Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: The "best-sounding" Stones tracks ever
Posted by: seitan ()
Date: November 25, 2013 19:14

DandelionPowderman
seitan
I like albums that sound dirty, raw, huge and powerful and gutsy.. I always feel that real rock n roll should have loud and dirty electric guitars in your face, - So I guess Undercover is the worst thing they ever did, it's so lame... everything on Undercover sounds clean, tiny and thin..like Mickey Mouse singin in a dentist office or something.

If I had to choose one song it would be Dance Little Sister from Only Rock N Roll album.

There you go: Stones dont sound better than this:

The mix on DLS is dry and hilariously bad, imo - still I wouldn't change it for the world smiling smiley

What's wrong with the mix/sound on Tie You Up and Pretty Beat Up?

Pretty Beat Up has a thin eighties snare drum sound - you cant really hear the bass drum at all, not enough bass - - Mick's vocal performance is great - we all know that he's a good singer, but the vocals are soaked in dreadful eighties reverb echo. Songs sound clean, sterile and over produced and polished. - not enough dirt. Dance Little Sister might sound dry - and it's better that way, cause it's the real sound of the band, it's more dry and natural and you can hear the real character of the Rolling Stones. the personality of the band comes thru, when it's not soaked in cheap pro tools plugins.

Dance Little Sister has a great mix - it's not over mixed at all !! It's natural rock n roll mix, you can hear everything you need, like it really is.

I love the sound of the Rolling Stones, I don't need pro tools editing tools and effects to hide the character and personality of the musicians. This is rock n roll - so the best rock n roll mix is always simple.

I have the same attitude on women, if I wanna see the real personality of a woman, I don't need to photoshop her picture and I dont need to see any fake boobs. Undercover album sounds plastic and fake to me. Undercover is a pretentious record.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 19:34 by seitan.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: November 25, 2013 19:36

I have the "gold disc" CD version of the single-CD Brussells Affair, and that is pretty ridiculously amazing sounding. The sax solo and interplaying jam part in "Can't Always Get What You Want" is just fantastic....

I rate "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" off Sticky Fingers as a best-sounding candidate, studio-wise. It has so much clarity to it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 25, 2013 19:53

Markdog
This confirms what I've always thought, dispite recording advancements and technology in the last 40 years they still can't make a song sound better than they could in the early 70's.

agreed. IMO the 70's was the peak of how good a rock record could sound. in the 80's it got over produced and since then its gotten muddier sounding somehow. not that I don't listen to stuff after then, just sayin...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 19:55 by ryanpow.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: November 25, 2013 20:26

Now, this is the Rolling Stones, the way they were meant to be heard...

and

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 25, 2013 20:30

JerkyLittleGIJoe
Tumbling Dice. Great production only because they really worked on it painstakingly for weeks
!! smileys with beer vocal placement was groundbreaking... perfecting classic rock.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 25, 2013 20:46

citadel sounds amazing.

cool calm and collected is great to.

a few others would be

we love you
let it loose
time waits for no one
little t and a
slave
no use in crying

to much more to mention or i would be here all night.

Date: November 25, 2013 20:47

Something happens with the sound on TD toward the ending. Is it an out of tune guitar? It's fun when Jimmys drums kick in. Fantastic track!

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: November 25, 2013 20:54

Also, Keith's little solos on TD are turned way, which is nice. And the bass line by Mick Taylor is almost like a lead solo in itself. Very unusal song.

Date: November 25, 2013 20:57

Who's Driving Your Plane is awesome - sounds great !! That's real kick ass rock n roll, nothing slick, clean or sterile or phony about that track - just pure mean spirited nitro burning dirty blues and roll !!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: November 25, 2013 21:29

DandelionPowderman
Something happens with the sound on TD toward the ending. Is it an out of tune guitar? It's fun when Jimmys drums kick in. Fantastic track!
Never noticed this nuance. Digital mastering reveals many "flaws" the engineers at the time thought were passable for vinyl mastering. On Exile I can hear obvious generation loss due to track comping and blatant edits that I never heard previously. The latest Exile re-master is most guilty of this, digital mastering should reflect the original sound not enhance or restructure unless there are some major flaws. That's why I prefer Greg Calbi's early EXILE re-master from the archived safety masters despite the drop out in "SBA". There are many great sounding Stones records, from top to bottom "Sticky Fingers" has the most impressive mixes but tomorrow I'll pick "Let it Bleed"...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 21:33 by DoomandGloom.

