Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Ladies and Gentlemen... The Houston Shows
Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: January 19, 2014 02:14

As you all know, four concerts (the two Ft. Worth shows and the two Houston shows) from the 1972 tour were filmed for Ladies and Gentlemen... The Rolling Stones.

I'm from Houston, so these shows have always intrigued me. Unfortunately, I was still in diapers in the summer of 1972, so I couldn't attend. The shows were in Hofheinz Pavilion (the same venue where I saw Madonna on her 1985 tour - yeah, I can admit that), the 10,000 seat, single-level basketball arena on the campus of the University of Houston.

I ran across these accounts of the two shows. They include pictures and reviews from different newspapers of the day. There are a few errors, and a general inability to make it clear whether they were talking about the early show (Mick was in a blue jumpsuit) or the late show (white jumpsuit), but they are interesting and informative nonetheless.

Here is a modern day account and picture repository from the only daily Houston newspaper still in existence:

[blog.chron.com]

And here is a great collection of scans of original articles from the various papers of the region (including an underground paper called "Space City!" - yes, the exclamation point was part of the name):

[stoneslib4.homestead.com]

Enjoy.

By the way, I finally did see the Stones when they came to Houston in 1989. It was a good show and all, but I was 17 years too late. Them's the breaks. I'm glad they opened the archive so that we have Ladies and Gentlemen (and other recordings) to recall the glory days.

-Reagan

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-19 02:26 by Reagan.

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen... The Houston Shows
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 19, 2014 02:59

interesting- image 30 is cool in that you can see the backstage exit - also- looks like there is seating behind ertegun and capote - which is weird- had to be obstructed

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: January 19, 2014 06:38

This guy William M Smith says Billy Preston opened the evening show in Houston. Is that true? First I've heard of that.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 19, 2014 10:30

BTW: guess this question was asked elsewhere (I certainly did ask it before) but wonder if anyone knows:

Do we know if the full film of the 4 Texas 1972 shows exists? is it like with the Woodstock material that was, actually, kept all the time? or is it like with the "LIfe of Brian" outtakes that were practically lost - only revived since someone accidentally found them?

Did any filmed material (the professional film) "post Ladies and Gentleman" ever appeared so we may assume that the raw material is still there in a known location? I know that the (nearly) full Ft. Worth shows appeared on bootlegs, but do not know if the share the same source as the "official" Ladies and Gentleman".

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 19, 2014 11:25

Very nice. Thanks for finding it and posting it here

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 19, 2014 14:59

I haven't seen it confirmed that all the shows exist, but they probably do, considering that they used CS Blues outtakes and released a fair amount of other things in recent times. And, most importantly, I guess, because they did some pretty serious film shooting and released it on a major film/record company.

The Ladies & Gents release we got recently was a bit disappointing and would have been much more exciting had they put out the whole shows on 4 dvds or so.

Date: January 19, 2014 16:28

shawnriffhard1
This guy William M Smith says Billy Preston opened the evening show in Houston. Is that true? First I've heard of that.

Yeah, I thought that was interesting too. And to make matters more confusing, no one of the other papers reviewed the evening show. So, it's not like we could look to them for confirmation.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 19, 2014 17:35

The Stones at their height. The L&G DVD was indeed disappointing because the sound quality wasn't any better than the best bootlegs we already had. And as Lieb said, no extras included, while it's more than probable that there's more material, if only Rocks Off.

Date: January 20, 2014 19:30

Hi Kleermaker,

I agree about the sound quality. Not terrible, just disappointing. As for extras, I like the rehearsal footage. So we got something there.

By the way, I noticed that Can't You Hear Me Knockin' from Glastonbury has been deleted from your channel. Did YouTube do that?

-R

Date: January 20, 2014 19:49

Reagan
Hi Kleermaker,

I agree about the sound quality. Not terrible, just disappointing. As for extras, I like the rehearsal footage. So we got something there.

By the way, I noticed that Can't You Hear Me Knockin' from Glastonbury has been deleted from your channel. Did YouTube do that?

-R

Yep, the video was blocked worldwide. I've tried it three times: the first time it was allowed quite some time, the second time shorter and the third time it was blocked the minute is was uploaded. A pity.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: January 20, 2014 19:56

Since it was on Youtube for quite some time I'm sure everybody on iorr has the entire Glasto show on their hard disc...?

