Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: OT- 'Hey Joe' history
Posted by: runaway ()
Date: November 11, 2013 20:47

One of my favorite Hey Joe cover after Jimi is Deep Purple

Date: November 11, 2013 21:08

liddas
Cool story!

Of course Jimi's version is THE definite version, but I got to say that the cover I prefer is the one by Willy de Ville of some time ago. There was something about Willy's singing that was the real thing.

C

I heard the Byrds' version from 1965 first. Still like that one the most.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 11, 2013 21:30

HMN

Date: November 11, 2013 21:31

DandelionPowderman
liddas
Cool story!

Of course Jimi's version is THE definite version, but I got to say that the cover I prefer is the one by Willy de Ville of some time ago. There was something about Willy's singing that was the real thing.

C

This one is for liddas, "another great cover"; The Byrds cover I never heard before but is a great one as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 21:40 by runaway.

Date: November 11, 2013 21:45

thumbs up

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: November 11, 2013 21:53

DandelionPowderman
liddas
Cool story!

C

A group called The Leaves had a folk rock version before the Byrds. A friend had their album. (going only by memory)

Date: November 11, 2013 22:06

Roy Buchanan 1976 Hey Joe:Foxy Lady

Re: OT: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: slew ()
Date: November 12, 2013 05:32

I am not a guitar player but to my ears no one has ever been in Jimi's class. There is Jimi and then everyone else. Like McCartney once said 4 years of pure magic and poof he was gone.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 12, 2013 09:03

He transcended everything. I could listen to him play a ten minute instrumental and feel we'd communicated on a level without words. There is no other musician of any genre that I feel that way about. Machine Gun doesn't even need lyrics.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 12, 2013 11:56

I bought the DVD and watched the documentary yesterday. In terms of content, I found it quite disappointing, because, compared to the many books and features that are already out there, it hardly adds anything of interest, apart from the fresh statement here and there, and some new footage (especially the bonus features). Regarding the plotline, it seems a bit like a revue without a certain Idea behind it - apart from feeding the myth one more time.

I certainly would've liked some more focus on Hendrix's early years and certainly on his death, on the whole maybe a little more focus on the man as such, and less on the music, as this aspect has already been covered exquisitely by sources like Charles Shaar Murray's Crosstown Traffic for example. Hendrix as a person has been covered quite lovely in Sharon Lawrence's "Hendrix - The Man The Music The Truth" (on a personal level) and Charles R. Cross' "Room Full Of Mirrors" (on a more factual level).

But it would be quite foolish, I guess, to expect such "deep" ambitions from Experience Hendrix when most of their activitiy at the moment seems to be directed at reinforcing sales of Henrix product. I reckon, business-wise things aren't going too well since Sony took over and most recent releases show that in terms of available material they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-12 12:53 by Greenblues.

Date: November 12, 2013 12:46

Greenblues
I bought the DVD and watched the documentary yesterday. In terms of content, I found it quite disappointing, because, compared to the many books and features that are already out there, it hardly addes anything of interest, apart from the fresh statement here and there, and some new footage (especially the bonus features). Regarding the plotline, it seems a bit like a revue without a certain Idea behind it - apart from feeding the myth one more time.

I certainly would've liked some more focus on Hendrix's early years and certainly on his death, on the whole maybe a little more focus on the man as such, and less on the music, as this aspect has already been covered exquisitely by sources like Charles Shaar Murray's Crosstown Traffic for example. Hendrix as a person has been covered quite lovely in Sharon Lawrence's "Hendrix - The Man The Music The Truth" (on a personal level) and Charles R. Cross' "Room Full Of Mirrors" (on a more factual level).

