Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Nicky Hopkins' 70th birthday
Posted by: Screamer ()
Date: February 24, 2014 16:19

Rest in peace.

Re: Nicky Hopkins' 70th birthday
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: February 24, 2014 16:46

Quicksilver Messenger Service-Edward, The Mad Shirt Grinder (Nicky Hopkins)
This track is from the Fantastic Vinyl "Shady Grove"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 10:22 by runaway.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 24, 2014 18:54

Long gone, but never forgotten. Here's my favorite photograph of him.

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: February 24, 2014 21:00

Happy birthday dear Nicky! Ain't he lovely? (as Mick said in 1973)

Always in our hearts and our favourite songs.

My personal video showing how to play Loving Cup's intro. BTW, my piano's name is Nicky smiling smiley (an old 1904' Steinway)

Facebook video

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 24, 2014 21:34

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: February 24, 2014 22:48

Posted by: winos ()
Date: February 25, 2014 00:13

Greatest piano player the Stones ever had bar none! The biography on Nicky's life "and on piano" is an interesting read with his work with great musicians.

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: ash ()
Date: February 25, 2014 00:46

What a fantastic player he was along with a handful of other top, top session people....i hear him on my Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Airplane records and more. It probably don't count for much when you're dead but all the same, a big mark of success for a musician has got to be when people (and a lot of them too) are still listening to you play years after you died and thinking how great your work on that track is. Thanks Nicky. Happy Birthday.

Posted by: mrpaulincanada ()
Date: February 25, 2014 03:45

Dandelion1967....

very nice video...if you have any more videos of Nicky's Rolling Stones piano parts I would love to see and listen to them!

Thanks for the post

Paul

Date: February 25, 2014 04:44

mrpaulincanada
Dandelion1967....

very nice video...if you have any more videos of Nicky's Rolling Stones piano parts I would love to see and listen to them!

Thanks for the post

Paul

Soon I'll be adding more videos, keep in touch or email me.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: February 27, 2014 08:14

Listened to Loving Cup on that first clip and it's always still surprising to me just how great that music of our youth actually was! Fantastic stuff and I have to feel a little sorry for the generations that came next. Imagine actually looking down on real musicians and craftsmen such as the Stones and many others (The Band) to tout such complete rubish as punk rock, rap and hip-hop. Ain't even in the same league and give me a musician over somebody good at talking fast in ryhms any old time. Yes kids Levon Helm was thousands of years better than Sid Vicious or Tupac and some things you just can not arque!

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: February 25, 2015 02:23

Birthday's come around every year and it's Nicky's turn again. Born February 24, 1944, Nicky Hopkins would have been 71 today.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 25, 2015 09:07

Wouldn't have been the same without Nicky. Left us way too soon...Happy 70th!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 25, 2015 09:22

One of the finest musicians ever lived. Happy 71th birthday, Nicky, wherever you are.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: February 25, 2015 10:10

Happy Birthday on your 71'st, having a great jam up there with the rest of the greats. smileys with beer

Date: February 25, 2015 10:35

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnUZlRdUx8c

I just 'heard' this track recently. beautiful Nicky. Flourishes at the end.

How does one actually get the youtube vid to show? Not just the link? Take out the http?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 10:36 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2015 10:44

Palace -- drop the s off http

ROCKMAN

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 25, 2015 10:44

My favourite rock pianist of all time. A very sensitive player. Too many great piano parts to just pick one! Ventilator Blues, Monkey Man, Jealous Guy, Winter, She's A Rainbow, Sway and We Love You are classic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 10:46 by RomanCandle.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 25, 2015 11:18

Love and light to Nicky, and thanks and praises

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 25, 2015 15:42

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the best!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: February 25, 2015 16:57

Hopkins died on 6 September 1994, at the age of 50, in Nashville, Tennessee, from complications resulting from intestinal surgery presumably related to his lifelong battle with Crohn's Disease.

wikipedia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-25 16:57 by triceratops.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: February 25, 2015 17:10

Wish you a good one in the Skies , Nicky.
Thanks for your music, and for being a great person.

One Love

jeroen

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 25, 2015 17:35

Always loved this one, was psyched to finally get it on vinyl recently.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: February 25, 2015 17:35

rob51
Listened to Loving Cup on that first clip and it's always still surprising to me just how great that music of our youth actually was! Fantastic stuff and I have to feel a little sorry for the generations that came next. Imagine actually looking down on real musicians and craftsmen such as the Stones and many others (The Band) to tout such complete rubish as punk rock, rap and hip-hop. Ain't even in the same league and give me a musician over somebody good at talking fast in ryhms any old time. Yes kids Levon Helm was thousands of years better than Sid Vicious or Tupac and some things you just can not arque!

ROFL

at this post.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: February 25, 2015 21:23

Nicky was the icing on the cake for some of my favorite Stones tunes. The piano on She's a Rainbow still makes me smile every time. I believe his playing influenced the Stones to produce some of their very best stuff, things just felt so good when he was working his magic, I'm sure as much for the band as the audience. Hard to even think of him as a side man, he was such an important part of the music...to me he was a Rolling Stone.

Was it his health that caused him to quit touring with the Stones? Were there any shows with Billy Preston AND Nicky?

Seems all the records he worked on from Between the Buttons to Tattoo You were the best the Stones ever put out. Perhaps he was more influential to their musical success than is generally acknowledged.

A fond image I have of him is politely sitting at the piano at Nellcote, hands on the keys, eyes closed, meditating....waiting for the band to show up. peace

Date: February 26, 2015 00:22

rob51

Music moves on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-02-26 00:23 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Re: Nicky Hopkins'
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: February 26, 2015 09:24

Yes it was his health which stopped him from touring with the stones. At one point I think they asked him to join the band. At least I think I remember reading that tidbit in his autobiography- but it has been awhile. He was on Beatles, stones, Lennon and Harrison albums to name a few.

Date: March 1, 2015 17:47

Never seen this before.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1526
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home