Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keith's demise cancelled
Posted by: Swayed ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:34

Over the past 40 or so years Keith has featured as the most likely rock star to die next. In a survey in the mid 70's Lou Reed was miffed as he was placed at number 2, Keith of course was number one.( Lou continued but unfortunately recently fell by the wayside). I have the following short quote about his not reaching 70 (from 1973) [youtu.be] I'm just glad the prognosis did not come to pass.

"Thank you very much indeed, thank you very kindly"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 03:31 by Swayed.

Re: Keith's demise cancelled
Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:45

Of course Keith didn't die, because, unlike Lou Reed, he never used street drugs. As Keith admits in Life, whether heroin or cocaine or whatever, he only consumed the finest, purest pharmaceutical-grade gear that could be obtained. Even his vodka consumption was done with the priciest brand in stock, and more recently those around him even convinced him to switch to "organic" vodka. I'm sure his shepherd's pies are peasant in name only--he has indicated that the onions he uses he grows himself in a garden. And there are all these gourmet chefs to cook for them on tour.

Keith no doubt has the live of a 50-year-old man--that is, if he needed to get another 20 or 30 years out of it, this would not be a problem. In fact, when he dies Keith should be a liver donor himself--it would probably keep several generations of transplant recipients alive.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:49

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:58

stonehearted
Of course Keith didn't die, because, unlike Lou Reed, he never used street drugs. As Keith admits in Life, whether heroin or cocaine or whatever, he only consumed the finest, purest pharmaceutical-grade gear that could be obtained. Even his vodka consumption was done with the priciest brand in stock, and more recently those around him even convinced him to switch to "organic" vodka. I'm sure his shepherd's pies are peasant in name only--he has indicated that the onions he uses he grows himself in a garden. And there are all these gourmet chefs to cook for them on tour.

Keith no doubt has the live of a 50-year-old man--that is, if he needed to get another 20 or 30 years out of it, this would not be a problem. In fact, when he dies Keith should be a liver donor himself--it would probably keep several generations of transplant recipients alive.

Total bullshit as usual from Keith,in prior interviews he has claimed he would carry a 38 special in New York,for protection when would go to get drugs in the lower East side,so that line about only using pure stuff is part of his mythology....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 18, 2013 02:27

He's got the liver of a 50 year old but the knuckles of a long dead chimp...haw does that work?

Date: December 18, 2013 02:27

What about Freddy Sessler supplying him with stuff from Swedish labs like Sandoz? Bill Wyman went out to get him some street stuff in a pinch when he was going through withdrawal in 1977--Bill comments in Stone Alone that it was a rare occasion when they actually bonded.

Keith would never go get drugs himself--if you've read of the Nellcote days, there were always various mules bringing it to him. Speaking of mythology, that was just Keith posing in various interviews to self-mythologize the gun-toting outlaw image he so carefully cultivated.

The only time he ever actually used a gun--aside from once completely egregiously in a room full of people--was to shoot one of Bobby Keys golf balls out of his breakfast plate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 02:27 by stonehearted.

Date: December 18, 2013 02:33

Munichhilton
He's got the liver of a 50 year old but the knuckles of a long dead chimp...haw does that work?

Well, Lou Reed had the knuckles of a 50 year old, but the liver of a long-dead chimp, so I guess that means you can live with arthritis but not with a liver that's been ruined by the chemicals that get included with street drugs.

Date: December 18, 2013 03:28

stonehearted
Munichhilton

Well, Lou Reed had the knuckles of a 50 year old, but the liver of a long-dead chimp, so I guess that means you can live with arthritis but not with a liver that's been ruined by the chemicals that get included with street drugs.

so in a roundabout way, Keith not only defeated drugs...he abused the well established consequences usually associated with drugs...Go Keith Go!

Date: December 18, 2013 03:41

Munichhilton
stonehearted
Munichhilton

so in a roundabout way, Keith not only defeated drugs...he abused the well established consequences usually associated with drugs...Go Keith Go!

