Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Wouldn't it be great if the Stones released concerts like Bruce has started doing?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 30, 2014 22:35

sweet neo con
Would only make sense if setlists were significantly different from show to show...IMO.

Only really an issue if you werent at the show and are just viewing it from a collector's viewpoint.

The Who did it and their setlists - apart from the times when theyve gone and toured with Quadrophenia as they did recently - have barely changed in decades.

Its a terrific concept for people who go to the shows and want to re-live it again. I guess a lot of how feasible it is depends on the artist's self-belief in allowing their shows to be circulated freely so soon afterwards with no time for any doctoring or editing.

Its a great deal, it has to be said. A 17-date tour available in lossless soundboard quality for about £160. Or about £110 if you prefer the mp3 versions.

Re: Wouldn't it be great if the Stones released concerts like Bruce has started doing?
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 31, 2014 16:55

Wouldn't it be great if the Stones released concerts like... Slash and others were doing long ago?

HECK YES!!! Being able to go home and re-see and/or re-hear the show
you just saw would be awesome, it would extend the live concert experience.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 31, 2014 16:59

I recall pearl jam doing this on CD ages ago

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: January 31, 2014 17:25

Facts be known, I was/am DELIGHTED that the Stones have dropped worrying about people recording with cameras on this last go round... that was/is very nice of them. A lot of bands are still too uptight to let people bring in cameras and record their shows (looking and wondering about you Tom Petty)

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 31, 2014 17:29

No, not at this time anymore.

Posted by: TheBadRabbit ()
Date: January 31, 2014 17:46

Why, what is Bruce doing?

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 31, 2014 19:09

Heard of it, too, great thing. It would be a dream, if the Stones would make up their minds to do the same ...

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: January 31, 2014 19:16

John Fogerty, Govt. Mule, Black Crowes do it in various formats and the quality is excellent. No doctoring, no overdubs (unlike Sweet Summer Sun).

Date: February 1, 2014 03:13

treaclefingers

they still do.

Shows are available as cd or download, and in both flac and mp3 formats

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-01 03:13 by Gazza.

Date: February 1, 2014 03:18

TheBadRabbit
Why, what is Bruce doing?

Soundboards of the shows on the tour which opened in Cape Town last weekend are officially available online for download about 3-4 days after the gig takes place.

[www.store2.livenation.com]

Cost is $10 for an mp3 recording or $15 for a lossless (flac) recording.

Only the first of the three Cape Town shows is available so far. At three hours plus per show and 57 different songs played over the three nights, its a pretty attractive offer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-01 03:19 by Gazza.

Posted by: TDive25 ()
Date: February 1, 2014 03:40

would be great if they'd release it with video. with all these cameras around, it should be possible, but not easy to guarantee the quality they'd want it to be.
and they wouldn't like the occasional trainwreck to be released, I guess...

Date: February 1, 2014 04:47

As far as I recall, The Who ended up doing DVD as well as CD in their 'Encore Concert Series' releases about six or seven years ago (it had previously been CD only)

Its absolutely doable. I dont know the turnaround for other acts, but in Pearl Jam and The Who's cases, the physical CD releases were usually available about 4-6 weeks afterwards as far as I recall. I'm sure The Who - like the Stones - have had a few off-nights down the years by their standards.

The audio recordings from Pearl Jam's current tour are even on Spotify.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-01 04:48 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: February 1, 2014 07:43

When we saw the 'Frantic Four' Status Quo reunion at Hammersmith last year..it was great to be able to walk out of the door with a double cd pf the show...It was that quick!...It's a no-brainer way of satisfying the fans and generating a bit more dosh for the pension fund!
Most fans who shell out for the CD..aren't going to be that critical of the odd cock up,,,and as the shows end up on torrent sites within a few hours anyway what does it matter in the long run..

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 1, 2014 07:50

Gazza
As far as I recall, The Who ended up doing DVD as well as CD in their 'Encore Concert Series' releases about six or seven years ago (it had previously been CD only)

Its absolutely doable. I dont know the turnaround for other acts, but in Pearl Jam and The Who's cases, the physical CD releases were usually available about 4-6 weeks afterwards as far as I recall. I'm sure The Who - like the Stones - have had a few off-nights down the years by their standards.

The audio recordings from Pearl Jam's current tour are even on Spotify.

Yes, they did, for the 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2007 concerts. Some of those CD's are still available, and they released a special Road Case Series, consisting of a special package with all the 2004 CD's.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: February 1, 2014 08:09

Gazza
As far as I recall, The Who ended up doing DVD as well as CD in their 'Encore Concert Series' releases about six or seven years ago

I have a DVD and CD from the show I attended in 2006. If they had been available, I would have made the same purchase for the Stones show I saw last year. If they chose, they could really rake in a good deal of extra cash on top of ticket prices. People like concert souvenirs, that's why they buy T-shirts at shows.

