Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Total number of Stones songs written?
Posted by: three16 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:57

Does anybody have a count on how many songs they've written throughout their career including the out-takes or unreleased tunes? Even the rough ones - not finished. I'm hoping someone here has a good idea already. I realize this can only be as accurate as a estimation.

Re: Total number of Stones songs written?
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 10:51

About 300?

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:17

300? i think they released mor than that.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:23

Only the written songs count!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 15, 2013 11:31

About 300 sounds right to me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2013 14:25

More than that sounds right to me -
a lot more, even, if you're counting unreleased/unrecorded ones.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 15, 2013 14:28

Only count released songs on Vinyl or CD...How many then?
...and mind that I wanna be your man is not Stones

2 1 2 0

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2013 14:39

Come On

According to [www.timeisonourside.com] , the total number of songs released is 382;
now all you need to do is go through that list and subtract the covers. Have fun! tongue sticking out smiley

Date: November 15, 2013 14:43

Those are only the released songs, though smiling smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 15, 2013 14:50

with sssoul
Come On

According to [www.timeisonourside.com] , the total number of songs released is 382;
now all you need to do is go through that list and subtract the covers. Have fun! tongue sticking out smiley

Talking discographys...have a quick look at this:
[www.billieholiday.be]
Best on the market...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 15, 2013 14:59

three16
Does anybody have a count on how many songs they've written throughout their career including the out-takes or unreleased tunes? Even the rough ones - not finished. I'm hoping someone here has a good idea already. I realize this can only be as accurate as a estimation.

Theres no way you could possibly count that if youre including unfinished songs. Some of which may never have even been recorded.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: November 15, 2013 17:14

Gazza
three16

Theres no way you could possibly count that if youre including unfinished songs. Some of which may never have even been recorded.

Criss Cross Mind, etc... I feel the same way. So many great 'songs' that were definitely written and never released. Or unreleased until the Some Girls/Exile/whatever-is-next re-releases.

Date: November 15, 2013 21:31

flacnvinyl
Gazza
three16

Criss Cross Mind, etc... I feel the same way. So many great 'songs' that were definitely written and never released. Or unreleased until the Some Girls/Exile/whatever-is-next re-releases.

I was hoping to include and refer to all the outtake songs we know of from bootlegs. Even if Mick is just skatin' the vocals for melody. That's what I mean by unfinished. The ruff idea is recorded and basically in rough arrangements but can be included.

So official released songs the band wrote as well as these. With everything documented I think we'll find well over 400 songs.

I would like these stats to compare with other creative bands over their careers.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 15, 2013 22:12

three16
flacnvinyl
Gazza
three16

I was hoping to include and refer to all the outtake songs we know of from bootlegs. Even if Mick is just skatin' the vocals for melody. That's what I mean by unfinished. The ruff idea is recorded and basically in rough arrangements but can be included.

So official released songs the band wrote as well as these. With everything documented I think we'll find well over 400 songs.

I would like these stats to compare with other creative bands over their careers.

With all the songs Keith has had ready the last many years, there must be way over 1.000 - looking forward to the MegaBox set they are going to release wtihin too long.smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 15, 2013 22:19

The Stones didn't do a lot /as many (of) really long songs like some other bands did. There's such a difference in how they work compared to, I dunno, Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath. What the Stones did for SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE alone is worth what, if they were all finished, 8 albums? Mick and Keith's prolificity was crazy at times. Perhaps their least proficient albums were GHS and IORR in terms of what they had extra in comparison to STICKY FINGERS, BLACK AND BLUE and the above mentioned two.

Of course, take into account their duration, even with WW3 going on with DIRTY WORK they still recorded a lot. What they did for VOODOO and left behind is possibly another album, Make It Now, You Got It Made, Get It Made, Anything For You, It's Funny, Hold On You, Honest Man and whatever else I can't remember or don't have.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:39

Someone needs to post that clip of Charlie saying "thousands"

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: November 16, 2013 02:47

Send It To me

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: November 16, 2013 03:35

stones have released 301 songs(closest estimate based on several sources) of their own written songs, this includes those from metamorphosis and the recent albums of outtakes from exile and some girls.

those that have been released as a written stones song and played live at least once total approx 220.

by strange coincidence they have played 300 different songs in concert, but that includes cover versions which there are many(approx 80).

they have released a total of around 384 songs including covers, and if you add in the covers they did in concert but didnt release this figure may exceed 450 different songs.

its all a bit complicated locating each song in a catagory as to whether its stones written or a cover, released or never released, or studio or live would probably need a degree in aeronautics, mathematics, legal studies and patience all in one.

factor in songs which they may have done live but we dont know about and all other outtakes not officially released aswell as the outtakes we dont know about we could be talking of another couple of hundred songs or more.

love it if the complete vaults of everything ever recorded by the stones was opened, if only someone had the key.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: November 16, 2013 03:50

Godxofxrock9
Send It To me

Awesome, thank you!

Date: November 16, 2013 04:30

three16
flacnvinyl
Gazza
three16

But thats songs 'recorded' - not 'written'. Theres potentially a limitless number of songs that would have been written, maybe worked on in a home studio and then discarded before anyone else in the band even heard them, let alone worked on them. And when you factor that in, where do you draw the line between something that was written for 'The Rolling Stones' or for something else.

To answer your other question - I would doubt its as many as Dylan, McCartney, Springsteen, Young, Prince and several others, many of whom started later than the Stones did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 04:32 by Gazza.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: November 16, 2013 14:43

I'm curious, three16, as to why you want to compare the Stones output to "other creative bands over their careers."

Gazza, the artists you listed, Dylan, McCartney, Springsteen, etc...,they generally write alone, don't they?

I've never liked comparing artistic output. Creative people, musicians, painters, writers..., all have their own way of working and sometimes life or personal demons, gets in the way. And sometimes, yeah, maybe they are just lazy, like the rest of us.

Besides, it's the quality, not the quantity that counts, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-16 14:50 by latebloomer.

Date: November 17, 2013 01:15

latebloomer
I'm curious, three16, as to why you want to compare the Stones output to "other creative bands over their careers."

If I wasn't a Stones fan but still analyzed their creativity I would still be astonished by their extremely high volume of productivity... compared to others.

Quantity does matter indeed. It's their quantity that ultimately produces the quality of released material we are familiar with. I think many agree even their least liked albums are many times better than many others best work.

I don't want to compare them to others except when it comes work ethics and overall ideas. They have given us all a tremendous amount of material over the years.

They stand alone I think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-17 01:17 by three16.

Date: November 17, 2013 03:58

latebloomer

Gazza, the artists you listed, Dylan, McCartney, Springsteen, etc...,they generally write alone, don't they?

I've never liked comparing artistic output. Creative people, musicians, painters, writers..., all have their own way of working and sometimes life or personal demons, gets in the way. And sometimes, yeah, maybe they are just lazy, like the rest of us.

In each case, for much of their career at least and in some cases, all.

The Stones have two (sometimes three) songwriters, so it makes the gap even more pronounced.

Your comments about quality over quantity and people having different ways of working are spot-on.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1739
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home