Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8
Re: R&R Hall of Fame inductees
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 21, 2013 23:33

I've never heard of any of these people:

Roky Erickson & The 13th Floor Elevators
Can
Bauhaus
Pere Ubu
The fall
Gary Holton
Tangerine Dream
Eintruzende Neubautem
Scott Walker,
Throbbing Gristle,
The Slits,
Screamin Jay Hawkins,
Fela Kuti,
The Cramps
Augustus Pablo,
Freddy Cannon
Radio Birdman
The Birthday Party
Sixto Rodriguez
Diamanda Galas

And no, I'm sorry, but that list is stupid. A hall of fame shouldn't be everyone and their mothers getting in. It should be for specific people, the best of the best, and over half of those people you mention are nowhere near that level. Why the hell should Whitney Houston be in a rock and roll hall of fame? Disregarding the fact that Madonna is in (I can't do anything about that), that is a pop star at its finest and has nothing to do with a rock hall of fame. I don't know how you can argue it otherwise. And no, people like Stevie Nicks (solo career I presume), Pete Townshend (solo career), Television, The Troggs, Bobby Keys, etc, either are already in with their respective groups or were nowhere near influential enough as a group to stand up with the best. I love Mott The Hoople, but come on, they are not one of the best rock and roll bands of all time and they shouldn't be in a "hall of fame". Its not a knock to these people, but it should be a high esteem that most don't reach and not everyone can get into just for being popular or because you like them. I have said that with T Rex.

The Hall has gone downhill anyway with who they've already inducted, but that doesn't mean that just because Madonna is in means people like Pete Townshend should go in for his solo career. I mean, thats literally ridiculous.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 22, 2013 00:07

RollingFreak

Can
Bauhaus
Pere Ubu
The fall
Gary Holton
Tangerine Dream
Eintruzende Neubautem
Scott Walker,
Throbbing Gristle,
The Slits,
Screamin Jay Hawkins,
Fela Kuti,
The Cramps
Augustus Pablo,
Freddy Cannon
Radio Birdman
The Birthday Party
Sixto Rodriguez
Diamanda Galas

I'm not replying to argue on whether or not these artists should be in the Hall or not, but if you really haven't heard these people then you should.

Roky Erickson as a vocalist was an important influence on Janis Joplin and subsequently Robert Plant. The 13th Floor Elevators are generally credited with being the pioneers of "psychedelic" rock.

Their signature hit You're Gonna Miss Me from 1966:

You should really check out the DVD You're Gonna Miss Me documenting the troubled life and triumphant comeback of Rocky Erickson:

More recently Roky has collaborated with the Black Angels and has had a revived solo career.

Scott Walker is one of the great enigmatic mystery men of rock. He started out in the mid-60s as part of The Walker Brothers, which were considered the English Righteous Brothers, and two of their hits were staples on the original format of oldies radio for many years.

His solo career has shifted to the avant-garde and he releases a record once every blue moon and his work is critically successful if commercially invisible. Here is an interview and profile from 2006 on the Culture Show.

You might enjoy the DVD documentary that is mentioned in that clip, Scott Walker: 30th Century Man.

Fela Kuti is an African musician that Ginger Baker teamed up with in the early 70s. You can find out a bit about this collaboration from viewing the recent documentary Beware of Mr Baker. Here is a live recording featuring Kuti, Baker, and the Africa '70 from 1971.

Date: December 22, 2013 03:01

seitan
keefriffhard4life
seitan
Where is:

