Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Performances of 50 & Counting: best, worst, most surprising songs?
Date: January 1, 2014 21:11

If you look back on the 50 & Counting Tour (own concert experience or videos) - which of the regularily played songs do you think were

a) the most constantly strong played/performed songs?

b) the most constantly weak played/performed songs?

And c) - Which of all performed songs were the ones, that mostly surprised you, because they sounded so good?

My opinion:

a) -Brown Sugar: I think, Mick's voice on this one sounded in general very strong and the band played tight.
-Midnight Rambler: They sounded like a different band here, more musical and spontaneous, rougher.
-probably Happy: Was there a bad version?

b) -Sympathy for the Devil: Keith's soli were in general horrible (except for the first London concert in 2012 and Glastonbury) and he didn't pull it through until the end, Mick sometimes sang off key and all together the song was lame and lost speed towards the end, while it should be the opposite with the song becoming wilder.
-Honky Tonk Women: I can't stand the nasal way Mick prefers to sing this one
-Gimme Shelter (partly): It almost seems a bit unfair to list this song, because I liked the dark atmospere they created and Mick and Lisa sang well, but I would like Keith to improve his soloing and there was a point, I noticed, right after Lisa's solo, where the song often seemed to collapse in a strange way. Because I love this song, I want it to sound a bit sharper.

c) I can't choose one: Lady Jane (such a beauty), Worried about You, Glastonbury Girl, No Expectations, Emotional Rescue (though there were some versions, that were so, so), Start Me Up (I thought it was better sung than in a long time?), Miss You (because I don't really like the song and they managed to make me almost like it). Then there is the moment of Keith's biting solo in Going Down with Jeff Beck and I'm sure many more...

Re: Performances of 50 & Counting: best, worst, most surprising songs?
Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 1, 2014 21:32

a) - Street Fighting Man: the absolute highlight of the tour IMO. The entire band is on fire.
- Midnight Rambler: Obviously deserves a mention, anyone think this can be fully appreciated live in the future without Taylor?
- Paint it Black: Charlie and Keith at their best. Funny how Keith talked of never playing PIB in the 70's as they didn't like the tempo they played it at. I honestly think they've found the perfect speed and it was on this tour, has this song ever sounded better?

b) - Honky Tonk Women: I agree about Mick's nasal voice, but it's Chuck that has ruined this song. His piano 'solo' makes this song sound horrendous. Ronnie is fabulous on it though.
- Get Off of My Cloud: Yes I said it. I just got the feeling that no-one in the band knew how the song would start, kinda like starting up an old car.

c) - Out of Control: Just watch the o2 version for a brilliant Ronnie solo and Mick harmonica action. Sad how they only played it once.

P.S good topic!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-01 21:40 by Bastion.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: January 1, 2014 21:40

I found myself getting impatient at times during SFTD and YCAGWYW. I get why they're where they are in the set. They are big "showy" numbers with well known arrangements and audience participation moments, however neither can be pulled off as majestically as they should be these days, IMO.

Conversely, I never tire of rocking out to Satisfaction & JJF at the end of the show no matter how many times they do it.

Anytime the Stones jam the blues, whether on MR or a cover, it's tops for me.
Again, I never tire of that.

I love the rarely played stuff as I'm one those people who have listened obsessively to all the records, but really, the rest of the set as it stands (in stone) depends on the night and how the energy with the band and the crowd is.

Date: January 1, 2014 21:58

Bastion
a) - Street Fighting Man: the absolute highlight of the tour IMO. The entire band is on fire.
- Midnight Rambler: Obviously deserves a mention, anyone think this can be fully appreciated live in the future without Taylor?
- Paint it Black: Charlie and Keith at their best. Funny how Keith talked of never playing PIB in the 70's as they didn't like the tempo they played it at. I honestly think they've found the perfect speed and it was on this tour, has this song ever sounded better?

b) - Honky Tonk Women: I agree about Mick's nasal voice, but it's Chuck that has ruined this song. His piano 'solo' makes this song sound horrendous. Ronnie is fabulous on it though.
- Get Off of My Cloud: Yes I said it. I just got the feeling that no-one in the band knew how the song would start, kinda like starting up an old car.

c) - Out of Control: Just watch the o2 version for a brilliant Ronnie solo and Mick harmonica action. Sad how they only played it once.

P.S good topic!

Oh, yes, I should also have mentioned Get off of my Cloud. I quite like the recording, but the way they performed it recently it sounded like a harmless pop song. Mick's singing on the album has something rebellious and demanding (get off of my CLOUD!), the way he sings it now (too 'melodious' somehow, too much trying to really sing it beautifully without the necessary impetuous behavior) it has no impact. I can hardly listen to it.

