Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 13, 2016 21:48

Good idea Dandelion Powderman. It probably would be excellent in mono. Wonder if Giles Martin thought of that?

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: September 13, 2016 22:30

Ross
I am really digging the new, re-mastered version of "Live At The Hollywood Bowl". You can actually hear the band, and they are killing it! Paul is just amazing. Cant wait for the movie!

well, it's nice to listen. But on the other hand: I could live without it – most of the performances do not add anything significant to the studio versions.

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: September 14, 2016 18:05

Greed is threatening to derail the movie, in the hands of a company representing the estate of Sid Bernstein, suing over the Shea stadium footage.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 14, 2016 19:04

Toxic34
Greed is threatening to derail the movie, in the hands of a company representing the estate of Sid Bernstein, suing over the Shea stadium footage.

[www.rollingstone.com]
Snowballs chance in hell of succeding considering Apple corps army of Legal Eagles.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 14, 2016 20:02

The new "Hollywood Bowl" sounds great.

Re: Double Fantasy - I refer to it as Single Fantasy. John's songs are good to great. Yoko's define awful.

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: September 14, 2016 22:27

It was so annoying to have to skip over her songs on the record player. So wished he had split the sides to have just his songs and her songs.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 15, 2016 05:09

DrPete
It was so annoying to have to skip over her songs on the record player. So wished he had split the sides to have just his songs and her songs.

It was a ploy being put in place to eventually boost the sale of programmable CD players (when they eventually came along).

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 15, 2016 19:56

Actually that is not the case at all. This was, depending on which source you believe, either John and Yoko agreeing to have her songs as part of the whole so they are not skipped. Or Yoko demanded so her songs would not be skipped.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: September 16, 2016 01:12

whitem8
Actually that is not the case at all. This was, depending on which source you believe, either John and Yoko agreeing to have her songs as part of the whole so they are not skipped. Or Yoko demanded so her songs would not be skipped.

OK. I plead guilty to omitting a line of smileys!

'Twas a joke. Obviously too subtle for some beloved readers.

(There's a lot of that about.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 30, 2016 00:21

Hello, Goodbye - The Beatles in Tokyo, 1966

In 1966 The Beatles embarked on their last tour, playing concerts in 20 cities over the course of four months, beginning in London and ending in San Francisco. Millions of fans in England, Germany, Japan, the Philippines and America flocked to see the band.

HELLO, GOODBYE: THE BEATLES IN TOKYO, 1966 celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Beatles' visit to Japan on this tour. Taken by Japanese photographer Shimpei Asai, these pictures have never before been published outside Japan.

They intimately capture a fleeting moment, with all its controversy, Beatlemania and creativity, painting a poignant image of the band during their short but intense visit to Tokyo.

'This is a side of The Beatles - relaxed, comfortable and intrigued by a world that, for them, was new and exotic - that we don't often see. And thanks to Asai, we are virtually in the suite with them.'
- Allan Kozinn (from his Introduction)

[www.genesis-publications.com]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 30, 2016 21:34

Must be a nice book to read...............

But I'm not sure about this sentence:

'This is a side of The Beatles - relaxed, comfortable and intrigued by a world that, for them, was new and exotic - that we don't often see.

Check out the Philippines visit...........Doom and Gloom...............
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 10, 2016 19:41

From the Simpsons, Flanders´ Beatles collection,
including cans of juices:

John Lemon
Orange Harrison
Paul McIcetea
Mango Starr drinking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 10, 2016 19:50

The Yellow Submarine from Lego.

OT : AUCTION ... NASTY 1971 Letter From John to Paul About Breaking Up
Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 15, 2016 03:47

[www.rrauction.com]

#7015 - John Lennon Typed and Hand-Annotated Letter

“Dear Linda and Paul,

I was reading your letter and wondering what middle aged cranky Beatle fan wrote it. I resisted looking at the last page to find out—I kept thinking who is it—Queenie? Stuart's mother?—Clive Epstein's wife?—Alan Williams?—What the hell—it's Linda!

You really think the press are beneath me/you? Do you think that? Who do you think we/you are? The ‘self-indulgent doesn't realize who he is hurting’ bit—I hope you realize what shit you and the rest of my 'kind and unselfish' friends laid on Yoko and me, since we've been together. It might have sometimes been a bit more subtle or should I say ‘middle class’—but not often. We both ‘rose above it’ quite a few times—& forgave you two—so it's the least you can do for us—you noble people.—Linda—if you don't care what I say—shut up!—let Paul write—or whatever.

When asked about what I thought originally concerning MBE, etc.—I told them as best as I can remember—and I do remember squirming a little—don't you, Paul?—or do you—as I suspect—still believe it all? I'll forgive Paul for encouraging the Beatles—if he forgives me for the same—for being—‘honest with me and caring too much’! Fucking hell, Linda, you're not writing for Beatle book!!!

I'm not ashamed of the Beatles—(I did start it all)—but of some of the shit we took to make them so big—I thought we all felt that way in varying degrees—obviously not.

Do you really think most of today's art came about because of the Beatles?—I don't believe you're that insane—Paul—do you believe that? When you stop believing it you might wake up! Didn't we always say we were part of the movement—not all of it?—Of course, we changed the world—but try and follow it through—GET OFF YOUR GOLD DISC AND FLY!

Don't give me that Aunty Gin shit about ‘in five years I'll look back as a different person’—don't you see that's what's happening NOW!—If I only knew THEN what I know NOW—you seemed to have missed that point….