Date: January 20, 2014 19:59

Somebody posted a link to the full show in another thread earlier today...

Date: January 20, 2014 20:25

kleermaker
The Stones at their height. The L&G DVD was indeed disappointing because the sound quality wasn't any better than the best bootlegs we already had. And as Lieb said, no extras included, while it's more than probable that there's more material, if only Rocks Off.

It's that the concert film has poor sound, though, as the bootleg CD has crisp and clear sound...

Date: January 20, 2014 20:32

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

It's that the concert film has poor sound, though, as the bootleg CD has crisp and clear sound...

Yeah, but I'm not sure all the songs (performances) from the movie are available on high quality bootleg CD?

Date: January 20, 2014 20:34

LieB
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

Yeah, but I'm not sure all the songs (performances) from the movie are available on high quality bootleg CD?

Good observation. There might be some differences there...

Date: January 20, 2014 20:48

DandelionPowderman
LieB
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

The famous Ft Worth Express bootleg (et al) is from the 2nd Ft Worth show, from which they took only two songs for the film. The 1st show (four songs featured in the movie) is only out on decent audience boot, as far as I know. Likewise, I don't think there's much of the Houston material on boots which sound any better than the movie. Here are the sources in the film (taken from [www.nzentgraf.de]):

740301A 1st March: New York City, unknown cinema or venue: Preview screening of
the movie ‘Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones’. Directors: Rollin’ Binzer & Stephen Gebhardt. Incl.
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Bitch (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Dead Flowers (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Happy (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Sweet Virginia (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- All Down The Line (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Midnight Rambler (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Band introduction -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Bye Bye Johnny (Chuck Berry) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Rip This Joint (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-20 20:51 by LieB.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 20, 2014 20:52

Im from Houston, and I always thought it was cool that the Stones iconic period was captured on film in Houston. I attended my niece's high school graduation a few years ago, and it was held at the Hofheinz Pavilion and was amazed at how small the venue is/consider that it's been expanded as well.

Date: January 20, 2014 21:53

LieB
DandelionPowderman
LieB
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

The famous Ft Worth Express bootleg (et al) is from the 2nd Ft Worth show, from which they took only two songs for the film. The 1st show (four songs featured in the movie) is only out on decent audience boot, as far as I know. Likewise, I don't think there's much of the Houston material on boots which sound any better than the movie. Here are the sources in the film (taken from [www.nzentgraf.de]):

740301A 1st March: New York City, unknown cinema or venue: Preview screening of
the movie ‘Ladies And Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones’. Directors: Rollin’ Binzer & Stephen Gebhardt. Incl.
- Brown Sugar (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Bitch (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Dead Flowers (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Happy (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- Tumbling Dice (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Love In Vain (Robert Johnson) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Sweet Virginia (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 1st
- You Can’t Always Get What You Want (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- All Down The Line (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Midnight Rambler (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd
- Band introduction -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Bye Bye Johnny (Chuck Berry) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Rip This Joint (MJ/KR) -Fort Worth 24.6.72, 2nd
- Jumping Jack Flash (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 1st
- Street Fighting Man (MJ/KR) -Houston 25.6.72, 2nd

what about the bootleg called Ladies And Gentlemen (TMOQ)? I know it's supposed to be mp3, but the sound is marvellous, and the clarity is another league than the film.

if you have the boot, listen to SV for instance. We hear clearly everything Taylor plays. Must be remixed, or is it from another source?

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 21, 2014 15:12

what about the bootleg called Ladies And Gentlemen (TMOQ)? I know it's supposed to be mp3, but the sound is marvellous, and the clarity is another league than the film.

if you have the boot, listen to SV for instance. We hear clearly everything Taylor plays. Must be remixed, or is it from another source?[/quote]

This is an interesting question, would love to read an answer too. I was very disappointed about the audio on the L6G official release, there is another bootleg called "You can´t do that Baby" with much better, clearer sound ... Don´t know the TMOQ-release, is this one even better?

Date: January 21, 2014 15:19

muenke

if you have the boot, listen to SV for instance. We hear clearly everything Taylor plays. Must be remixed, or is it from another source?

