Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Mick Taylor's Unreleased Second Album
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: December 19, 2013 16:19

I'm currently buying some cd's from an import music website, and they're offering Mick Taylor's Unreleased Second Album - The Legendary Cozy Tapes CD. Does anyone know anything about this? Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've never heard about this.

Re: Mick Taylor's Unreleased Second Album
Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 19, 2013 16:37

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 19, 2013 16:39

Unrealesed!?!

so that's why I never runs over this f-ckin album....cool smiley

Date: December 19, 2013 16:39

I thought Stranger In This Town was his second album, and that it was released - only with minor distribution?

Date: December 19, 2013 16:48

That's what the title of the (bootleg?) cd is. What does Cozy Tapes refer to anyway? Yeah, I know that Stranger in this Town is on his Stones Throw cd, but I'm not familiar with the other songs on it. Maybe I'll buy it after Christmas if I have any disposable income left.smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 19, 2013 16:53

Cozy will be Cozy Powell, which going by that site he doesn't actually play on it.

If you truly love Taylor consider this.

"The artist does not want this material distributed and is reported to be seriously upset about it..."

winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-19 16:56 by His Majesty.

Date: December 19, 2013 16:56

Date: December 19, 2013 17:00

His Majesty
Cozy will be Cozy Powell, which going by that site he doesn't actually play on it.

"The artist does not want this material distributed and is reported to be seriously upset about it..."

winking smiley

Well..I'm going to purchase it anyway!!cool smiley

Date: December 19, 2013 17:04

Bellajane

A true fan! smoking smiley

Date: December 19, 2013 17:09

Bellajane
His Majesty

winking smiley

You areeye popping smiley! Well that's just great, just when Mick was feeling happy again (playing with the Stones), your gonna upset him...again!

Date: December 19, 2013 17:11

Well, I am. Plus, I'm not in love with the guy..just think he's a phenomenal guitarist, who used to be easy on the eyes, and used to be (now reinstated?) with the Rolling Stones; or is it, once a Stone always a Stone? He once said the Rolling Stones were tatooed on his soul. I can believe it!!smiling smiley

Date: December 19, 2013 17:15

2000 LYFH
Bellajane
His Majesty

winking smiley

You areeye popping smiley! Well that's just great, just when Mick was feeling happy again (playing with the Stones), your gonna upset him...again!

Well, I seriously doubt he gives a rats arse about lil Bellajane!!grinning smiley

Date: December 19, 2013 17:19

I sympathise with your view lil Bellajane.

Keith was supposedly mighty pissed when all the Satanic session stuff appeared on bootleg. Sorry Keith, but it's out there and I needed to hear that shit! grinning smiley

For fans of his playing there was a lot to enjoy in those bootleg box sets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-19 17:21 by His Majesty.

Date: December 19, 2013 17:22

Plus Taylor doesn't have a lot of material out there so we have to get as much as we can..ya know!!tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 19, 2013 17:23

I was pretty happy when Talk Is Cheap came out on CD and I bought it regardless of Keith's feelings...It was mass produced though, so Keith may have meant for his first solo effort to be enjoyed...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: December 19, 2013 17:51

Download the torrent if you can find it. I have this, it is excellent.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 19, 2013 18:44

It was originally on Dime, hundred of people DLed it until a Mod killed the torrent when he got a PM that Mr Taylor was extremely unhappy about this album seeing the light.
So if you find it on a tracker get it because it's rare.

Posted by: LookoutMountain ()
Date: December 19, 2013 18:51

Bellajane cool find smiling smiley

One thing about MT, you have to dig around but can find hidden treasures, usually live recordings. You probably already have John Mayall's live 1982 reunion album, an MT gold mine. I do wish he could make some money from these but at least he's being heard by the faithful.

Apparently he has stacks of songs some as demos. Would be great to have them fleshed out and recorded properly. Wonder if he could bring them to the Stones for that album they're gonna do after the tour winking smiley

