Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Performances of 50 & Counting: best, worst, most surprising songs?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 4, 2014 06:06

Highlights:

Lady Jane
No Expectations
Ruby Tuesday (especially Tim Ries soprano sax playing)

^ all beautiful

Street Fighting Man (powerhouse, but missed another instrument in the drawn out end)

Midnight Rambler (the air crackles at Hyde Park as Jagger shouts "Rock it out!" and Taylor launches in to his solo)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-04 06:08 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 4, 2014 11:01

Agree with SFM..powerful and a great live song...the highlight for me on the hyde park dvd.
need I say...taylor would have added something extra special.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: January 4, 2014 12:22

Even though I agree Sympathy For The Devil mostly sounded very bad on the 50 & Counting tour this version from Oakland is pretty good, great singing by Mick and a decent guitar solo by Keith:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 4, 2014 14:56

Know I'm being redundant but I really disliked Emotional Rescue. All of the great songs that the Stones have & they played that one. Personal taste. I never liked that song from the day it came out. & its not the dance thing. I like Miss You & some of the others like that. On the other hand, Midnight Rambler was stellar. I've seen them do that several times, including in a club, & having Mick Taylor on it gave it an extra oomph. Will admit seeing them play that @ the Joint was pretty damn mighty, too.

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: January 4, 2014 15:49

TheBlockbuster
Even though I agree Sympathy For The Devil mostly sounded very bad on the 50 & Counting tour this version from Oakland is pretty good, great singing by Mick and a decent guitar solo by Keith:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Probably the best version of the whole tour, thanks for posting.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 4, 2014 16:47

I didn't see any of those shows, but judging the videos Can't You Hear Me Knocking in LA 2 must have been sensational, not only for the audience (hear them respond!), but also for the band members (look at Jagger's, Keith' and Ronnie's faces). Besides it sounded great.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 4, 2014 17:37

I most enjoyed all the Ramblers and CYHMKs, the latter I was lucky to hear.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-04 17:41 by angee.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 4, 2014 19:19

One think I noticed after watching "Sweet Summer Sun" at home which I enjoyed is that the videos on youtube that showed up few moments after the shows made me enjoyed the performaces of 50 & counting in a different way. I remember being really excited in front of my computer almost as much as if I were at the concert and definitely more excited than when I watched the DVD, seating in front of my large screen TV hooked up to a boose soundsystem. Those Youtube videos are amazing and I am very impatient with the 14 on fire tour because I am going to be right there again at my computer, going crazy.I went to see 2 shows in the USA, DC and Philly ,because that is the best way to enjoy a show but the youtube thing is really cool too.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: January 4, 2014 20:27

laertisflash
"Drop YCAGWYW"...

Strongly disagree, Thrylan. The song worked great, to me. And Ronnie's solos on it proved his good mood. Just compare them with 2003 solo, let's say from Twicks..

I know.....I'm in the minority here, but french horns, and ten minute songs that take five minutes to get going are NOT encore material. I wouldn't like it as an encore if they did it 70's style, much less with Matt Clifford. May have worked much better for me about 1/2-2/3 of the way through.

Lotta stuff going on for a two guitar band.....that's not guitar related.

Date: January 4, 2014 20:48

kleermaker
I didn't see any of those shows, but judging the videos Can't You Hear Me Knocking in LA 2 must have been sensational, not only for the audience (hear them respond!), but also for the band members (look at Jagger's, Keith' and Ronnie's faces). Besides it sounded great.

You really believe Mick, Keith and Ronnie were blown away? They've seen and heard everything.

We surely enjoyed it, but please put things in perspective - those faces are part of their showmanship skills - and they did it for every guitar playing guest smiling smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: January 4, 2014 21:04

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

You really believe Mick, Keith and Ronnie were blown away? They've seen and heard everything.

We surely enjoyed it, but please put things in perspective - those faces are part of their showmanship skills - and they did it for every guitar playing guest smiling smiley

I think Jagger was getting excitingly annoyed at how long Taylor was shredding for.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: January 4, 2014 21:05

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker

You may of course think about it what you want, but the crowd went nuts (oh well, they haven't seen and heard everything, obviously).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 4, 2014 23:17

Too hard for me to judge what are constantly well/bad played numbers, since I know so little (one concert in person, the PPV show & Glastonbury via tele plus some random youtube numbers). So I just pick up the ones that made me biggest impression.

Nice positive surprises were "Lady Jane" and "2000 Light Years From Home", and they also performed them surprisingly well (even though Jagger having some problems in the latter's first verse). Of course, "Glastonbury Girl" was a real gem and damn cool gesture by Mick. "Emotional Rescue" was a pleasent surprise as well, even though the version I saw live wasn't too hot. "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Get Off of My Cloud" sounded horrible - the idea to sound 'retro' made them sound ridiculous.

But then the real highlights and also the most interesting ones were the Taylor numbers, which made the Stones sound like musicians, not just performers/entertainers. Even the long-time forgotten features 'danger' and 'unpredictability' did their return to the band in the form of Taylor. "Midnight Rambler" has always been the highlight of their shows, but now there was one dimension more. The jam part in "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was cool, even though the song part was autopiloted and sounded like the band was also just waiting for the jam part. "Sway" didn't impress me that much - the band never sounded like getting into it. I also enjoyed the version of "Satisfaction" in where Taylor was still in electric guitar - put new life into that war horse of all war horses.

