Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
Ronnie Hints That A Duets Album May Be In Stones Future
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:01

A Rolling Stones "Duets" Album? Ron Wood Hints Potential New Project

Posted on 2/25/2014 9:24:00 AM by Gary Graff.

Could a duets album be the Rolling Stones next recording project? Guitarist Ron Wood has hinted at that in an interview with a radio station in Abu Dhabi, where the Stones kicked off their 14 On Fire Tour of Australasia last week.

Wood said that frontman Mick Jagger is considering the venture, noting that, "Sometimes we do duets with different rock artists all over the world, and I think that's in the back of his mind, to make an album with some of the guests we have."

In fact, during the Stones' Fifty And Counting Tour dates in 2012 and 2013, the Stones were joined by artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, John Fogerty, Bonnie Raitt, Dave Grohl, Sheryl Crow, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, Christina Aguilera and others.

The Stones continue the 14 On Fire Tour with three shows in Tokyo on February 26 and March 4 and 6 and finish on April 5 in Auckland, New Zealand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 03:04 by tatters.

Re: Ronnie Hints That A Duets Album May Be In Stones Future
Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:13

Oh no. I keep seeing rumors about this and hoping they go away. Not to speak for others on IORR but I bet we might have as close to a consensus on this issue as we are going to get on anything. As for the broader fanbase, apparently Mick knows better than me. I think they need new marketing people.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:15

Looking forward to the Gwen Stefani duet...NOT!
Funny how she's not mentioned in the above statement.

Would like to hear Beck, Clapton, Fogerty, and a small handful of others.
Wonder if they would they record new stuff, or release the live stuff from Fifty And Counting...?

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:26

Yuck.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:34

Maybe they can sing with Frank Sinatra.

Date: February 26, 2014 03:34

Just think how many potential buyers there would be. That's what Mick's thinking. He's thinking 55,355,391 Taylor Swift facebook friends can't be wrong.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:35

How bout a godamn Mick and Keith Duet???

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:42

tatters
Just think how many potential buyers there would be. That's what Mick's thinking. He's thinking 55,355,391 Taylor Swift facebook friends can't be wrong.

If it were a Taylor Swift duets album there would be a potential to sell millions. But a Stones duets album with Taylor, or Katy Perry, or Lady Gaga....not so much interest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 03:43 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 26, 2014 03:46

On the plus side, an official release of "I'm Going Down" would be nice.

Date: February 26, 2014 03:51

TornAndFried
tatters

If it were a Taylor Swift duets album there would be a potential to sell millions. But a Stones duets album with Taylor, or Katy Perry, or Lady Gaga....not so much interest.

Maybe not in the entire album, but they'd sell a lot of downloads of individual tracks to fans of whoever is featured on those tracks.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: February 26, 2014 04:06

Gary Graff might be reading a wee bit into Ronnie's comment, while omitting some other bits.

Radio 2's Digby Taylor initially asked Ronnie about a new album, and his followup question yielded the abbreviated reply quoted in the WCSX Detroit "news" item.

Q: What about a new album?

A: I don’t know — we’ve got to get these gigs over first.

Q: Would you do a live album?

A: That’s up to Mick, the way he feels. Sometimes we do duets with different rock artists over the world, and I think that’s in the back of his mind, to make an album with some of the guests we have.

Graff also named Christina Aguilera as a guest on 50 & Counting. She wasn't.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: February 26, 2014 04:15

Q: Would you do a live album?

A: That’s up to Mick, the way he feels. Sometimes we do duets with different rock artists over the world, and I think that’s in the back of his mind, to make an album with some of the guests we have.

That sounds like he just means Mick's thinking of cobbling togethor the live guest slots already recorded from last year and 2012 as a live album not a new duets 'project' album ala Elton John............

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 26, 2014 04:19

Yeah, I agree sounds like the idea is a live album of their duets...lets hope he picks well!

Date: February 26, 2014 04:43

A live album involves much less work, so I'm sure that's the way they would go. I'm also sure it's something that's much more than just "in the back of his mind." I've said all along it's the reason they did all those duets last year. They were making an album.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 05:09 by tatters.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: February 26, 2014 05:39

This idea bombed on his "Goddess In The Doorway" album.

I don't think the mix of other huge artist's and the mix of Mick's and Keith's opinion would work. I think that is a recipe for disaster.

