Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Ladies and Gentlemen... The Houston Shows
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 22, 2014 13:35

Yeah. I don't know why Eagle Rock didn't make a real remix (like they did with the official Brussels release). Perhaps they were unable to find the tapes. The film is so popular it seems like such an obvious mistake otherwise.

I mean, if someone like me could improve the sound with the help of a bootleg...

Anyway, here's a bonus, a little favourite of mine -- a film outtake of Happy without vocal overdub and a more energetic performance:

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 22, 2014 14:03

Wow - this is becoming an interesting thread, but plz: not all of us are Americans so try and avoid all the initials/nicknames that I guess are familiar mostly to US English speakers... sad smiley

Anyway: question: for Gimme Shelter, for an example, I know 2 Texas recordings that are certainly not an audience recording: guess both are from the Ft. Wort shows:

The version of the song that is also in the film: I suspect I can recognize at least 2 different ones with somewhat different mix or even speed.

The version of the other show - the one with the "aggressive" Nicky Hopkins piano that is, on one hand, in great quality but on the other the mix seems not to have been worked on.

If indeed these are 2 "line recordings" (I use this term and hope its correct) - how come the "2nd" version turned out on boots? does it have a filmed version too? was it known already in the 70'S?

I'm not a big boot collector - mainly since I do not live around where these circulated and once the HTTP world started, I was already not in that stage.

Cheers.

Date: January 22, 2014 16:07

Wroclaw,

The Gimme Shelter version in the film is from Fort Worth 1st show. Apart from the songs in the movie/soundtrack, there is no complete soundboard recording of this show. There is one audience recording of it, and it's worth hearing especially for the only live rendition ever of Sweet Black Angel.

The 2nd Fort Worth show indeed has the Gimme Shelter with a prominent Nicky Hopkins. I think this version is better than the 1st show version in the movie. They should have chosen this one instead. This show is available in near-complete excellent soundboard. The whole show was most definitely filmed - as far as I know they filmed both Houston shows and both Ft Worth shows and picked individual performances for the film. The Happy performance I posted above, plus one performance of All Down The Line are the only outtakes available, as far as I know.

Below is some info on the Fort Worth shows from the (slightly outdated) Rolling Stones FAQ part 2. As you can see, Ahmet Ertegün, Thank You Kindly is a great choice if you wanna hear the second Ft Worth show in great quality. It's one of the best boots from the '72 tour.

Fort Worth 6/24/72 1st show; 83 min; 6.5 m; "Sweet Black Angel"
The first and second show are out complete from 1st generation previously
uncirculated audience tapes, recorded near the stage. Keith's guitar is very
loud but not objectionable; otherwise these are very nice recordings though
perhaps a bit trebly. Most interesting to collectors, these shows feature
rare songs, as the band was filming the "Ladies and Gentlemen" tour movie.
The 1st show includes the previously unknown Sweet Black Angel and Dead
Flowers. (Also available on a competing CD "Ain't No Angel on Main Street,"
also a 4CD set, said to sound better, and with bonus tracks from Philly).

Fort Worth 6/24/72 2nd show; 76 min; 8.0 s; "Ahmet Ertegun Thank You
Kindly"/others
A soundboard tape turned up for this show in 1998, minus two songs. This is
well worth hearing, and it's not the usual spliced sources like Philadelphia
Special. This recording is now out on at least 5 different CDs. I quote from
an Undercover review: "...I have every FtW 6/24/72 2nd board CD ever issued,
and this one is *quite clearly the best*. The VGP 'Fort Worth Express' was
the incremental leader, IMO, but AETYK is leaps better still, and doesn't have
the phony Happy that VGP inserted. The hiss reduction is finally complete,
yet the sonic details are still there through the headphones. Compare LIV and
the astounding, clean excellence of this remastering is immediately evident.
Congratulations to the chef for this major upgrade, this quantum leap. All
previous FtW releases are hissy messes compared to AETYK." Another Undercover
review added: "Everything else released from this show is now pretty
useless... Whoever [did] the remastering on this title [did] a spectacular
job... I really can't think of anything I'd like different with this release,
bar the obvious one of being a complete show (so the audience tape is still
worth hanging on to). The single CD is bursting with exciting listening; the
pace of the performance, combined with shit-hot '72 playing, and the pristine
sound quality of this particular title are ingredients which simply can't be
beat. Very nice job indeed." Note: Includes Don't Lie to Me. (This show is
also available on the "Mick Taylor We Miss You" CD, from a totally different
audience tape, which is not as good. This is not to be confused with the old
LP of the same name, which is the Philadelphia/ Fort Worth soundboard
recordings).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-22 16:10 by LieB.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 22, 2014 17:52