Last mention needs to go to "Street Fighting Man" which was the highlight (with "Midnight Rambler") for me in the only concert I attented to. Sounded wonderful in London. Oh yeah, surprisingly "Sympathy For The Devil" - the song I have probably critizised mostly during 'Vegas Era' - wasn't so bad that I expected for - mostly thanks to Ronnie's tasty licks (which were mixed down in SWEET SUMMER SUN).

Funnily, I have forgotten all the guest numbers they did... except Lady GaGa's...

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-05 06:37 by Doxa.

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: January 5, 2014 02:05

Street fighting man at hyde park was fab live and on video I loved the keith urban set

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: January 5, 2014 17:53

Out of the recordings from shows I did not attent (most of them) I found myself listening time after time:
JJF from HP1 (the ITunes version). I think RW's contribution and high on the mix created a truely great version.

The London 2012 2nd version of GS with Florence W. me think it was super great and unique and definetly made me bitter for letting that ticket I finally managed to get a hold on at ticketmaster.com since it was damm expensive...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 5, 2014 18:31

Wroclaw, thanks for reminding me about the Florence W appearance that I saw on video and found very exciting.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: steverogan ()
Date: January 5, 2014 19:10

Loved "Memory Motel" first and only time I saw them play it live. I recorded it at the Garden: for those who missed it , here it is.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 6, 2014 11:48

DandelionPowderman
This might be the best performance of the tour. Keith, deservingly applauds Mick after his performance:

Amazingly, other than Mick sitting next to Chuck at the beginning "Worried About You", sounded and looked (Mick possibly pranced around a bit more actually) a lot like this during the public "rehearsal" in Bondy ! I literally couldn't (and still can't) believe what I was seeing...

As for the Qs :
a. Yeah, never been a huge fan but Satisfaction always sounded good, with a special nod to the Oakland (?) version where Taylor joined them for the first time and was soloing all over the place on electric before being moved to acoustic for subsequent versions. A special mention for "Doom and Gloom" too that worked well and gave them (some) relevance as a "working" band.

b. Gimme Shelter got better as they went along, but Keith really struggled to get the "loose timing" right, especially in the into. Look at any 1997 version to see what I mean.

c. CYHMK and Sway, still remember tearing up a bit when I woke up to read the LA3 setlist. Would have loved to hear "Lady Jane" too especially since it was on the O2/1 setlist.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: January 6, 2014 12:17

"Street Fighting Man" is one of the few songs that has gotten better with age. Well...hm, I take that back; it's always been a burner.
Emtional rescue was a great choice. And it slowly was getting better.
2000Lightyears was superb. That gig was flowing so well, and then this song fit right in.
I liked "I Wanna be your Man". I know they played it more than once because I recall the second time being lightyears better than the first time around.
The Taylor thing? It was one of the most exciting Stones moments ever, when Taylor came out that first time. And all times after. I wish he had shined more. I wish they had piked a slow blues for him to do like "Love in Vain"; or gee HIM "You can't always get..." Because on MR he was not really doing anything extra ordinary; anything real Taylor-style, where you go "ah the vibrato sings again".

I realize that they must do the warhorses, but since they have a wealth of those, they can always drop a few. "Sympathy" has become so lame by now, that even they should notice. I mean, this was a wild samba at one time. The lyrics were incendiary. Just watching Charlie during this song nowadays tells the tale. He does this anemic hi-hat shuffle to complement the mid-tempo drum program. Then you got Leavell with that constant chorused piano sound hitting the root chords; to Keith who for some reason can't stay in key on this one. Every once in a while Ronnie is audible doing those copied licks from the BB version. Jagger reciting in a nasal drone.
The other one to drop is YCAGWYW. I don't like the choir. I dnt like anything that is too labored to set up on a stage. If it can be made to happen where it just flows - great. This song has gotten shorter and shorter. I wonder - could they at this point even pull this one off on Keith's rhythm guitar.
Also the guest singer of Gimme Shelter - I loathe. All of them.
Like someone else said: all this singing along at shows has gotten so prevalent and overbearing, so I am for not encouraging it.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: January 6, 2014 14:37

This was for me the higlight of the tour, sounds even better than it did at the club shows on the licks tour.

Date: January 6, 2014 14:44

TheBlockbuster

This was for me the higlight of the tour, sounds even better than it did at the club shows on the licks tour.

Probably one of the best live renditions they ever did thumbs up

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: January 6, 2014 19:42

They should have played No Expectations in Philly instead of Dead Flowers with Brad Paisley. It was up for the song vote. Paisley could have learned to strum along, let Ronnie play slide and it would have been real nice. Bummed they played this beautiful song only once and only played CYHNK occasionally. That should have been standard in the set along with Midnight Rambler or at least rotated in with Emotional Rescue.

Anyway, not to bitch, still was great to see them and hope they return to the US before they're done.

Posted by: mgguy ()
Date: January 6, 2014 21:08

TheBlockbuster

wow. stellar. You are quite correct.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 6, 2014 21:36

cyhmk with mick taylor at glasto

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 6, 2014 22:02

DandelionPowderman
TheBlockbuster

Probably one of the best live renditions they ever did thumbs up

Indeed. cool smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1422
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home