Ike & Tina Turner
Willie Nelson,
Thin Lizzy,
Black Flag
Henry Rollins
Whitney Houston
Albert Collins
The Stray Cats
Los Lobos
Townes Van Zandt
Captain Beefheart
Can
Marianne Faithfull
Richard Hell
Joe Cocker
John Coltrane
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Suicide
Gram Parsons,
The Damned
Bauhaus
Lemmy
and his band The Motorhead or Lemmy and his old band The Hawkwind.
Krawtwerk
Roxy Music
Ornette Coleman,
Pere Ubu
Devo
The Dead Boys
Joan Baez,
Pearl Jam,
Junior Walker
Joy Division
George Clinton
Siouxie And The Banshees
Public Image Limited
Bobby Keys,
Cyndi Lauper
Rory Gallagher,
Sting,
The fall
Nicky Hopkins,
Billy Preston,
Diana Ross
Gary Holton
Mott The Hoople,
The MC5,
The New York Dolls,
Tangerine Dream
Eintruzende Neubautem
Buzzcocks
Scott Walker,
Sonny & Cher,
The Troggs,
Toots & The Maytals,
The Cure,
Marc Bolan & T-Rex,
Peter Frampton,
Pete Townshed,
The Pogues,
Slim Harpo,
J Geils band,
Sonic Youth,
Throbbing Gristle,
Humple Pie,
Uriah Heep,
Link Wray,
The Slits,
Dick Dale,
Barry White,
Tom Jones,
Screamin Jay Hawkins,
Fela Kuti,
Shangri Las,
Herbie Hancock,
Television,
Slade,
Steppenwolf,
The Sonics,
Warren Zevon,
The Cramps
Carole King
Joan Jett,
Augustus Pablo,
Nico
Freddy Cannon
Radio Birdman
Killing Joke
Amy Winehouse
Gil Scott Heron,
Stevie Nicks
Ben E King,
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds,
The Birthday Party
Sixto Rodriguez
Ginger Baker
Diamanda Galas
Cheap Trick

some of those artists aren't eligible. why would willie nelson be in the rock HOF? several of those bands no one has heard of. some of those people you named are in already

If there is one artist on that list that you have never even heard of - then you dont know anything about history popular music !! Dont come here and tell me that no one has heard of them - everyone on that list has been really important artist. It's only YOU that dont know about rock history.

Everyone on that list deserves to be in rock n roll hall of fame ( and I dont even like all them, but this is not about what I like or what I dont - every artist on that list is important to the evolution of popular music. ( Willie Nelson is not only country artist he has done rock music too - and rock n roll hall of fame already has artist like Madonna so it really dont matter if someone is less rock than others )

yup the ultra popular and influential radio birdman, gil scott heron, throbbing gristle, etc. how can the hall be so dumb to miss getting those bands in?

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 22, 2013 04:26

RollingFreak

Can
Bauhaus
Pere Ubu
The fall
Gary Holton
Tangerine Dream
Eintruzende Neubautem
Scott Walker,
Throbbing Gristle,
The Slits,
Screamin Jay Hawkins,
Fela Kuti,
The Cramps
Augustus Pablo,
Freddy Cannon
Radio Birdman
The Birthday Party
Sixto Rodriguez
Diamanda Galas

And no, I'm sorry, but that list is stupid. A hall of fame shouldn't be everyone and their mothers getting in. It should be for specific people, the best of the best, and over half of those people you mention are nowhere near that level. Why the hell should Whitney Houston be in a rock and roll hall of fame? Disregarding the fact that Madonna is in (I can't do anything about that), that is a pop star at its finest and has nothing to do with a rock hall of fame. I don't know how you can argue it otherwise. And no, people like Stevie Nicks (solo career I presume), Pete Townshend (solo career), Television, The Troggs, Bobby Keys, etc, either are already in with their respective groups or were nowhere near influential enough as a group to stand up with the best. I love Mott The Hoople, but come on, they are not one of the best rock and roll bands of all time and they shouldn't be in a "hall of fame". Its not a knock to these people, but it should be a high esteem that most don't reach and not everyone can get into just for being popular or because you like them. I have said that with T Rex.

The Hall has gone downhill anyway with who they've already inducted, but that doesn't mean that just because Madonna is in means people like Pete Townshend should go in for his solo career. I mean, thats literally ridiculous.

WHAAAAAAT ??? WHAT AM I READING ???

So you really dont know anything about rock music and it's history. - if you dont know how important those artist are - or if you dont even know who they are - you really dont know the history of rock music and you really dont know what youre talking about !!!