But judging from the Hyde Park CD/DVD package, Mick still seems to favor the traditional live album release with studio overdubs.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 1, 2014 09:12

As far as I remember they wanted to do this on A Bigger Bang tour, I think they even announced it before the tour but never did this. I think the problem is in the fact that they don't have the rights to their own material from 1963-1969, every time they want to put an old song on a live album they have to pay ABKCO, so if they wanted to release every show from this tour that would probably cost them more money than they would earn.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 1, 2014 17:07

Well, I'm collecting (Stones) Bootlegs,etc for ca. 40 years.Most of the Bigger Bang boots were that bad I finally stopped by then . .

But it could be nice for people who were at the show and perhaps if there is more input from Mick Taylor.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 1, 2014 18:04

stonehearted
Mick still seems to favor the traditional live album release with studio overdubs.

Mick hates taking risks, we all know that by now! grinning smiley
A "straight-from-the-board" release is a "no no" in his book, and that's pretty logical coming from a band which doctored ALL their live releases since 1970.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 1, 2014 20:14

>>Wouldn't it be great if the Stones released concerts like Bruce has started doing? new>>

Absolutely not

Here's an example: I have just watched a "youtube recording" which was a part of a DIME torrent, a recording from Chicago 2013. Great quality, both audio and video, all was filmed from several angles

One person called that "Gimme Shelter" the best GS of the last tour
And maybe he was right? In either case, that's the most pathetic Gimme Shelter I have ever heard. The "licks" (could one call that "licks" ? ) by Keith is the most annoying notes one could imagine

Of course Ronnie's dead-on-chord at about 1 minute *should* be taking the cake, but that is such an obvious stupid mistake and actually is no contender to the incredible lacklusture guitar department during the rest of the song (and show)

Here is the video:

This band is lucky to have busy idiots buying tickets, but they would be pushing it too far if they think they start selling recordings of the shows, afterwards. They should have done that in the 60s, 70s and 80s......but of course there were no internet at that time

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-01 20:20 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: blivet ()
Date: February 2, 2014 00:17

dcba
stonehearted
Mick still seems to favor the traditional live album release with studio overdubs.

Mick hates taking risks, we all know that by now! grinning smiley
A "straight-from-the-board" release is a "no no" in his book, and that's pretty logical coming from a band which doctored ALL their live releases since 1970.

Did they tidy up Brussels Affair too?

Date: February 2, 2014 00:33

franzk
As far as I remember they wanted to do this on A Bigger Bang tour, I think they even announced it before the tour but never did this. I think the problem is in the fact that they don't have the rights to their own material from 1963-1969, every time they want to put an old song on a live album they have to pay ABKCO, so if they wanted to release every show from this tour that would probably cost them more money than they would earn.

The 2005-07 tour grossed $570 million in ticket sales alone. I think its pretty safe to say they wouldnt have lost money.

Even more so if even 1% of the 7 million people who attended the shows bought a download where the overheads per sale cost a matter of cents.

The Stones DO make money on ABKCO era releases as well as live versions of the songs from that era. It obviously hasnt been a problem as theyve released several live albums since 2006 (and indeed, throughout their career) containing versions of pre-1971 songs. Theyve authorised quite a few compilations covering material from that era too.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-02-02 01:05 by Gazza.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 2, 2014 01:16

Gazza
franzk

The 2005-07 tour grossed $570 million in ticket sales alone. I think its pretty safe to say they wouldnt have lost money.

Even more so if even 1% of the 7 million people who attended the shows bought a download where the overheads per sale cost a matter of cents.

The Stones DO make money on ABKCO era releases as well as live versions of the songs from that era. It obviously hasnt been a problem as theyve released several live albums since 2006 (and indeed, throughout their career) containing versions of pre-1971 songs. Theyve authorised quite a few compilations covering material from that era too.

It doesn't matter - Money is not the issue ....Heavens Wall settles any money issues.

Posted by: Keef1966 ()
Date: February 2, 2014 02:05

Max'sKansasCity
Wouldn't it be great if the Stones released concerts like... Slash and others were doing long ago?

