Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: For the Gearheads: Post your question to Pierre de Beauport HERE!
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 28, 2014 12:47

Ok here's another one : where's the Tele Keith used on a fan's head during the 1981 PPV? Does the guitar show appearent damage and/or human tissue
(hair scalp?) >grinning smiley<

Date: February 28, 2014 12:48

dcba
Ok here's another one : where's the Tele Keith used on a fan's head during the 1981 PPV? Does the guitar show appearent damage and/or human tissue
(hair scalp?) >grinning smiley<

Was that the custom or one of the Newman Jones-Teles? I believe the latter.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 28, 2014 13:28

It was the custom Dandelion. Satisfaction was played and The Custom was used. During the 1981 tour Keith didn't use any Ted Newman-Jones. Mostly:

Fender Tele Black Custom (2 different ones)
Rosewood Fender Tele (On LSTNT and WOAF)
Micawber and Malcolm (On various warhorses)
The Sunburst '67 Tele (On YCAGWYW and TFR)
The Sunburst '57 Gibson Junior (Mostly in the shows leading up to mid-october)

Did I

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 28, 2014 13:29

forget any guitars??

Date: February 28, 2014 13:35

MadMax
It was the custom Dandelion. Satisfaction was played and The Custom was used. During the 1981 tour Keith didn't use any Ted Newman-Jones. Mostly:

Fender Tele Black Custom (2 different ones)
Rosewood Fender Tele (On LSTNT and WOAF)
Micawber and Malcolm (On various warhorses)
The Sunburst '67 Tele (On YCAGWYW and TFR)
The Sunburst '57 Gibson Junior (Mostly in the shows leading up to mid-october)

Did I

Thanks, I was thinking about the rosewood - sorry smiling smiley

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: February 28, 2014 14:04

Gear questions:

- Have you ever seen Charlie's old Ludwig and Gretch drumkits and are they in good condition?
- If you see a great guitar for Keith, can you just pick it up and buy it, or do you check with Keith first?
- Why does Chuck bring a Leslie simulator instead of a real one, is that to keep his onstage volume down?
- Have they ever considered bringing a real piano on tour, or is the consensus that it's just too much hassle with tuning and mic'ing?
- Did Charlie's flat 18" UFIP ride crack? When was this? Is he using a new replica now, or is it a similar old cymbal?
- Do Ronnie and Keith have a written inventory of all their guitars, is it sort of organised and known where everything is? Or are their guitars all over the place and is it sometimes tough for the crew to track them down?
- Is everyone in the Stones camp now totally disenchanted with the Music Man Silhouettes and Kramer guitars used in the late eighties/early nineties? What's your opinion on them?
- Before a tour, do you sit down with Keith and Ronnie to choose which guitars to bring, or do they leave that up to you?
- Ronnies Les Paul with the hole for the slide guitar in it; whose idea was this and who drilled the hole? smiling smiley
- Are there any guitars that Brian Jones used to own left in the Stones' guitar collection and are they aware of this when they play them?
- Ronnie seems real keen on the Versoul guitar. What is it about this guitar that he likes the most?
- When Mick plays keyboards during Worried About You he plays a modern keyboard. Have they ever tried a Wurlitzer or a Rhodes for him?
- What's your greatest guitar find for Keith?
- Do you get offered a lot of vintage guitars for the Stones and do you always pass them on and ask them if they're interested?

Human interest:

- If you could own one guitar in the Stones' collection, which one would you choose?
- What's your favorite Stones song that you wish they'd play live?
- Were you a fan before you began to work for them and were you familiar with all their songs, or did you have to catch up?
- Have you ever suggested songs for them to play live or is the setlist not something you interfere with?
- Do you have a favorite show that you remember?
- What's the most hilarious technical glitch that happened during a show?
- Has your job changed much over the years?
- These days the Stones don't do back-to-back shows anymore. What do you do on your days off?
- Are you working for the Stones, for Keith or for both?
- Are you working for them full time, or is there sometimes time for other projects?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 17:42 by thijs1981.

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: February 28, 2014 14:04

What type of accoustic guitar has Keith used for Angie?
And do yhey show the same guitar(s) in the video clip?

Mr.Fancyman

Date: February 28, 2014 14:53

Re the ABB album : it was recorded at Mick's Fourchette castle. Were you there? How were the guitars recorded : amps + mikes or D.I.?

