Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Voodoo Lounge album
Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: October 27, 2013 07:52

I love really like this album but have always felt it could have been the great album of the 90s if a "less is more" approach had been taken.

1. "Love Is Strong"
2. "You Got Me Rocking"
3. "The Worst"
4. "New Faces"
5. "Out of Tears"
6. "I Go Wild"
7. "Suck on the Jugular"
8. "Mean Disposition"
9. "Zip mouth angel"

I think if it had been clipped to the above and the addition of the beautiful "Zip mouth angel" the album may have been regarded as classic and a must.

I ran off a copy of this and it's pretty much 'my' Voodoo Lounge if you will.

Anyone agree?

Re: Voodoo Lounge album
Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: October 27, 2013 07:58

A trimming down may have worked OK, but I'm personally not a fan of your tracklisting. Because out the the 3 songs I mainly listen to on the album, you took out 2. You Got Me Rocking, Moon Is Up and Blinded By Rainbows have always been my favorites.

Posted by: erad ()
Date: October 27, 2013 08:15

Thru and Thru is a favourite track of mine.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: October 27, 2013 08:27

I think best post exile record except sweethearts forever weak. Would love to hear mean disposition live.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 27, 2013 08:53

OzHeavyThrobber
I love really like this album

You're going off it already. winking smiley

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: October 27, 2013 10:09

Could have been a classic if Mick decided to keep his best material for The Stones.

But he opted to give us a mind-blowing soloalbum (WS) instead.
And gave his weaker material to the stones.

Half of the album is filler.
Might be my least favorite Stones album.
Although it was the first Stones release that I was looking forward to (I became a fan in 1991, Highwire).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 27, 2013 11:14

Since taste in Music seems to differ it's Always the wrong way to cut songs instead of add...I Think this album is perfect as it is...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: October 27, 2013 13:20

OzHeavyThrobber
I love really like this album but have always felt it could have been the great album of the 90s if a "less is more" approach had been taken.

1. "Love Is Strong"
2. "You Got Me Rocking"
3. "The Worst"
4. "New Faces"
5. "Out of Tears"
6. "I Go Wild"
7. "Suck on the Jugular"
8. "Mean Disposition"
9. "Zip mouth angel"

I think if it had been clipped to the above and the addition of the beautiful "Zip mouth angel" the album may have been regarded as classic and a must.

I ran off a copy of this and it's pretty much 'my' Voodoo Lounge if you will.

Anyone agree?

I agree - but I think Suck On The Jugular is the worst song on the album, I always skip that one. I think it's crap - and i love honest man, Jump On Top Of Me, The Storm - so there's few outtakes that could have been perfect on the album. The album would have been perfect without Baby Break It Down, Suck On The Jugular, but I cant imagine the album without Thru And Thru.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: October 27, 2013 14:09

I like pretty much the whole album... I liked it out of the gate...

OPEN 24 HOURS A DAY... at the VooDoo Lounge

I loved the album, I loved the tour,
I liked the ticket prices and 7 shows I saw on that tour and
I loved the good time and good songs and good people I shared it all with.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: October 27, 2013 16:31

The Storm should be on there!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 27, 2013 17:36

Love Is Strong (Bob Clearmountain mix)
You Got Me Rocking
Sparks Will Fly
The Worst
Jump On Top Of Me
The Storm
Moon Is Up
Out Of Tears
I Go Wild (Scott Litt remix)
I'm Gonna Drive
Brand New Car
Thru And Thru

I'm not a big fan of Sparks Will Fly but it does scoot along and they played it live on the tour. You Got Me Rocking, well, THEY have made it into a warhorse so...

Date: October 27, 2013 17:40

Ive said it before, and I will say it again, if people like this album and like American football then be sure to watch the movie The Replacements, (starring Keanu Reeves, the great (and now retired)Gene Hackman and the very very sexy Brooke Langton) it has a lot of songs from this album well placed in the movie. I think it a nice change of pace to hear other Stones songs in am ove besdies the same (GREAT) one they always use.

the full movie-

as usual with these things who knows how long it will last for free... get it while the getting good, and enjoy those Stones VL songs in the sound track.

ps
click the youtube box to go to youtube to see it in full screen.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: October 27, 2013 17:43

There are a few things on Voodoo Lounge that sound like vintage Stones (e.g., New Faces, Out of Tears, Moon is Up), but nothing on that album stands up to their best work or even repeated listening. Others never should have seen the light of day (e.g., Suck on the Jugular, Baby Break It Down, Sweethearts Together). I Go Wild is godawful calculated stadium rock fodder. At least they appeared to be trying. B2B is their best post-89 album by a mile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-27 18:37 by ab.

Date: October 27, 2013 17:48

Max'sKansasCity
Ive said it before, and I will say it again, if people like this album and like American football then be sure to watch the movie The Replacements, (starring Keanu Reeves, the great (and now retired)Gene Hackman and the very very sexy Brooke Langton) it has a lot of songs from this album well placed in the movie. I think it a nice change of pace to hear other Stones songs in am ove besdies the same (GREAT) one they always use.

the full movie-

as usual with these things who knows how long it will last for free... get it while the getting good, and enjoy those Stones VL songs in the sound track.

ps
click the youtube box to go to youtube to see it in full screen.

That's actually the first place I heard any songs from Voodoo Lounge.

Date: October 27, 2013 17:54

I listen to Out Of Tears, The Worst and I Go Wild the most from this LP.

New Faces is HORRIBLE.