But it would be quite foolish, I guess, to expect such "deep" ambitions from Experience Hendrix when most of their activitiy at the moment seems to be directed at reinforcing sales of Henrix product. I reckon, business-wise things aren't going too well since Sony took over and most recent releases show that in terms of available material they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now.

the documentary seemed about the same as whats included with west coast seattle boy.

as far as the album sales the hendrix catalog and new releases are selling well. sony/experience hendrix signed a deal several years ago with the releases mapped out

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 12, 2013 16:18

I finally watched this yesterday. I thought it was very good, but the dialogue and interviews seemed in part a little sugar-coated to me...although there were some interviews and concert footage that I've never seen before which I thoroughly enjoyed. In this documentary, the women who were interviewed just thought Jimi was the sweetest thing. I don't know, maybe he was. But I've heard stories that weren't so complimentary...definitely not appropriate for PBS...but he did have a violent streak, especially under the influence of pills and alcohol. Does that need to be covered up? It was a facet of his life, and this is a biography after all. So many artists succumb to this type of thing, anyway. It's nothing new really. I think history has been a lot kinder to Jimi Hendrix than real life (ie, racism, poverty) and some of the journalism of his day. They just didn't know what to make of him. I would suggest watching his brother, Leon Hendrix's documentary...Hendrix on Hendrix...for a bit of a different perspective. It paints a somewhat different picture and shows a far more grittier side of Hendrix's life growing up and that of the music business. It also focuses more on Jimi's life growing up which I like to focus on, as well. It's an important part of history, really. Curiously, Leon wasn't mentioned in this documentary, but ths father was. Jimi and Leon were very close...thick as thieves..as they say. Supposedly, Jimi wanted Leon to be his manager when he returned to the States from England, but sadly he died. His father was an alcoholic and was rarely around although I guess you can say he tried to keep the family together. But the boys were sort of street urchins who the neighbors looked after going so far as to feeding them and washing their clothes. The mother died very young and this had a profound effect on Jimi as one would imagine. Sometimes we have to see several documentarys and read many books before we can get a true picture of an artist and his life. Heck, I still can't figure out the Rolling Stones to this day. Especially Mick Taylor...very mercurial indeed.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 12, 2013 17:57

Charles Cross never knew Jimi and numerous British and American friends of Jimi found his book riddled with erroneous information and quotes as well as huge exageration. It made me not want to read his book so I haven't.

Leon's "documentary" and book are often very inaccurate. The idea that Jimi wanted Leon to be his manager is ludicrous. Jimi did his best for Leon as a child.
He eventually was taken in by a wealthy family and they tried their best, too. Leon ended up in jail several times and eventually prison. Wikipedia stuff is less than factual.

"The Man, The Magic, the Truth" was carefully vetted by a fine lawyer representing the publisher to ensure truth and facts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 12:21 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 12, 2013 18:07

Hmmm....I never knew that about Leon. Seemed like such an honest and caring guy in the documentary, but I know there has been lots of conflict within the family over Jimi's estate, as well. Just goes to show you can't rely on one source for all of your information

Date: November 12, 2013 18:32

Leon Hendrix (born January 13, 1948) is the brother of late American rock guitarist/singer and icon Jimi Hendrix. He is an artist, songwriter and guitarist who began playing the guitar later in life and has released several albums. He is best known for his original artwork.

Hendrix suffered from drug addiction and he spent time in prison for minor offenses.[1] After seeking drug treatment, Hendrix has been clean for over twelve years and lives with his girlfriend who is a doctor in Los Angeles, California.

Hendrix was employed for many years as an expert draftsman by Boeing.

In recent years the father of six and grandfather of four has been attempting to make a living from music and art.[2] The Leon Hendrix Band released one album in 2006, Keeper of the Flame, as well as the earlier Seattle Rain.[3] Hendrix has also toured with The Magic Carpet Ride performing large venue concerts. Hendrix's wish is to keep his brother Jimi's legacy alive by dedicating his songs to Jimi when he performs.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 12, 2013 18:49

yes, that's the Wikipedia account of Jimi's brother Leon

its not surprising he tried to play and cash in on Jimi's fame..I'm sure he knew it would be seen for what it was, a calculated effort to gain from the name.

he seems to have had a bad time, then cleaned up, from the Wikipedia write-up.

and has a lot of kids..

speaking of, Jimi's children were not mentioned in that PBS documentary..

Date: November 12, 2013 19:03

duke richardson
yes, that's the Wikipedia account of Jimi's brother Leon

its not surprising he tried to play and cash in on Jimi's fame..I'm sure he knew it would be seen for what it was, a calculated effort to gain from the name.

he seems to have had a bad time, then cleaned up, from the Wikipedia write-up.

and has a lot of kids..

speaking of, Jimi's children were not mentioned in that PBS documentary..

I'm trying to figure out what's going on between Leon and his family,i think he lost a lawsuit some time ago, was this about the inheritance?

