Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Mick Taylor's Vocals
Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: December 14, 2013 23:45

buffalo7478
Love Mick Taylor's playing. But he is not a lead vocalist. Pretty bland.

Eggzactly - MT's vocals are bland at best. I think I even prefer Bill Wyman's vocals over his, bland as his are too.

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: December 15, 2013 00:18

latebloomer
71Tele
Mathijs
We won't be having an endless Wood/Taylor debate here this time. Taylor just isn't a good singer, and doesn't have a good voice.

Mathijs

Wood is worse.

...and we're off! Personally, I think it's a tie.

Taylor's has a bluesy, rather soulful voice. Wood's voice is an aquired taste, pretty raspy.
What is interesting is that they perfectly complement each other and actually sound great singing together. As was in evidence at the NYC gigs last month.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-15 00:34 by Chacal.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 15, 2013 19:42

Wood was tolerable on Ooh La La and his first solor records, and now is unlistenable. I think Taylor did a damn fine job on his first solo record, but now just sings like a million other blues-based guitarists - functionally at best.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: December 15, 2013 19:43

DandelionPowderman
Can't agree totally, but I'm glad you enjoy it, Jane:

when that was recorded he should have got mick jagger to overdub the vocals and removed his own , I love the song myself but that would have been fantastic! its easy to imagine MJ vocals on this.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: December 15, 2013 19:58

latebloomer
71Tele
Mathijs
We won't be having an endless Wood/Taylor debate here this time. Taylor just isn't a good singer, and doesn't have a good voice.

Mathijs

Wood is worse.

...and we're off! Personally, I think it's a tie.

They agreed a draw lately and enjoyed it. Both as a singer and guitarist. They are no chess players.

Date: December 15, 2013 20:18

71Tele
Wood was tolerable on Ooh La La and his first solor records, and now is unlistenable. I think Taylor did a damn fine job on his first solo record, but now just sings like a million other blues-based guitarists - functionally at best.

Well, he certainly got a grip on his singing on I Feel Like Playing. I agree about a couple of albums before that, though.

Today, he sings pretty good, imo.

Seemingly, taking lessons (guessing), quitting drugs and booze helped a lot.

You gotta admit that the Far East Man-vocals are way more than "tolerable"??

Date: December 15, 2013 20:19

straycatblues73
DandelionPowderman

when that was recorded he should have got mick jagger to overdub the vocals and removed his own , I love the song myself but that would have been fantastic! its easy to imagine MJ vocals on this.

It still wouldn't sound like the Stones, imo. Something about the guitars...

Date: December 15, 2013 20:33

DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
DandelionPowderman

It sounds like Mick Taylor...

Posted by: FortuneTeller800 ()
Date: December 15, 2013 20:48

His Majesty
strat72
His Majesty
Mick Taylor's Vocals...

... are very very bland.

He is a much better vocalist than Brian Jones.winking smiley

Not hard to do, but atleast Brian wasn't bland. >grinning smiley<

Ah, you beat me to it. LOL. IAW u re MT's vocals.

Date: December 15, 2013 21:46

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
DandelionPowderman

...trying to sound like the Stones on that particular number smiling smiley

Date: December 15, 2013 21:59

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73
DandelionPowderman

...trying to sound like the Stones on that particular number smiling smiley

I don't mind the comparison, but if he tried, then it's only good.

Date: December 15, 2013 23:30

Sounds good, but different, imo.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2013 01:51

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

Well, he certainly got a grip on his singing on I Feel Like Playing. I agree about a couple of albums before that, though.

I do, DP, but we all know George helped him out on that one!

Posted by: Chacal ()
Date: December 16, 2013 02:31

DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

Your comment seems to be based on the notion that everything should sound like the Stones...
Did you know there's life outside (and after) the Stones ?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 16, 2013 11:17

71Tele

I really like his singing on Slide on This though.

Mathijs

Date: December 16, 2013 12:01

Chacal
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

Your comment seems to be based on the notion that everything should sound like the Stones...

He he, yes I do. In fact, I'm probably listening way more to other bands and musicians nowadays smiling smiley

However, when straycatblues73 said Taylor should have brought in Jagger to finish this song, it is for a reason. This track, in particular, is the Stonesy one on Mick Taylor's first album. Some also say its lyrics is about why he left the group, as well as a sticking a few thorns in their sides.

For me, the sound on Broken Hands is pure Stones - from the Keith riffs (played in standard tuning, btw) to the rougher attitude in his vocals and the drive in the song. At least, it sounds like that's what he wants to achieve. There's only one problem: It doesn't sound that way - like all the other bands who wanna sound like the Stones. So when Taylor plays the archetypical Keith riff, he lacks the depth as well as the power and timing. It's the same when Ronnie tries it with the Faces. It just isn't right, imo.

I thought this was obvious - maybe it isn't. IMO, he doesn't succeed in creating the sound, but it's one of the few good songs on the album anyway.

A pretty daring question on your fifth post, Chacal. You wouldn't be one of the returning prodigal IORR-sons, would you? winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-16 12:03 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: December 16, 2013 12:06

Chacal
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

Fact is that this is a RS fan club. I plead guilty though, seemed to have forgotten that over the years.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 16, 2013 12:07

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele

I do, DP, but we all know George helped him out on that one!

He didn't help him out on this one. The difference between Taylor (who is totally ok on vocals, but nothing more, imo) is within how much soul that comes across to the listener, imo.

Date: December 16, 2013 12:08

LuxuryStones
Chacal
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

Fact is that this is a RS fan club. I plead guilty though, seemed to have forgotten that over the years.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Even on a Beatles fan club, that track would lead the listener to Keith and the Stones smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2013 12:15

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Chacal
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

Even on a Beatles fan club, that track would lead the listener to Keith and the Stones smiling smiley

Chapeaux to Taylor then. Besides he was a Stone. cool smiley

Date: December 16, 2013 12:16

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Chacal
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

He sure was, but the interesting this with this track is that he never played like that IN the Stones smoking smiley

Date: December 16, 2013 12:21

DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Chacal
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

He sure was, but the interesting this with this track is that he never played like that IN the Stones smoking smiley

Taylor moves in a mysterious way, DP..smiling smiley

Date: December 16, 2013 12:24

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones
Chacal
DandelionPowderman
straycatblues73

Taylor moves in a mysterious way, DP..smiling smiley

He sure did in London (Nov 25), and I loved it! thumbs up

Date: December 16, 2013 14:28

DandelionPowderman

For me, the sound on Broken Hands is pure Stones - from the Keith riffs (played in standard tuning, btw)

Taylor played it in open E, DP.

Date: December 16, 2013 14:35

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman

For me, the sound on Broken Hands is pure Stones - from the Keith riffs (played in standard tuning, btw)

Taylor played it in open E, DP.

Yep, I listened to it now. Open E it is. That's probably what made it sound so different - same with Ronnie in the Faces. The "Keith riffs" won't get the same ringing with the thicker strings.

Date: December 20, 2013 01:21

Another good performance.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 20, 2013 01:41

lol.

Date: December 20, 2013 02:35

LOL to what? I haven't watched the video. ..

Date: December 23, 2013 19:01

Chacal

What is interesting is that they perfectly complement each other and actually sound great singing together. As was in evidence at the NYC gigs last month.

On the other hand that chord progression is a tad too predictable, methinks..,

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: December 26, 2013 15:39

Mick Taylor's vocals sound better as Keith Richards.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1998
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home