Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: The "best-sounding" Stones tracks ever
Date: November 27, 2013 12:04

Doxa
shadooby
Think I'm Going Mad

Yep! UNDERCOVER is mostly dated stuff, but that one sounds timeless. Even back then, it sounded marvellous, thanks partly for being released in a maxi single, which allowed better sonical possibilities. There is so much room, it breaths so naturally, the mix is excellent. Like a breath of best Jimmy Miller days. It is a track that is great greatly due to the way it is produced and mixed.

And that took place in 1983/4 (even though it derived from EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions)!eye popping smiley

- Doxa

It's on the She Was Hot (normal) single as well, I just got it smiling smiley

It sounds like the rhythm tracks are recorded during the ER album (drums and bass, and perhaps Keith's guitar). Much of the same feel and sound that All About You has.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 27, 2013 12:18

You are into buying vinyl singles lately, Dandie, aren't you?

- Doxa

Date: November 27, 2013 12:21

Doxa
You are into buying vinyl singles lately, Dandie, aren't you?

- Doxa

My wife goes berzerk! grinning smiley

Got the first EP in the mail yesterday thumbs up

Date: November 27, 2013 12:47

This singles topic made me think of the initial point of this thread. Namely, now think of that, usually back in the vinyl days, it was the singles that sounded best. And for that reason, and not only chasing rare b-sides or different edits, it was important to get those. There is one particular single I remember making me an everlasting impact. Namely, "Honky Tonk Women".

If the gun would be put to my head and asked to name the best sounding Rolling Stones recorded piece ever, I most likely would go with "Honky Tonk Women". Never ever have the drums sounded - and presented - so great as they do here. No ever ever have guitar sounded so damn delicious as it does here. And no ever Jagger has sounded so Jagger as he does here. The production is simply genious - for example, not having bass until the chorus is so damn effective choice. This is probably Jimmy Miller's greatest hour ever. He had the best raw material a producer ever could get, and he did more than a perfect job.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 12:48 by Doxa.

Date: November 27, 2013 12:50

<No ever ever have guitar sounded so damn delicious as it does here.>

I agree about HTW, it sound fabulous. The same HiWatt-sound is to be found on the deLuxe version of Loving Cup, btw. As a proud owner of that amp brand myself, I couldn't agree more about the guitar sound grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 13:12

One particular feature in the production of "Honky Tonk Women" (which I take mean including arrangement and mixing) is the 'drama' it makes, which is typical to more 'epic' songs of the era. With "drama" I mean starting rather minimally and slow, and then adding more components to it, the gas is pulled more, and finally ending up to an almost riot. "Sympathy For The Devil", "Salt of The Earth", "You Can't Always Get What You Want" and "Moonlight Mile" comes to mind (to an extent "Gimme Shelter" and "Midnight Rambler" as well), but here the receipt is applied to a three minute single, a potential radio hit material. And with impressive results.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 13:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2013 13:22

DandelionPowderman

I agree about HTW, it sound fabulous. The same HiWatt-sound is to be found on the deLuxe version of Loving Cup, btw. As a proud owner of that amp brand myself, I couldn't agree more about the guitar sound grinning smiley

Might not be a hiwatt though. grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2013 13:29

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

Might not be a hiwatt though. grinning smiley

Which other amps give you that bright, but buzzy sound?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 27, 2013 13:42

It's not just the amp we are hearing.

It's probably hiwatt, but it might turn out to have been any of the amps they were shown using during spring - summer 1969. Fender Showman, Vox AC30 or WEM Custom 15, surprisingly there's even a Marshall half stack shown at one session.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-27 13:48 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 27, 2013 13:55

I like the Echo sound on 'Stoned'....

post nr 100

2 1 2 0

Date: November 27, 2013 13:56

His Majesty
It's not just the amp we are hearing.

