Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac with Chirstine McVie!
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 27, 2013 20:21

My acquaintence who is connected with all things Glastonbury has assured me they are booked for 2014. That's the positive, the negative is, he tells me that ! million people have already registered for next year's festival and with the day rapidly approaching when they go on sale, I expect that it will sell out in record time (I think last year was about 90 minutes) with a lot of very disappointed people. For the first time in many many years I am not going to be going despite having a guaranteed ticket....it's going to be hard to have to sit at home and watch it on the box!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 27, 2013 21:49

For reasons of authenticity-smacks of Bill Wyman all over again.

Younger members of the audience reaction is likely to be "Oh yeah, that's someone who used to be in the band....." Older ones will whoop and clap like idiots.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: September 27, 2013 23:29

NoCode0680
Christine's songs have never been my thing, though she has a great voice. But I've always thought it was a shame she left. Mainly with this lineup of Fleetwood Mac I like Lindsey's songs and some of Stevie's. Christine's songs, though catchy, just aren't my taste. But her playing and backing vocals were crucial to many songs I do like.

She's an outstanding songwriter, IMO. One of the interesting things about her is that her sense of melody actually got better as she matured, which is not the usual course of things. "As Long As You Follow" is just pure gorgeousness. Little Lies, Hold Me, Love In Store - she definitely had to have a Beach Boys influence in her composition, like Lindsey (and not just from dating Dennis).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-27 23:31 by Claire_M.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 27, 2013 23:29

crumbling_mice
My acquaintence who is connected with all things Glastonbury has assured me they are booked for 2014. That's the positive, the negative is, he tells me that ! million people have already registered for next year's festival and with the day rapidly approaching when they go on sale, I expect that it will sell out in record time (I think last year was about 90 minutes) with a lot of very disappointed people. For the first time in many many years I am not going to be going despite having a guaranteed ticket....it's going to be hard to have to sit at home and watch it on the box!

I can well believe all you say there Mr crumbling_mice.
You're not getting,or feeling too old for all this Glastonbury malarkey are yer ??? lol !!!.
It's certainly the biggest thing that puts me off............along with the rain,the sun,the bogs,too many thousands of younger people,no beer in a fridge nearby,etc.etc. winking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 28, 2013 01:29

THAT's how you greet/handle a former band member. Imagine the confusion, and then the applause and continuing stories, if the Stones show, at the O2, had gone dark and come up again with the early 70s lineup with Taylor and Wyman on stage for a song. Damn the Stones for how they handled that.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: September 28, 2013 05:44

Beast
I've never seen Fleetwood Mac before and went out of curiosity the other night (which did not feature Christine McVie - she was slated to appear only at the second two London shows, i.e., Wednesday and tonight, for that one song) and they far outstripped my expectations, which were quite low on the basis of reports from friends who'd seen them on past tours. The recorded versions of their songs now sound pathetic compared to the live versions I heard. Lindsey Buckingham's guitar-playing was a revelation, Mick Fleetwood was having an absolute ball and Stevie Nicks did a great job of finding alternatives to those high notes she probably can't do anymore. Not to be missed.

I've never seen Fleetwood mac unfortunately, but personally I would go with very high expectations. For one, you have one of the great rhythm sections *ever*. Potentially you could have an amazing song selection, with the obvious 70s/80s hits mingled with tons of potential deep cuts. And Lindsey Buckingham, whom I have seen solo, is just a tremendous artist and player. And I appreciate his chemistry with the twirling dervish Stevie Nicks, who also certainly adds a few good tunes to the mix.

And Christine definitely brought lots to the table.

From the mighty Tusk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-28 05:45 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 28, 2013 06:04

24FPS
THAT's how you greet/handle a former band member. Imagine the confusion, and then the applause and continuing stories, if the Stones show, at the O2, had gone dark and come up again with the early 70s lineup with Taylor and Wyman on stage for a song. Damn the Stones for how they handled that.
I mean... that is essentially how Taylor came out at the first 02 show. Its pretty much your scenario without Wyman...

Date: September 28, 2013 14:23

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: September 28, 2013 22:18

Listening to Fleetwood Mac " Peter Green's " guitar playing still gets me shivers.

oh well

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: September 29, 2013 04:36

I saw them in NY over the summer... They were great... Hearing and seeing Mick Fleetwood play drums is worth the admission. They don't make drummers like that any longer..

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 30, 2013 22:39

I used to be a huge FM fan until Stevie Nicks came on board. Love Christine McVie's voice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-30 22:44 by Bliss.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: September 30, 2013 23:37

crawdaddy
crumbling_mice

I can well believe all you say there Mr crumbling_mice.
You're not getting,or feeling too old for all this Glastonbury malarkey are yer ??? lol !!!.
It's certainly the biggest thing that puts me off............along with the rain,the sun,the bogs,too many thousands of younger people,no beer in a fridge nearby,etc.etc. winking smiley

Ha Ha, you hit the nail on the head Crawdaddy...I've been going since 79 on and off and seeing the Stones there this summer was what I had always been waiting for. I'd always said if I could see the Stones play the Pyramid stage on the saturday night as the sun set then I would die a happy man. That experience occured and whilst I'm sure there will be many other headliners in the future who will storm it, some how, now, everything seems an anti-climax. I am also finding it tougher every year. THis year we went for a bit of glamping and paid the extra - it was worth it...peace and quiet at night, decent loos, no queueing to get in or out etc etc...next year it will be from the comfort of our living room! I still hope it is Fleetwood MAc as I reckon they will be another classic Glasto headliner. THey have the songs and like the Stones, everybody loves classic Mac!

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: November 25, 2013 07:33

[www.upi.com]

Christine McVie would like to rejoin Fleetwood Mac
Nov. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

LONDON, Nov. 24 (UPI) -- British musician Christine McVie said she'd like to rejoin her former band Fleetwood Mac after appearing with them on stage recently in London.

