Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Simon Townshend, Darwen Library Theatre, Friday 12th April 2013
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: April 13, 2013 13:41

Hello,

First time for me seeing PT's wee brother play solo and acoustic: hang on a minute, the guy is 52 years old for Pete's sake, and recently became a grandad too (congratulations!) so go easy on the 'little bro' cobblers...

Like the overwhelming majority of the audience last night I've only ever seen ST back-up his sibling in The Who's touring band or appear on the undercard as The Casbah Club, and so all these songs are new to me. They are a labour of love for him and clearly mean a great deal personally judging by the heartfelt delivery and the way that he introduces each number...not with a lecture for sure, but his songs deal with all the big stuff that matters.

I think it's fair to say that last night would have been a testing show for ST or pretty much any other solo artist, and here's why: he was playing to a half-full 200 person capacity room in a small town and I think that a few of the audience didn't realise that

a) he was solo and acoustic, and
b) no Who songs are played.

Two couples upped and left before 30 minutes were through which has to be hard to take when you're on stage armed with only your voice, guitar and your own songs and are working pretty hard. To top it all, ST also had intermittent monitor problems throughout the show but the sound out front was flawless, and I think he was battling a bit of a cold to boot. No doubt about it: the Townshend 'showbiz trouper' gene is alive and well!

Despite the turn-out, the audience did appreciate what ST gave them for 70 minutes and that extended to the meet'n'greet/flog CDs/signing/photos after the show. The man is keeping himself busy as he goes straight into a support slot with Big Country before playing in The Who again for their UK jaunt as well as reconvening his own band to play on his nights off! If I get the chance I'd love to hear them: mind you, I still haven't bought a ticket to any Quad shows...yet.

Cheers,

Simon.

ps could Photobucket be any more hopeless to use? What on earth were they thinking when they decided to fix something that wasn't broken? Right, as you were...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-13 13:48 by SimonN.

Re: O/T Simon Townshend, Darwen Library Theatre, Friday 12th April 2013
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 16, 2013 04:35

Not sure I'd pay to see him solo acoustic, but with a band, playing a few Who songs, definitely.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 16, 2013 06:54

I also don't know if I'd pay to see him solo, but he did a bang up job when I saw him with the Who. He's a great musician in his own right and does the band well for what his role is. Obviously he's not a genius like his brother, but based off what I saw in his playing I wouldn't be surprised if he was good on his own as well.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 16, 2013 07:03

No matter how old Simon gets, he'll always be Pete's lil' brother.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 16, 2013 16:54

I wonder if Simon and Chris Jagger hang out...I bet that would be an interesting conversation to eavesdrop on.

Date: December 17, 2013 01:56

treaclefingers
I wonder if Simon and Chris Jagger hang out...I bet that would be an interesting conversation to eavesdrop on.

You know what's weird? Simon just added me as a friend on facebook, and now faceboook is prompting me to add Chris Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 01:57 by tatters.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 17, 2013 03:50

treaclefingers

They should tour together. Add McCartney's kid. Julian Lennon too.

Date: December 17, 2013 04:24

tatters
treaclefingers

You know what's weird? Simon just added me as a friend on facebook, and now faceboook is prompting me to add Chris Jagger.

That is pretty damn funny!

Date: December 17, 2013 05:40

loog droog
treaclefingers

They should tour together. Add McCartney's kid. Julian Lennon too.

It kind of sounds like the island of misfit toys.

Date: December 17, 2013 06:35

C'mon, admit it. This would be pretty cool in a small club if you got drunk and closed your eyes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-17 06:37 by tatters.

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: December 17, 2013 16:35

I met him last year during the Who tour. Before the show he would do a small 'Meet and greet' at a stall selling not only Who merchandise, but, his. Nice guy. I enjoyed our short talk. He played lead on a few songs and took lead vocals on one song during the show. He is much more than just Pete's little brother. Get his albums!

Date: December 22, 2013 03:40

Remember this one from the 1975 Tommy movie soundtrack? Simon would have been only about 13 or 14 when he cut this vocal. Don't remember him actually being in the movie, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-22 18:34 by tatters.

Date: December 22, 2013 22:01

Saw Simon play with the Who in Louisville this past February. He did sing lead on "The Dirty Jobs," which was surprising to me, since I figured that he would play more of a background role on stage. He did very well, and plays some damn fine lead guitar too. Color me a fan of his.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1451
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home