Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Rock And A Hard Place
Date: January 6, 2014 19:56

Doxa

At least they tried. Namely, seriously reinvate and update their sound. That alone is a merit in my book even though the results are not so convincing. They haven't tried that much ever since. It was partly for that reason why retro-like VOODOO LOUNGE, and tracks like "Love Is Strong" sounded sonically so good at the time - the band at least sounding like good ole Stones, even though weren't much more substance. Better to play it safe.

- Doxa

For more head-to-head comparisons, I look to I Go Wild and You Got Me Rocking both of which showcase the Don Was brokered Jagger-Richards compromise.

Rock And A Hard Place at least has a time and place - it is somewhat more effective and "better sounding" than "I Go Wild". It is also a masterpeice in relation to "You Got Me Rocking"

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 6, 2014 20:10

wanderingspirit66
Doxa

At least they tried. Namely, seriously reinvate and update their sound. That alone is a merit in my book even though the results are not so convincing. They haven't tried that much ever since. It was partly for that reason why retro-like VOODOO LOUNGE, and tracks like "Love Is Strong" sounded sonically so good at the time - the band at least sounding like good ole Stones, even though weren't much more substance. Better to play it safe.

- Doxa

For more head-to-head comparisons, I look to I Go Wild and You Got Me Rocking both of which showcase the Don Was brokered Jagger-Richards compromise.

Rock And A Hard Place at least has a time and place - it is somewhat more effective and "better sounding" than "I Go Wild". It is also a masterpeice in relation to "You Got Me Rocking"

I'll second to that. To me those two tracks sound like 'The Stones for dummies'; the first time ever I felt like the band is underestimating the taste and intelligence of their listeners. In a way they were also then following the trends of contemporary rock and roll scene as far as the production goes, but the songs themselves are so damn unispired and weak, that I wonder what a hell Jagger was thinking. Or if he was thinking anything, as it more sounds like.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-06 20:15 by Doxa.

Date: January 6, 2014 20:25

YGMR always get an undeserved rap by the fans because of the lame live renditions AFTER 1995. The studio version still sounds good, nowhere near the mediocrity of IGW. RAAHP is a pop/rock stadium number, a big song, compared to the two others, imo. Not my favourite, though.

Date: January 6, 2014 20:44

DandelionPowderman
YGMR always get an undeserved rap by the fans because of the lame live renditions AFTER 1995.

Probably, but the shows I've attend to, and the song played as number two or something, it usually worked mighty fine, building up the atmosphere, making people sing-along the easy refrain, etc. You know, making the party going on. I guess knowing how pragmatic they are, they play - or used to play - it just not for being easy one to play, but that it also worked rather well in a concert context, much to a horror of hardcore fan base, who wants "Sway" or "Dance Little Sister" or something.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-07 09:52 by Doxa.

Date: January 6, 2014 20:59

DandelionPowderman
YGMR always get an undeserved rap by the fans because of the lame live renditions AFTER 1995. The studio version still sounds good, nowhere near the mediocrity of IGW. RAAHP is a pop/rock stadium number, a big song, compared to the two others, imo. Not my favourite, though.

Yes, one can hear that is a serious try to write a "big song" compared to the other two that sounds like being total autopilot throwaways they are able to create half-sleep in two minutes with no energy wasted. But probably they tried too hard to make it a 'big song', and it didn't turned out to be so convincing, I don't know.

But the biggest problem is the production and one needs really educated ears to get through that these days..grinning smiley In a way, it reminds me some of the problems I had with listening Jagger's solo records at the time - the voice didn't sounded like being at home in that slick, over-produced context (a bit like Dylan in EMPIRE BURLESQUE). But now it was the whole damn band lost in that very context.

- Doxa

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: January 6, 2014 21:41

frankotero
Carster- have you heard this version? [...]

Yes.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: January 6, 2014 21:54

...not that bad...I have always liked it..good rhythm guitar..

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 6, 2014 22:14

Rock and a Hard Place and Steel Wheels in general, were issued when I first became a Stones fan, so I'm quite ambivalent towards it. Not a great Stones piece of rock and definitely have that typical "Reunion single new song so that people wont say we toured again just for the money" - even though it actually was part of a full album. On the other hand... it is always attached for me with the memories of buying my first Stones album (actually an official Album Cassette that was cheaper than a disc/LP.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2014 22:59

It's awful, but yet some what ace at the same time. grinning smiley

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: January 6, 2014 23:05

Forced

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 6, 2014 23:08

You Got me Rocking is not a song, but a snack, and a mighty good one. Rock And A Hard Place is your neighbors' new car he keeps parking for your door just to show off.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 6, 2014 23:42

His Majesty
It's awful, but yet some what ace at the same time. grinning smiley

My sentiments exactly - >grinning smiley<

might I add that I feel the same way about latter day Mick Jagger

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 7, 2014 00:06

I like it.