McVie left the band in 1998 after 28 years as the group's singer, songwriter and keyboardist, saying she was "just music'd [sic] out."

"I suffered from some kind of delusion that I wanted to be an English country girl, a Sloane Ranger or something ... and it took me 15 years to realise that it's not really what I wanted at all," she told The Guardian.

McVie rejoined the group in September for shows they had at the O2 in London and said she realized how much she missed performing.

"It was amazing, like I'd never left. I climbed back on there again and there they were, the same old faces on stage," she said.

"I like being with the band, the whole idea of playing music with them," she added. "I miss them all. If they were to ask me I would probably be very delighted ... but it hasn't happened so we'll have to wait and see."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-25 07:33 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: November 25, 2013 18:00

Hooray! Great news. I hope they take her up on the offer. smiling smiley

She must have gotten bored in retirement. If she kept up with her songwriting, there could be an interesting FM album on the horizon.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: November 25, 2013 19:46

would be nice. great lady, great voice. magic !!!
jeroen

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: November 25, 2013 23:36

Well, this is great to know; I just hate the whole "well they haven't asked" kind of thing, though. Is this junior high?? Just call them up for godsake. Tell them you want back in. I'd go see FM with her back in the band, as long as no one else decides to exit. A new album with her on ALL tracks would be sweet as well.

Date: November 26, 2013 00:36

Claire_M
Hooray! Great news. I hope they take her up on the offer. smiling smiley

She must have gotten bored in retirement. If she kept up with her songwriting, there could be an interesting FM album on the horizon.

I thought the same thing, hanging around the house all those years I bet a lot of songs came to her (I can only imagine being a fly on the wall and hear her singing around the house/garden) I hope she wrote them down... it could make for an amazing first album with her (in years and years). Lets hope this all works out.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 26, 2013 01:07

I love her voice.

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac with Christine McVie!
Date: December 16, 2013 19:14

The Guardian has a wonderful new interview with Chris and Stevie - it certainly looks like the reunion will happen (don't want to jinx things):

[www.theguardian.com]
Fleetwood Mac's Stevie and Christine: 'We were like rock'n'roll nuns'
Through all Fleetwood Mac's years of druggy excess and bitter breakups, the friendship between Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks never faltered. They talk about addiction, sexism – and how they can't wait to play together again

Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac with Christine McVie!
Date: December 16, 2013 19:38

Claire_M
The Guardian has a wonderful new interview with Chris and Stevie - it certainly looks like the reunion will happen (don't want to jinx things):

This is really good news. thumbs up Thanks for posting.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 16, 2013 21:41

Max'sKansasCity
[www.upi.com]

Christine McVie would like to rejoin Fleetwood Mac
Nov. 24, 2013 at 3:20 PM

LONDON, Nov. 24 (UPI) -- British musician Christine McVie said she'd like to rejoin her former band Fleetwood Mac after appearing with them on stage recently in London.

McVie left the band in 1998 after 28 years as the group's singer, songwriter and keyboardist, saying she was "just music'd [sic] out."

"I suffered from some kind of delusion that I wanted to be an English country girl, a Sloane Ranger or something ... and it took me 15 years to realise that it's not really what I wanted at all," she told The Guardian.

McVie rejoined the group in September for shows they had at the O2 in London and said she realized how much she missed performing.

"It was amazing, like I'd never left. I climbed back on there again and there they were, the same old faces on stage," she said.

"I like being with the band, the whole idea of playing music with them," she added. "I miss them all. If they were to ask me I would probably be very
delighted ... but it hasn't happened so we'll have to wait and see."

Great news. Why haven't they asked her yet? This one is a no-brainer.

Date: December 16, 2013 23:04

How's John coping?

Posted by: ash ()
Date: December 16, 2013 23:55

i think i heard Christine say he's doing okay so here's hoping. Probably still early days. It's A Hard Road as many know. Best wishes to Mr McVie and everyone fighting back against illness.
I wish Peter and Danny were well and had their talents intact. Would love to see a real FMac reunion but that just aint gonna happen.
I reckon that should they play again, the Rumours line-up could do a mean Green Manalishi with Stevie taking the vocals. They'd have to get Christine's keys locked in with LB's guitar but i bet it's do-able. It's not as mental an idea as it sounds at first. Dragonfly would also go down a treat.
Maybe they could prepare those for the 50th...

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 13, 2014 18:55

She's back [www.rollingstone.com] !

Hope they play Europe again quickly to celebrate that as soon as John McVie is better.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 13, 2014 19:49

dishevelmentblues

Hey, that's MY video! First row with no barrier between the crowd and the stage - almost perfect except I got in a fight with the guy who was standing next to me and almost got us both thrown out. I need to control my temper . . . . .

By the way, if that person happens to be a member here - I apologize. I hadn't slept much and my brain was fried. I hope I didn't spoil the night for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-01-13 21:27 by drbryant.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 13, 2014 20:06

Do you think they'll hype her return and then limit her to a cameo of one or two songs, max? That would be a shitty thing to do to a former member that the fans clamored for.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 14, 2014 01:01

I dont know how to post youtube vids here,but,if I did I'd post "Come a little bit closer"....always liked that 1....

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: January 14, 2014 02:07

detroitken
I dont know how to post youtube vids here,but,if I did I'd post "Come a little bit closer"....always liked that 1....

Here ya go, and thanks! I'm not as familiar with the "old" Mac catalog as I'd like to be, especially the Bob Welch era...this is a great song!

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: January 14, 2014 15:30

Thanx Jah Paul

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 14, 2014 19:08

One more solid album with the big line-up would be so nice. Here's hoping JM recovers quickly and completely.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home