Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Your memories of "finding" the Stones?
Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 7, 2013 23:19

I would have to say my very first Stones exposure was at about the age of 9 to 10 at my uncles house just down the road. A young neighbor of their's had some records but no player so he'd left a Stones record (Flowers) I think at their house to listen to when he'd visit. I decided to play it and after hearing Ruby Tuesday I was hooked for good. Something about that mellencoly hopelessly sad sound they had just hit me right between the eyes and I coulnd't get enough of it ever since. Of course at that age I had no idea Jimmy Reed had already perfected that sound years earlier. I just knew I liked it and was excited about it enough to have been a fan my entire life.
After that of course came records like Beggers and Let it Bleed and others and I quess I just got in to them during their finest era. Brian was still alive and good and it was just a magical time to be a Rolling Stones fan.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 8, 2013 01:30

My older brother's 8-track player in his '72 Duster pumping out Exile on the way to school with me in the back, ears bleeding...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-08 01:31 by shadooby.

Posted by: MainStreetExile ()
Date: December 8, 2013 09:29

I was four years old. I was sitting at a table in the basement, coloring, with the radio on. And Tell Me went on. And I stopped coloring.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: December 8, 2013 09:58

Found some EPs in my dad's record stack, "Mother's Little Helper" with "Lady Jane", "SFM"/"Long Long While", which I quite liked, but the revelation was the guitar intro of "Under My Thumb" on "Still Life"...I was totally floored in that record shop listening station.

My interest in the Stones has never waned since and was rewarded (beyond anything I'd ever imagined) last year with a second row spot at the Trabendo and the public rehearsal in Bondy ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: December 10, 2013 14:21

The first Stones album I bought myself was in summer 1995 when I was 18 and in Hastings, UK on a month´s stay ("language school"). It was the 3-CD box London Years - Singles Collection. It´s funny to recall now that, even though I had listened to my Dad´s records (and he didn´t have them all), the first time I even heard JJF was a few days before my first show in June 1995, on the radio. From the show and until now, JJF was and is still my favourite Stones song. cool smiley

Buying and listening to the albums as I gradually found them was truly special. Like finding treasures all the time! smiling smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: bbkink ()
Date: December 10, 2013 19:57

My dad had Rolling Stones "Now". He could not believe how well these english kids
were performing Howlin' Wolf's "Little Red Rooster".

He would play the album at least twice a week and just laugh because "Those boys got it!"

This is coming from a man who born in Yazoo County, Mississippi.

"Off The Hook" is still one of my all time faves.

[savoirfaire-hoorayforhollywood.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-10 19:58 by bbkink.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: December 11, 2013 01:17

I knew about the Stones before I ever heard them, because some of the older girls at my school, and the big sisters of some of my friends, had been to see them at the Crawdaddy or Eel Pie Island. Then the songs began to appear on the radio, and I found out what all the fuss was about - Come On, I Wanna Be Your Man, Not Fade Away, It's All Over Now, Little Red Rooster, The Last Time, Off The Hook and Play With Fire... Soundtrack to my schooldays, before Satisfaction was even dreamed of, and all favourites to this day.

Incidentally, there was no record player in our house. I heard the songs on the radio or TV, and recorded them off-air on a reel-to-reel tape recorder (an extremely low-fi ancestor of the illegal download). So my early Stones music wasn't LPs but singles, B-sides and whatever they played live on Saturday Club.

Date: December 11, 2013 01:21

Worried About You and Tops were the two first songs I heard. Good times! Feels like yesterday.

Posted by: pcerio ()
Date: December 12, 2013 17:08

My father brought home Flowers, Aftermath, and Out Of Our Heads on vinyl, and ENHM and Between The Buttons on reel-to reel when he got out of the Navy in late '67. Not sure whatever happened to Now! 12X5 and December's Children but they didn't make it back.

Sometime around 7 or 8 years old I discovered these and have been a fan ever since. It's hard to believe that was 35 years ago.

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 12, 2013 17:35

Everybody heard "Satisfaction" pumping out of little transistor radios belonging to cousins or camp counslers or babysitters in '65. I was eight that year.

4-5 years later some friends and I got out one of their brother's copy of "Beggars'." We proceeded to chase either around the basement family room shouting "WHOOO! WHOOO!" which, along with the slinky samba of SFTD, I found quite exhilarating. About the same time we saw "Gimme Shelter" at the theater. Later I asked for 'Sticky Fingers' for my birthday. By then the die was cast.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: December 13, 2013 03:51

In 1980 or so, I saw the "It's Only Rock & Roll" sailor suit video on some Dick Clark 25 Years of Rock special and thought that Mick was by far the funniest-looking human being I'd ever seen. I was 8. The following summer, I was looking through my mom's old records and came across Out Of Our Heads. Brought it upstairs to my room and slapped it on, Side 2 first. I heard the opening riff to "Satisfaction" and lost my friggin' 9 year old mind. "Start Me Up" was all over the radio shortly thereafter, and I remember seeing footage of the crowds rioting outside Sir Morgan's Cove on the local Boston news.

Santa brought me Tattoo You and High Tide & Green Grass on Christmas '81 and I was off to the races.

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: December 16, 2013 01:23

Hello Cocaine Eyes! rob51 here from Winnipeg Canada and yeah I know the Woolworth chain very well. I too would haunt the r section of the local record shop as a kid, and remember very well longing to buy the earlier Rolling Stones records. I'd already heard some of them by going to my older sisters houses and listening to their roomates records and if I remember correctly Beggars was the one that really did it for me once and for all. They'd been good before that. That was different though and once I'd heard those particular tunes I was as hooked as anyone could ever have been.

Posted by: gipsy12 ()
Date: December 16, 2013 06:35

My first memory of a Stones Song, when I was a child, is "Angie". Unfortunately, my music taste turned afterwards into another direction and after a very long time, only three years ago, I "found" the Stones again. Little by little I discover all their musical "treasures".

Posted by: jaypee65 ()
Date: December 16, 2013 10:58

I was close to 40 and had never seen a "big" rock concert. Actually, I also never bothered really for rock'n'roll: I was foremost a jazz and classical guy with a master degree in musicology. I had "Exile" and thought it was "nice" but never really listened to it.
Anyway, the Stones had announced a concert in my hometown (in 2003) and I thought, well, if I have to see one group in my life, then it must be the Rolling Stones. I bought tickets and my wife and I went. After a couple of songs, I thought "Gee, this is damn good...". Then, on the small stage, Mick took his harmonica and they plaved "I Just Want To Make Love To You" and I thought, "OK, this is awesome". BTW, I didn't know any song besides "Satisfaction"...

The day after, I was looking for everything -music, articles, books- I could find on the Rolling Stones. 10 years later, I have all their albums (cd and lp), several bootlegs, dvds, loads of books... and I teach a class on rock'n'roll at the University where I work, next to my jazz and classical music courses!

And the Rolling Stones are in my personal pantheon, next to Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Maurice Ravel, Gustav Mahler and Bob Dylan (who followed soon after I discovered the Stones)...

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2410
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home