Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Your memories of "finding" the Stones?
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 1, 2013 02:58

My thunderbox!
It not only taught me The Rolling Stones but also about The Far East Network, Casey Kasem and greater satisfaction.

Posted by: ndhan ()
Date: December 1, 2013 04:33

My older sister had some of her girlfriends over after school to listen to records (they wouldn't let me hang out with them so I listened from the other room). I heard 'Everybody Needs Somebody To Love' and that was it for me. I was 12 and I remember that was when I started to love the Stones. I have never stopped in all these years! As Mick says it's just something chemical!

Lurker Nancy

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 1, 2013 04:39

I remember visiting my aunt and uncle sometime around 1969, when I would have been 10, and rummaging around through their music collection, which was entirely on cassettes, and finding that the only hip thing they owned was a copy of High Tide and Green Grass. It was literally the only rock music in their collection. The second-most rocking thing they owned was Petula Clark. So I played the Stones tape, and though I recognized most of the songs from hearing them on the car radio or from vaguely remembered Ed Sullivan appearances, this was the first time I'd heard a whole LP's worth of Stones tracks at one time. In very short order, I had my very own LP copy of HTAGG, and a Rolling Stones poster on my wall (the photo, from late '69, puzzled me because even accounting for the longer hair, these didn't appear to be the same five guys that were on the cover of HTAGG, and of course, they weren't).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-01 04:42 by tatters.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: December 1, 2013 06:59

My older brother had the "Tumbling Dice" single (I was only seven in '72) and I remember hearing that and "Happy" often on the radio in late '72/early '73... then came "Angie" and Goat's Head Soup later in '73.

Used to buy two singles a week with my allowance...first Stones purchase was the "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo" single on February 9, 1974 (wrote the date on the sleeve!) Was only a casual fan the rest of the '70s ("Miss You" was a turnoff for me, although I liked the rest of Some Girls)...then I became a mega-fan in '81 with Tattoo You and the subsequent tour.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: December 1, 2013 09:43

Jah Paul

first Stones purchase was the "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo" single on February 9, 1974 (wrote the date on the sleeve!)

Man after my own heart!

Re: Why Did We Jump On Their 'Band Wagon' At The Start Of All This?
Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 1, 2013 15:16

Deltics

Number 1 with a bit of number 2.
"What DO they think they look like?confused smiley "
winking smiley

Same for me.

I can't remember any of my friends being into the stones.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 1, 2013 17:32

I was listening to Pirate Radio Ships and Radio Luxembourg through my transistor radio at the time and enjoyed The Stones songs such as; Not Fade Away-Tell Me-Route 66 and others, but it was the song It's All Over Now that came out of a jukebox in 1964 that nailed it for me.

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: December 1, 2013 18:24

As a child I was mostly exposed to my dad's music i.e.=1950s R&R: Elvis, Cliff R. and the Shadows, Jerry Lee Lewis etc. at the 7th grade the teacher organized a "Purim" theme party at school (yes I' m jewish...) and wanted it to be a "50/60s party". as I was known as Elvis fan I was asked to gather the music. I searched my fathers records for a couple of days and went through several 20-25 year old records he never played: Sg Peppers, D'zraeli gears, Rubber Soul, "Beatles 1965" (a record he charish saying it was an "expensive quality US made record" and "The Rolling Stones" #1 and #2. I remeber liking some of the Lennon balads, sunshine of your love, with a little help , srg peppers (song) and 3-4 more, but found the RS songs to be horrible and disliked them. couldnt believe thats the same band whi did satisfaction, which I already knew from Appocalipce Now movie.... later I learned that in the 60s hits were usually not included in albums. 2-3 years later it was 1989-90 and many of tbe giants went on mega tours: The Who (whom I discoved meanwhile and became my favorites), Macca, RS and the legendary Knebworth festival in 1990. Begged for money from all elder of the family+flipped burgers by night AND ... saw all the above live:RS at Barcelona! it was actually at that show, which I did saying "dont fancy them but one day my older self will thank my younger self" that I became a Stones fan!

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: December 3, 2013 13:18

I discovered them accidentally, which is funny - as my parents always tell me they played a lot of Stones records at home when I was little.... But I just cannot remember it. Weird, really. I remember so much other music from home.

When I was 13 (in 1990, as my nick would tell you) we were to write a school paper about a band or artist. As I didn´t get my wish since others had chosen it already, I saw "The Rolling Stones" written on a classmate´s book and I thought "Why not?" I used Bill´s "Stone Alone" (recently being published) and listened a bit to my Dad´s records - but it didn´t really stick (yet).

About 2-2,5 years later I gave it another go, as I went through my folks´ entire record collection. Oh joy! My musical world changed dramatically (almost upside-down). By the end of 1993 I was a Stones fan and gradually ditched almost everything we all listened to back then. To my luck, Voodoo Lounge and the coming tour was near. June 9 1995 was my first concert and that was the beginning of it all. smiling smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------

Literally 965 kilometers from being "Born in an Arctic zone".

