Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Parachute Woman
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 21, 2013 18:52

drewmaster
Okay, now we’re cooking with gas!! And man, ain’t Parachute Woman just 2 minutes and 21 seconds of sonic perfection?!! Those electric and acoustic guitars, weaving together like they are telepathically connected. Charlie and Bill’s swingin’ rhythm section, locked perfectly in sync. Those wonderful notes from Brian’s harp providing the depth and color that he was such a genius at. Mick’s vocals and lyrics, lecherous yes but also so wonderfully abstract and enigmatic. Jimmy Miller’s production, so crisp and pure. And the crowning touch … Mick’s harp at the end. That first, sustained train-whistle of a note from his harp is just so glorious and lonesome and exciting and heartbreaking and riveting. And then it yields, the rest of his solo being no less brilliant, exorcising the demons from his soul and from ours …

The blues at its finest, from what is arguably the Stones’ most perfect LP …

Drew

Couldn't agree more; what an incredible track. Never fails to amaze me every time I hear it, the same thrilling sound no matter how many spins throughout the years

The whole album methinks is sonic perfection; so many wonderful tracks. Add the non album single 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' and you have the Stones' at a considerable artistic peak. The fact is continued for 3 more truly classic albums arguably as one critic noted gave them "the greatest winning streak in rock history"

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 21, 2013 19:18

treaclefingers
His Majesty
treaclefingers
this is a song outside of IORR-world almost no one has heard of.

That is crackpipe in bold. winking smiley

sorry, are you trying to make my case for me?

No, highlight your daftness.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 21, 2013 20:26

His Majesty
treaclefingers
His Majesty
treaclefingers
this is a song outside of IORR-world almost no one has heard of.

That is crackpipe in bold. winking smiley

sorry, are you trying to make my case for me?

No, highlight your daftness.

Well, clever you being able to do to things at the same time! smileys with beer

Were you chewing gum as well by any chance? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: October 21, 2013 20:42

treaclefingers

Were you chewing gum as well by any chance? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

grinning smiley

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 21, 2013 20:43

This early track from Neil Young kind of reminds me of Parachute Woman. Besides the obvious titular similarity (LOL), they are musical cousins as well, even right down to the harp.

Drew

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 21, 2013 20:55

Pretty similar riff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-21 20:55 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: October 21, 2013 22:31

DandelionPowderman
10:19 - Parachute Woman live in 2002:

Thanks for this DP, and the Rock and Roll Circus version, which I did know about, but had obviously forgotten in my hasty posting this morning.

How cool would it be to hear it live next year...

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:16

Silver Dagger
Pretty similar riff.

Not really , thats more a typical imo overrated boogie riff.

PW is something else.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:18

drewmaster
This early track from Neil Young kind of reminds me of Parachute Woman. Besides the obvious titular similarity (LOL), they are musical cousins as well, even right down to the harp.

Drew

yeah 1965. Pretty close but still different. The harmonica is similar too though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 00:19 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: October 22, 2013 00:55

His Majesty
treaclefingers

grinning smiley

nice gums!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 22, 2013 01:08

The guitar on that Neil Young recording is very, very similar to this rendition of Mojo Hand by the legendary Lightnin' Hopkins :-

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:01

DandelionPowderman

In the Rock n Roll Circus version, I hear everything clearly--Bill's bass (almost distorting), even the percussion--but no Brian, and he's "playing" a larger sized guitar than Keith, but Keith's is the only guitar I can hear. Were they turning him down for the set, even though he did well on No Expectations from the clip I remember seeing? Bill is even on camera in this track (Parachute Woman) more than Brian. At one point, as the clip heads to the 1:20 mark, Brian is excluded from the camera stage angle altogether and it's just a view of Mick, Bill, Keith, Charlie, and the percussionist. It isn't 1965 anymore in this clip, is it?

Date: October 22, 2013 11:03

Seemingly, they turned him down (or sometimes off) on the songs he didn't play on the album...

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:17

Redhotcarpet
Silver Dagger
Pretty similar riff.

Not really , thats more a typical imo overrated boogie riff.

PW is something else.

I am reminded of similarities also, though of course The Stones were first with parachute woman. After Jim does his scat lines and Robbie's guitar chords come crunching back in to lead the song back to the main verses, the guitar sound is similar as in Parachute Woman after the 1:00 mark when Mick stops singing and Keith is chord crunching for a bit.

The Doors emulated some of their blues chops from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band (the opening riff of Break On Through is just a variation of Shake Your Money Maker), so I'm wondering if there might be an earlier PB Blues Band track where likewise The Stones might be modeling the basic groove of Parachute Woman from--you know they're getting their licks from somewhere....