You dont know Screamin Jay Hawkins and you dare to write here ? -

Screamin Jay Hawkins invented HORROR ROCK and gave us rock theatrics - Huge influence on Rolling Stones ( even Keith played on one of his albums) and huge influence on The Doors, etc...and Alice Cooper. (In fact Alice Cooper stole his act !! - there wouldnt be Alice Cooper without Hawkins) Screamin Jay Hawkins is the guy who decided to bring snakes, coffins on stage and wrote I Put A Spell On You - One of biggest selling hits of popular music. Later covered by Nina Simone, Creedence Clearwater Revival and millions of other artist and one of biggest.

From Wikipedia: "I Put a Spell on You" is a 1956 song written by Screamin' Jay Hawkins, whose recording was selected as one of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll. It was also ranked #313 on the Rolling Stone magazine's list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

Anyone who doesn't know Screamin Jay Hawkins - shouldnt be on this forum at all !!And should never even open their mouth about blues and evolution and birth of rock music

Roky Erickson & The 13th Floor Elevators - the band that invented psychedelic rock ( First band ever to have the word " psychedelic" in an album cover..and that's just start of it...One of the main inspirations for psychedelic bands of the sixties...like Billy Gibbons of the ZZ Top said: Without Roky we wouldnt have southern rock and hippie era bands would have all sounded really different.

I dont even like Eintruzende Neubautem or Throbbin Ghristle myself but even I do know how important they are to evolution of Industrial rock music...
It seems to me that you dont know about the history of Goth, Industrial rock, etc...Those genres of rock music are just as important as heavy metal or punk or disco or hip hop or ..this is not about my taste and what we like or hate - it's about bands that change history, about bands that take rock music to new places, it's about pioneering work and evolution, about creativity and about inventing new forms of rock music, it's about how much they influence !! - and not only about mainstream record sales !!!

But speakin of record sales. There is that Freddie Cannon dude - one rock pioneer who had several huge hits - (songs that were later covered by Rolling Stones too )

And then there's Birthday Party ??

Just like Velvet Underground they sold poorly - but they changed the world of rock music too - I guess you're some kind of old fart who thinks that rock music ended when Beatles broke up Do you realize that history of rock music didn't just happen in England and USA ? Do you know that there is other places too ?? Like what do you know about artist that came from..say..Australia ?? - Australia is a big place and there's lot of people who enjoy rock music and that has a history too ??? The Birthday Party - the band that gave us Nick Cave ? Hello Nick Cave - If you're gonna let Nick Cave in Rock N Roll Hall OF Fame - you cant really ignore the band that made him famous in the first place ?? Ever heard of him ??? Do you know anything about Nick Cave ??

Actually I should ask - What do you know about history of rock music ?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-22 05:07 by seitan.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 22, 2013 04:38

keefriffhard4life

yup the ultra popular and influential radio birdman, gil scott heron, throbbing gristle, etc. how can the hall be so dumb to miss getting those bands in?

yeah, - well Grammy Life Time Achievment winner Scott-Heron's work is just that..he pretty much invented what we now call RAP MUSIC. - And it's not a band - it's a seventies rapper. Solo artist, singer, poet. So not good enough for Rock N Roll Hall OF Fame but good enough for best grammy that anyone can get, huh ?

He has influenced writers, academics and musicians from indie rockers to todays rappers. His work during the 1970s influenced and helped engender later African-American music genres such as hip hop and he has been widely described by music historians as "the godfather of rap" and the first Hip Hop artist..

Ever heard of Rap or Hip-Hop ?? Or are you just one those who think that music ended when Beatles broke up ?

If you dont know Gil Scot Heron - you dont know anything about Afro American music. and clearly you have never heard of musical movement called rap music or hip hop culture.

Maybe you should follow what youngsters listen these days..you're little bit behind old fart, say ..erhm..ever noticed that somethings have been happening since the 70's in black American culture ??

But dont take my word for it, cause..I'm not a fan but ..You know he has fans, even famous fans:

Public Enemy's Chuck D " Gil Scot Heron - we do what we do and how we do because of you."

"He influenced all of hip-hop" - Eminem ..and Kanya West sang at his funeral... and there's that Barack Obama dude, who mentioned having Gil Scot Heron on his playlist...but I guess you dont pay any attention to what's happening in music.

