Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Mick Taylor's Vocals
Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: December 11, 2013 17:20

Sorry, if this has been discussed before in the distant past, but why didn't MT sing on stage when he was in the Rolling Stones 1969-1974 era? He has a good voice. I mean it's certainly more than adequate. I was listening to his first album the other day, and he had a nice, clear, fresh voice. Nothing signature about it, but he can carry a tune and certainly harmonize. His speaking voice back then was very British smiling smiley, he sounded very soft-spoken and educated. Now his voice is much rougher...not so much when singing, but when talking as was evidenced by his voice-overs in Crossfire Hurricane.

Anyway, why didn't he sing backup vocals at the very least in concert? He was always criticized for having a boring stage presence...well, singing might have resolved that problem somewhat. I think the only videos that I've seen him singing into a mic was Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Dancing with Mr. D. I could be wrong, possibly there are a few more. In other videos I've seen him singing, but sort of mouthing the words in the background, nothing formally. It would have been kind of cool back then to see him and Jagger sharing a mic, the way Jagger and Richards did.

Re: Mick Taylor's Vocals
Date: December 11, 2013 17:23

Bellajane
Sorry, if this has been discussed before in the distant past, but why didn't MT sing on stage when he was in the Rolling Stones 1969-1974 era? He has a good voice. I mean it's certainly more than adequate. I was listening to his first album the other day, and he had a nice, clear, fresh voice. Nothing signature about it, but he can carry a tune and certainly harmonize. His speaking voice back then was very British smiling smiley, he sounded very soft-spoken and educated. Now his voice is much rougher...not so much when singing, but when talking as was evidenced by his voice-overs in Crossfire Hurricane.

Anyway, why didn't he sing backup vocals at the very least in concert? He was always criticized for having a boring stage presence...well, singing might have resolved that problem somewhat. I think the only videos that I've seen him singing into a mic was Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Dancing with Mr. D. I could be wrong, possibly there are a few more. In other videos I've seen him singing, but sort of mouthing the words in the background, nothing formally. It would have been kind of cool back then to see him and Jagger sharing a mic, the way Jagger and Richards did.

He did in the videos, and on the albums. I guess he was too busy playing...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 11, 2013 17:53

have you ever heard mick taylor play guitar ?

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 11, 2013 17:58

Bellajane

He was a lot looser in the "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" promo than anytime before, and it would have been interesting to see if that would have been the case during the '75/'76 tours had he hung around a couple of years longer.

They probably would have done "Time Waits For No One" too had Taylor not quit.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: December 11, 2013 18:08

He can be heard singing on Sway.

Date: December 11, 2013 18:10

TheGreek
have you ever heard mick taylor play guitar ?

Well..yes I have.confused smiley

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 11, 2013 18:11

Fuman2

he sure can be heard playing on Sway..

Date: December 11, 2013 18:20

Definitely!! Especially the solo when he was with Carla Olson!!smiling smiley

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: December 11, 2013 19:03

Fuman2

On the single. Unsure about the album version.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: December 11, 2013 19:42

smokeydusky
Fuman2

On the single. Unsure about the album version.

Not on the album, but I've never heard the single.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 11, 2013 20:14

Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 11, 2013 22:08

He sang great backups to Ronnie last month and I'm not just polishing his apple.. He did real harmonies.

Date: December 11, 2013 22:22

DoomandGloom
He sang great backups to Ronnie last month and I'm not just polishing his apple.. He did real harmonies.

You're polishing his Big Apple...you know..New York, the Big Apple..Ronnie and Mick performed in New York. Just trying to be funny.tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, I don't think he had bland vocals either. I think his voice is more than adequate..definitely for backup vocals and harmonies.

Date: December 11, 2013 22:52

His 'singing' is something like the sonic equivalent of watching paint dry. grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 11, 2013 22:58

....witnessed his excited dancing ..... stick with the guitar playin' Mick

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 11, 2013 23:58

For some reason he was never very audible on Stones songs as a singer. He did some great lead vocals on his own records though.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: December 12, 2013 00:57

His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

He is a much better vocalist than Brian Jones.winking smiley

Date: December 12, 2013 01:00

strat72
His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

Loved Brian's vocals (Walking The Dog, I Wanna Be Your Man!

Taylor sings in key, and that's that, imo.

Date: December 12, 2013 07:59

strat72
His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

Not hard to do, but atleast Brian wasn't bland. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 12, 2013 08:20

Fuman2

That's Keith.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 12, 2013 08:24

He wasn't credited with vocals on a Rolling Stones album until Goats Head Soup, where was credited with "vocal" (which I always thought meant just one song. Then on IORR, he was credited with "vocals" and sang (or mimed) on the IORR and Til The Next Goodbye videos. I thought his vocals on his first solo record were very good, reminded me of Keith. Have a listen to Leather Jacket, Broken Man, and SW5.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: December 12, 2013 08:32

His Majesty
His 'singing' is something like the sonic equivalent of watching paint dry. grinning smiley

You mean to say that he can sing for 10 hours?

Date: December 12, 2013 08:35

grinning smiley

Date: December 12, 2013 09:52

71Tele
Fuman2

That's Keith.

It's baffling that so many don't know that Keith is on Sway...

Date: December 12, 2013 16:04

His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

I would call it more nondescript than bland, but still a decent voice nonetheless.smiling smiley

Date: December 12, 2013 16:10

71Tele
He wasn't credited with vocals on a Rolling Stones album until Goats Head Soup, where was credited with "vocal" (which I always thought meant just one song. Then on IORR, he was credited with "vocals" and sang (or mimed) on the IORR and Til The Next Goodbye videos. I thought his vocals on his first solo record were very good, reminded me of Keith. Have a listen to Leather Jacket, Broken Man, and SW5.

I listened to the cd again this morning on the way to work. Totally enjoyed it. Broken Hands is awesome and it's a shame it didn't become a hit single. It is a good rockin' song...great tune. If anyone wants to know the reason(s) why MT left the Stones, well the lyrics.."fools around me, devils inside, circus..." something to that effect, certainly explains his mindset back then.

Date: December 12, 2013 16:30

Can't agree totally, but I'm glad you enjoy it, Jane:

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: December 12, 2013 16:33

strat72
His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

Sometimes he is even a better singer than the other mick in the...band.
Jeroen

Date: December 12, 2013 16:35

corriecas
strat72
His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

Sometimes he is even a better singer than the other mick in the...band.
Jeroen

That NEVER happened smiling smiley

Date: December 12, 2013 17:05

Bellajane
His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

I would call it more nondescript than bland, but still a decent voice nonetheless.smiling smiley

Life is too short to bother listening to nondescript singers.

He should just stick to playing guitar and forget about singing, lead vocals atleast because he is awful at it.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home