Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT: R&R Hall of Fame inductees - KISS talks etc
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 17, 2013 17:52

[www.cnn.com]

Linda made it!
So glad.
The rest, eh....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-25 03:10 by bv.

Re: R&R Hall of Fame inductees
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2013 17:54

KISS is in finally !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 17, 2013 18:14

Insane that Deep Purple still didn't @#$%& make it. I love KISS, but Purple is more deserving first.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 17, 2013 18:19

Considering the nominees, I think this is a good selection.

Lot of previously overlooked: Linda, Hall & Oates, Cat Stevens, and KISS.

Peter Gabriel as a solo to me didn't seem to be as necessary, since he's already in as a member of Genesis.

Could have been worse.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: December 17, 2013 19:04

What do you guys think about Andrew getting in on his own?
Might make for a cool musical jam tribute to the Stones!?

Also, as far as KISS goes...
Ace and Peter BETTER @#$%& BE INVITED and they BETTER @#$%& BE PERFORMING or else Gene and Paul will be damned straight to hell.

(Maybe too late for that anyway)
(The damning part)

Date: December 17, 2013 19:24

Kurt

Ace and Peter BETTER @#$%& BE INVITED and they BETTER @#$%& BE PERFORMING or else Gene and Paul will be damned straight to hell.

(The damning part)
gene is the demon

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 17, 2013 19:27

They need to rename it to the POP Hall of Fame. The term rocknroll just doesn't apply to most of these artists.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: December 17, 2013 19:38

Kurt

(The damning part)

They'll probably be there, but Gene and Paul already said they aren't performing together if they got in. Ace will be singing 2000 Man across the street.

Date: December 17, 2013 19:46

StonesCat
Kurt

(The damning part)

They'll probably be there, but Gene and Paul already said they aren't performing together if they got in. Ace will be singing 2000 Man across the street.
lots of time in between now and aprill . so i hope to have all of KISS on stage including ace and peter . it might be premature but i wonder if gene is already planning the "hall of fame KISS tour"with ace frehley and peter criss. probably a longshot but hey who knows . i am sure gene is tossing about numbers and how much can be made with the classic lineup!

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: December 17, 2013 22:21

Why is KISS there - they dont deserve it, they are lame New York Dolls and Alice Cooper tribute copy cat band - when New York DOlls are not there, Kiss should stay at the parkin lot. Kiss sucks anyway.

And why isnt N.W.A there..they are one of the most important Rap bands ever, when you have other rap acts there..N.W.A should be there too...

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: December 17, 2013 22:39

Nirvana in, but not the Replacements.

Insanity.

Date: December 17, 2013 22:47

Cat Stevens being still alive and walking free, insanity.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 17, 2013 22:53

seitan
Why is KISS there - they dont deserve it, they are lame New York Dolls and Alice Cooper tribute copy cat band - when New York DOlls are not there, Kiss should stay at the parkin lot. Kiss sucks anyway.

And why isnt N.W.A there..they are one of the most important Rap bands ever, when you have other rap acts there..N.W.A should be there too...

Agree seitan......let's put on Kate Bush instead

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 17, 2013 22:56

Kiss in and no Deep Purple. I can't take it.

Cat Stevens? What the hell did this guy ever do to be inducted? Moonshadow...Peace Train.... So what.. So why not put Jim Croce in.

Date: December 17, 2013 23:13

Dont talk to me about Kiss...where is Dolls ??

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 17, 2013 23:16

For the record, since getting in, Gene has immediately changed his stance about playing with Ace and Peter. He says now he's fine with it if its just for this. "Why not?" are his words:

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 17, 2013 23:34

seitan

alive and riding the peace train. What's insane about that?

But what do I know? I like Kiss!

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: December 18, 2013 00:12

I was so excited/surprised about Linda getting in, I didn't see KISS on the list...
Awesome. Anyone who disses their making it can suck on it. I know many people who came of age in that era who wanted to pick up a guitar because of KISS, so there. It's not just about who you like, or who has personally impacted your life, or who you deem 'important' enough, but who made an impact on a certain time, generation. For that reason, I can see Nirvana and KISS, and not necessarily The Replacements, who I love, but were primarily an indie fave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 00:16 by stupidguy2.

Date: December 18, 2013 00:49

Braincapers
seitan

alive and riding the peace train. What's insane about that?

But what do I know? I like Kiss!

Peace train, we are talking about the man who said in prime time TV that Salman Rushdie deserves to be murdered ? What do you know, not much. Cat Stevens hasnt been riding the Peace train for several decades, he's now blood thirsty religious fundamentalist. extremist

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 00:56 by seitan.

Date: December 18, 2013 01:06

stupidguy2
I was so excited/surprised about Linda getting in, I didn't see KISS on the list...
Awesome. Anyone who disses their making it can suck on it. I know many people who came of age in that era who wanted to pick up a guitar because of KISS, so there. It's not just about who you like, or who has personally impacted your life, or who you deem 'important' enough, but who made an impact on a certain time, generation. For that reason, I can see Nirvana and KISS, and not necessarily The Replacements, who I love, but were primarily an indie fave.

i agree, and that's why I dont understand why New York Dolls are not included first, without The Dolls - there wouldnt never been Kiss or Aerosmith for that matter, New York Dolls is the reason why many people who came of age in that era who wanted to pick up a guitar discovered KISS - without Dolls, there wouldnt have never been Kiss...without Dolls, no kiss. Even the name of kiss comes from the Ny Dolls song..

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:06

flacnvinyl
They need to rename it to the POP Hall of Fame. The term rocknroll just doesn't apply to most of these artists.