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: December 19, 2013 20:12

Mick Taylor: SPECIAL-THE UNRELEASED 2ND ALBUM CD
Label: Special
Source: Dreamland Recording St.Woodstock, New York Spring 1988.
Format: 1 cd
Running time: 47.19
Sound source: Soundboard stereo
Packaging: Single Slimline jewelcase limited numbered ed.
By riccar99
Sound: 9 / Packaging 8.5 / Performance 9.5
TRACK LIST:
1. Special, 2. Going To Mexico, 3. Blind Willie McTell, 4. Separately, 5. Downtown Broadway, 6. The Blue Note Shuffle, 7. Red Shoes, 8. Soliloquy, 9. Separately Instr.
REVIEW:
On the front cover of this cd where a round sticker is positioned above the numbers that identify the limited edition it is written Legendary Cozy Tapes and we can only assume the source of this tape comes from the estate of Colin Flooks a.k.a. Cozy Powell, legendary drummer who died on April 5th 1998 in a car crash while driving at high speed his Volvo in bad weather and talking to his girlfriend on the phone. Since there are no records of Powell and Taylor ever playing together it can be assumed that these rough mixes come from a chrome cassette (displayed on back insert cover) that could have been given to him by Max Middleton, the keyboards player that played with Powell in Jeff Beck s Group early 70s version and with Taylor to this day and also during that week in Spring 1988 where these songs were recorded together with Shayne Fontaine on second guitar, Wilbur Bascomb on bass and Bernhard Purdie on drums.
Supposed to be the bulk of Taylor s unfinished second album most of these songs never saw the light of day (except for “Red Shoes” a Max Middleton instrumental and “Separately”) while some have been played live rarely (“Going To Mexico” and “Soliloquy”) or plenty of times (“Blind Willie McTell”) it is anyhow remarkable to hear studio versions of these together with other songs that first come out this time. The first song that gives the album its name is a solid rock with a catchy slide guitar playing incessantly but it already came out on a Carla Olson album (Gotta Get Back Home) from 95 however there with no Taylor playing, just composer credits. “Going To Mexico” is a not so impressive ballad that reminds a bit the chords progression of “Separately” that will follow later. Next is Bob Dylan s “Blind Willie McTell” that is heard for the first time on Taylor s studio version: the song develops faster than Dylan recorded version but still with a great guitar solo that carries it away, too bad the songs fades out at 6.40 minutes just when those magic fingers are flying higher (anyone familiar with a live version of this song will understand). After it is turn of “Separately”, a song composed originally by Keith Richards and Mick Taylor for Goat s Head Soup sessions in Jamaica with melodic help from Nicky Hopkins that is hereby presented with some lyrics that presumably were written afterwards by Taylor himself ; this song is more effective when played just instrumental as is the version that comes later, officially released in Japan in 99 as a bonus on A Stone s Throw, but that version probably originated from the 1997 Autumn sessions that happened at Parkgate Sensible Studios together with all the other tracks. “Downtown Broadway” has a catchy riff that reminds some other Taylor tracks, while “Blue Note Shuffle” is an instrumental that has been played some times live before “You Gotta Move” on some occasions. “Red Shoes” is a Max Middleton composition that could have easily been played by Jeff Beck on any of his late 70s albums and that was later recorded in London in 1990 for Guitar Speak III, a compilation that came out on 4 November 1991. Finally we have “Soliloquy” another instrumental that could well be one of 6 later re-recorded by Taylor with Max Middleton in 1990, a 6.40 minutes nostalgic tune that has been played live by Taylor even before these sessions in 1986.
It is not known why Taylor decided not to publish these songs in 88 or shortly after, fans had to wait another 10 years to get a proper studio album from him and remembering that his debut one came out in 79, it is obvious why many jumped on their chairs when heard about this release that certainly fills some gaps. For all people that question the ethics of releasing material the artist didn t approve to come out, that bring us back to the real validity of bootlegs: the recent success of the Stones Exile bonus material could bring up a matter of discussion: can all fans wait 40 years to get what they like? It seems up to personal judgment and I don t want to venture into this debate, hey this is just a review.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 19, 2013 20:52

I have it. Sorry lil Mick. cool smiley
I wonder if I ever listened to it though. Will do it in the near future and let you know lil Bella.

"Mick Taylor - Unreleased 2nd Album Session (SB )

Artist: Mick Taylor
Title : Special (Unreleased 2nd Album)
1988-xx-xx Studio Recording Session ?
Source: Soundboard Recording
SQ: Excellent Stereo Soundboard Recording
CD-R (Trade) > CD Wave > dBpoweramp > Flac level 8 > Dime.

1. Special
2. Going To Mexico
3. Blind Willie McTell
4. Separately
5. Downtown Broadway
6. The Blue Note Shuffle
7. Red Shoes
8. Soliloquy
9. Separately(Instrumental)(Bonus Track)

Mick Taylor - Vocal, Guitar
Max Middleton - Keyboards
Cozy Powell - Drums

and unknown member"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-19 21:05 by kleermaker.

Date: December 19, 2013 21:03

kleermaker
I wonder if I ever listened to it though. Will do it in the near future and let you know lil Bella.

"Mick Taylor - Unreleased 2nd Album Session (Scool smiley

Artist: Mick Taylor
Title : Special (Unreleased 2nd Album)
1988-xx-xx Studio Recording Session ?
Source: Soundboard Recording
SQ: Excellent Stereo Soundboard Recording
CD-R (Trade) > CD Wave > dBpoweramp > Flac level 8 > Dime.

1. Special
2. Going To Mexico
3. Blind Willie McTell
4. Separately
5. Downtown Broadway
6. The Blue Note Shuffle
7. Red Shoes
8. Soliloquy
9. Separately(Instrumental)(Bonus Track)

Mick Taylor - Vocal, Guitar
Max Middleton - Keyboards
Cozy Powell - Drums

and unknown member"

Maybe we should let Little Mick know we've just changed his name to Lil Mick!grinning smiley

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 19, 2013 22:32

kleermaker
I wonder if I ever listened to it though.

I'm shocked! smoking smiley

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 19, 2013 23:26

This a damn fine LP in my opinion....

Date: December 20, 2013 23:25

That guy played the guitar, he should have collaborated with Jeff Beck or even Steely Dan.thumbs up

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 21, 2013 14:53

so maybe someone coul email me privately how to listen to this album? hm, it´s nearly christmas

Date: December 21, 2013 23:26

riccardo99

It is not known why Taylor decided not to publish these songs in '88.

It probably wasn't meant as a definite release -album- to Mick Taylor. At least it sounds unfinished to me. What else?

Date: December 21, 2013 23:33

Funny that Cozy didn't play on any of the tracks, while the album is dubbed The Legendary Cozy Tapes CD"..

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 22, 2013 16:24

it´s great!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 22, 2013 17:43

LuxuryStones
riccardo99

It probably wasn't meant as a definite release -album- to Mick Taylor. At least it sounds unfinished to me. What else?

It still remains an enigma what happened to this album-in-spe.

Date: December 22, 2013 19:07

kleermaker
LuxuryStones
riccardo99

It still remains an enigma what happened to this album-in-spe.

It was floating on the internet and this site but it has gone.

And I don't want another alias.grinning smiley

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home