My admiration is still the same after all these years for Jimi Hendrix.

Date: November 12, 2013 19:23

Yes, little Janie really cheated Jimi's two children (whom he never knew) as well as Leon although for some time Leon went through several million bucks before that long, miserable lawsuit. The one person she never wants to talk about is her REAL father.

I've always admired PBS but the "spin" and lack of facts really disappointed me in this one. One thing I've learned in the music business is that the most high paid lawyers and publicist can get away with most anything.

Date: November 12, 2013 19:32

stonesrule
Many thanks for your informative posts and I must go buy your book.

Date: November 12, 2013 21:47

now after reading back into this thread I better understand stonesrule's characterization of Jimi as "poster boy for children raised in poverty and with little love in their lives"
and after reading of Leon Hendrix' struggles, I feel for him..what could this Janie have done to convince Al Hendrix to leave the estate to her, I would suspect Janie's mother (wife of Al) had a lot to do with it too. surely he didn't comprehend what he was agreeing to..

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: November 13, 2013 14:03

Morgan Fisher who is most known for being a member of Mott the Hoople put this speaker up for auction.
Interesting. smiling smiley

Wurlitzer
Brasshorn 21-inch auxiliary speaker

Model: Brasshorn 21-inch Auxiliary Speaker (Hendrix!!) This is a very rare, very collectible original Wurlitzer Brasshorn with stand and case.
It was designed in the 1960s as an add-on speaker/horn for Wurlitzer organs, to powerfully boost and brighten the sound over a long distance
(friendly warning: Wurlitzer advise not standing close than six feet from the Brasshorn!) It will also work fine with any sound source via
an amp with an auxiliary speaker output (an 8 ohm impedance rating is suggested but this is probably very flexible).
I saw Jimi Hendrix use a Brasshorn at The Marquee Club in 1967 - it added amazing high-midrange boost to his guitar solos, and looked very very cool!
Simply connect the Brasshorn's long (over 28 feet) cable to your amp's auxiliary speaker output (1/4-inch jack plug).
A solidly-made foot switch is installed partway along the cable, allowing you to turn the horn on and off. Real brass horns of two sizes are provided
(21-inch & 9-inch - 53 & 23cm: roughly equivalent to a trombone and a trumpet). You plug the horn into the driver,
which is then mounted at any desired angle onto a matching brass-coloured stand, adjustable in height from approx 40 inches - 75 inches (1 - 1.8m).
A very classy-looking setup which comes neatly packed in a typical brass instrument case made of solid wood with black tolex finish and thick red velvet lining
(case size is 37in x 9in x 9in - 93 x 23 x 23cm). Recently tested - works fine - no power is required so there is really nothing to go wrong.
The condition is remarkably clean and bright for all parts, with a little rust on the horns and stand.
These are excellent even as museum pieces, but can also add an amazing brightness and power to your organ, electric piano, and even, as mentioned, your guitar!

Date: November 13, 2013 17:28

'Hey Joe' history- In the Eighties I bought this " Jimi Hendrix" 10 vinyls German bootleg box with a lot of covers.
Early recordings made when Hendrix was living in New-York.

Jimi Hendrix - 10 LP Box Set (Vinyl RIP).
Rare German 10-LP vinyl box set issued during the early 1980s featuring rarities & obscure tracks.
192kbps.

LP#1, Mr. Pitful:
01-Wolly Bully
02-Left alone
03-Have mercy
04-Something you've got
05-Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yelow polka dot bikini
06-Stand by me
07-Hold on to what you got
08-Mr.Pitful

LP#2, Rock Guitar:
01-Get down
02-So called friend
03-Girl so fine
04-Every little bit hurts
05-You say you love me
06-From this day on
07-Human heart
08-All alone
09-Feel that soul
10-Miracle worker
11-A mumblin' word

LP#3, Last Night:
01-Money
02-You've got me running
03-Hang on Sloopy
04-Running slow
05-Last night
06-I've got a sweet little angel
07-You got what it takes
08-Walkin' the dog
09-Bright lights big city
10-My fault

LP#4, My Best Friend:
01-Get that feeling
02-Happy birthday
03-Hush now
04-Daytripper
06-Sleepy fate
07-My best friend
08-Oddball