I also loved Ronnie's solo on Out of Control. And about Paint It Black: I think Mick is singing it really well now, better than on some videos I saw of, I think 1989/90, where he seems to have a problem with how to sing it. He sings it too low and is struggeling because of that. But I don't know, how well they played it after that, I remeber a video of Bremen 1998 that was better than 1989, too, but still not as well sung as it is now, so maybe you are right about it recently beeing the best version (singinging wise). Street Fighting Man had energy, yes (but wasn't played regularily). Maybe they won't ever play Midnight Rambler without Taylor again, so we don't have to imagine this situation?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-01 22:14 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: January 1, 2014 22:22

I had mixed feelings about YCAGWYW. When the lights went down at the end of the first O2 gig in Dec 2012 and we could see a choir packing in in the dark, it was amazingly atmospheric to realise what was coming, delivered in an arrangement nearer to the original LIB version than I had ever witnessed live, so it was an utterly moving finale to me at that point.
Of course, it then became more of a fixture and taken for granted. By Hyde Park 2 I was 'ok, let's start moving now so we don't get trampled in the crowd exiting because this is the end'. Truly, the Summer of Peace and Love, if it ever existed is over!

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 2, 2014 00:23

No Expectations was unexpected....

And of course the first time they pulled out Can't You Hear Me Knocking....

The show I saw in Boston peaked early once they played When The Whip Comes Down....

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 2, 2014 01:22

a) Can't You Hear Me Knocking was sublime with Taylor back on board and they consistently did the best version of Satisfaction since Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle imo.

b) Sympathy was better than last time round as Keith is more focused but remains a crashing bore compared to the 70s versions imo.

c) Out of Control was marvellous. Glad I was there that night.Memory Motel looked great from the video I saw too.

Date: January 2, 2014 02:05

andrewt
I found myself getting impatient at times during SFTD and YCAGWYW. I get why they're where they are in the set. They are big "showy" numbers with well known arrangements and audience participation moments, however neither can be pulled off as majestically as they should be these days, IMO.

Really? I thought YCAGWYW was "majestical" with the choir. And also one of the songs, where Mick usually sang very well, where I had nothing to complain and where it felt, like he was telling the audience a story, because of the songs dynamics, which he also integrates in his singing. I loved the louder vs. lower parts, the dramatic break after Ronnie's solo, how the choir comes in louder and louder for the finale and how Mick interacted with the audience.

Lady Jayne
I had mixed feelings about YCAGWYW. When the lights went down at the end of the first O2 gig in Dec 2012 and we could see a choir packing in in the dark, it was amazingly atmospheric to realise what was coming, delivered in an arrangement nearer to the original LIB version than I had ever witnessed live, so it was an utterly moving finale to me at that point.
Of course, it then became more of a fixture and taken for granted. By Hyde Park 2 I was 'ok, let's start moving now so we don't get trampled in the crowd exiting because this is the end'. Truly, the Summer of Peace and Love, if it ever existed is over!

The first time I listened to it on a video it gave me goosebumps. But I think it's natural, that you get used to something later, after several performances, so that it looses something of its initial impact. One can't help that except for listening to it not too often. If one follows their performances live or via YouTube, it's something, they probably shouldn't repeat for too long. I would prefer, if it's over now, if they wouldn't continue this interpretation for the next tour, so it stays something special from their 50s celebrations. But that's only me after watching the videos, the people in these other countries might probably want to hear it live too. Would I want to hear it live myself, not just on videos? I think so. But I also wouldn't mind to hear real drums for Sympathy as a new attraction instead. That might help to revitalize the song.

Date: January 2, 2014 03:04

The choir was sweet and seemingly influenced by Roger Waters adding a personal touch with local school choirs on Another Brick In The Wall the last time around. It was a nice addition and a great little moment when it starts (although a little less so when you know it's coming). I find the whole sing a long bit really contrived at this point and the solo section was all too brief.
I am a bit jaded, though, being so familiar with so much of their live performances over the years being a bit of a Stones geek, so even subconsciously I have a high-water mark in mind for certain songs live, which I reckon affects my appreciation sometimes.

This was definitely a highlight. The moment when it all kicked back in for me at the first of the Toronto shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-02 03:23 by andrewt.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: January 2, 2014 03:31

the Highlight was that the Stones went together and proved a lot of People wrong that they can't do it on stage anymore.

Lady Jane was the exceptional Highlight from the very old Songs. It was played only once. Unfortunately.

The personal touch of Mick Taylor to get introduced to Midnight Rambler, Can't you hear me knocking and Satisfaction. Some were lucky to get Sway as well.

I could have lived without Miss You, but hey it's one of the most succesful Songs. I could do without Tumbling Dice, but surprisingly they know how to give that song a Special live touch on every tour.

All in all I was only disappointed that they did not refer to one of the odd Songs on the setlist of hyde Park 69 for the Shows in 2013 like I'm yours I'm hers.

I felt they had a hard time getting into the right tune for Gimme Shelter especially on the first Shows in the US which they later did match in a much better way.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: January 2, 2014 05:53

Good - MR, JJF,ADTL/IORR

Bad - SFTD(Keith is terrible) YCAGWYW(zzzzz) GOMC(horrible opener)

Surprise - Six Days.....Sway....ER.....SFM occasionally.

Keith needs to pick his spots, give Ronnie a crack at SFTD? Drop YCAGWYW. Know who you are; What you do well, you still do better than anyone!

Cool topic.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: January 2, 2014 06:53

I find that with YCAGWYW, I have to remind myself that it's really going to take off toward the end--it's a very clever choice in that sense, because it starts out as a ballad and has people dancing in the aisles at the end.