Date: November 25, 2013 22:12

Sweet Virginia sounds great. Esp. once the sax kicks in, and all of the vocal tracks. A really full sound.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 22:12 by ryanpow.

Date: November 25, 2013 22:22

seitan
Who's Driving Your Plane is awesome - sounds great !! That's real kick ass rock n roll, nothing slick, clean or sterile or phony about that track - just pure mean spirited nitro burning dirty blues and roll !!

The sound on Who's driving your plain reminds me of how Dylan's albums were produced around that time, Hwy 61 and Blonde on Blonde.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 22:23 by ryanpow.

Date: November 25, 2013 22:32

seitan
DandelionPowderman
seitan
I like albums that sound dirty, raw, huge and powerful and gutsy.. I always feel that real rock n roll should have loud and dirty electric guitars in your face, - So I guess Undercover is the worst thing they ever did, it's so lame... everything on Undercover sounds clean, tiny and thin..like Mickey Mouse singin in a dentist office or something.

If I had to choose one song it would be Dance Little Sister from Only Rock N Roll album.

The mix on DLS is dry and hilariously bad, imo - still I wouldn't change it for the world smiling smiley

Pretty Beat Up has a thin eighties snare drum sound - you cant really hear the bass drum at all, not enough bass - - Mick's vocal performance is great - we all know that he's a good singer, but the vocals are soaked in dreadful eighties reverb echo. Songs sound clean, sterile and over produced and polished. - not enough dirt. Dance Little Sister might sound dry - and it's better that way, cause it's the real sound of the band, it's more dry and natural and you can hear the real character of the Rolling Stones. the personality of the band comes thru, when it's not soaked in cheap pro tools plugins.

Dance Little Sister has a great mix - it's not over mixed at all !! It's natural rock n roll mix, you can hear everything you need, like it really is.

I love the sound of the Rolling Stones, I don't need pro tools editing tools and effects to hide the character and personality of the musicians. This is rock n roll - so the best rock n roll mix is always simple.

I have the same attitude on women, if I wanna see the real personality of a woman, I don't need to photoshop her picture and I dont need to see any fake boobs. Undercover album sounds plastic and fake to me. Undercover is a pretentious record.

Your PBU is different than mine. I don't hear any tinny clean sound at all. On the contrary, it's muddy in a good way and full of bass. Not to mention the energy!

The IORR album is poorly mixed, and DLS is no exception, imo.

Date: November 25, 2013 22:34

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
Never noticed this nuance. Digital mastering reveals many "flaws" the engineers at the time thought were passable for vinyl mastering. On Exile I can hear obvious generation loss due to track comping and blatant edits that I never heard previously. The latest Exile re-master is most guilty of this, digital mastering should reflect the original sound not enhance or restructure unless there are some major flaws. That's why I prefer Greg Calbi's early EXILE re-master from the archived safety masters despite the drop out in "SBA". There are many great sounding Stones records, from top to bottom "Sticky Fingers" has the most impressive mixes but tomorrow I'll pick "Let it Bleed"...

I first noticed it the other day, after listening to the original single for the first time - I just bought it.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: November 25, 2013 23:15

I like it unpolished, dirty and raw.
Hate it when it's too perfect.
Don't want it to sound soft or kind.
I want to hear the sound of sexy arrogance and attitude,
want it to be 'mad, bad and dangerous.'
Rock&Roll, in other words.

Examples:

I Wanna Be Your Man
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Stray Cat Blues
Bitch
Rip This Joint

Date: November 25, 2013 23:27

The Worst.
I like it unpolished, dirty and raw.
Hate it when it's too perfect.
Don't want it to sound soft or kind.
I want to hear the sound of sexy arrogance and attitude,
want it to be 'mad, bad and dangerous.'
Rock&Roll, in other words.

Examples:

I Wanna Be Your Man
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Stray Cat Blues
Bitch
Rip This Joint

I agree !! - Great examples !! Love 'em for all the same reasons.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 26, 2013 00:11

DandelionPowderman
Some of the Chess recordings from the 60s also sound remarkably good:

Confessing The Blues
It's All Over Now
Look What You've Done

And tracks like What A Shame and I Just Can't Be Satisfied also has that same recording cleanness that most of the 60s recordings didn't have, imo.

Yeah, it is exactly those three songs from Chess sessions that I have also noticed having a surpirising sonical clarity and distinctivity compared to the stuff they generally did around the time. Especially I have admired "Confessin' the Blues" for its perfection. I think "I Can't Be Satisfied" goes a bit too clean and thin, but that probably has something to with the performance as well.

