Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: most dissapointing Stones TOUR
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 2, 2014 19:32

Every tour has its highs and lows. But no tour is diappontiing throughout.
Even 1989/90 has its moments.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 2, 2014 20:48

The 1968 tour was disappointed only one show and no live recordings confused smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: January 2, 2014 21:06

The 1792 American tour was a big disapointment. Riots broke out at every performance when Mick said he thought re-electing George Washington was a bad idea, Keith's cravat kept getting in his way and ruining Brown Sugar, and the sudden loss of Ben Franklin before the tour started meant they didn't have their best roadie to fix the PA system. grinning smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 2, 2014 21:56

2013 - they didn't come anywhere near me!

Date: January 2, 2014 22:00

NICOS
The 1968 tour was disappointed only one show and no live recordings confused smiley

And still they released a dvd and an album from that "tour": Rock'n'Roll Circus winking smiley

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 2, 2014 22:04

I would say 81. Lousy stage. Crappy set list. It was the 80's. Enough said.

Date: January 2, 2014 22:19

The music they played in 81 had nothing to do with the 80s smiling smiley

Cochran and Smokey Robinson covers, the warhorses, UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS, LMG, SSC, TY-songs (written in the 70s) + SG-songs. How can that setlist be typical of the 80s?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: January 2, 2014 22:56

DandelionPowderman
The music they played in 81 had nothing to do with the 80s smiling smiley

Cochran and Smokey Robinson covers, the warhorses, UMT, LSTNT, TIOMS, LMG, SSC, TY-songs (written in the 70s) + SG-songs. How can that setlist be typical of the 80s?

Everything sucked in the 80's even The Stones.

Re: Most disappointing Stones tour
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: January 2, 2014 23:20

Hands down 1981! Every song was played rapidly like they were just trying to get it over with. The scarf trick during Tumbling Dice! The ridiculous costumes! And a horrible set list!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 2, 2014 23:29

flacnvinyl
DandelionPowderman
there should be no need for generalising the Stones tours. Some shows are excellent, and some not so good on every tour smiling smiley

EXACTLY. On ABB I went to a ton of shows. The tickets were expensive but not offensively priced ($750... phffffff). However, on A Bigger Bang the performance and PA sound were so drastically different every show it was difficult to gauge performances!!! Examples..

Chicago - 9/10/05 - Decent performance, guitars were low in the mix. During the encore, a blazing and lengthy version of IORR, Blondie's acoustic guitar was louder than the entire band. I was furious. Couldn't hear Ronnie and Keith behind the BACKUP SINGER'S GUITAR. Someone punch the sound guy from this tour.

Columbus - 9/25/05 - Better sound, fantastic setlist, fun show... When they got to the b-stage, we could not longer hear Ronnie at all. This makes songs like Oh No Not You Again sound horrid. Ronnie was playing great, they just wont put him loud in the mix for some reason.

Memphis - 12/3/05 - By far my least favorite Stones show that I have ever attended. The softest guitar mix I have ever heard at any concert in my entire life!! When you are straining to hear Keith, and Ronnie is absent in the mix, you know it is a bad show. The crowd was not very responsive either. Mr. Pitiful was the lone exception that night. They did a great version of that track but otherwise they were just coasting. However, the reviews (link) put me in the minority. Then again, I recorded it so I have some evidence to backup my complaints. Perfect sound on the recording but I can't fix the PA mix through EQ.

thats interesting. I do think overall the ABB tour was their weakest performance wise in terms of consistency and content (although luckily out of the 13 I attended, I didnt see any shows that I thought were poor - and some were terrific) but based on bootlegs, the shows in Houston and Memphis were amongst the best of the 2005 leg. Houston being my personal favourite. I dont care for the first couple of months of that tour at all - for me the 2005 leg kicked into life around the time they played the Hollywood Bowl in early November.

I'm not a fan of the '76 tour at all, although I enjoyed the Paris & Knebworth pro shot footage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-02 23:30 by Gazza.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 2, 2014 23:34

donvis
Hands down 1981! Every song was played rapidly like they were just trying to get it over with. The scarf trick during Tumbling Dice! The ridiculous costumes! And a horrible set list!

Think there may have been some indoor skiing involved with the pacing. Wasn't that the tour Ronnie was freebasing? Until recently, they've always played fast. Listen to Brussels Affair.

Date: January 2, 2014 23:40

81-82 tour was great, content wise. Half the songs in a very long show never played before (in Europe anyway as they didnt tour here with Some Girls) and several songs that had hardly been played live in a decade or more - Under My Thumb, LSTNT, Time is on My Side etc.

Stadium tours with barely a warhorse in sight. It CAN be done.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 2, 2014 23:46

If the Stones released a Hit album like they did
when they went on tour in 78 and 81 they wouldn't need to play
as many WarHorses..

Without anything new or hot all they can do is play songs that
fans that have money want to hear AGAIN..

Something to reminds us when we were young again.

Yesterday's Papers!!

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: January 2, 2014 23:47

2007 wasn't all that bad, some good shows, boring set list. A Bigger Bang Tour 2005-2006 was worse, everything sounded a bit uninspired. But the bigger band tour on a whole was a big decline from the Licks Tour. The Licks Tour was better in every way, tighter playing, more instresting setlists, more groove and power to their sound.

The 50 & Counting Tour on the other hand is bad in an all new way. Of course they do at times sound very good and impressing (atleast for their age), but my overall impression of the Stones playing in 2012-2013 is disgusting hit-filled set lists, songs played at a weird slow tempo (with no groove to it), and unmotivated high ticket prices.