The songs I was most excited to hear were the much-maligned I Wanna Be Your Man (just for historical reasons) and Little Red Rooster. I wish they'd done LRR a lot more often, and (my dream) Prodigal Son.

Date: January 2, 2014 09:44

This might be the best performance of the tour. Keith, deservingly applauds Mick after his performance:

Out Of Control in London, and the video of Lady Jane are some of my other favourites.

I don't think they ever got The Last Time to swing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-02 09:47 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: KatieGirl ()
Date: January 2, 2014 10:54

DandelionPowderman
This might be the best performance of the tour. Keith, deservingly applauds Mick after his performance:

Out Of Control in London, and the video of Lady Jane are some of my other favourites.

So glad they chose to play "Worried About You" the night I was there.

Date: January 2, 2014 12:38

KatieGirl
DandelionPowderman

So glad they chose to play "Worried About You" the night I was there.

Yeah. That was excellent!
Agree too about The Last Time. It should have worked but like you say it just wouldn't swing, or roll, and came off awkward.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2014 12:50

I Wanna Be Your Man and Lady Jane from the O2 concerts were fantastic, in my opinion.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: January 2, 2014 12:51

"Drop YCAGWYW"...

Strongly disagree, Thrylan. The song worked great, to me. And Ronnie's solos on it proved his good mood. Just compare them with 2003 solo, let's say from Twicks..

Date: January 3, 2014 15:09

Bump. I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on this.

Date: January 3, 2014 15:54

Aquamarine
The songs I was most excited to hear were the much-maligned I Wanna Be Your Man (just for historical reasons) and Little Red Rooster. I wish they'd done LRR a lot more often, and (my dream) Prodigal Son.

I Wanna Be Your Man was really an interesting idea for historical reasons, yes. But I didn't like the singing at all, and listening to recordings of the concerts, I'm always glad, when it's over and I hardly choose it on Youtube. Same for Get Off of My CLoud. Which is a pity, because it's nice, when they try to start with something else. JJF at Glastonbury worked well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-03 15:56 by StrawberriesBlueberries.

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: January 3, 2014 16:14

DandelionPowderman
This might be the best performance of the tour.

Sorry, but each his own.
To me it's the same shit as "Fool to cry" and/or "Miss you". Time to leave for a drink.

Date: January 3, 2014 16:20

eye popping smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 3, 2014 17:24

2000 Light Years was a major and way cool surprise at Glastonbury
I concur about SFM being stunningly glorious

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 3, 2014 19:54

mary j blige on gimmie shelter . it was rough for the first half of the song at the barclay's center

Date: January 3, 2014 20:02

TheGreek
mary j blige on gimmie shelter . it was rough for the first half of the song at the barclay's center

So, did you like it or not? You mean rough in a bad way or a good way?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 3, 2014 21:39

I thought this worthy of reposting given the topic. A data geek friend of mine put this together and I posted it last Summer...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: January 3, 2014 22:22

StrawberriesBlueberries
TheGreek

So, did you like it or not? You mean rough in a bad way or a good way?

I thought she was not so good.

Date: January 4, 2014 01:34

Phil Good
Time to leave for a drink.

I can't imagine doing this during a Stones show. I mean, it's not like they play so often I can afford to miss parts of it (and knowing my luck there would be some unexpectedly brilliant moment during whatever song it was). (And on a similar topic, I can't understand people who drink so much before/during the show that they miss half of it going back and forth to the bathroom--usually climbing over me to do it--or they're so drunk they might as well be at a One Direction show.)

ANYWAY. I agree that I Wanna Be Your Man didn't really work so well, and they only played it that once, but I was unbelievably excited that they were starting with such an old song that I never thought I'd hear them play live again, and that they went on to play a number of their other early hits. I actually really liked Get Off of My Cloud, at the O2 and in all the videos I've seen.

Date: January 4, 2014 01:59

Aquamarine
Phil Good
Time to leave for a drink.

I can't imagine doing this during a Stones show. I mean, it's not like they play so often I can afford to miss parts of it (and knowing my luck there would be some unexpectedly brilliant moment during whatever song it was). (And on a similar topic, I can't understand people who drink so much before/during the show that they miss half of it going back and forth to the bathroom--usually climbing over me to do it--or they're so drunk they might as well be at a One Direction show.)

ANYWAY. I agree that I Wanna Be Your Man didn't really work so well, and they only played it that once, but I was unbelievably excited that they were starting with such an old song that I never thought I'd hear them play live again, and that they went on to play a number of their other early hits. I actually really liked Get Off of My Cloud, at the O2 and in all the videos I've seen.

I Wanna Be Your Man was played twice.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 4, 2014 02:06

SWAY with Mick Taylor knocked me out of my seat! ( Boston-June 12), and Memory Motel, again in Boston on June 14th....and I never LOVED Emotional Rescue but it sure sounded fine LIVE!!

Date: January 4, 2014 02:51

Bastion

I Wanna Be Your Man was played twice.

Sorry. Point is, they obviously decided not to feature it.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home