It's to the point now that it's impossible to stop people from taking pics, or vids. I mean with cell phones and all. You tell people you can't take a cell phone into a show and you probably would lose a huge audience. Alot of people I know couldn't go 5 minutes without being on that damn thing. (Personally I hate the things). Remember when Axl started a riot when he saw someone filming one of the Guns shows? What does he do now when someone whips out a cell phone? Stop the concert?
The Stones might as well sell downloads to each concert right after the show. Just sell them cheap though... $5. Like the good 'ol bootleg days. You get the fanatics and also more likely the casual fan would buy it if it was available 30 minutes after the show is over.

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: February 2, 2014 04:49

Gazza
treaclefingers

they still do.

Shows are available as cd or download, and in both flac and mp3 formats

Yeah, every show/tour since the 2000 tour have been released as official bootlegs. With the exception of a 12 show European tour in '07. Not sure why, but they kept those shelved.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 2, 2014 08:01

Keef1966
Max'sKansasCity

It's to the point now that it's impossible to stop people from taking pics, or vids. I mean with cell phones and all. You tell people you can't take a cell phone into a show and you probably would lose a huge audience. Alot of people I know couldn't go 5 minutes without being on that damn thing. (Personally I hate the things). Remember when Axl started a riot when he saw someone filming one of the Guns shows? What does he do now when someone whips out a cell phone? Stop the concert?
The Stones might as well sell downloads to each concert right after the show. Just sell them cheap though... $5. Like the good 'ol bootleg days. You get the fanatics and also more likely the casual fan would buy it if it was available 30 minutes after the show is over.

They should give you a code to download the concert for free if you bought a ticket, and I agree, otherwise sell it for a reasonable price. Certainly no need to put out a CD for it...cheaper and faster.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 2, 2014 08:14

Don't think it'd work ... Fans wouldn't fall for Mick performing Born In USA

ROCKMAN

Date: February 2, 2014 12:39

Does anybody really feel like we are getting slighted in the way of info on the shows? W/o really putting your mind to it you can p.u. footage live, as the show is running. (only on phone quality). But ...how many days is it until the boot w/ artwork surfaces? And today's boots are very hi quality/ How much better do you really need it?
And like many others have said: who really wants all the shows of today's Stones?

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: February 2, 2014 13:18

Erik_Snow
>>Wouldn't it be great if the Stones released concerts like Bruce has started doing? new>>

Absolutely not

Here's an example: I have just watched a "youtube recording" which was a part of a DIME torrent, a recording from Chicago 2013. Great quality, both audio and video, all was filmed from several angles

And maybe he was right? In either case, that's the most pathetic Gimme Shelter I have ever heard. The "licks" (could one call that "licks" ? ) by Keith is the most annoying notes one could imagine

Of course Ronnie's dead-on-chord at about 1 minute *should* be taking the cake, but that is such an obvious stupid mistake and actually is no contender to the incredible lacklusture guitar department during the rest of the song (and show)

Here is the video:

This band is lucky to have busy idiots buying tickets, but they would be pushing it too far if they think they start selling recordings of the shows, afterwards. They should have done that in the 60s, 70s and 80s......but of course there were no internet at that time

The "licks" (could one call that "licks" ? ) by Keith is the most annoying notes one could imagine

Rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals...

Date: February 2, 2014 13:51

Dreamer
Erik_Snow

Absolutely not

Agree w/ Erik that this is pretty bad. The "solo" especially, where the problem really is the notes. This is not 'good' weaving, where two guitars are bending and feeding off each other; this is an annoying mismatch of clunkers. But what is worse IMo throughout the whole song is how out of sync they sound. Charlie and Keith are not hitting together. By now they have figured it out how to work it w/ the monitor mix; this delay that comes w/ performing on the huge stadium stages. It has to be a major drag that as a band it becomes almost impossible to achieve a tight core unit, just because of the physics of such wide space. This might contribute to these slower tempos. Still - this is a very sloppy performance.
I myself am really over the whole middle spot of the female singer, going into the 3rd verse.

Here is the video:

The "licks" (could one call that "licks" ? ) by Keith is the most annoying notes one could imagine

Rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 3, 2014 01:52

It took us (fans) years to get Bruce to do this. He's so behind its almost not even worth it for him to start now, but I'm still very happy he is. Recordings are getting better with each gig, and the sheer surprise of never thinking he'd actually end up coming around to it makes it exciting. He's the exact type of artist this technology calls for. He should have been doing it since 2003, so its sad to think he's missed out on like 10 prime years.

It wouldn't be nearly as exciting if the Stones did it. Its a nice momento and I'd certainly enjoy it, but they play largely the same sets and their shows are based off essentially doing the same thing every night. Obviously the super fans will want it, but largely the logic for it just isn't there like it is with Pearl Jam, Phish, Springsteen, etc. Also, knowing the Stones, they'd probably charge a fortune for it when it should be dirt cheap.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home