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 3, 2013 15:01

I found the 'Hot Rocks' album in my childhood home basement. I have several older brothers and sisters who were all out of the house, and they left a lot of crap for me to discover in late 70s, early 80s.

Mind you, this is how I 'found' the Beatles, so I discovered them first. But upon listening to this one by the Stones I learned there was much more happening in the 60s. From here I then learned the rest, of course (The Who, Hendrix, Dylan, Motown, Byrds, Simon/Garfunkel...Tiny Tim).

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 3, 2013 15:11

I turned on the radio in the autumn of 1964 and heard 'Not fade away' and ' Little Red Rooster' and bought the single 'Come On/I want to be loved' the next day as I remember it....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 3, 2013 16:17

Hot Rocks and a Stones shirt. Born in '77, so I missed out on a lot obviously. It seems the Stones have always been there, in my life. 2 memories that probably had the most affect are below.

My parents moved to Pittsburgh when I was very young. As a kid, my family and I traveled between Pittsburgh and Scranton a lot. Hot Rocks was album that was always played during these roadtrips. I remember my dad saying he like GS and PIB. So being little and idolizing my dad, I liked them too.

Around the age of 8, my dad took me and my older brother and his girlfriend on a very cool, fly-in only fishing trip in northern Quebec. At some truck stop in Canada, my bro asked my dad for some money for a shirt. He comes back to the table and shows us the shirt. There it was, the tongue. I can still see it, like it was yesterday.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: December 3, 2013 16:25

I was over 20 years, and living in Finland I had heard Angie and IORR so many times in the radio. I had to go to

to a record shop
My first Stones record was Hot rocks. After listening it I went to the same store and put Sticky Fingers, Exile, Their Satanic, More Hot Rocks, Goats Head soup, IORR and Beggars B on the desk. The guy behind the desk asked if I wanted his opinion of which of these should I buy. “No” I said, “I want them all”. Should have seen his face..

Very late night after bars are closed (I was 25?)
Two friends of mine stayed for that night with me. Someone of us (might have been me.. can´t remember for sure..) decided have a video party (VHS, late 80`s). Only capable one was from Stones tour 1981. After playing it three times (..as far as I remember..) we noticed it was already 10 o´clock a.m. It took quite a while my neighbours started saying hello again.

Live (I was 25)
First gig was Urban Jungle Tour 1990: everything so exciting, new, big. Highlights all the time, perhaps the best memories from the superb lightshow within 2000 Light Years, huge tower in Sympathy..

Addiction, but enjoyable.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 3, 2013 21:36

as a little kid listening to the radio and hearing satisfaction, paint it black, the last time , get off of my cloud .i was to young to really appreciate them ,but as i grew up a little bit ,i started to get them into my soul bigtime !!!!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 4, 2013 16:59

AM radio WLS and WCFL Chicago early in the game. Had to be 1963-1964. I was 10!!We became life long disciples at a very young age.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:40

stonehearted
A U.S. television commercial advertising Hot Rocks would play in the after-school hours of late afternoons in 1978 and 1979 when I was 12. Only the choruses of certain songs would be in the commercial, but I was quite taken with those main melodies for songs such as Ruby Tuesday, Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, and You Can't Always Get What You Want.

It would be a couple of years before I would begin purchasing their back catalog to hear the rest of the parts of songs around those melodies that initially captivated me in the Hot Rocks commercial.

For a first-generation fan, maybe it was a single on the radio or a TV appearance that did it, but for second-generation fans like me and beyond, I would say that Hot Rocks is the most important Stones album ever released, as it makes for an essential starter. ABKCO did the Stones an enormous and lasting favor with that release, and I doubt even Mick Jagger himself realizes it.

EDIT: I've been trying to track down this commercial online and have found some info. Many other fans seem to recall this very commercial, which is from 1978. There was even a thread on the Steve Hoffman forums about it. It appears that it was actually one of those "Sessions" packages called "Greatest Hits".

DVL2-0268 - The Rolling Stones' Greatest Hits - Rolling Stones [1977] (2-LP set) Blue Abkco label. Disc 1: Not Fade Away/Tell Me/It's All Over Now/Good Times Bad Times/Time Is On My Side/Heart Of Stone/The Last Time/Play With Fire/Satisfaction//Get Off My Cloud/I'm Free/As Tears Go By/19th Nervous Breakdown/Mother's Little Helper/Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?/Paint It Black; Disc 2: Lady Jane/Let's Spend The Night Together/Ruby Tuesday/Dandelion/We Love You/She's A Rainbow/2000 Light Years From Home//Jumpin' Jack Flash/Child Of The Moon/Street Fighting Man/Honky Tonk Women/You Can't Always Get What You Want/Wild Horses/Brown Sugar

Listed at: [www.bsnpubs.com]

Found a clip of Detroit TV station WXYZ's final 15 minutes of their sign-off from Easter 1980, including TV commercials. The Rolling Stones mail-order Greatest Hits package from Sessions begins at 2:33 and runs to 4:34.