It's probably hiwatt, but it might turn out to have been any of the amps they were shown using during spring - summer 1969. Fender Showman, Vox AC30 or WEM Custom 15, surprisingly there's even a Marshall half stack shown at one session.

True, and the latter can give a similar sound. It would surprise me a lot if it were a Showman...

Posted by: Matt ()
Date: November 27, 2013 15:27

I think as a whole album it's Sticky Fingers. Single tracks are those recorded at Chess. I can't be satisfied in particular.
Mats

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 27, 2013 15:49

LieB
Rev. Robert W.
LieB
Keith's "acousitc" guitar on Paint It Black on Flashpoint is the worst Stones guitar sound ever recorded.

Such a massive disappointment. And particularly unforgivable given how great their acoustic sound was "back in the day."

...Keith's epic fail of an acoustic on Flashpoint isn't even on the same planet.

He didn't play an acoustic on that tour, it was a solid body Electric Nylon. That's why it sounds so shitty. Here's a link.

[sadowskyguitars.blogspot.com]

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: January 30, 2014 11:58

Doxa
This singles topic made me think of the initial point of this thread. Namely, now think of that, usually back in the vinyl days, it was the singles that sounded best. And for that reason, and not only chasing rare b-sides or different edits, it was important to get those. There is one particular single I remember making me an everlasting impact. Namely, "Honky Tonk Women".

If the gun would be put to my head and asked to name the best sounding Rolling Stones recorded piece ever, I most likely would go with "Honky Tonk Women". Never ever have the drums sounded - and presented - so great as they do here. No ever ever have guitar sounded so damn delicious as it does here. And no ever Jagger has sounded so Jagger as he does here. The production is simply genious - for example, not having bass until the chorus is so damn effective choice. This is probably Jimmy Miller's greatest hour ever. He had the best raw material a producer ever could get, and he did more than a perfect job.

- Doxa

I agree! The sound at the end is a particular favorite.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 30, 2014 12:11

A single B-side that really sounds good in my collection is I'm Free, A-side is of course 'Get off of my cloud' which also is sounding very good...

(when we started up a garage-band -79 the first two songs we had on our list was just 'I'm Free' and for unknown reason Devo's 'Mongoloid'..., two songs with few chords I guess smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: January 30, 2014 12:17

Come On
A single B-side that really sounds good in my collection is I'm Free, A-side is of course 'Get off of my cloud' which also is sounding very good...

It's a fascinating paring. In so many ways, "I'm Free" is miles ahead of "Get Off My Cloud".

Date: January 30, 2014 12:37

I'm Free is great, but Charlie's moment of "craziness", in the middle of the track, is not so great... smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2014 12:52

"King Bee" sounds great. IMO it is more interesting to find good sounding ones in early material. "Little red Rooster".

Date: January 30, 2014 12:59

Palace Revolution 2000
"King Bee" sounds great. IMO it is more interesting to find good sounding ones in early material. "Little red Rooster".

Absolutely! Add I Need You Baby (Mona), It's All Over Now and Confessing The Blues to that list.

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: January 30, 2014 13:13

Laugh I nearly died

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: January 30, 2014 13:45

Black and Blue and Some Girls are their "best sound" LPs released in the 70s.

IORR, GHS and EOMS their worst in the same period

I am writing from and audiophile point of view; not analising songwriting level.

ABB too much compression; sounds agressive; but I love the music...

You can´t never be satisfied!

:-)

Date: January 30, 2014 13:51

marquess
Black and Blue and Some Girls are their "best sound" LPs released in the 70s.

IORR, GHS and EOMS their worst in the same period

I am writing from and audiophile point of view; not analising songwriting level.

ABB too much compression; sounds agressive; but I love the music...

You can´t never be satisfied!

:-)

Mind you, SG is my favourite album, but don't you think it's a tad too trebly?

Black And Blue and Let It Bleed are great-sounding albums. So is Tattoo You, but in a different way. BB sounds excellent as well. IORR is their sonical nadir, imo.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home