It would take not until AFTERMATH sessions they would achieve something similar to the effect. "Under My Thumb" is simply sublime, and so is "Paint It Black".

But that said, the Stones weren't - thank god - always so clear and distinct productionwise, and actually made a trademark of their rougher and dirtier sound, which sometimes was not probably an artistic choice (of their 'pro' producer) but more that of necessity... But the results were outstanding sometimes. I think the first real masterpiece productionwise is "The Last Time". It is archaic like hell, almost coming from a cave or something, but to my ears that one has always sounded eternally fascinating - like listening some Elvis Sun recordings, which defy time, place and technology. I don't know what Andrew were trying to achieve there - a cave man version of Spector's wall sound or what, with echo and all that, but damn that made a beautiful, chaotic, threatening, aggressive over-all sound, and the way that guitar riff sounds and is mixed to the whole is simply alone one of the greatest moments in the history of recorded music. Jagger's vocals - and Keith's background ones - are partly buried to the mix, but this decision interestingly emphasizes their effectivity, especially in the ending when Jagger starts screaming his 'ignorance'.

With "Satisfaction" they continued with this receipt of success, and no way with any lesser results... (unlike in too messy and rough "Get Off Of My Cloud" one single later).

But of those good ole mono days, I would still pick up "The Last Time" as my personal favourite simply for its originality in soundworld. I think the way it sounds is as important statement for independence - especially compared to guess who - as being a Jagger/Richard original. That was Andrew's lucky day...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-26 00:19 by Doxa.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 26, 2013 00:13

Who's Drivin Your Plane has terrible production in some ways ... listen to that insane reverb on the vocals ... it's a mess, but it's pretty cool nontheless. I agree it sounds a bit like mid-60s Dylan, especially because of the piano, harmonica and nasal stinging guitar.

Btw, is that Stu playing piano on that one?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 26, 2013 01:24

There are too many good sounding stones track to pick just one

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 26, 2013 01:49

DandelionPowderman
<The only other best-sounding Stones tracks outside of that would be from EMOTIONAL RESCUE and perhaps TATTOO YOU.>

What about the songs on Black And Blue?

They sound good just not as good as the ones I mentioned. I left off Tie You Up, that one has a fantastic sound.

Date: November 26, 2013 02:23

DandelionPowderman
seitan
DandelionPowderman
seitan

Your PBU is different than mine. I don't hear any tinny clean sound at all. On the contrary, it's muddy in a good way and full of bass. Not to mention the energy!

Less they mix things - the more real it is. Less is more.

Since some people point out that they love a song that has a bad production - maybe we should clear one thing up.

Are we talking about a song with clear production ( album where the recording engineers have done a great job at mixing, in creating something "artistic") or a song with a less production ( where recording engineers have kept the natural sound of the band with all it's distortion, dirt and mud - where in some cases they mixed hardly nothing whatsoever) - in both cases fans might love the result, I'm sure.

Surely, everyone can tell that Exile is rather muddy and dense sounding recording, ( some recording engineer's might even complain and admit that the engineers did their job very badly, somethings got lost, somethings are not all that clear, etc ) but I love the album for that very reason, to me it has a great production, it's dirty, muddy recording and far from clear, it sounds really natural to me. It sounds like band playing live in a basement. I know there's overdubs but still it has that live feel to it.

I love the early albums that were recorded live in a room.

In my opinion Stones always sound the best when the production is rather dry, when it really sounds like a rock band playing live in a room. ( for that very reason - I'm not a big fan of Undercover or Dirty Work.)

I like it when producers dont get in the way, when they let musicians be who they really are, less "production" the better it sounds. Every recording where you can hear the mistakes is lot more interesting - Stones are human beings with personality - and I like to hear that. I'm not a big fan of editing, polishing and cleaning the tracks to make them sound perfect. I think real human beings are never perfect and there's more character and personality in music, when you hear the little screw ups.

Less production means more real rock n roll.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: November 26, 2013 09:58

60's - Under my thumb , YCAGWYW,Monkey Man , Honky Tonk Woman
70's - If You can't rock Me ,Hand of Fate , Fingerprint File , Miss You
80's Tatto You album
90's - Bridges to Babylon

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 26, 2013 10:16

DandelionPowderman

I first noticed it the other day, after listening to the original single for the first time - I just bought it.