Pecman

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 26, 2014 05:48

...no no ...please don't ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 26, 2014 05:52

One per show isn't awful enough? It's hard to imagine a lousier idea. The only halfway decent duet on the recent tour was Aaron Neville. Keep the rest.

Date: February 26, 2014 05:55

In 2000, Mick saw the huge success of Santana's collaboration album and probably thought I am X times bigger than Santana...I could triple those sales...but it didn't turn out that way...collaborations work when you are smaller or less popular than the people you are asking to collaborate with.

Stone fans want to hear the Stones...not Gaga or Perry or whoever on their records...maybe a guest of Clapton or something...but it has to make sense and be low key.

Pecman

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 26, 2014 05:59

if the songs are good, the record will be good. if not...

Date: February 26, 2014 06:11

As a Stones fan...I love everything they do...but if you remove yourself and your bias...when was the last time the had a song that moved the masses?

I would hate to see them go out with a collaboration album.

Mick just doesn't understand how great The Stones are and they don't need any side salad to be great.

I was so pissed on the Shine A Light movie when they interviewed who happened to be popular at the moment to give their prospective on The Stones.

People are going to look at that movie in time and say "who are these people to give their opinion?"

Do you think the Kings Of Leon are going to last 20 years?...to be worthy of offering their opinion in that movie?....pa...leeeezzzzeeee.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 26, 2014 07:00

whitem8
Yeah, I agree sounds like the idea is a live album of their duets...lets hope he picks well!

Hope Mick picks well? From what? He picked a diverse group of popular rock, pop and country stars for the guest spots, but very few worked out well musically. Many of the guest artists did not really know the songs they were singing on, and their vocal styles were often not well suited to the songs or the Stones. The guest artists may have been exciting to see for some, at the shows, but very few would be good enough to release on a CD or DVD without a lot of overdubs. It could be an interesting idea if they got some really worthy guests, but most of the performances from the US shows last summer were quite lame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 07:03 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 26, 2014 08:07

Name me one duet that actually worked well and deserves repeated listening...hm...Under The Boardwalk maybe, but that's not enough to fill an album. If Mick wants to do it, a lot of guest artists would have to re-record their vocals...out of tune, out of timing, missed cues, missed or wrong lyrics occured simply too often.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 26, 2014 08:26

In other words, no new songs.

Let's hope they don't tour behind the idea.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: February 26, 2014 10:18

If they make a double album, one of which a studio album of new songs, the other consisting of live duets, that is very fine with me. I will certainly buy it.

If they release an album of those live duets only, I shall try not to complain, I usually don't. But most probably, almost certainly, I will not buy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 10:18 by Witness.

Date: February 26, 2014 10:34

Bitch with Gary Clark should open this album. Wild Horses with Gwen Stefani should end it.

Seriously, Mick, don't do this! thumbs down

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: February 26, 2014 10:37

Uh, people are aware that buying this/any album is optional, right?
Same with listening to any album... that is pretty much optional also.

Date: February 26, 2014 10:42

I will buy it anyhow, Max smiling smiley

AND a possible studio album..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: February 26, 2014 10:42

Pecman

Mick just doesn't understand how great The Stones are

Oh, I think he does. I think no-one knows that better than Mick. Except Keith.

I wasn't keen on the guests either, and am not enthused by the prospect of this album. BUT gotta say a word for Taj Mahal. Guy was good!

Date: February 26, 2014 10:49

I doubt The Stones are even considering that this duets thing will be bought in large numbers by any Stones fans, they know that Stones fans already own plenty of live Stones albums. If they do this project it will be to SELL PRODUCT to the fans of the guests, and if those fans BUY this album in the numbers which they buy albums downloads of thier favs (Swift, Aguilera, Perry, Gaga, Mayer, Crow, Blige, Clark Jr, Black Keys, Foos, etc etc) then The Stones could have a hit on their hands and maybe earn some new fans.... AND get some radio play on sations that play new music... and maybe earn some new fans... maybe earn some new fans who have not even started to think about growing grass on their lawns yet.

And that would be a bad idea because... uhmm.... ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-26 11:00 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: February 26, 2014 10:54

DandelionPowderman
I will buy it anyhow, Max smiling smiley

AND a possible studio album..

Id LOVE to buy a studio album,
I dont know if I will buy the duets thing or not.

btw- Didnt someone started a thread about this duets album a long time ago, I forget who... oh now I remember winking smiley

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home