Well, he never seemed to have to be hospitalized because of them or as a long-term result of them, unlike so many other rock stars who abused themselves or overindulged with adulterated street drugs.

Also, Keith talks of his approach with cocaine [in Life], criticizing those who need to blow every 15 minutes, when, he says, a single line ought to be enough to last for a couple of hours.

Keith should write a book on how to do drugs the right way--wait, he's already "written" it, and I've already mentioned it.

Also, it helps to have the right connections....

Posted by: kwf ()
Date: December 18, 2013 03:43

ROPENI
stonehearted

Total bullshit as usual from Keith,in prior interviews he has claimed he would carry a 38 special in New York,for protection when would go to get drugs in the lower East side,so that line about only using pure stuff is part of his mythology....

Or was the part about the .38 part of the mythology?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 18, 2013 04:02

Glad he defied the odds (and predictions).

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 18, 2013 04:38

71Tele
Glad he defied the odds (and predictions).
thumbs up
I think wheneever he laughs "that Keith laugh and smiles that sly Kieth grin" he does it partly knowing/thinking how great he has done in out living all those naysaying predictors... and he keeps doing that to this very second. smileys with beer

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 18, 2013 11:35

The way I read he's been lucky to have the kind of constitution that lets folks get away with more than they ought to !

A lot of folks hadn't... and didn't.

It's nice that in recent years,at least when not in characature mode, he has spoken a bit more responsibly about drug use.

Date: December 18, 2013 11:38

"Too tough to die", or something winking smiley

Keith has been lucky to have people around him, as well access to the best doctors money can buy.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 18, 2013 13:00

...and he's really a Goblin >grinning smiley<

Posted by: greenriver ()
Date: December 18, 2013 13:53

kwf
ROPENI
stonehearted

Or was the part about the .38 part of the mythology?

Agree, this is mythology, could you imagine Keith Richards buying drugs with .38 in the street like junkies do it. So many guys are around them were ready to do the job. Average junkies have no other ways that going down in the streets.

Re: God Loves Keith Richards
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:23

God Loves Keith Richards
by Ginger (2006)

God loves Keith Richards. He sent us down the greatest, longest living rockstar there will ever be.
Made him immune to death. Gave him excellent haircuts and great clothes.
Blessed him with the gift of the riff, to spread long and far. C’mon, Jesus didn’t get half of that. ...

I love Keith Richards with all my heart. We all do. God loves him. Well, God loves us all -
but he’s only got one poster on his wall.

[www.classicrockmagazine.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2013 14:52

He sure beats the odds... most probably cos (as he often said) he was somewhat careful with his drug intake... unlike Hendrix who'd gulp down everything that was handed to him.

And I betcha that from 75 on he used poor Ron as a guinea pig when an unknown unreliable dealer would offer to sell him something while on tour! >grinning smiley<

"Ron it's Keef come to my suite at once! You're my best pal so I want to give you 2 grams of XXXX as a proof of friendship"
Then Keef would watch the effects of the substance on his pig/pal grinning smiley

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 18, 2013 17:12

Its also in his genetics!
He like Mick come from long living stock.

Just think how long he could live if he didn't
smoke or do drugs....But then it wouldn't have Been
the Keith we all love.

Plus Keith said about drugs, which I loved----

" Just because you see a table of food doesn't mean you have to eat it all! "

Everything in moderation....

Date: December 18, 2013 17:49

What's on this table of food? Is it a nice smoked brisket or perhaps all you can eat lobster?

Why can't I eat it all? What gives...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 18, 2013 17:54

I don't think moderation is the key word with Keef. There are countless tales of extreme drug intake by the riffmeister. I think he's lucky to be alive at all. He can also thank some of the Stones entourage for keeping the dodgiest drug puveyors away while on tour.

