Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 2, 2021 02:20

kovach
terraplane
Billy Preston certainly made a significant musical contribution to the tunes he played on

Yeah, I really didn't know how much until watching this, things really sounded different and took off after he arrived!

Its amazing that Billy Preston just sat down and banged out exactly what's on the album. Obviously smaller task for him than writing the whole thing, but what a genius. Sits down and plays legendary stuff right off the bat.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 2, 2021 02:24

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 2, 2021 23:41

Paddy
I decided to watch the anthology series again. It’s been years since I’ve seen it.

I slips my memory but how long is it and where is available to watch?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 2, 2021 23:50

The Sicilian

Runtime: 11 hrs : 14 mins, available on 5 DVDs : [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.com] .

Large picture

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 3, 2021 00:11

Rockman

Great thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up Rocky

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 3, 2021 01:10

Irix
The Sicilian

Runtime: 11 hrs : 14 mins, available on 5 DVDs : [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.Amazon.com] .

Large picture

Yeah, I think DVD is you way to go, I’m not sure it’s available on any of the streaming sites.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 3, 2021 03:55

RollingFreak
Paddy
I decided to watch the anthology series again. It’s been years since I’ve seen it.
Another really great thing to check out is Ron Howard's Touring Years doc. That too showed between 1962 and 1966, these guys didn't have a @#$%& day off!

Yeah, I think that was called "eight days a week", was really good. If inrbsr it was George who first started freaking out a bit and he was the most hesitant one in this mini-series as well.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 3, 2021 04:01

Irix
The Sicilian

Yeah, I think DVD is you way to go, I’m not sure it’s available on any of the streaming sites.

Yeah, I checked Amazon Prime and I didn't see it. I would imagine that Disney + will eventually carry it once the "Get Back" watches start to slow. Or maybe they're remastering it.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: December 3, 2021 10:58

kovach
RollingFreak
Paddy
Another really great thing to check out is Ron Howard's Touring Years doc. That too showed between 1962 and 1966, these guys didn't have a @#$%& day off!

Yeah, I think that was called "eight days a week", was really good. If inrbsr it was George who first started freaking out a bit and he was the most hesitant one in this mini-series as well.

Well they couldn't hear themselves when they played plus jealous boyfriends would wait along the air strip and pepper their plane with bullets.

Date: December 3, 2021 11:43

Paddy
Irix
The Sicilian

Large picture

This is the Anthology DVD set........

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: December 6, 2021 22:39

I loved watching the Get Back series, the best music doc I've seen for some time, the quality is amazing on a big tv screen. They way Macca comes up with songs like Get Back out of nothing is stunning.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 9, 2021 23:18

Yes, the quality of the film and sound of the Get Back Disney documentary is great. Crystal clear with great sound. It's interesting how assertive Paul was in the creative process. Hard to believe he is the same guy who wrote crap like Silly Love Songs over the next 50 years. I wish Ladies and Gentleman and the performance videos from CS Blues could be cleaned up to that level of quality

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: December 10, 2021 01:06

NilsHolgersson
I loved watching the Get Back series, the best music doc I've seen for some time, the quality is amazing on a big tv screen. They way Macca comes up with songs like Get Back out of nothing is stunning.
To compose Get Back, Long and Winding Road and Let it Be in a couple days is absolutely genius

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 10, 2021 05:39

DrPete
NilsHolgersson
To compose Get Back, Long and Winding Road and Let it Be in a couple days is absolutely genius

I'm looking forward to a marathon session of all 3 episodes when the Christmas holidays start. Just to busy to watch them now.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: December 10, 2021 06:38

Taylor1
Hard to believe he is the same guy who wrote crap like Silly Love Songs over the next 50 years.

I know a lot of folks agree with ya, but I love Silly Love Songs. Once of the most perfect pop songs ever, with a bass line that always amazes and delights.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 10, 2021 06:45

treaclefingers
DrPete
NilsHolgersson

I'm looking forward to a marathon session of all 3 episodes when the Christmas holidays start. Just to busy to watch them now.