LieB

The 2nd Fort Worth show indeed has the Gimme Shelter with a prominent Nicky Hopkins. I think this version is better than the 1st show version in the movie. They should have chosen this one instead.

Agreed. Thanks for bringing to notice.

Date: January 22, 2014 22:37

LieB - wow: thank you for a great answer. So, if I got it right, we may assume the the 2nd FW recording came from the "official" recordings done by the bank and which eventually were the base of the film? Are the boot recordings of the specific FW#2 songs that were in the film, similar to those of the actual film? same mix/sound?

BTW: I like both GS Fort Worth versions! the one with Nicky Hopkins (where was he during the first? he cannot be heard I think) is very energetic. The one in the film is well filmed and I think there are many Stones fans who really enjoy watching MT doing his bits with the light isolating him from the rest of the band, hidden in the dark.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 23, 2014 14:07

It amazes me that this film could be so lame, yet the snippets from @#$%& Blues are simply amazing!
What a difference. ..

Date: January 23, 2014 14:08

Eleanor Rigby
It amazes me that this film could be so lame, yet the snippets from @#$%& Blues are simply amazing!
What a difference. ..

Agree, but are the snippets from CB sped up?

Date: January 23, 2014 14:23

Hmmm..maybe..it certainly does feel more electric in CB..

L and G seems stale..and the hideous black background and no audience (until the end) doesnt work..I know the filmaker was trying something. .but I dont like it.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 23, 2014 22:14

Kleermarker, this is amazing, which Bootleg is this taken from?

Date: January 23, 2014 22:50

muenke

Kleermarker, this is amazing, which Bootleg is this taken from?

Sure very good: compare the L&G Shelter with this Shelter here: much better sound quality here! I compared it with the boot Rolling Stones Touring Party 1972 vol. 1 Rattlesnake (containing both FW shows). I'm almost sure it's from that boot, because Happy is missing and the sound quality is the same. I also have a boot with almost the same sound quality which also has Happy (after Tumbling Dice). That boot is called Forth Worth Express (VGP 205) and contains only the second show. But because Happy is missing in the video it's not that boot.

If you don't have it: enter the Stones Vault here and get them!

Were the Stones great in 1972 or what!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-23 22:58 by kleermaker.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 23, 2014 23:03

kleermaker

Nae bad, nae bad.

Date: January 23, 2014 23:07

His Majesty
kleermaker

Nae bad, nae bad.

Have just one listen, only one! grinning smiley

Date: January 23, 2014 23:18

kleermaker

I've heard a lot of this era before sir. I am warming to it again, but long exposure to guitar playing with that honky ampeg tone gives me a sore head.

smiling smiley

Date: January 23, 2014 23:21

His Majesty
kleermaker

I've heard a lot of this era before sir. I am warming to it again, but long exposure to guitar playing with that honky ampeg tone gives me a sore head.

smiling smiley

Okay, take it easy then. I'm just downloading the live boots from the Jones era you recommended. A first quick listen is promising: Ruby Tuesday live from back in the day is great. I've always loved that particular and unique Stones song.

Date: January 23, 2014 23:30

Pity Jones recorder playing is so all over the place. grinning smiley

Date: January 23, 2014 23:42

Wroclaw
LieB - wow: thank you for a great answer. So, if I got it right, we may assume the the 2nd FW recording came from the "official" recordings done by the bank and which eventually were the base of the film? Are the boot recordings of the specific FW#2 songs that were in the film, similar to those of the actual film? same mix/sound?