LP#5, Roots Of Hendrix:
01-Wipe the sweat
02-Wipe the sweat seque 1
03-Wipe the sweat seque 2
04-Goodbye Bessie Mae
05-Two in one goes
06-All I want
07-Under the table part 1
08-Under the table part 2
09-Psycho

LP#6, Second Time Around:
01-Torture me honey
02-Mercy lady day
03-Hard night
04-Second time around
05-Got to have it

LP#7, Super Hendrix:
01-Good feeling
02-Voice in the wind
03-Suspicious
04-Go go shoes part 1
05-Gogo shoes part 2
06-Bring my baby back
07-Good times
08-Hot trigger

LP#8, Welcome Home:
01-Sugar pie honey bunch
02-Get out of my life woman
03-Ain't that peculiar
04-Welcome home
05-Not this thime
06-What'd I say
07-I'll be doggone
08-Drivin' south
09-It's not my gig

LP#9, Hush Now:
01-Hush now
02-No business
03-Ufo
04-Simon says
05-Love love
06-My heart is higher
07-Day tripper
08-Level
09-Gloomy monday

LP#10, The Genius Of Jimi Hendrix:
01-Red house
02-Sweet thang
03-Blue blues
04-Groovemaker
05-Peoples peoples
06-Fox
07-Whoa' ech
08-Gonna take a lot
09-Lime lime

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-13 23:43 by runaway.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: November 14, 2013 06:44

Very interesting thread with some interesting people commenting (stonesrule and CBIII) and some not so interesting (the anti-Hendrix commentators).

A Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix connection? Take a listen to Machine Gun and then the main riff in No Quarter. Someone was listening to and then also ripping off one of Jimi's licks. I heard No Quarter a few years back and I totally loved it and I couldn't figure out why. But it was because it was the same little part I already knew and loved. lol

I think Jimi would have loved SRV. I really think the only person who could capture some Hendrix essence was Stevie. He does some tremendous Hendrix covers that really capture the creativity. Stevie never played the same way twice either. However, Jimi was a way better songwriter and innovator. Without Jimi, there wouldn't have been SRV. Without Chuck Berry, there wouldn't have been no Jimi too! Nor Keith Richards!

Stevie's live takes on Little Wing circa 1983, are incredible. He never played it the same way twice, and he did it his own way too. It wasn't just a note for note copy, it was innovative and wild. Unpredictable playing from the heart and soul. They both played like that. Stevie did some absolutely astounding, inspiring and incredible versions of Voodoo Child(Slight Return) also. I think he even outdid Jimi on a few versions particularly SRV's final concert at Alpine Valley in 1990 as well as one from McNichols Arena in Colorado in 1989. It can give you goosebumps it's so good.

I think they wanted to have the documentary be focused on Jimi's music, not the drugs, which I personally welcome. I don't feel a need to place the two in the same category. Music was Jimi's number one drug. I don't think he was near as big of an addict as people tend to think and he would have outgrown it eventually. He had a great imagination to begin with, which you don't require drugs for. Drugs never made him a great player, his work ethic did. If Jimi were as big of a drug addict, he certainly never would have had the one thing drug addicts lack which is called ambition.

I always thought the scene with Jimi and Keith was a tense one. I am sure that Keith was still hurt by Linda doing what she did and that Jimi, like he said, shouldn't have brought her name up. Immediately Keith laughed it off, but really that wasn't a funny situation. But I am sure there is more to it than that. I am sure Jimi knew something which caused him to mention it to Keith. Jimi immediately gets straight faced after Keith walks off. Professional jealousy between them all? Jimi seems to get along naturally great with Mick Taylor though.

I love the Stones and Jimi. But when I really think about it, Jimi was stacked with talent and he was the true genius of the music business. He was Mick Jagger and Keith Richards rolled into one. I like Jimi's voice. He didn't always sing perfectly, but there are times when he would sing perfectly like on Drifting. Depended on the song.

I'm a Stones, Dylan and Hendrix fanatic, I love them all and I need to get my hands on everything they ever put out and read every book on the,. They were and still are the best sounds I have ever heard from the best generation for music when technology and talent were on an equal level. The most creative too. We'll never see musical artists like that ever again who made such impact on the world.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 14, 2013 10:28

One of my biggest influences in the seventies was the former Procol Harum guitarist Robin Trower. He was often accused of being a Hendrix epigone, but I think he had a very recognizable style of his own. There is a live album recorded in Stockholm 1975 with some increbible guitar plaing on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 10:30 by Svartmer.