Gil Scott-Heron was honored posthumously as a 2012 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award winner by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences..there's other rappers in rock n roll hall of fame..but this guy is not worthy in your opinion, ok ?? And all the rappers in the world worship Gil Scot Heron like it's a god or something, but..oh well, why bother..

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-22 05:17 by seitan.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 22, 2013 08:10

Take a pill mate. If you spoke to people in person the way you behave on the internet you'd have your lights smacked out.

Oddly enough your opinion is just as important and unimportant as anybody else's you childish pratt.

Date: December 22, 2013 09:52

seitan
keefriffhard4life

yeah, - well Grammy Life Time Achievment winner Scott-Heron's work is just that..he pretty much invented what we now call RAP MUSIC. - And it's not a band - it's a seventies rapper. Solo artist, singer, poet. So not good enough for Rock N Roll Hall OF Fame but good enough for best grammy that anyone can get, huh ?

He has influenced writers, academics and musicians from indie rockers to todays rappers. His work during the 1970s influenced and helped engender later African-American music genres such as hip hop and he has been widely described by music historians as "the godfather of rap" and the first Hip Hop artist..

Ever heard of Rap or Hip-Hop ?? Or are you just one those who think that music ended when Beatles broke up ?

If you dont know Gil Scot Heron - you dont know anything about Afro American music. and clearly you have never heard of musical movement called rap music or hip hop culture.

Maybe you should follow what youngsters listen these days..you're little bit behind old fart, say ..erhm..ever noticed that somethings have been happening since the 70's in black American culture ??

But dont take my word for it, cause..I'm not a fan but ..You know he has fans, even famous fans:

Public Enemy's Chuck D " Gil Scot Heron - we do what we do and how we do because of you."

"He influenced all of hip-hop" - Eminem ..and Kanya West sang at his funeral... and there's that Barack Obama dude, who mentioned having Gil Scot Heron on his playlist...but I guess you dont pay any attention to what's happening in music.

Gil Scott-Heron was honored posthumously as a 2012 Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award winner by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences..there's other rappers in rock n roll hall of fame..but this guy is not worthy in your opinion, ok ?? And all the rappers in the world worship Gil Scot Heron like it's a god or something, but..oh well, why bother..

so thats why i have no clue about some of these people. you are nominating a bunch of rappers for the ROCK N ROLL hall of fame. gee how could i have been so stupid.

Posted by: EG1964 ()
Date: December 22, 2013 10:17

From the RnR Hall of Fame website:

Induction Process

Election of Inductees

Leaders in the music industry joined together in 1983 to establish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. One of the Foundation’s many functions is to recognize the contributions of those who have had a significant impact on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll by inducting them into the Hall of Fame.

The Categories

Performers

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

The Foundation's nominating committee selects nominees each year in the Performer category. Ballots are then sent to an international voting body of more than 600 artists, historians and members of the music industry. Those performers who receive the highest number of votes are inducted. The Foundation generally inducts five to seven performers each year.

Beginning in 2012, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame opened Nominee voting to fans around the world. The Top Five Nominees as voted by the fans count for one ballot entry, which is weighted the same as individual ballot entries submitted by members of the international voting body.

Ahmet ertegun award

Songwriters, producers, disc jockeys, record executives, journalists and other industry professionals who have had a major influence on the development of rock and roll. (Please note that in 2011, the Ahmet Ertegun Award has replaced the Non Performer category.)

Early Influences

Artists whose music predated rock and roll but had an impact on the evolution of rock and roll and inspired rock’s leading artists.

The special selection committee elects the inductees in the Non-Performer and Early Influences categories.

rock and roll hall of fame award for Musical excellence

This category was introduced in 2000. It honors those musicians, producers and others who have spent their careers out of the spotlight working with major artists on various parts of their recording and live careers. Though they often play a key role in the creation of memorable music, the public rarely knows them by name. A separate committee selects the inductees in this category. (Please note that in 2011, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Award for Musical Excellence has replaced the Sidemen
- See more at: [rockhall.com]

OT: KISS - Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame controversy
Date: February 24, 2014 17:23

Discuss.