Good luck in finding 8 hours together with nothing else to do? Maybe 10:00pm one night until after 6:00am the next morning?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 10, 2021 08:49

CaptainCorella
treaclefingers

Good luck in finding 8 hours together with nothing else to do? Maybe 10:00pm one night until after 6:00am the next morning?

Haha, I have difficulties with listening a Beatles album (some times even one song) from start to finish, so that marathon would be extreme indeed... (not tried putting my head into guillotine either)

But that is just me. For Beatles hardcore fans, I am sure that must be a thrilling 8 hours. I wish there would be something similar from the Stones vaults.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 08:51 by Doxa.

Date: December 10, 2021 11:09

Finished this Beatles-marathon yesterday. It's a double-edged sword, as Abbey Road is one of my favourite Beatles-albums (love the early versions of the Abbey Road-songs), and I find Let It Be really poor (except for Across The Universe and the B-side Don't Let Me Down).

The band were more or less toast when entering that huge room. However, it's impressive how they managed to squeeze that creative lemon again.

It's fascinating to see George Harrison play. He's a very "musical" guitarist, and a fantastic songwriter.

Billy looked like a kid in a candy store, but did a very good job.

A nice docu, even though it's the making of my least favourite Beatles album.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 10, 2021 12:41

McCartney is really impressive in the documentary, but in the end, IMHO, Harrison comes out as the most interesting personality of the four...a little grumpy sometimes, but very serious and very dedicated to music.

Great documentary! I really loved watching it so far (still a couple of hours to go!)

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 10, 2021 12:51

DandelionPowderman
Finished this Beatles-marathon yesterday. It's a double-edged sword, as Abbey Road is one of my favourite Beatles-albums (love the early versions of the Abbey Road-songs), and I find Let It Be really poor (except for Across The Universe and the B-side Don't Let Me Down).

The band were more or less toast when entering that huge room. However, it's impressive how they managed to squeeze that creative lemon again.

It's fascinating to see George Harrison play. He's a very "musical" guitarist, and a fantastic songwriter.

I've always had a soft spot for Let It Be, even the original "spectorized" album - despite the fact that it contradicted their original "going back" artistic vision to a certain degree and felt somehow uneven because of that. But for me, it simply has too many good or even great songs to call it "weak", so if there's a least favourite Beatles album, that award must go to "Beatles For Sale" that's aptly titled imo.

It's interesting that after GHS, in an interview from 1973 or 1974, Keith also mentioned that he was quite fed up with hours and hours of studio time spent on recording, overdubbing and finishing just a single song, that the evolution of studio and recording gear did the music no good because it gave musicians simply too many choices, killing the sponaneity in the process and that he would like to record the next Stones album on just no more than 8 track tape in an attempt to go back to the early days of the band, when they simply had to deal with just two or four tracks to record. That "spontaneous" Stones album, quickly recorded, almost live in the studio with as few overdubs as possible, however never materialized, and we got IORR instead.

Looks like the commercial pressures for huge artists like the Beatles or the Stones at the time were too big to allow them to "go back and do it simple"!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-12-10 12:55 by retired_dog.

Date: December 10, 2021 12:54

Yeah, good points. As they went along, they found themselves in the middle of a technological "revolution", recording-wise.

Keith finally got what he wanted with Blue And Lonesome. It took a while winking smiley

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 11, 2021 11:40

Pretty amazing film. Peter Jackson did incredible work putting it together.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: December 11, 2021 14:29

Is interesting how many songs that wound up on Beatles solo albums were rehearsed or attempted during the Let it Be Sessions , like Jealousy Guy ,aka Child of Nature, Another Day , Isn’t it a pity, All things Must Pass, Mind Games, Gimme Some Truth , Teddy Boy, Junk, Back Seat of My Car. Most of the Abbey Road album songs were written by this time. It’s also interesting that the song Get Back started out as ant anti immigrant parody song called Don’t Dig No Pakistanis. That’s why the completed lyrics of Get Back make no sense.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 14, 2021 08:09

The Beatles’ ‘Let It Be’ Climbs To No.1 On Billboard’s Top Rock Albums
The classic album and songs from it are performing well on numerous charts.

