Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: DARRYLL JONES: "The Stones are true professionals"
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 11, 2013 02:07

lem motlow
playing the 2 video clips back to back i'm suprised the live licks version held up as good as it did-

and people wonder why i always defend bill wyman

smileys with beer I know Lem. Dylan, you, and I, must be the only ones cursed with ears that prefer Wyman. It's sad.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: December 11, 2013 08:00

DARRYLL is a true professional. Go D.

Date: December 11, 2013 10:34

24FPS
lem motlow
playing the 2 video clips back to back i'm suprised the live licks version held up as good as it did-

and people wonder why i always defend bill wyman

smileys with beer I know Lem. Dylan, you, and I, must be the only ones cursed with ears that prefer Wyman. It's sad.

Well, I've been saying the same this here since 1997, and I know lots of IORRians who agree whole-heartedly grinning smiley

The difference may be that most fans have come to terms with Darryl as a part of the package. And let's face it: He's not THAT bad, even though he doesn't have that 50s swing in him at all.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 11, 2013 16:14

And I must be one of the very few that loves every single note Bill has played with the Stones, studio and live, his musical attitude, his timing, everything, AND loves Darryl's contribution as well.

At the end, as always, its just a matter of taste.

It's a fact that with Darryl the Stones are a different band. And Darryl himself has walked a long way since 1995.

But no one can say that one is "better" of the other, because it just isn't true. They are both huge musicians. And their contribution equally fitting and functional to the music.

Of course, what makes Bill special, is that he was there when the band was writing history. So the version of reference, is normally his version. But that's it.

I suggest that many should clean their ears and give a good listen to Darryl's work with the Stones before writing complete nonsense here. By chance Street Fighting Man Zurich 2003 (last show of the tour, I was there) popped out of the shuffle. The bass is quite high in the mix, is that what people call "cold professional contribution"?

My ass!

C

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 11, 2013 17:26

Bollocks! The Rolling Stones were a better band with Bill as a bassplayer. More true to their roots. Darryl is a professional musician but rock and roll is not his cup of tea. Simple as that.

Date: December 11, 2013 17:44

Stoneage
Bollocks! The Rolling Stones were a better band with Bill as a bassplayer. More true to their roots. Darryl is a professional musician but rock and roll is not his cup of tea. Simple as that.

Based on what?

C

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 11, 2013 17:57

liddas
Stoneage

Based on what?

C

My ears!

Date: December 11, 2013 17:58

Stoneage
liddas
Stoneage

Based on what?

C

My ears!

Ha OK, I was starting to worry!

C

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 11, 2013 19:05

I love that posting 'Darryl is a true professional' is supposed to be a good thing. I'm sure the musicians who have surrounded the Who since Moon, and then Entwistle died, are 'true professionals'. But no one has ever claimed that any of them are better than the originals, or that they added to the music.

Can anyone name the drummer(s) who have replaced Al Jackson Jr. in Booker T and the MGs? No one would say that whoever they were that they added anything. They might even be 'true professionals'. Mick Jagger even tried to replace the Stones on his ill fated solo tour with 'true professionals'.

I guess I'm just angry that they fumbled the reunion with Wyman. He's alive and playing well and they just won't take advantage of it and get back into the studio with him. Hell, they might not ever get back in the studio again, even with their 'true professional' bass player. Bill, once again, is probably right, and you can't go home again. I just hope to go they taped those rehearsals with Bill in 2011 and that they someday see the light of day.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 11, 2013 20:51

Can anyone name the drummer(s) who have replaced Al Jackson Jr. in Booker T and the MGs

Willie Hall

Steve Jordan played with them too..

but you're right ...no Al Jackson Jr..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-11 21:09 by duke richardson.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2076
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home