That would be an improvement. Most of the rock or rocknroll acts who arent in it yet are shit and dont deserve to be anywhere near it to begin with.

Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:29

"Great rock and roll hall of fame debate!" - said nobody ever

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 01:29 by hbwriter.

Date: December 18, 2013 01:50

weLL, I have hard time understanding what Hall and Oates have to do with rock n roll - it's just elevator music to me, I know that some people want to rembember the past of Cat Stevens and ignore the fact he's now religious fundamentalist homophobic extremist, who has given public death threats to homosexuals, women and writers like Salman Rushdie - We are now willing to celebrate Al Qaida and Taliban movement when it hapens in popular music - cause nobody cares what he believes or what he does in his free time. Will Gary Glitter get nominated someday, sure. I think people like Gary Glitter and Cat Stevens should get locked up and ignored and not celebrated and awarded in public.

Beatles manager Brian Epstein and original Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham will both receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers. that seems to be the coolest thing.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: December 18, 2013 01:52

This dog said it best regarding that "thing" in cleveland.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 18, 2013 02:11

seitan
weLL, I have hard time understanding what Hall and Oates have to do with rock n roll - it's just elevator music to me, I know that some people want to rembember the past of Cat Stevens and ignore the fact he's now religious fundamentalist homophobic extremist, who has given public death threats to homosexuals, women and writers like Salman Rushdie - We are now willing to celebrate Al Qaida and Taliban movement when it hapens in popular music - cause nobody cares what he believes or what he does in his free time. Will Gary Glitter get nominated someday, sure. I think people like Gary Glitter and Cat Stevens should get locked up and ignored and not celebrated and awarded in public.

Do you have an objection to the Stones playing their next scheduled concert in what is generally considered by westerners to be an oppressive, homophobic country where women are treated like second class citizens?

I'm not trolling - it's a genuine question.

Gary Glitter was locked up, incidentally, and I'm personally unaware of him being 'celebrated' by anyone in the music industry since his initial convictions. His music doesnt even get played on the radio in the UK anymore. And rightly so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 02:12 by Gazza.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 18, 2013 02:28

seitan
without The Dolls - there wouldnt never been Kiss or Aerosmith for that matter,

Aerosmith released their first album in '73--same as the Dolls.

A better premise would be, without THE STONES there wouldn't be an Aerosmith or New York Dolls.

Date: December 18, 2013 02:33

So, which inductee song should be covered and by what band?

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: December 18, 2013 02:49

Well I agree about the "pop" but but another part of the honour is "fame".

The New York Dolls may well have inspired Kiss and Aerosmith - I really don't know. The point is however that these two bands are world famous and have been for decades. Aside from Americans (perhaps?) who's even heard of the NYD? I don't know a song they do. I know nobody that does.

Did they ever have a hit or sell records to speak of? Whether they were brilliant live or on record or influential isn't the point - the point is they weren't famous.

Aerosmith have sold what? a couple hundred million records? Even outsold the Stones in the US I think? Kiss have been a success in the US from 73/74 and in many regions of the world since '79ish?

The "fame" part is often overlooked. There are so many inductees on the list I do not recognise the names of.

Led Zeppelin is fame. U2 is fame. Bowie. The Beatles. Springsteen.

Acts such as the New York Dolls are not.

And Gazza I agree..."Most of the rock or rocknroll acts who arent in it yet are shit and dont deserve to be anywhere near it to begin with."

Date: December 18, 2013 03:02

loog droog
seitan
without The Dolls - there wouldnt never been Kiss or Aerosmith for that matter,

Aerosmith released their first album in '73--same as the Dolls.

A better premise would be, without THE STONES there wouldn't be an Aerosmith or New York Dolls.

Aerosmith released their first album in '73 Yeah - and what does that have to do with anything ? I dont get your point, do you have one ?

Other than that the two bands had shared management team? Dolls manager Steve Leber being the manager of New York Dolls first and then starting to work with Aerosmith and without Dolls management team - you or me would've never even heard of Aerosmith, cause their fame was created with the Dolls help and the Dolls managers work in creating audience for Aerosmith.

Aerosmith won in the long run, simply because the band managed to stay together . But if you take only that "classic" mid-Seventies period for both bands, there's hardly any doubt that the Dolls were not only far closer to the Stones in spirit, but also far more tasteful and more talented than Aerosmith. Moreover, the Dolls had a sense of humor: they never seemed to be taking themselves way too seriously, quite unlike the pretentious,'epic', power-ballad-drenched 'Smiths.

Unfortunately, it gradually became clear that the American public wanted the bombastic power ballads the New York Dolls, with all their humor and - relative - intelligence, could go to hell. Their music wasn't heavy metal enough for the tastes of young demented potheads, and their image, with constant cross-dressing motives (also inherited from the Stones, of course), was far less appealing to radio friendly mainstream happy family values America. ( read: whimpy people got scared of the Dolls)

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 18, 2013 03:11

Congrats to KISS finally making it! I can't see why on earth one of the most popular and influental long-time American rockbands has been so under-rated over the years, taking whatever kind of 'rock artists' have been nominated. I'm not a fan of theirs at all, but I have never understood what is so 'wrong' with them, compared to many others. Too commercial? Too popular? Simmons's persona? Too rock'n'roll? Even too American for Americans?grinning smiley

I think if there is any band having lived and played according to the juvenile dictum "It's Only Rock'n'Roll But I like It", it's them! Pure idiocy, but seemingly fun.tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 03:14 by Doxa.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1996
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home