The Beatles’ Let It Be album is supercharged by the Thanksgiving Weekend premiere of the docuseries The Beatles: Get Back on Disney+ to climb from No.10 to the top of Billboard’s Top Rock Albums chart for the first time.
It's the fifth time a Beatles album has topped that chart, following Love in 2007, On Air: Live at the BBC Volume 2 in 2009, and two titles that rose to the summit after their 50th anniversary expanded reissues, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band in 2017 and Abbey Road in 2019.

More. > ONE

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: December 14, 2021 18:42

shawnriffhard1
Taylor1
Hard to believe he is the same guy who wrote crap like Silly Love Songs over the next 50 years.

I know a lot of folks agree with ya, but I love Silly Love Songs. Once of the most perfect pop songs ever, with a bass line that always amazes and delights.

One of the best bass rhythms ever created.

Though I see your point but also created Maxwell's Silver Hammer way back when, a song I understand the band hated, especially doing it over and over until he was satisfied.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 14, 2021 19:10

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman

I've always had a soft spot for Let It Be, even the original "spectorized" album - despite the fact that it contradicted their original "going back" artistic vision to a certain degree and felt somehow uneven because of that. But for me, it simply has too many good or even great songs to call it "weak", so if there's a least favourite Beatles album, that award must go to "Beatles For Sale" that's aptly titled imo.

It's interesting that after GHS, in an interview from 1973 or 1974, Keith also mentioned that he was quite fed up with hours and hours of studio time spent on recording, overdubbing and finishing just a single song, that the evolution of studio and recording gear did the music no good because it gave musicians simply too many choices, killing the sponaneity in the process and that he would like to record the next Stones album on just no more than 8 track tape in an attempt to go back to the early days of the band, when they simply had to deal with just two or four tracks to record. That "spontaneous" Stones album, quickly recorded, almost live in the studio with as few overdubs as possible, however never materialized, and we got IORR instead.

Looks like the commercial pressures for huge artists like the Beatles or the Stones at the time were too big to allow them to "go back and do it simple"!

Mick commented something similar about the recording of LOVE YOU LIVE.

Although not related to the recording interview, Keith's mental state in 1974 is available with this, which is oddly funny:

I can't live without being on the road. Every minute spent off the road I either turn into an alcoholic or a junkie 'cause I've got nothing else to do. It's just a waste of time. I can turn into anything: a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, a psychedelic treat, a Jehovah's Witness, a junkie - anything can happen 'cause I'm not doing THAT. That's what I do. I mean, most people that do things at least have the opportunity of doing it pretty regularly. We're in this unique, so they say, position of not being able to expose ourselves too much. So you've got these horrible extravagances of people saying, I don't want to work this year. That's why I did the album with Woody. I couldn't stand it anymore. To write off a whole fukcing year in one sentence is stupid.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: December 17, 2021 19:01

video: [liveforlivemusic.com] I liked the beatles alot more after Dylan turned them on to pot in 1964. Always loved the Stones!

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: December 23, 2021 17:50

Finally caught up and watched the Get Back documentary over the last few days. Loved every minute, particularly the full rooftop concert.

Highlight for me though was 6 year old Heather screaming in the microphone Yoko style. This was better/more tuneful than Yoko herself and showed what a sham her alleged avent-garde talent was.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: December 23, 2021 21:59

Lifted – Fab Images and Memories in My Life With the Beatles From Across the Universe

Proceeds of the Limited-Edition Signed Book, Signed by Ringo Starr, Will Benefit The Lotus Foundation

Sold Exclusively Online at Julien’s Auctions

Ringo Starr’s LIFTED – Fab Images and Memories In My Life with the Beatles From Across The Universe – is the beloved drummer and pop culture icon’s exciting new hardcover coffee table book. Due by Valentine’s Day 2022 and available exclusively online at Julien’s Auctions, LIFTED offers in words and pictures, Starr’s singular and revealing perspective on his time in the greatest band in music history.