Lastly, the Keef mystique might have played : drug dealers are as vain as you and me so the idea of selling stuff to Keef might give a boost to their ego. Therefore they might have been keen on providing some "clean" stuff to the man instead of the usual "cut with plaster and rat killer" stuff...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 18, 2013 18:14

ROPENI
stonehearted

Indeed total BS, Keef would swallow or snort whatever was at hand and partied with squatters on the Lower East Side in the 80's. He drove a Chevy Caprice and would leave it wherever he was to get towed in the morning. He'd call his people when he awoke after taking a taxi or walking home, "Go find my car in the tow yard." He'd then do the same thing the next night.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: December 18, 2013 18:33

i used to be in a band called the long dead chimps.

Date: December 18, 2013 20:47

hot stuff
Its also in his genetics!
He like Mick come from long living stock.

Just think how long he could live if he didn't
smoke or do drugs....But then it wouldn't have Been
the Keith we all love.

Plus Keith said about drugs, which I loved----

" Just because you see a table of food doesn't mean you have to eat it all! "

Everything in moderation....

In his memoir, he also made the comparison of drugs to a steak, adding, "You wouldn't eat a steak if it was full of maggots, would you?"

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 19, 2013 07:30

MunichHilton- Props on the chimpanzee/knuckle reference. Hilarious.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 19, 2013 17:23

stonehearted
I'm sure his shepherd's pies are peasant in name only--he has indicated that the onions he uses he grows himself in a garden. And there are all these gourmet chefs to cook for them on tour.

Peasants grow their own onions, y'know. Just sayin.' grinning smiley

Also, in the clip you posted below, he appears to have had a perm . . .

Date: December 20, 2013 01:19

Aquamarine
Peasants grow their own onions, y'know. Just sayin.' grinning smiley

Also, in the clip you posted below, he appears to have had a perm . . .

Yes, quite true--but they can't afford to hire a gardener or two to do the actual work.smiling smiley

Yes, Keith was still going for the look of rock star hair in his days with the Winos.... before he began resorting to making a virtual Christmas tree out of his hair by hanging all that fishing tackle and key rings on it.

"Patti, have you seen the car keys? I'm sure I hung them up somewhere...."

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 20, 2013 01:34

stonehearted
What about Freddy Sessler supplying him with stuff from Swedish labs like Sandoz? Bill Wyman went out to get him some street stuff in a pinch when he was going through withdrawal in 1977--Bill comments in Stone Alone that it was a rare occasion when they actually bonded.

Keith would never go get drugs himself--if you've read of the Nellcote days, there were always various mules bringing it to him. Speaking of mythology, that was just Keith posing in various interviews to self-mythologize the gun-toting outlaw image he so carefully cultivated.

The only time he ever actually used a gun--aside from once completely egregiously in a room full of people--was to shoot one of Bobby Keys golf balls out of his breakfast plate.

stonehearted - If I were you, I'd be careful, dear, I was drummed out of IORR (banished, banned, whatever you want to call it) for having this exact discussion.

- swiss

Date: December 20, 2013 02:13

swiss,

Wow, no kidding?! I was merely trying to distinguish fact from fiction based on what I've read, but I appreciate the cautionary words.

I've since moved on to things like Keith's various hairstyles and garden, so I think I'm on safer terrain now, he said brushing the back of his hand across his forehead and going 'Whew!'.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 21, 2013 05:32

stonehearted
swiss,

Wow, no kidding?! I was merely trying to distinguish fact from fiction based on what I've read, but I appreciate the cautionary words.

I've since moved on to things like Keith's various hairstyles and garden, so I think I'm on safer terrain now, he said brushing the back of his hand across his forehead and going 'Whew!'.

He he! smiling smiley I too was merely trying to draw the line between fact an fiction, and threw in some historical context that resulted in.... won't go down that road again.

But, seriously, you dodged that bullet [from Keith's shooter] - 'Phew!' indeed!
-swiss

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1817
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home