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 28, 2014 15:20

partnerincrime
Hi Mathjis
pls ask Pierre about Micawber's wiring.
thanks
ciao
m.
MartinB
Does Keith use the humbucker on Micawber?

thumbs up Yeah, we need more details about Micawber. perhaps Malcolm and Sonny too.

since the pickup-slector-switch is nearly always seen in the bridge position...

does he use the Neck+Bridge combo?
is it a standard 3-way switch? or is it turned around?
what kind of pots are used for tone and volume? 250k, 500k, 375k ohm?
do they blend or are they wired in standard?

is Micawber's lapsteel bridge pickup potted with wax because of the one pulled magnet?
did you (Pierre) pull it?
What's the deal with the reversed neck pup? sometimes north, sometimes south.
are they different pickups?
what's the ohm reading of the humbucker? (i.e. how hot is it?)
what kind of caps are under the control plate?

since the 50 and counting tour the rig behind the amps has been thinned out.
what is todays signal flow from guitar to amp?

is the speaker with the Keith pics xerox a Celestion? which model?

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 28, 2014 16:02

Wouldn't it be nice if Keith actually did a video walk through of his guitar collection and gear kind of like John Entwistle did? At least for the sake of posterity?

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: February 28, 2014 16:15

Pickup question:

What bridge pickups Keith have in his Black Custom & Sonny? are those CBS era stock pickups or older ones? and how hot are those?

thanks Mathijs and Pierre drinking smiley

Date: February 28, 2014 16:24

What does Keith think of Mick's guitars, like the Tom Anderson(s) Mick bought for the 1989 tour.
Has he ever tried them?

More TA/Keith connection :
[www.andersonforum.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 16:28 by dcba.

Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: February 28, 2014 16:30

What's your favourite piece of kit that the Stones use?

What was your worst ever moment during a Stones show?

Date: February 28, 2014 17:01

How many archtop guitars Keith owns?

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: February 28, 2014 17:14

partnerincrime
Hi Mathjis
pls ask Pierre about Micawber's wiring.
thanks
ciao
m.

I did ask Pierre this question last year in Suresnes - he said the wiring on Micawber is the usual one, not the vintage type. Which would mean mostly the bridge pickup is used live.

Posted by: partnerincrime ()
Date: February 28, 2014 17:33

@gwen
thanks! but I'm puzzled as being a '53 tele it should have a blender selecting the bridge position: this blender should mix the humbucker with the bridge pickup (a lap steel one) and this would make sense in order to make the HB sound . otherwise it seems to me that the humbucker is mounted but not (or very rarely) played.
m.

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: February 28, 2014 17:39

partnerincrime
@gwen
thanks! but I'm puzzled as being a '53 tele it should have a blender selecting the bridge position: this blender should mix the humbucker with the bridge pickup (a lap steel one) and this would make sense in order to make the HB sound . otherwise it seems to me that the humbucker is mounted but not (or very rarely) played.
m.

I know, I was puzzled as well. But Pierre was amused that someone would think that the original wiring would be useful at all compared to the modern wirings.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: February 28, 2014 18:28

MartinB
Does Keith use the humbucker on Micawber?

Not these days, last time a saw Keith use the humbucker on any of his most famous teles was in Copenhagen 2007 when he played tumbling dice with Sonny and switched to the humbucker during the solo.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 28, 2014 18:34

TornAndFried
michaelsavage
Any truth to the rumors of people playing under the stage?

Having worked for the Stones on past tours I can answer this question myself.
No...there is nobody else playing under the stage, or behind the stage!

No one playing on the stage either, it's all tapes, even the mistakes are pre - mixed in.....................>grinning smiley<

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: February 28, 2014 18:51

Are there any new luthiers the Stones have their eyes on?

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 28, 2014 19:20

EddieByword
TornAndFried
michaelsavage

No one playing on the stage either, it's all tapes, even the mistakes are pre - mixed in.....................>grinning smiley<

Really?

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: February 28, 2014 19:30

Question regarding the studio version of Shattered:

Please explain which effects are being used (other than a phaser).

How did you get this sound?