“I am not writing this book as a Beatle historian," Starr explains with a laugh. "I’m writing this book as a Beatle -- and there's only a couple of us who can do that.” Asked about the origins of this new project, Starr explains, “I didn’t keep all these photos. These fantastic images came back to me in recent years from here, there and everywhere -- online and off -- and have somehow helped me get back to seeing my life with The Fab Four through fresh eyes. A lot of the photos in this book I spotted on my phone and on my computer and “lifted” them because they brought back so many fabulous memories. In recent years, I’d gather these Beatles photos that I sometimes barely remembered. After a while, I thought, how great it would be to "lift" these fantastic photos and some of my other favorites for charity and tell my true tales that they inspire about what the four of us -- John, Paul, George and Ringo -- went through back in the day. And the best thing is that it’s all for a good cause because the money is going to our Lotus Foundation.

According to Starr, “When people ask me about the Beatles, I often tell them, `You better ask Paul,’ because somehow he seems to remember everything. But along with great projects like Get Back, seeing so many of these amazing Beatles images has really brought back those days to me and all the love and friendship that we four shared back then. So this a book full of Beatle images that many people haven’t seen and stories that I’m sharing with a little help from my longtime writer friend David Wild. We’ve all been through a pretty tough time for a lot of people who’ve been locked down, and this book has really lifted my spirits and took me back to where I once belonged in a whole new way. And in the end, that’s why this new book is called Lifted. The Beatles changed my life forever. So it’s about getting back and giving back.”

Ringo Starr’s LIFTED -- Images and Memories In My Life with the Beatles From Across The Universe – is a beautifully designed hard cover with jacket, many rarely seen images overlaid with captions and quotes by Ringo Starr with help from best-selling author and award-winning TV writer-producer David Wild. In the Forward, Ringo will explain the origin and motivation for the exciting new book. Proceeds from LIFTED, including a Limited-Edition Signed Book, signed by Ringo Starr, Will Benefit The Lotus Foundation and will be Sold Exclusively Online at Julien’s Auction.

RINGO STARR: LIFTED - LIMITED SIGNATURE EDITION
Five hundred exclusive-limited hardcover “signature edition” books personally signed by Ringo Starr are offered for $495 each.

The proceeds of the book will benefit The Lotus Foundation whose mission funds supports, participates in and promotes charitable projects aimed at advancing social welfare in diverse areas including, but not limited to substance abuse, cerebral palsy, brain tumors, cancer, battered women and their children, homelessness, and animals in need.

RINGO STARR: LIFTED - LIMITED COLLECTOR'S EDITION
Limited-edition retrospective hardcover book titled Ringo Starr’s LIFTED – Fab Images and Memories In My Life with the Beatles From Across The Universe is offered for sale online exclusively for $59 each.

[juliensauctions.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 26, 2021 08:36

I've done a lot of holiday video watching this past week, including the GET BACK series, Every Night's A Saturday Night and the 6 episode Paul McCartney/Rick Rubin series.

Loved every minute of everything...riveting.

As much as I always appreciated and loved the Beatles catalogue, a new perspective when you get to see them working up close...an even greater appreciation for the songs and the performances.

I still prefer the Stones and wonder if we got an expanded recut "Sympathy For the Devil" whether that would be more interesting than the Jean Luc Goddard "One Plus One" cut.

It's too bad that the Stones never got this for anything else. Could you imagine Muscle Shoals?

You have all that footage that was filmed for Circus, I wonder how much of it that wasn't used could be recycled into a 'making of R n R Circus'? Problem is you just wouldn't have the audience size that would financially justify it. Still, the band could just subsidize it (and when I say that realize they never would).

Ah well.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...178179180181182183184185186187188...LastNext
Current Page: 183 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home