Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6
OT: Jimi Hendrix
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 6, 2013 14:11

watched the Hendrix PBS documentary last night

a fair documentary for public TV, I'd still like to see one that focuses on the music, not all the histrionics

a good bit of Linda Keith interview footage. they should have spoken with ms. stonesrule too..

trailer:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-11 23:17 by bv.

Re: OT- watched the Hendrix PBS documentary last night
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 6, 2013 14:30

WOW! Just listen to the last tones from his guitar from this trailer....never heard such since....Jimi is the man...look at Keiths face...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 6, 2013 14:35

<look at Keiths face>

Old MSG 69 clip. Jimi is just looking at Keith's Dan Armstrong smiling smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 6, 2013 14:42

DandelionPowderman
<look at Keiths face>

Looking at skeptically, I might add.smiling smiley I've got it on the DVR for tonight's viewing pleasure.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 6, 2013 14:43

It's ok, but essentially just a updated, but not as good version of the 1973 film.

Date: November 6, 2013 14:48

His Majesty
It's ok, but essentially just a updated, but not as good version of the 1973 film.

That was exactly what I was suspecting...

Date: November 6, 2013 15:33

DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

agree. I remember that film.

something I've wondered: were Hendrix' concerts documented professionally much? there doesn't seem to be a lot of complete shows with straightforward camera work and good sound, apart from the Woodstock performance..

Posted by: Bellajane ()
Date: November 6, 2013 15:45

We taped it last night. Looking forward to watching it.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 6, 2013 16:02

I watched it. I thought it was really good.

Date: November 6, 2013 16:03

crholmstrom
DandelionPowderman
<look at Keiths face>

Looking at skeptically, I might add.smiling smiley I've got it on the DVR for tonight's viewing pleasure.

There is sound in that clip as well. I think Keith is joking, and Jimi is not getting it at first, or something. Love those MSG clips!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 6, 2013 17:44

It was worth a few minutes of viewing...didn't need to be that long and reaffirms to me that SRV was better at guitar overall...

I've always liked about 11 of Jimis songs, but mostly done by other people.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: November 6, 2013 18:54

I bought the DVD version, with tons of bonus footage from the Miami Pops Festival, the New York Pop Festival, and his last appearance on September 6th, 1970 in Fehmarn, Germany. I have the 1973 film, but I want to see what they've dug up archive wise since that time.

On a comparative note I was able to get a DVD version of 25X5 from Japan at a Flea Market this weekend. I was shocked to see it pretty much starts out with the black and white footage of the crowd that goes from black and white to color, just like Crossfire.

As for Duke Richardson's comment on filmed Hendrix performances, let's face it, no one in rock and roll was getting the professional treatment at that point, especially entire concerts. And Jimi is considered a giant now, but that was in rock and roll. He was practically unknown outside youth circles. And there wasn't yet the market for entire concerts of one artist or group. The only place to make money would have been theaters, period. Woodstock had only been out a couple months before Hendrix died, and that had a cast of thousands.

I don't know the first theater release of one group in concert. Jimi at Berkley was pretty early, but Jimi was already gone.

And as for Munich Hilton saying SRV was better, okay. My ears tell me SRV was nowhere near the innovator, with nowhere near the range, but all our ears tell us different things. I always found when SRV played a Hendrix number that SRV showed he couldn't quite reach Hendrix' heights. But that's my ears.

Date: November 6, 2013 19:04

By the first 15 seconds one can tell what's the real deal and what's not.

Then again, it was on stuff like this Jimi shone the most, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-06 19:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 6, 2013 19:23

let's face it, no one in rock and roll was getting the professional treatment at that point, especially entire concerts. And Jimi is considered a giant now, but that was in rock and roll.

good point. Jazz groups' shows were filmed professionally pretty regularly. sad that a Maysles or Pennebaker or a crew like the European ones that filmed jazz artists, weren't interested in Hendrix..

Date: November 6, 2013 19:47

DandelionPowderman

There is sound in that clip as well. I think Keith is joking, and Jimi is not getting it at first, or something. Love those MSG clips!

They are shyly talking/joking about "Linda" probably meaning Linda Keith and when they last saw her.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 6, 2013 21:10

Has anybody noticed that the BBC version of Hear My Train A Commin' has different footage and running order to the one last night on PBS?

Date: November 6, 2013 21:19

Mr.D
Has anybody noticed that the BBC version of Hear My Train A Commin' has different footage and running order to the one last night on PBS?

That's the one I watched so maybe the US and full versions are better, but everything would be better if they cut out the crap and just released the Hendrix footage as is.

Date: November 6, 2013 21:44

regarding the Linda Keith - Hendrix- Keith Richards stuff..

Hendrix sure came out ahead in that episode. he got:

Linda Keith

Keith's guitar

the demo of 'Hey Joe'

and Keith was a good sport about it all

Date: November 6, 2013 21:57

The bit about the demo is most likely crap though.

Posted by: Borncrosseyed ()
Date: November 6, 2013 22:11

Date: November 7, 2013 01:02

24FPS
And as for Munich Hilton saying SRV was better, okay. My ears tell me SRV was nowhere near the innovator, with nowhere near the range, but all our ears tell us different things. I always found when SRV played a Hendrix number that SRV showed he couldn't quite reach Hendrix' heights. But that's my ears.