Mick's comment on that people ''look glumy at you'' when he sings the new songs on stage is just absurd. After 50 years on stage, he has no self-confidence at all?

Posted by: murf3901 ()
Date: January 3, 2014 00:05

i can't say any particular tour out of the 4 tours i attended were disappointing.
i can say that the shows i attended in each tour were significantly different, and some would rate higher than others.

in general they group up like this:
no security - anaheim pond 2 & mgm grand - both amazing - 8/10

licks - staples, anaheim stadium, wiltern, mgm grand 1 & 2 - all amazing - 8/10

abb - anaheim stadium, hollywood bowl #1, mgm grand #1, the forum, & dodger stadium - all good shows - 7/10
50th ann - anaheim pond 1 & 2 - both amazing - 9/10

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: January 3, 2014 00:28

TheBlockbuster

The 50 & Counting Tour on the other hand is bad in an all new way.

Agreed. Maybe it will kick into high gear when the Stones play to the core fan bases in Europe and South America.

The 2005-07 tour was wildly inconsistent, but even the weak shows were intriguing in their own way. And sublime shows, as Gazza mentions, such as the Hollywood Bowl pair more than atoned.

Exotic locations (Budva, Wichita, Copacabana Beach) helped. As Mongoose said, "A lot of it also has to do with what your mood was like during the concert, who you were with, the behavior of the fans around you, seat location, and on and on."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-03 00:30 by DeanGoodman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 3, 2014 00:51

donvis

Please elaborate on the scarf trick.I thought I was the only person who saw this. Nobody else remembers it.

Some kinda magic trick where Mick pulled out a huge scarf? Memory is vague due to passage of time and chemical intake that day (Orlando 2nd day).Thanks!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 3, 2014 01:26

I agree with gazza re the 1981 tour being great "content wise", but thats where the greatness stops.
Im also not a fan of the VL Tour..
ABB tour must be the worst performance-wise.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: January 3, 2014 02:25

Everybody complains about the tours post 1989 but this is were the deep cuts came in. Monkey Man, Moonlight Mile Can't you Hear.... . What did wew get in 81? let It bleed, Time is on our side.....um you could keep it. lame lame lame.

Date: January 3, 2014 02:31

hot stuff
If the Stones released a Hit album like they did
when they went on tour in 78 and 81 they wouldn't need to play
as many WarHorses..

Without anything new or hot all they can do is play songs that
fans that have money want to hear AGAIN..

Something to reminds us when we were young again.

Yesterday's Papers!!

Those tours started around the time the albums came out. As they always do. Sometimes the album comes out after the tour has started. It wasnt as if they released an album, it was a monster hit and then they chose to build a show around it.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 3, 2014 03:26

Big Al
Performance-wise, only the post-head injury performances of 2007. Keith was most definitely 'off', but understandably so.

I don't think any were bad tours per say but the ABB tour is the most inconsistent I have seen IMHO. Keef's playing was more bad then good on that tour based on the shows I attended and all the bootleg audio and video I havelistened and watched.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: January 3, 2014 04:51

I totally agree with Torn and Frayed. Everything since 1982 is props over music. Havent had much use for their live sound since 1982

Posted by: tornnfrayed ()
Date: January 3, 2014 04:58

donvis

I saw the Stones at Madison Square Garden on the 81 tour and the sound was just amazing, though I also did not like the set and what they wore, hairdos etc. But you know there was still a lot of excitement around the tours and the band at that time. It still felt like a Stones tour. The atmosphere around the garden before the show was electric as it used to be in those days. The next tour I saw was 89 and it was awful. And I have not been back since.

Posted by: Spodlumt ()
Date: January 3, 2014 05:01

I loved the '81 "Tattoo You" Tour. They were drunk and disorderly, but we were happy to see them after the demise of the Who, Lennon and Zeppelin. The most offensive thing I have ever seen concert wise was the "50 and Counting Snore" featuring the reprehensible Brad Paisley, Keith Urban and Taylor Swift duets and the other completely lame acts designed by Mick to make the band (or probably him - but the other cash-grabbers went along with it) seem relevent. What a waste of a golden opportunity. I have not one ounce of regret missing that disgusting display of pandering. Truly sad.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 3, 2014 05:02

donvis

Well they were pretty coked up for that tour.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 3, 2014 05:49

I have never been disappointed at any of the shows I attended. Some were better than others and I do believe the band has missed some opportunities to do some different and unique things over the years but I have never been disappointed by a performance.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: January 3, 2014 06:09

Voodoo Lounge
-Worst opening song
-sound mixing sucked
-The structure and arrengements to similar to the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle(that tour was awesome but since then they and Chuck have been stuck with the same arrengements of many songs but i prefer some risks in that)
-No Bill Wyman, i first realised how brilliant player he is when he was not there, he is so much in the Stones sound and all the songs seem to me slower without him
-The playing speed was lacking imo.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: January 3, 2014 06:41

Steel Wheels and 2007!

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: January 3, 2014 07:42

Surprised at the Steel Wheels Tour bashing here...they hadn't toured for 8 years, everyone thought they were through until the Hall of Fame induction, a new album (okay that hasn't aged well) that was pretty well received at the time...sold out shows in most cities, and incredible stage, great sound system (much better than '78 and '81..by miles) and they pulled out songs from their back catalog...never though I'd hear Ruby Tuesday live...ever

They were voted the Best live act of the year by Rolling Stone...it was a fantastic time to be a Stones fan..calling it one of the most disappointing tours just baffles me.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 3, 2014 08:22

Odd nobody's mentioned '78, which I think is one of their best tours, yet certain gig get bashed around.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home