Yeah, I had this album. Very similar song list to Hot Rocks.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: December 4, 2013 17:42

My earliest memory of the Stones is hearing "Brown Sugar" on the radio while traveling in the car with my family. It sounded so alive and exciting that I couldn't understand why everyone else was so calm and indifferent to the music smiling smiley

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 4, 2013 18:14

Claire_M
My earliest memory of the Stones is hearing "Brown Sugar" on the radio while traveling in the car with my family. It sounded so alive and exciting that I couldn't understand why everyone else was so calm and indifferent to the music smiling smiley

Oh yea, almost all Stones singles first heard on car radios were like epiphanies. Those early mono mixes just jumped out of those little speakers.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 4, 2013 22:24

filstan
Claire_M

Oh yea, almost all Stones singles first heard on car radios were like epiphanies. Those early mono mixes just jumped out of those little speakers.

that was what got me, hearing those great songs on a car radio..
clearly remember hearing 'Paint It Black' and loving it, same with 'The Last Time', Satisfaction, etc..but Honky Tonk Woman was the catalyst to finally buy an album ..

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 5, 2013 00:35

I clearly remember walking from my junior high school (9th grade) to the city bus stop in 1965, listening to my transistor radio (about the size of a pack of cigarettes) through a small earpiece. I was probably listening to either KFWB, KHJ, or KRLA, all top 40 stations in L.A. Then (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction came on and I was hooked from that point on. I had never heard the type of guitar sound of the opening riff, and I thought it was a saxophone. I remember it like it was yesterday!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 5, 2013 14:29

Entered the record store when this one played in 1982, bought the album etc.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: December 5, 2013 20:55

I got into the Stones a little late, about the time Sticky Fingers came out. Having heard Bitch, I was hooked for good. Many years later, I am still addicted.

I want to change my handle from flimflam to stonedagain, if only I knew how to.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: December 5, 2013 21:19

Found a beat up copy of Ya's Ya's in the trash when I was about 12. The pacing of this record is terrific as we know and I was drawn into it immediately. These versions for me are the definitive performances of these songs. NOBODY plays SFM like Mick Taylor.... From then on The Stones were in my musical life but I saw them as this hard edged band, when Hot Rocks was released I was bewildered by the earlier pop stuff since I grew aware during the Taylor blues era. This is not to say I have not enjoyed Wood's tenure, oddly today he is the key member on stage.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 5, 2013 21:30

DoomandGloom
Found a beat up copy of Ya's Ya's in the trash when I was about 12. The pacing of this record is terrific as we know and I was drawn into it immediately. These versions for me are the definitive performances of these songs. NOBODY plays SFM like Mick Taylor.... From then on The Stones were in my musical life but I saw them as this hard edged band, when Hot Rocks was released I was bewildered by the earlier pop stuff since I grew aware during the Taylor blues era. This is not to say I have not enjoyed Wood's tenure, oddly today he is the key member on stage.

oddly today he is the key member on stage

I would have thought Chuck..

Posted by: BlondeOnBonds ()
Date: December 5, 2013 23:22

I hit the jackpot via a 12 for a penny Columbia House mail in. This was early in the compact disc age and the only Stones available through the oft ripped off company was Exile on Main Street. At the age of 12 the album was a fantastic revelation and light years away Ruby Tuesday. I worked backward from there; Slim Harpo, the gospel soul that inspired Shine A Light, country sleaze via Sweet Virginia, the swamp doom of I Just Wanna See His Face led to Dr. John and on and on. I still listen to this album monthly after 30 years.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 6, 2013 17:09

I remember being at a swimming pool at 13 and hearing their 'new single' "Beast of Burden" and was hooked; "Shattered" had me buy the album and have been a fan ever since. Sort of worked my way back into their early stuff from there.

They (and Zeppelin) got me into Blues too, listening to their versions then seeking out the originals.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 6, 2013 22:51

Numbers 1, 2, and 3. Good list!

(Aquamarine, are you British-born, transplanted to US, or still in the UK?)

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 7, 2013 03:11

angee

(Aquamarine, are you British-born, transplanted to US

This--though I'm going back over there for Christmas soon!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 7, 2013 04:19

Aqua, great! Happy holidays to you. thumbs up

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: December 7, 2013 09:40

Thank you--I've chosen some of the worst weather of the year to be flying, of course, but I'm sure I'll get there in the end! Hoping there'll be some interesting shows somewhere.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home