Date: October 27, 2013 18:08

NoCode0680
Max'sKansasCity
The Replacements, (starring Keanu Reeves, the great (and now retired)Gene Hackman and the very very sexy Brooke Langton) it has a lot of songs from this album well placed in the movie. I think it a nice change of pace to hear other Stones songs in a movie besides the same (GREAT) one they always use (Looking at you Marty).

thumbs up The Stones songs worked well in that movie, very well.

and ummmm Brooke Langton, a very beautiful woman,
I still think she could be a super star, that smile of hers... wow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-27 18:10 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: October 27, 2013 18:10

BABY BREAK IT DOWN IS THE WORST STONES SONG OF ALL,IMO.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 27, 2013 18:14

GasLightStreet

New Faces is HORRIBLE.

No it's not. I like it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: October 27, 2013 18:25

Not an entirely bad post-Wyman album. Darryl even showed a little promise in the beginning. But the albums falls apart as a cohesive work pretty quick and doesn't pull me in to repeated listens. Never has a Stones album had so many throw away songs on it. (Well, take away Undercover of the Night from Undercover and you can throw away the rest of the album).

Nobody likes 'The Worst'? Now let's be clear, this is when retro took hold. And the drums on some cuts start getting that overdone John Mellencamp type sound production. And now in retrospect, only A Bigger Bang has any sense of being a related whole in the Not As Fab Four era.

But there's some choice cuts here. It's better than Dirty Work.

Date: October 27, 2013 18:33

Max'sKansasCity
NoCode0680
Max'sKansasCity
The Replacements, (starring Keanu Reeves, the great (and now retired)Gene Hackman and the very very sexy Brooke Langton) it has a lot of songs from this album well placed in the movie. I think it a nice change of pace to hear other Stones songs in a movie besides the same (GREAT) one they always use (Looking at you Marty).

thumbs up The Stones songs worked well in that movie, very well.

and ummmm Brooke Langton, a very beautiful woman,
I still think she could be a super star, that smile of hers... wow.

Yeah, she's not hard on the eyes at all. But she sort of fell off my radar after The Replacements. She's continued to work, just not in anything I've seen.

Howard Deutch also made references to the Stones in one of his other movies, "Some Kind Of Wonderful". There was a character named Amanda Jones and the song "Miss Amanda Jones" was used. And there's a female character named Watts who is a drummer.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 27, 2013 18:46

The reason they put so many songs on the album - as they admitted at the time - was because it had been so long (five years) since their last album and the CD format allowed for more songs. It was standard practice in the late 80s/early 90s for acts to pad out albums with filler to take advantage of the 72-80 minutes available. As a result, most albums of that era ended up being a bit uneven.

Cant agree with the OP's selection at all. I normally like the Stones' funk excursions, but 'Suck on the Jugular' is one of the worst songs theyve ever released. Could never warm to 'Mean disposition' either. The version of 'Zip Mouth Angel' thats in circulation clearly isnt finished - why do people think this sort of stuff belongs on an official album, when it basically consists of Jagger mumbling what is nothing more than a working lyric?

The other six - fair enough - I like the rest of the album and the b-sides (aside from the toe curling 'Sparks will Fly') - but 'Thru and Thru' is a monster of a song, and along with 'Love is Strong' the best thing on Voodoo Lounge. 'Honest Man' was well worth considering for release, as well.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 27, 2013 19:44

Eggzactly, it became the norm to include 14-16 songs at that time. It's gone back now, most new releases have in the 9-12 range.

As for the album, I like it just fine. I think it was their best since Tattoo You. But I did like both follow-ups better, Bridges and Bigger Bang.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: October 27, 2013 20:43

BILLPERKS
wrote "BABY BREAK IT DOWN IS THE WORST STONES SONG OF ALL,IMO."

Ita has also been my opinion since i first heard it! The absolutely worst Stones song.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: October 27, 2013 20:51

the 1st album without Bill Wyman on bass

Posted by: steini ()
Date: October 27, 2013 20:55

Jump on top of me would have been good on it

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 27, 2013 21:33

Never understood why some people want certain albums cut down to size. If they were cut then we would be searching endlessly for the missing songs and hoping they would end up on some other release somewhere down the road.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 27, 2013 22:48

I can't stand Suck on the Jugular or new Faces. I like the rest and I love some of the outakes like the Storm and Jump On Top of me,

Date: October 28, 2013 00:53

latebloomer
GasLightStreet

New Faces is HORRIBLE.

No it's not. I like it.

Then you like wince making music. Among the worst of songs they've released, right up there with Following The River, Winning Ugly, Angie, Rock And A Hard Place, Always Suffering and Streets Of Love.

Date: October 28, 2013 00:54

Gazza
The reason they put so many songs on the album - as they admitted at the time - was because it had been so long (five years) since their last album and the CD format allowed for more songs. It was standard practice in the late 80s/early 90s for acts to pad out albums with filler to take advantage of the 72-80 minutes available. As a result, most albums of that era ended up being a bit uneven.

Cant agree with the OP's selection at all. I normally like the Stones' funk excursions, but 'Suck on the Jugular' is one of the worst songs theyve ever released. Could never warm to 'Mean disposition' either. The version of 'Zip Mouth Angel' thats in circulation clearly isnt finished - why do people think this sort of stuff belongs on an official album, when it basically consists of Jagger mumbling what is nothing more than a working lyric?

The other six - fair enough - I like the rest of the album and the b-sides (aside from the toe curling 'Sparks will Fly') - but 'Thru and Thru' is a monster of a song, and along with 'Love is Strong' the best thing on Voodoo Lounge. 'Honest Man' was well worth considering for release, as well.

Because they like New Faces etc. No taste. Or observation of quality.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: October 28, 2013 01:18

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-28 02:26 by Bastion.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1911
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home