....Come to think of it, doesn't Ry Cooder enter the Stones' story around the time of Beggars Banquet, with the start of "roots rock"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 11:43 by stonehearted.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 22, 2013 11:48

It's to lay a solid rhythm down, not "a solo rhythm"

But yep, it's an inimitable piece of forever.
Beggars was the first Stones album I bought with my own money,
and this track and Stray Cat Blues were the main reasons.
I mean just listen to the sound of that!

I love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: howled ()
Date: October 22, 2013 12:00

Parachute Woman is a bit unusual in that Mick starts singing over the IV chord of a blues structured song.

That means that if the song is in the key of E, then Mick starts singing on the A chord (the second chord) and not on the previous E chord (first chord), whereas in the caee of a lot of blues songs the singing would begin on the E chord (first chord).

E A E A E B A E.

A lot of blues songs have the singer starting on the I chord of a blues structured song as in the Neil Young example.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 12:16 by howled.

Date: October 22, 2013 12:03

<It's to lay a solid rhythm down, not "a solo rhythm">

For Mick Taylor, it is winking smiley

Date: October 22, 2013 13:43

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

In the Rock n Roll Circus version, I hear everything clearly--Bill's bass (almost distorting), even the percussion--but no Brian, and he's "playing" a larger sized guitar than Keith, but Keith's is the only guitar I can hear. Were they turning him down for the set, even though he did well on No Expectations from the clip I remember seeing? Bill is even on camera in this track (Parachute Woman) more than Brian. At one point, as the clip heads to the 1:20 mark, Brian is excluded from the camera stage angle altogether and it's just a view of Mick, Bill, Keith, Charlie, and the percussionist. It isn't 1965 anymore in this clip, is it?

Larger size guitar? They are both playing les pauls.

He's playing basic chuck berry rhythm, audible if you listen closely, even more audible on outtake version.

Date: October 22, 2013 13:45

stonehearted

....Come to think of it, doesn't Ry Cooder enter the Stones' story around the time of Beggars Banquet, with the start of "roots rock"?

No, he enters the story after Beggars Banquet is completed.

Date: October 22, 2013 14:14

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

Jimmy Miller said

"When he would show up at a session—let's say he had just bought a sitar that day, he'd feel like playing it, so he'd look in his calendar to see if the Stones were in. Now he may have missed the previous four sessions. We'd be doing let's say, a blues thing. He'd walk in with a sitar, which was totally irrelevant to what we were doing, and want to play it. I used to try to accommodate him. I would isolate him, put him in a booth and not record him onto any track that we really needed. And the others, particularly Mick and Keith, would often say to me, 'Just tell him to piss off and get the hell out of here."

I think Jimmy Miller worked on the Rock and Roll Circus as well.

btw, it doesn't matter how large the guitar is, it's more like the amplifier watts and settings.

The band instruments can get turned down (or turned up) at the mixing desk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-22 14:16 by howled.

Date: October 22, 2013 14:21

The two outtakes show Brian was audible at the time, in the venue, but aside from No Expectations and maracas on Sympathy he's been mixed down lower on the other tracks for the official release.

Given that his playing on Parachute Woman is fine, mixing him low afterwards seems to be an odd thing to do as it makes the band look and sound odd.

Posted by: Christian ()
Date: October 22, 2013 14:25

what does he scream between the 2d and the 3d verse?

Is it "Damn" ?

It's "I'll make my play (or my bread) in Dallas" not "my blow"

Date: October 22, 2013 14:29

His Majesty
The two outtakes show Brian was audible at the time, in the venue, but aside from No Expectations and maracas on Sympathy he's been mixed down lower on the other tracks for the official release.

Given that his playing on Parachute Woman is fine, mixing him low afterwards seems to be an odd thing to do as it makes the band look and sound odd.

Very odd.

Date: October 22, 2013 14:33

howled

Very odd.

Just a notch or two up on his guitar level and things would have been more equally balanced.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: October 22, 2013 14:59

Christian

Is it "Damn" ?

It sounds like "Dave!", possibly referring to Dave Mason of Traffic (who was hanging around and guesting on some tracks during the Beggars recording sessions), but there is no record of him playing on PW.

Drew

Date: October 22, 2013 14:59

Is he THAT audible in the outtakes?

Date: October 22, 2013 15:16

DandelionPowderman
Is he THAT audible in the outtakes?

A touch louder and his guitar doesn't have that distant vibe about them like it does on the official R&R Circus Parachute Woman.

It stills gets eaten up by the bass on YCAGWYW though, but his part on that seems like something just given to him or quickly thought up by himself inorder to have something to play.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 22, 2013 15:32

Christian

Is it "Damn" ?

I always thought it was "dive". A play on skydiving and muffdiving! >grinning smiley<

Date: October 22, 2013 15:35

Silver Dagger
Christian

Is it "Damn" ?

I always thought it was "dive". A play on skydiving and muffdiving! >grinning smiley<

thumbs up

Date: October 22, 2013 15:41

Must be "dive", surely? On the album it sounds like "die" grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2658
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home