You're welcome. The mix in the 2nd Ft Worth show tracks in the movie are different from the boots of the same show (Ahmet Ertegün Thank You Kindly, Fort Worth Express, the youtube video above, etc.). The boots are a bit dirty sounding, but the mix is better than in the movie, in my opinion. My guess is that they picked some songs and mixed them for the movie specifically. But why they mixed the whole 2nd Ft Worth show that we have on boot I'm not sure. Perhaps it was for possible radio playing, perhaps it was just for the band's own use, or maybe it was for the '72 live album they worked on but never released. The bootleg closest to that live album is called Keep Your Motor Running and contains (semi)finished tracks with overdubs and stuff. It's mostly from Philadelphia but has Happy from Fort Worth 1st show.

Wroclaw
BTW: I like both GS Fort Worth versions! the one with Nicky Hopkins (where was he during the first? he cannot be heard I think) is very energetic. The one in the film is well filmed and I think there are many Stones fans who really enjoy watching MT doing his bits with the light isolating him from the rest of the band, hidden in the dark.

It's interesting that you mention the dark filming. You have a point there, but I always thought it was inferior and I'm a little disappointed that the movie is so dark, especially on that epic number Gimme Shelter. I pretty much agree with Eleanor Rigby about the movie and I enjoy the live clips in CS Blues very much.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 24, 2014 11:49

kleermaker

Sure very good: compare the L&G Shelter with this Shelter here: much better sound quality here! I compared it with the boot Rolling Stones Touring Party 1972 vol. 1 Rattlesnake (containing both FW shows). I'm almost sure it's from that boot, because Happy is missing and the sound quality is the same. I also have a boot with almost the same sound quality which also has Happy (after Tumbling Dice). That boot is called Forth Worth Express (VGP 205) and contains only the second show. But because Happy is missing in the video it's not that boot.

Bedankt Kleermarker! I think I will try and get a copy of Rattlesnakes "Touring Party", because I think I need this as a physical release ... Any idea? Discogs?

Date: January 24, 2014 13:08

LieB
Wroclaw

You're welcome. The mix in the 2nd Ft Worth show tracks in the movie are different from the boots of the same show (Ahmet Ertegün Thank You Kindly, Fort Worth Express, the youtube video above, etc.). The boots are a bit dirty sounding, but the mix is better than in the movie, in my opinion. My guess is that they picked some songs and mixed them for the movie specifically. But why they mixed the whole 2nd Ft Worth show that we have on boot I'm not sure. Perhaps it was for possible radio playing, perhaps it was just for the band's own use, or maybe it was for the '72 live album they worked on but never released. The bootleg closest to that live album is called Keep Your Motor Running and contains (semi)finished tracks with overdubs and stuff. It's mostly from Philadelphia but has Happy from Fort Worth 1st show.

Wroclaw

It's interesting that you mention the dark filming. You have a point there, but I always thought it was inferior and I'm a little disappointed that the movie is so dark, especially on that epic number Gimme Shelter. I pretty much agree with Eleanor Rigby about the movie and I enjoy the live clips in CS Blues very much.

Agree that the movie is a dud but the specific GS part is filmed and edited quite well. That specific number also has a relativly high and frequent presence in youtube clips and "how to play" guides which means many people find it great.

The other FW GS is totally different: great advocate for how great and creative they were. its almost like from another tour. Not so much for the MT solo, as with the L&G but an amazing "Rythem" section elevating the song to new hights with MT giving a constant support all the way non stop. Would be great to see it on film I guess... the problem is that the L&G and FW bootlegs never became as epic as Brussels affair so didnt get an official release and remastering of the kind we would have wanted.

Date: January 24, 2014 16:40

muenke
kleermaker

Bedankt Kleermarker! I think I will try and get a copy of Rattlesnakes "Touring Party", because I think I need this as a physical release ... Any idea? Discogs?

You're welcome of course. But alas I am of no use concerning buying boots. The last ones I bought during the first half of the 70tees, in vinyl-form! All digital stuff I have I got here and elsewhere on the web and made some cd's myself by burning the downloaded stuff. For free. smiling smiley. Praise and glory to all the guys who made that possible!!

