Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Gimme Shelter (1969 Tour)
Date: January 27, 2014 00:05

I've often wondered how often they played this on the 1969 USA tour. I have a copy of their Oakland gig so I know it was performed there. I guess they didn't do it in NYC but any other ideas as to where it was played that year?

Re: Gimme Shelter (1969 Tour)
Date: January 27, 2014 00:11

Was performed in Ft Collins on opening night; both Oakland shows; in Phoenix; and the two last shows @ West Palm Beach and Altamont.

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: January 27, 2014 00:23

Keep in mind that "Let It Bleed" had't been released yet at the time of the '69 tour so audiences were hearing the songs from the album (including Gimme Shelter) for the first time at those shows.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 00:42 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 27, 2014 01:18

The only rendition of Gimme Shelter from the 1969 Tour that I have heard is from Oakland, CA. It's a pretty straight-up, no-thrills performance, but stellar. Actually, I think this may have been it's debut.

Date: January 27, 2014 01:47

What show is the version of Gimme Shelter in the film of the same name from?

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 27, 2014 04:04

TornAndFried
Keep in mind that "Let It Bleed" had't been released yet at the time of the '69 tour so audiences were hearing the songs from the album (including Gimme Shelter) for the first time at those shows.

I've often wondered if that was a scheduling misfire or what. That used to happen occasionally back then. When I saw George Harrison in 1974, the Dark Horse album was released a month later, and he played 3 or 4 tunes from that where the audience wasn't familiar with it at all. Same thing with Zeppelin and ITTOD and Kenbworth.

Date: January 27, 2014 04:44

What version is the best from that tour? The Oakland one? Altamont? Are there no other boot versions out there?

Date: January 27, 2014 04:54

tomk
TornAndFried

I've often wondered if that was a scheduling misfire or what. That used to happen occasionally back then. When I saw George Harrison in 1974, the Dark Horse album was released a month later, and he played 3 or 4 tunes from that where the audience wasn't familiar with it at all. Same thing with Zeppelin and ITTOD and Kenbworth.

Yes, but keep in mind the purpose of touring back then was to boost record sales so maybe the idea of touring before an album's release was to generate interest in the album so there would be some advance buzz. Or perhaps it was simply that the tour was already scheduled months in advance and for some reason or another the release date of the record got pushed back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 05:30 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 27, 2014 07:32

Richard from Canada
What version is the best from that tour? The Oakland one? Altamont? Are there no other boot versions out there?

There are 6 Gimme Shelter's from 1969, as Palace wrote, all available on bootlegs and torrents.
Altamont is the best one IMO, but the version in the Gimme Shelter movie was edited into 2 minutes. The full 4 minute version exists on bootleg in soundboard quality

Date: January 27, 2014 07:35

Erik_Snow
Richard from Canada

There are 6 Gimme Shelter's from 1969, as Palace wrote, all available on bootlegs and torrents.
Altamont is the best one IMO, but the version in the Gimme Shelter movie was edited into 2 minutes. The full 4 minute version exists on bootleg in soundboard quality

So, the version we hear in the Gimme Shelter movie is from Altamont?

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 27, 2014 08:38

Erik_Snow
Richard from Canada

I know they also did at least one GS in 1970 (Sweden?). Is it on boot? I mean the actual 1970 number not some 1969 GS put into a boot pretending to be the 1970 one. thks.

BTW: can anyone speculate how come GS was rarely, if at all, played during 1970-1, while on 1972-3 it was always played? such an iconic song for the atmosphere back in 1970 and they didnt play it? strange....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-27 08:40 by Wroclaw.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 27, 2014 08:44

TornAndFried
Erik_Snow
Richard from Canada

So, the version we hear in the Gimme Shelter movie is from Altamont?

Yes. there is also a good boot recording of this song from Altamont: all good but some yellings by one of the audiance clearly sound here and there. I think its on youtube as well. guess it was taken by that couple who can be seen at the film as well, holding a tape recorder not far from the stage.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 27, 2014 08:55

It was performed several times in thrilling fashion on the 1970 European tour.

Date: January 27, 2014 10:44

Reading your book now, stonesrule. Very promising so far thumbs up

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 27, 2014 13:48

Date: January 27, 2014 15:49

Here's another question. Is it Mick T on lead for GS during the tour?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 27, 2014 16:26

Richard from Canada
Here's another question. Is it Mick T on lead for GS during the tour?

No, during the 1970 he took it more or less, to have it totally in 1972 and '73.

Posted by: RWFish ()
Date: January 27, 2014 16:30

As I recall from the time; the album was delayed because the vocals for some of the songs had been accidentally erased. Mick Jagger was in Australia [Ned Kelly] and the band had to wait for him to return to rerecord his vocals. I always wondered if this was the reason for Keith's vocals on 'You Got The Silver'

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: January 27, 2014 19:37

RWFish
As I recall from the time; the album was delayed because the vocals for some of the songs had been accidentally erased. Mick Jagger was in Australia [Ned Kelly] and the band had to wait for him to return to rerecord his vocals. I always wondered if this was the reason for Keith's vocals on 'You Got The Silver'

There is a boot version of 'Silver' with Jagger on vocals. I believe it shows up on 'Accidents Will Happen' The recording date given is Feb 1969 at Olympic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2626
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home