This is an interesting question, would love to read an answer too. I was very disappointed about the audio on the L6G official release, there is another bootleg called "You can´t do that Baby" with much better, clearer sound ... Don´t know the TMOQ-release, is this one even better?[/quote]

I suspect YCDTB and the TMOQ are taken from the same source.

It's been a while since I listened to those releases, but I suspect the performances are the same as in the film as well... That would make it even stranger, though.

Date: January 21, 2014 17:17

I´m pretty sure, that at least YCDTB is the soundtrack from the film ... Perhaps they really just remastered the audio from the old vhs-tapes or got their hands on the mastertapes (not very likely I think), who knows ...

Date: January 21, 2014 17:28

muenke
I´m pretty sure, that at least YCDTB is the soundtrack from the film ... Perhaps they really just remastered the audio from the old vhs-tapes or got their hands on the mastertapes (not very likely I think), who knows ...

YCDTB is indeed the soundtrack from the film and all CD's from the film are from the same source. The CD from the 2nd Ft Worth show as Lieb mentioned up here is much better as for its sound quality.

L&G has something with the drums that's not okay, and the guitars are both in the very middle. The sound is also too compressed and not dynamic enough. It could have been so fantastic in great sound quality.

Date: January 21, 2014 18:53

They can't make improvements like these by using the film audio as the source, kleerie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 10:46 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: January 21, 2014 21:17

DandelionPowderman
They can't make improvements like these by using the fil audio as the source, kleerie.

My thoughts too, to be honest ...

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 21, 2014 21:51

Amaze your friends...have fun while learning a trade!!

Rebuild the DFW shows with these:

Touring Party 1972 (Rattlesnake RS 048-54) CD 1 (exc. stereo soundboard)
You Can't Do That Baby (VGP-314)(exc. stereo soundboard)
Plug In Flush Out (VGP-259)(exc. stereo soundboard)
and the best sound
Ahmet Ertegun Thank You Kindly (C2C001)(exc. stereo soundboard)

Date: January 21, 2014 23:55

kleermaker
YCDTB is indeed the soundtrack from the film and all CD's from the film are from the same source. The CD from the 2nd Ft Worth show as Lieb mentioned up here is much better as for its sound quality.

Are you saying all the boot soundtrack CDs are sourced from (the same mix as) the movie and therefore sound just as mediocre as the movie?

Munichhilton -- what do you mean with "DFW"? Dallas Fort Worth?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 22, 2014 04:00

LieB
kleermaker

Are you saying all the boot soundtrack CDs are sourced from (the same mix as) the movie and therefore sound just as mediocre as the movie?

Munichhilton -- what do you mean with "DFW"? Dallas Fort Worth?

Yeah, that's the place!

Date: January 22, 2014 12:44

confused smiley

it´s getting tricky ....

Date: January 22, 2014 13:25

Alright, I just got the You Can't Do That Baby bootleg from the Hotstuff section and indeed it's the soundtrack from the movie without a second missing. I've been comparing the sound between this boot and the movie (i.e. a downloaded copy of the official dvd as well as different youtube clips from the film, both official and user-uploaded).

Basically the mix is the same, but they sound different. The movie sound is bassier and has more punch, generally, but the boot has clearer sound, more treble, appears wider, more roomy and with a tad bit more audience presence. Overall the movie has a more muffled sound. The difference is mostly on the EQ, but the panning seems to different as well. The boot has some weird panning at times; Happy has the vocals mostly to the right (!).

On some songs, like Sweet Virginia, the boot is clearly better. On other songs, like All Down The Line, it's a closer call, so to speak.

It would be fun to replace the movie sound with the boot audio in a video editing program, but I don't feel like I have the time now.

Date: January 22, 2014 13:28

<but the boot has clearer sound, more treble, appears wider, more roomy and with a tad bit more audience presence.>

Exactly, and the clarity also makes it way easier for the listener to hear the different instruments clearly. That is what baffles me, because the only way to get an improvement in the instrument separation like this would be a remix, imo.

<On some songs, like Sweet Virginia, the boot is clearly better.>

The acoustic guitar sound on SV is unbelievably good, compared to the film, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 13:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home