Is it the same mix? I dont have the single sad smiley

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: November 26, 2013 10:20

DoomandGloom
Digital mastering reveals many "flaws" the engineers at the time thought were passable for vinyl mastering. On Exile I can hear obvious generation loss due to track comping and blatant edits that I never heard previously. The latest Exile re-master is most guilty of this, digital mastering should reflect the original sound not enhance or restructure unless there are some major flaws. That's why I prefer Greg Calbi's early EXILE re-master from the archived safety masters despite the drop out in "SBA".

Oh, please do elaborate smiling smiley (Or drop me a line on this very interesting subject)
Where do you hear these edits, flaws, generation losses, drops and funky splices? *Bringing out my microscope*

Date: November 26, 2013 10:35

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
<The only other best-sounding Stones tracks outside of that would be from EMOTIONAL RESCUE and perhaps TATTOO YOU.>

What about the songs on Black And Blue?

They sound good just not as good as the ones I mentioned. I left off Tie You Up, that one has a fantastic sound.

The custom Tele and the Boogie was a winning team thumbs up

Date: November 26, 2013 10:38

RobberBride
DandelionPowderman

Is it the same mix? I dont have the single sad smiley

The mix might be a little different - or sounds come across more clearly on a 45, perhaps? I dunno, will check!

This was probably my first listen to TD with headphones in 15 years, though smiling smiley

Date: November 26, 2013 10:44

seitan
DandelionPowderman
seitan
DandelionPowderman
seitan

Less they mix things - the more real it is. Less is more.

Since some people point out that they love a song that has a bad production - maybe we should clear one thing up.

Are we talking about a song with clear production ( album where the recording engineers have done a great job at mixing, in creating something "artistic") or a song with a less production ( where recording engineers have kept the natural sound of the band with all it's distortion, dirt and mud - where in some cases they mixed hardly nothing whatsoever) - in both cases fans might love the result, I'm sure.

Surely, everyone can tell that Exile is rather muddy and dense sounding recording, ( some recording engineer's might even complain and admit that the engineers did their job very badly, somethings got lost, somethings are not all that clear, etc ) but I love the album for that very reason, to me it has a great production, it's dirty, muddy recording and far from clear, it sounds really natural to me. It sounds like band playing live in a basement. I know there's overdubs but still it has that live feel to it.

I love the early albums that were recorded live in a room.

In my opinion Stones always sound the best when the production is rather dry, when it really sounds like a rock band playing live in a room. ( for that very reason - I'm not a big fan of Undercover or Dirty Work.)

I like it when producers dont get in the way, when they let musicians be who they really are, less "production" the better it sounds. Every recording where you can hear the mistakes is lot more interesting - Stones are human beings with personality - and I like to hear that. I'm not a big fan of editing, polishing and cleaning the tracks to make them sound perfect. I think real human beings are never perfect and there's more character and personality in music, when you hear the little screw ups.

Less production means more real rock n roll.

We're just talking about what YOU consider to be a good-sounding track.

If you like it dry and live, that's cool - although I find it baffling that Tie You Up or Pretty Beat Up don't sound like that to you.

My main beef with the IORR tracks is that they sound like they're wrapped in cotton - lifeless. There are two exceptions, though: Fingerprint File and If You Really Want To Be My Friend. They sound excellent, imo.

I think Mick and Keith, being freshmen as producers, are to blame for this.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 26, 2013 11:22

DandelionPowderman

That might be true, but isn't it strange that THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES sounds sonically surprisingly fresh and good even still today? It had odd mixes and things like that but I don't find any big problem in them, quite contrary (even though having some other problems is production, such as keeping the artistic focus, etc...). For example, the mentioned "2000 Light Years From Home" sounds fantastic.

First timer's luck? LSD does miracles? And probably, as far IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL goes, even though having followed Miller behind the wheel for years, still couldn't quite continue from where he had left them?

- Doxa

Date: November 26, 2013 11:26

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

That might be true, but isn't it strange that THEIR SATANIC MAJESTIES sounds sonically surprisingly fresh and good even still today? It had odd mixes and things like that but I don't find any big problem in them, quite contrary (even though having some other problems is production, such as keeping the artistic focus, etc...). For example, the mentioned "2000 Light Years From Home" sounds fantastic.

First timer's luck? LSD does miracles? And probably, as far IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL goes, even though having followed Miller behind the wheel for years, still couldn't quite continue from where he had left them?

- Doxa

They had Brian Jones back then thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 26, 2013 11:52

I like the sound on my 7'-singel and 'We love you' also...great sounding...In the same way that I also like the sound of elephant feet that creeps across a Savannah ...

2 1 2 0

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1861
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home