SRV was not as propelled by innovation as Hendrix was so his incredibly inventive technique is largely understated (see Riviera Paradise or Scuttle Buttin')...SRVs interpretations of Hendrix songs show more approach and experimentation in some cases (see Little Wing). They also showed virtually no experimentation in some cases (see Come On III)...but they always had less chaos (is that what you mean by heights?).

No winner here, I just thought SRV was better at guitar overall...wonder what Jimi would have thought of the young protege!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 7, 2013 01:24

Lots of thoughts on this -- saw it last night and need to watch it a few more times -- some things I'd not seen before, great b-roll, archival footage, stills, music, interviews current and from the past -- and a lot of rehashing, with some re-takes on history that were puzzling to me.

Where was stonesrule?

swiss

Date: November 7, 2013 03:07

Munichhilton
24FPS

SRV was not as propelled by innovation as Hendrix was so his incredibly inventive technique is largely understated (see Riviera Paradise or Scuttle Buttin')...SRVs interpretations of Hendrix songs show more approach and experimentation in some cases (see Little Wing). They also showed virtually no experimentation in some cases (see Come On III)...but they always had less chaos (is that what you mean by heights?).

No winner here, I just thought SRV was better at guitar overall...wonder what Jimi would have thought of the young protege!

i like SRVs vocals more then hendrix

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: November 7, 2013 03:15

I thought it done very well, Hearing McCartney add his input.

Date: November 7, 2013 04:38

keefriffhard4life
Munichhilton
24FPS

I was trying to keep it focused on guitar because I agree with you...That is why I like Hendrix songs by other people...that awful singing. SRV nailed Voodoo Child and Manic Depression because of the vocals and tasteful devoted guitar tribute...he clearly loved Hendrix on a level few here do...

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 7, 2013 11:02

DandelionPowderman

Something else to put in the pipe & smoke:

Date: November 7, 2013 11:09

Munichhilton
keefriffhard4life
Munichhilton
24FPS

I was trying to keep it focused on guitar because I agree with you...That is why I like Hendrix songs by other people...that awful singing. SRV nailed Voodoo Child and Manic Depression because of the vocals and tasteful devoted guitar tribute...he clearly loved Hendrix on a level few here do...

didn't hendrix originally want eric burdon to be the lead singer of the experience?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 7, 2013 14:24

duke richardson
DandelionPowderman
His Majesty

agree. I remember that film.

something I've wondered: were Hendrix' concerts documented professionally much? there doesn't seem to be a lot of complete shows with straightforward camera work and good sound, apart from the Woodstock performance..

Along with woodstock, Monterey is essential. Well filmed and an amazing performance. These 2 are the finest Jimi documents on film.

The Isle of Wight show is well filmed but the performance is very inconsistent.
I'd still say this is essential viewing, even though Jimi is clearly having a bad night.

Also worth watching....

The Band of Gypspys DVD has 70 mins of raw black and white footage from the show that "Who Knows" and "Machine Gun" were released from. Although it is only a basic 2 camera set up, the performance is so good that it really is a must see. I still think that the solo in this performance of Machine Gun is the most incredible moment in live guitar music. To see it as well as hear it is wonderful.

Atlanta 70 (yet to be released on DVD) was released on VHS and Laserdisc.
Nice footage and a fairly decent show. Unofficial DVD rips do circulate and are well worth tracking down.

The Berkeley DVD is a big disappointment.
Great performance, terribly edited with lots of non concert footage chucked in too. Such as shame this wasn't filmed properly, these 2 shows have some incredible moments.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 7, 2013 14:28

A few truths.

"That awful singing" didn't seem to bother JH audiences. He was unlike anyone they had seen before and they loved him.

Eric Burdon worshiped Jimi just the way he was. There was no serious conversation about him being the lead singer.

I am not the sort of person who would want to participate in anything that has to do with Janie Hendrix and her gang.

A lot of inaccuracies in this "tribute" designed to sell the latest release.

Paul McCartney always treated Jimi with great respect and his words in this were very real. Several other music "greats" declined to participate for all the right reasons. Although Linda Keith only knew Jimi for a brief period in 1966 she was instrumental in helping him be heard and is a fine person. Fayne was a good friend to him and expressed her memories very well. Ellen McIlwaine could have added more insight, as she knew Jimi well and he admired her guitar playing. But for the producers of the show, she was just a quick soundbite.

I found the brief words about the mother that Jimi adored very tacky. Janie's usual bullshit "memories" of the few hours she was ever around him. The references to his father's "great record collection" were fabricated. Jimi knew little of Elmore James, Howling Wolf etc when he was in Seattle.

Thought Eddie Kramer came off better than he deserved to. Jimi wished to change engineers in that last miserable year of his life and to get loose of that creep Mike Jeffery. All he represented to many of the hustlers was $$$. That includes his father, the weird starstruck wife etc.

I didn't think the "documentary" was terrible...quite watchable.. but it was only half of the true story.

The facts of his unexpected death were poorly handled and incorrect.

Date: November 7, 2013 14:37

crholmstrom
DandelionPowderman

Something else to put in the pipe & smoke:

One more...

Goto Page: 123456Next
Current Page: 1 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1957
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home