Date: January 24, 2014 18:07

A nice full concert video of Pittsburgh would be nice..:-)

Date: January 24, 2014 18:36

Or Mobile, Alabama in soundboard.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 24, 2014 19:58

The funny thing about the "Ladies and Gents" film was the fact that it really was outstanding from a sound standpoint when it was first released and it was moving from city to city with the Quad sound system. I saw it three times in Chicago. It could be that the soundtrack did'nt break down well apart from this format. The later regular theater release did not sound any where near as good. I would go so far as to say it was flat in comparison. The volume needed to be turned up LOUD and most theater did'nt/wouldn't do that.

Wasn't Keith involved with mixing this film? I seem to remember reading something to that affect or else it was there when the credits rolled. Either way, the official release DVD audio was disappointing compared to the boots of this movie. Boot video quality not as good but the sound was better. The official release got the video improved, but suffered with the audio. Who does this stuff anyway? How hard is it to get it right?

Date: January 24, 2014 20:04

filstan
The funny thing about the "Ladies and Gents" film was the fact that it really was outstanding from a sound standpoint when it was first released and it was moving from city to city with the Quad sound system. I saw it three times in Chicago. It could be that the soundtrack did'nt break down well apart from this format. The later regular theater release did not sound any where near as good. I would go so far as to say it was flat in comparison. The volume needed to be turned up LOUD and most theater did'nt/wouldn't do that.

Wasn't Keith involved with mixing this film? I seem to remember reading something to that affect or else it was there when the credits rolled. Either way, the official release DVD audio was disappointing compared to the boots of this movie. Boot video quality not as good but the sound was better. The official release got the video improved, but suffered with the audio. Who does this stuff anyway? How hard is it to get it right?

Indeed, how hard can it be in this mega technological era?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: January 24, 2014 20:24

kleermaker
filstan

I often contend that these projects can end up in the wrong hands controling the quality of the release.

Indeed, how hard can it be in this mega technological era?

Date: January 24, 2014 20:27

I notice some phasing in the sound.

Date: January 24, 2014 20:31

His Majesty
I notice some phasing in the sound.

Yes!

Posted by: kevinkamphuis ()
Date: January 24, 2014 21:33

All 4 shows where recorded on 32-track multitrack tape! They should've mixed it like Get Yer Ya Ya's Out! The '69 multi's sound awsome!

The Gimme Shelter movie has beautiful picture & sound quality. Ladies & Gentlemen was filmed on 16mm, and later cropped from 4:3 to 16:9 for Cinema release...

My holy grail?

A rescan of the original film negatives of all 4 shows + a remix of the multi's. Release all 4 shows on bluray in the original aspect ratio...

Outtakes? Yes. A rescan of the @#$%& Blues concert footage.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: January 25, 2014 04:11

Eleanor Rigby
A nice full concert video of Pittsburgh would be nice..:-)

Get in touch with this guy

Pittsburgh Post Gazette
January 21, 2007
Pat Murphy, Hidden Valley, Pennsylvania
The second memory occurred on July 22, 1972 when I attended a Rolling Stones concert at the Civic Arena. Having a super 8 mm movie camera in hand, a friend and I managed to work our way behind the stage area where Mick and the Stones were performing. As I filmed rather up close this really exciting performance, my friend began pulling me backwards as two tough looking band security guards approached us with what appeared to be clubs in hand. We were able to return to our seat unscathed and enjoyed the rest of the show from a distance

Date: January 27, 2014 18:56

I just uploaded my version of the American tour to YouTube, including all songs they've played during that tour (Loving Cup, Ventilator Blues etc.).

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 27, 2014 19:07

kevinkamphuis
All 4 shows where recorded on 32-track multitrack tape!

32-track tape machines were certainly not available in 1972, nor was 24-track. The L&G soundtrack was most likely recorded on dual 16-track recorders synched together. Perhaps someone on here knows more details?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 19:18 by TornAndFried.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home