Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223Next
Current Page: 220 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 2, 2023 20:28

noughties
This new song is better than the previous 2 new songs in the Anthology series from the 90s, IMO.

Imo "Free as Bird" is far superior. And "Real Love" too

Posted by: petewasbristol ()
Date: November 2, 2023 22:16

A beautiful song. I'm glad technology has finally allowed it to be.

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: November 2, 2023 22:28

What I understand of the song, but tell me if I’m wrong. It is a 1978 John Lennon song. So what the @#$%& has that to do with a Beatles song?? I’m not sure of course, as I do not know much about those guys spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, but I don’t believe that John Lennon wrote or recorded it as being a Beatles song.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 2, 2023 23:55

Christiaan
What I understand of the song, but tell me if I’m wrong. It is a 1978 John Lennon song. So what the @#$%& has that to do with a Beatles song?? I’m not sure of course, as I do not know much about those guys spinning smiley sticking its tongue out, but I don’t believe that John Lennon wrote or recorded it as being a Beatles song.

For what I understand George Harrison worked on the tapes as well, but you right this makes it not a Beatle song, for me it just sounds like a Lennon left over song.

Date: November 3, 2023 00:15

NICOS
Christiaan

For what I understand George Harrison worked on the tapes as well, but you right this makes it not a Beatle song, for me it just sounds like a Lennon left over song.

thumbs up

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: November 3, 2023 11:11

#1 iTunes US.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 3, 2023 11:16

powerage78
#1 iTunes US.

Let's wait for it's entry on Billboard Hot 100. iTunes sales are only part of the story. Billboard incorporates all formats, as we all know. Still, I suspect it may reach the upper placings.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: November 3, 2023 11:57

The song is simply musically weak, the lyrics another one of those countless odes to Yoko Ono from John's late period, George, Ringo and Paul couldn't do much more. What worked with Real Love and Free as a Bird went wrong here. One can only hope that this really was the last song from the Dakota Building with or without a humming fridge.

Date: November 3, 2023 13:53

RobertJohnson
The song is simply musically weak, the lyrics another one of those countless odes to Yoko Ono from John's late period, George, Ringo and Paul couldn't do much more. What worked with Real Love and Free as a Bird went wrong here. One can only hope that this really was the last song from the Dakota Building with or without a humming fridge.

You're right

Date: November 3, 2023 14:01

Fun project, but a mediocre song, imo. Good to hear Lennon's voice, though. Paul should have skipped the backing vocals.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 3, 2023 14:52

As I am more of a Lennon than of a Beatles fan, I am pleased that this sounds more like a Lennon solo piece (although some unnecessary elements there - yes, that's you, Macca). But as that it remains a pretty weak one. Harrison was right.

One listen will be enough for good. Now, back to HACKNEY DIAMONDS.

- Doxa

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 3, 2023 15:55

DandelionPowderman
Fun project, but a mediocre song, imo. Good to hear Lennon's voice, though. Paul should have skipped the backing vocals.

Yes, I'm in agreement, unfortunately. I had a listen to Lennon's original demo, and that feels more interesting. This new reimagining of Lennon's song, feels like a bit of a dirge. Very downbeat.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 3, 2023 16:05

"Giles Martin on Producing the Beatles’ ‘Now and Then,’ Remixing the Red and Blue Albums, and How Technology Is Enabling a Mass Emotional Experience" - [Variety.com] .

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 3, 2023 16:16

Big Al
DandelionPowderman

Yes, I'm in agreement, unfortunately. I had a listen to Lennon's original demo, and that feels more interesting. This new reimagining of Lennon's song, feels like a bit of a dirge. Very downbeat.

They needed something new to promote these new releases. Its pretty obvious and its unnecessary. Its the same way as they needed something new to promote with the Anthology, and Free As A Bird worked much better. They'd kinda already lost steam by Real Love. Yes, Paul and Ringo (and George at the time) could contribute to a John Lennon song, but their participation doesn't make it a Beatles song. They have to know that more than anyone. And its painfully clear when you hear these songs. There's an interesting nugget there, and then in making it a full song and clearer they've actually made it more bland IMO.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 3, 2023 16:32

I don't think this could have been an upbeat song. Johns voice in this case made it somber, there's no changing that I'd say. But I can agree it misses the mark. Again as discussed before, particularly in the case of Hackney Diamonds, maybe it's too early to form a definitive opinion.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 3, 2023 16:36

It does feel like a sad, mournful song - which makes Lennon's goofy dancing in the video even funnier for some reason. But I don't hate the song at all. For such a melancholy song, it's decent. I haven't heard the original demo.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 3, 2023 16:49

RollingFreak
Big Al
DandelionPowderman

They needed something new to promote these new releases. Its pretty obvious and its unnecessary. Its the same way as they needed something new to promote with the Anthology, and Free As A Bird worked much better. They'd kinda already lost steam by Real Love. Yes, Paul and Ringo (and George at the time) could contribute to a John Lennon song, but their participation doesn't make it a Beatles song. They have to know that more than anyone. And its painfully clear when you hear these songs. There's an interesting nugget there, and then in making it a full song and clearer they've actually made it more bland IMO.