Date: November 14, 2013 11:16

SanQ, Excellent post! You said it all so well. Ah yes! The Holy Trinity - Stones, Hendrix, Dylan! Re Keith, he and Jimi had no true quarrel re Linda. Giving away his Strat was somewhat annoying, however.

Another "Ah yes!" -- Robin Trower. Lovely, talented guy.

Re the "Trinity," I once asked Jimi what he thought of Stevie Wonder.
He immediately said, "What do I think? and so sweetly, he declared: "I think he's one of God's little angels."

Re Stevie, whom I am proud to say that I knew quite well. in Paris, in 1971 Jagger and I were having a serious talk, and he said: "We're going to tour next year. Who shall we have for the opening act?"

I immediately said, "Stevie Wonder, of course!" Mick's eyes opened wide and then humbly he said, "Do you think he would?..." This really touched me. Especially because Stevie had recently told me that Motown wanted him to concentrate on being a nightclub singer..."They don't care about the songs I've been writing."
(Songs that turned out to be the wonderful "Songs in the Key of Life" album.")

I said to Mick, "Of course, Stevie would like to open for the Stones! I'll call him and tell him as soon as I get back to LA." Well, Steve was thrilled out of his mind and that 1972 tour accomplished great things for Stevie's career and made him SO happy. He used to send me flowers all the time, one of the few thoughtful gestures I have ever known in my career with self-centered people.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 14, 2013 17:59

sanQ

A Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix connection? Take a listen to Machine Gun and then the main riff in No Quarter. Someone was listening to and then also ripping off one of Jimi's licks. I heard No Quarter a few years back and I totally loved it and I couldn't figure out why. But it was because it was the same little part I already knew and loved. lol

Machine Gun and No Quarter? I hear no connection whatsoever (I am not criticizing, only interested to know, since I think I know both songs almost by heart).

In any case, the phrase "rip off" should be banned from any conversation on music. There is no such thing as 100% original music, by the way.

sanQ

Stevie's live takes on Little Wing circa 1983, are incredible. He never played it the same way twice, and he did it his own way too. It wasn't just a note for note copy, it was innovative and wild. Unpredictable playing from the heart and soul. They both played like that. Stevie did some absolutely astounding, inspiring and incredible versions of Voodoo Child(Slight Return) also. I think he even outdid Jimi on a few versions particularly SRV's final concert at Alpine Valley in 1990 as well as one from McNichols Arena in Colorado in 1989. It can give you goosebumps it's so good.

I agree that SRV's little wing, in particular the studio version, was great, but I never could get used to his Voodoo Child version.

In any case god bless SRV!

C

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 14, 2013 18:08

The first 20 seconds of Voodoo Child must be one of the greatest moments in music.

Regarding Hendrix and Page, I was recently involved in some lengthy discussions among Zeppelin fans where it was eventually concluded that they'd never actually met. Do you know if that's true, stonesrule? (Jimmy did say he was always sorry he never saw Jimi live.)

Date: November 14, 2013 18:24

Aquamarine
The first 20 seconds of Voodoo Child must be one of the greatest moments in music.

Regarding Hendrix and Page, I was recently involved in some lengthy discussions among Zeppelin fans where it was eventually concluded that they'd never actually met. Do you know if that's true, stonesrule? (Jimmy did say he was always sorry he never saw Jimi live.)

The first 20 seconds of Voodoo Child must be one of the greatest moments in music

I think so too, Aqua..

the slow version on Electric Ladyland is called Voodoo Chile but I believe you're referring to 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return)'

I don't have the words for this song..it amazes me every time I listen to it. so much color and visual power in it, so musically strong, with the support of Mitchell and Redding. I was going to say its kind of like a musical exorcism, but in that meaning, that would be getting rid of or confronting a demon..

but I think Jimi was enjoying and celebrating his demon(s)

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 14, 2013 18:52

duke richardson

but I believe you're referring to 'Voodoo Child (Slight Return)'

>grinning smiley<

Date: November 26, 2013 19:56

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1695
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home