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 28, 2014 19:57

mccparty

I think I can answer this one. The effect used on the studio version of Shattered is an MXR Phase 100 along with an MXR Analog Delay. There is also some compression used on the track to get that tone which may have come from either the studio effects rack ( probably a dbx 160 unit) or an MXR Dyna compressor pedal. Keith used the MXR Phase 100 and Analog Delay all over the "Some Girls" and "Emotional Rescue" albums.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-01 02:38 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: February 28, 2014 20:08

TornAndFried
mccparty

I think I can answer this one. The effect used on the studio version of Shattered is an MXR Phase 100 along with an MXR Analog Delay. There is also some compression used on the track to get that tone which may have come from either the studio effects rack ( probably a dbx 160 unit) or an MXR Compressor box. Keith used that MXR Phase 100 and Analog Delay all over the "Some Girls" album.

TornAndFried:
Thanks for the explanation. I absolutely love the sound of Keith's guitar on Shattered!

Date: February 28, 2014 20:29

mccparty
TornAndFried
mccparty

I think I can answer this one. The effect used on the studio version of Shattered is an MXR Phase 100 along with an MXR Analog Delay. There is also some compression used on the track to get that tone which may have come from either the studio effects rack ( probably a dbx 160 unit) or an MXR Compressor box. Keith used that MXR Phase 100 and Analog Delay all over the "Some Girls" album.

TornAndFried:
Thanks for the explanation. I absolutely love the sound of Keith's guitar on Shattered!

You're welcome. If you can get your hands on an MXR Phase 100 try setting #3 and play around with the speed until you get the approximate sound Keith used on the recording. The key to getting that percussive tone is to mute the strings with the palm of your left hand while picking. A little compression and delay really helps the sound to jump out. I don't know what guitar Keith used for this recording but probably the '72 Fender Telecaster Custom he used in the live shows in 1978.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-28 20:33 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: February 28, 2014 21:12

Seriously ??

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 28, 2014 21:44

His Majesty
Title5Take1
Were all the non-bass guitars on Jumpin' Jack Flash acoustic? Keith has answered in the affirmative to my satisfaction, but some Stones fans still insist it includes electric guitar(s).

There is about one acoustic or two acoustics on the track, the rest is all electrics.

The process the man himself described many times for Jumpin' Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man and Parachute Woman means that overdubbing could not be done using that process.

Dude, I'm not asking you.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: February 28, 2014 22:23

Title5Take1
His Majesty
Title5Take1
Were all the non-bass guitars on Jumpin' Jack Flash acoustic? Keith has answered in the affirmative to my satisfaction, but some Stones fans still insist it includes electric guitar(s).

There is about one acoustic or two acoustics on the track, the rest is all electrics.

The process the man himself described many times for Jumpin' Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man and Parachute Woman means that overdubbing could not be done using that process.

Dude, I'm not asking you.

I have no questions, HM grinning smiley

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 28, 2014 23:25

michaelsavage
EddieByword
TornAndFried
michaelsavage

Really?

Really.......seriously though, these days, who knows what's what? I just got a boot DVd of LA 20th May last year.
At the beginning of Midnight Rambler, Mick is close up by Mick Taylor playing the intro on the harmonica, Mick T is responding, then Mick Jagger walks away across the stage, lowers the harmonica down to his left side but the music carries on,,,,,,,,,,as though he is still playing...maybe the botlegger dubbed the wrong sountrack on the video?
I heard the other day that the beginning of Sympathy is a loop tape, that was really apparent at Glastonbury, full sound for the intro but no one playing anything....so, yeah, who knows what's live and what's tape?........

Date: March 1, 2014 00:14

EddieByword
michaelsavage
EddieByword
TornAndFried
michaelsavage

Really.......seriously though, these days, who knows what's what? I just got a boot DVd of LA 20th May last year.
At the beginning of Midnight Rambler, Mick is close up by Mick Taylor playing the intro on the harmonica, Mick T is responding, then Mick Jagger walks away across the stage, lowers the harmonica down to his left side but the music carries on,,,,,,,,,,as though he is still playing...maybe the botlegger dubbed the wrong sountrack on the video?
I heard the other day that the beginning of Sympathy is a loop tape, that was really apparent at Glastonbury, full sound for the intro but no one playing anything....so, yeah, who knows what's live and what's tape?........

The only pre-recorded tracks they use in the shows these days are the percussion loops on SFTD. Everything else is live. Charlie does not usually use a click track except for Sympathy. Chuck counts off the tempos which he gets from a metronome in his earpiece or on his keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-01 00:19 by TornAndFried.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2639
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home