My thoughts? Gene and Paul are being dicks are should let people have one last reunion performance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 03:07 by bv.

Re: KISS - Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame controversy
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 24, 2014 18:39

Dave Mustaine was asked what he thought of Gene Simmons. Mustaine said, "Fur trader."

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: February 24, 2014 18:42

There should be no discussion as it is a JOKE that they got in.

Cartoon rock

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: February 24, 2014 18:53

I'm no fan of Kiss or the decrepit R&RHOF, but I would posit they certainly have their place in the pantheon for better or worse. Sales, hits, influence. Moreover, I would add that "cartoon" is as appropriate a moniker as any in rock and roll. Most of us went from Marvel and DC to buying albums. The Ramones (uncritically in the R&RHOF) understood this pop culture element. Bubblegum was a big influence on them and Blondie and others. The Beatles were a cartoon! Not to mention the Archies (stiffed by the R&RHOF again!)....

My point is simply that frivolity and silliness are welcome ingredients in the stew. I love the Stones, Beach Boys, Beatles, Who, Kinks, Motown, Stax etc. I also loved Paul Revere and the Raiders.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: February 24, 2014 18:53

I saw a live concert of them on Palladia tv. They sounded like a bunch of kids trying to play. Just terrible as far as playing together goes.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 24, 2014 19:01

For all the talk the Hall of Fame gets on here, the one good thing that comes from it is the possibility of groups getting back together for at least a song or two. Let Ace play 2000 Man, then the replacements can join for the rest of the set!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: February 24, 2014 19:09

Typical gene and Paul.

Date: February 24, 2014 19:12

Anyone who cares to tell what the controversy is all about?

Date: February 24, 2014 19:48

DandelionPowderman
Anyone who cares to tell what the controversy is all about?
Kiss was supposed to perform and now they're not because all of them are being babies. Its making all the news.

Date: February 24, 2014 20:01

Thanks. Have they been inducted?

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 24, 2014 20:15

I guess they just don't see any $$$$ to be made from it. Have you seen all the crap they put their name to?

Really? Hello Kitty?

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: February 24, 2014 20:18

Hey, that apron is kinda cool!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: February 24, 2014 20:34

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 24, 2014 21:01

Yeah, that apron totally rockssmiling smiley At least Kiss are being straightforward about the fact that they're like only in it for the dough.
I wish our boys would have the f...... courtesy to admit that it's all about the money for them at this point in their career.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: February 24, 2014 21:17

wow , gene and paul are dropping the ball . just perform already with the current incarnation of the band and then maybe if gene wants maybe ask ace to come up and ditto for peter criss. if not just do it with tommy thayer and eric singer or hey lets get crazy and ask bruce kulick to come up for some unmasked era song.either way gene and paul do something already .wow this is bummer news !

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: February 24, 2014 21:20

Heart went through the same nonsense a year or two ago, and finally played with the good Heart lineup, and then the current-day group.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 24, 2014 22:42

Kiss just played outside during an NHL game. I laughed my butt off! Watch Simmons posing for the 5 photographers in front of the stage. How embarrassing.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 24, 2014 22:49

More Hot Rocks
Kiss just played outside during an NHL game. I laughed my butt off! Watch Simmons posing for the 5 photographers in front of the stage. How embarrassing.

Is that a bass guitar or a boombox with a neck and strings?

Date: February 24, 2014 23:01

RockinJive
I saw a live concert of them on Palladia tv. They sounded like a bunch of kids trying to play. Just terrible as far as playing together goes.

yeah these guys suck and can't play together:

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 25, 2014 02:13

Those videos are funny as hell...half those guys weren't even in kiss...Kiss is comic book rock that is pure cheese whiz, and not very good cheese whiz at that.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 25, 2014 02:28

Same scenario w/Blondie a few years back.

Posted by: MRJIMMMY ()
Date: February 25, 2014 02:52

i saw them once. they opened up for aerosmith. 7th row center. was cool with all the flames and heat but after the second song it was time to get a beer.
I do have to say that they were LOUD.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 5 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1857
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home