“As good be hang’d for an old sheep as a young lamb.” — 1678, in a book of English proverbs.

worldwidewords.org says: "The [proverb's] origin lies in the brutal history of English law. At one time, a great many crimes automatically attracted the death penalty: you could be hanged, for example, for stealing goods worth more than a shilling. Sheep stealing was among these capital crimes. So if you were going to steal a sheep, you might as well take a full-grown one rather than a lamb, because the penalty was going to be the same either way. The law was reformed in the 1820s to end the death penalty for the crime."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 7, 2014 00:11

Yeah has some good lines in it ...

And the city gets bigger as the country comes begging to town

ROCKMAN

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: January 7, 2014 00:17

Bought the album on cassette as well in '89 and I loved this tune then and I love it now as well. (Productions quite awful but I prefer Steel Wheels mastering to ABB mastering....)

The lyrics are my favourite one from a Stones record I'd say, cos you can use it both when the chix are mean or if you just feel down about the World in general....

The lot of you who can't relate to the song's lyrics... ?? Come on, they are complete and although I dig charlie if it's good (which nowadays it is NOT)

this song's lyrics are far better than examples like: "head full of snow" or "if I ever get back to NY Child I'm gonna make you jump and shout."

Everyone can relate to RAAHP in a way that maybe 37-year old Giannina from Catania can't do to, for instance, @#$%&...

Date: January 7, 2014 00:18

Hehe I wrote the original title of Star Star... it got censored =)

Date: January 7, 2014 00:19

Yeah Rockman!!! That's a great line!!!! I agree!!!smileys with beer

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 7, 2014 00:51

I truly like it. Superb bass and drums.

C

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 7, 2014 02:25

Love it! The comeback Stones!

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: January 7, 2014 03:05

Like running your fingers along a sterile chalky blackboard.

About six months ago I watched it from At the Max and it seemed to really rock, making me think that it was one of those songs that was uninspiring in the studio but worked on stage. I had another watch and listen just now and I didn't feel it this time.

I think that we need to give the Stones a break for being "average rockers" from the mid Eighties onwards.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2014 03:21

MileHigh
Like running your fingers along a sterile chalky blackboard.

About six months ago I watched it from At the Max and it seemed to really rock, making me think that it was one of those songs that was uninspiring in the studio but worked on stage. I had another watch and listen just now and I didn't feel it this time.

I think that we need to give the Stones a break for being "average rockers" from the mid Eighties onwards.

Or criticize Jagger for wanting to sound like average rockers by draping the sound in the gaudy robes of every slick new production value that comes along, instead of going with what is timeless and effective--just being "the Stones".

Did the Allman Brothers ever cut a disco track?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 7, 2014 07:06

I'm going to indulge and link my own thread, to—again—put dismissive criticisms of the Stones in perspective >>> [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 7, 2014 07:38

I liked it at the time. Thought Charlie sounded great on it. Chris Kimsey's responsible for that. But some are right, the snare sound on VL is terrible.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2014 10:21

I liked it at the time as well...a relief after Dirty Work. Just doesn't stand the test of time though...ironically One Hit To The Body from Dirty Work, which I kind of see as it's brethren, is a far better song.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 7, 2014 10:30

treaclefingers
I liked it at the time as well...a relief after Dirty Work. Just doesn't stand the test of time though...ironically One Hit To The Body from Dirty Work, which I kind of see as it's brethren, is a far better song.

I kind of see Undercover of the Night as its brethren.... come to think of it, it's probably more its uncle. Perhaps One Hit is the prodigal son of the family.smiling smiley

Posted by: SixesandSevens ()
Date: January 7, 2014 10:35

Title5Take1
I'm going to indulge and link my own thread, to—again—put dismissive criticisms of the Stones in perspective >>> [www.iorr.org]

Great thread! Thanks, Title5Take1.

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 7, 2014 10:40

drewmaster
A lame, embarrassing attempt to sound relevant. Pretentious lyrics, irritating melody, and horribly sterile production. I would take Back to Zero any day over this garbage.

Drew

Yep. Makes me cringe more than anything else they've ever done. And I like Steel Wheels...

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: January 7, 2014 14:23

Certainly not worse than sad sad sad

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: January 7, 2014 15:26

Rockman
Yeah has some good lines in it ...

And the city gets bigger as the country comes begging to town

PRECISELY.

Intelligent lyrics.

compare the DUMB lyrics to YGMR and IGW

It re-uses the Soul Survivor in a much more creative way and context than the lame and dull "It Must Be Hell" - which is.

RAHP hasattack and a freshness, whether you like the production or not.

It's not a silk purse but it's certainly no sow's ear.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-07 15:37 by Deluxtone.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 7, 2014 15:46

Unlike "Undercover" and "One Hit", which sound great to me today, this one hasn't aged well. I think it's just not a very good song. The funny thing is, just when you thought the Stones had lost it, you flip the 45 over and listen to "Cook Cook Blues" and think damn, what an amazing band.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1876
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home