Good call. I think they're taking advantage of Beatles fans a bit...I guess no one is forcing them to buy this but it seems slightly desperate trying to keep the Beatles flame alive - and Paul still relevant - and at its worst a bit cynical.

Paul and Ringo playing on this, and Paul playing "George-like" guitar parts does not make it a Beatles song. The video, where old Ringo & Paul play alongside young George and John is a bit cringey.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 3, 2023 16:53

Wow, just saw the video. I think this goes better with the song, rather than just listening. Normally I don't like it this way, but it works here. I see the point of jahisnotdead's comment about Johns goofy dancing. Initially I thought the same but then I remembered he had a funny sense of humour, then it makes sense. A great video in my opinion. Second time hearing the song and I like it better.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 3, 2023 22:51

I love the song, so beautiful and poignant. Just like Mess It Up, Angry, Tell Me Straight, Live By The Sword and SSOH a TEN OUTTA TEN song for me.

2023 and we still get new Stones and Beatles songs, amazing.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 3, 2023 23:02

I watched the video of the new song, as the single itself is not open in my region still, for some reason. The song is nice and beautiful, but the copy and paste graphics of the now diseased Beatles members is weired. Also, there is a great and nice guitar solo there, but no guitar player seen in the video during the solo, so it is obviously not a Beatle playing it, they show the four of them ony, and the orchestra for a bit.

Bjornulf

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 3, 2023 23:43

bv
I watched the video of the new song, as the single itself is not open in my region still, for some reason. The song is nice and beautiful, but the copy and paste graphics of the now diseased Beatles members is weired. Also, there is a great and nice guitar solo there, but no guitar player seen in the video during the solo, so it is obviously not a Beatle playing it, they show the four of them ony, and the orchestra for a bit.

It's well reported that the guitar is played by Paul ... "in George's style.."

The video changed my view of the song. To quote a posting elsewhere, it enhances the song and turns it into a great "postscript" on the whole Beatles story.

I don't think that adding in the images of John & George is in any way bad taste. Plus we get to see about 2 seconds previously unseen in The Cavern (courtesy Pete Best apparently).

Ironically, the video is stuffed full of the same insanely clever graphics manipulation that's going on in the Billboards in the Stones' "Angry" video. But in The Beatles version, there's no double breasted distraction centre screen.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 4, 2023 00:10

CaptainCorella
bv

The video changed my view of the song. To quote a posting elsewhere, it enhances the song and turns it into a great "postscript" on the whole Beatles story.

I don't think that adding in the images of John & George is in any way bad taste. Plus we get to see about 2 seconds previously unseen in The Cavern (courtesy Pete Best apparently).

Ironically, the video is stuffed full of the same insanely clever graphics manipulation that's going on in the Billboards in the Stones' "Angry" video. But in The Beatles version, there's no double breasted distraction centre screen.

I thought the song itself was pretty forgettable but inoffensive. To me, the video is offensive lol. I like, can't really put into words how embarrassing that video was to me. I wish I never saw that cause to me it killed any slight chance this song had of being semi respectable. Sorry if any of that seems hyperbolic, that was a mess of a video.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 4, 2023 01:30

The new song debuted at #42 in the UK Singles chart with 7,545 units, mostly digital sales from Thursday, very impressive.

This will be a BIG hit next week with all the physical singles released today, it can go Top 10 easily which could be antonoshing for a legacy act in 2023.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 4, 2023 01:49

I was starting to think halfway through the new video gee what next an 81 year old George Harrison and 83 year old John Lennon playing alongside Paul and Ringo

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: Putty ()
Date: November 4, 2023 02:06

It’s the Beatles in 2023 and with a good story behind
how the song was made. It will be a hit.
But for me it’s not a memorable song, but it’s ok.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: November 4, 2023 02:24

Peter Jackson looks like a mad scientist with his scuffy appearance and unkempt hair, gee imagine if he ever got his hands on The Stones old film, he'd be thinking up all sorts of weird stuff...

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Posted by: GeirGG ()
Date: November 4, 2023 02:38

I love it! Took two listens, but now I’ve heard it loads of times. It is so heartfelt and real. Too bad for those who don’t get it, because this is beautiful, and for me the best of the three last songs. Just sad an album won’t follow. Brilliant!

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: November 4, 2023 02:39

CaptainCorella
bv

I did notice old Paul casting a shadow when young Paul walked behind him.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 4, 2023 02:46

CaptainCorella
bv

thumbs up

I agree. I think the song is greatly improved by the video. If Paul and Ringo are haunted by their past, and how could they not be, then the intermingling of the 2023 Paul and Ringo with the ghostly apparitions of the 1967 John and George illustrates that perfectly.

Re: New Beatles single
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 4, 2023 05:02

peoplewitheyes
yet another one. Why do they bother?

The very same reason why you bother to say anything.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...213214215216217218219220221222223Next
Current Page: 220 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2102
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home