Excuse me if I use ‘Beatle Space’ to talk about whatever I want—obviously if they keep asking Beatle questions—I'll answer them—and get as much John and Yoko Space as I can—they ask me about Paul and I answer—I know some of it gets personal—but whether you believe it or not I try and answer straight—and the bits they use are obviously the juicy bits—I don't resent your husband—I'm sorry for him. I know the Beatles are ‘quite nice people’—I'm one of them—they're also just as big bastards as anyone else—so get off your high horse!—by the way—we've had more intelligent interest in our new activities in one year than we had throughout the Beatle era.

Finally, about not telling anyone that I left the Beatles—PAUL and Klein both spent the day persuading me it was better not to say anything—asking me not to say anything because it would 'hurt the Beatles'—and ‘let's just let it petre out’—remember? So get that into your petty little perversion of a mind, Mrs. McCartney—the cunts asked me to keep quiet about it. Of course, the money angle is important—to all of us—especially after all the petty shit that came from your insane family/in laws—and GOD HELP YOU OUT, PAUL—see you in two years—I reckon you'll be out then—inspite of it all, love to you both, from us two.

P.S. about addressing your letter just to me—STILL….!!!”

In fine condition, with center crease and a few small stains.

Referenced in the 2012 book The John Lennon Letters, this biting missive is in response to a letter from Linda in which she had chided Lennon for, among other things, not openly announcing his departure from The Beatles. Triggered by the death of manager Brian Epstein, the dissolution of the Fab Four and, in particular, the relationship between McCartney and Lennon, escalated over the subsequent control of Apple Corps., and the introduction of both Linda and Yoko Ono into the Beatles circle. Lennon, who was prepared to leave the band and formally announce the end to the Beatles era, shares his side of the story, explaining that McCartney’s interference ultimately stayed him from reaching out to the media. McCartney’s eventual ‘break-up’ announcement, given in a public relations coup with his debut solo album, was viewed by a Lennon as a ‘preemptive strike.’ Likely written shortly before Lennon and Ono’s departure for America, this draft captures the intense rivalry between the two men in the months, and even years, surrounding the breakup of the Beatles. Pre-certified REAL.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-15 18:13 by schillid.

Re: OT : AUCTION ... NASTY 1971 Letter From John to Paul About Breaking Up
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 15, 2016 06:06

Wow...that was a mouthful from John.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2016 06:16

Cool, if not very personal, letter. Honestly, I don't disagree with much of what John says. Paul used to be my favorite Beatle (now its George), but I've always appreciated John's honesty and telling it like it is, which is what he does here. And on top of all of it, he ends it with a "despite everything, I do still love you", which I believe is very genuine. They had a strained relationship. Most good friends do, and when you spend as much time together as they did its inevitable. I do feel like John had respect for what the Beatles did but never got carried away in it. Paul kinda did, which is fine, but is obviously a strain. And he did become a bit like a dictator at the end so its understandable John got upset with it at times.

In the end, I'm proud of both of them that they were mature enough to reconcile before he died. He only died 10 years after the breakup of the biggest band of all times so it shows a pretty grounded nature of them, IMO, to be able to move past it all and at least be civil again. I'm glad it didn't take him dying to realize how special their bond was. John I think always knew it and Paul definitely respected it after they went solo. All in all what I'm getting at is its hard not to love the Beatles as people. They were good guys, straight shooters and went through a lot awfully young and came out pretty normal people by most accounts.

Posted by: HankM ()
Date: November 15, 2016 08:19

schillid
[www.rrauction.com]

#7015 - John Lennon Typed and Hand-Annotated Letter

“I was reading your letter and wondering what middle aged cranky Beatle fan wrote it. I resisted looking at the last page to find out—I kept thinking who is it—Queenie? Stuart's mother?—Clive Epstein's wife?—Alan Williams?—What the hell—it's Linda!

You really think the press are beneath me/you? Do you think that? Who do you think we/you are? The ‘self-indulgent doesn't realize who he is hurting’ bit—I hope you realize what shit you and the rest of my 'kind and unselfish' friends laid on Yoko and me, since we've been together. It might have sometimes been a bit more subtle or should I say ‘middle class’—but not often. We both ‘rose above it’ quite a few times—& forgave you two—so it's the least you can do for us—you noble people.—Linda—if you don't care what I say—shut up!—let Paul write—or whatever.

When asked about what I thought originally concerning MBE, etc.—I told them as best as I can remember—and I do remember squirming a little—don't you, Paul?—or do you—as I suspect—still believe it all? I'll forgive Paul for encouraging the Beatles—if he forgives me for the same—for being—‘honest with me and caring too much’! Fucking hell, Linda, you're not writing for Beatle book!!!

I'm not ashamed of the Beatles—(I did start it all)—but of some of the shit we took to make them so big—I thought we all felt that way in varying degrees—obviously not.

Do you really think most of today's art came about because of the Beatles?—I don't believe you're that insane—Paul—do you believe that? When you stop believing it you might wake up! Didn't we always say we were part of the movement—not all of it?—Of course, we changed the world—but try and follow it through—GET OFF YOUR GOLD DISC AND FLY!

Don't give me that Aunty Gin shit about ‘in five years I'll look back as a different person’—don't you see that's what's happening NOW!—If I only knew THEN what I know NOW—you seemed to have missed that point….

Excuse me if I use ‘Beatle Space’ to talk about whatever I want—obviously if they keep asking Beatle questions—I'll answer them—and get as much John and Yoko Space as I can—they ask me about Paul and I answer—I know some of it gets personal—but whether you believe it or not I try and answer straight—and the bits they use are obviously the juicy bits—I don't resent your husband—I'm sorry for him. I know the Beatles are ‘quite nice people’—I'm one of them—they're also just as big bastards as anyone else—so get off your high horse!—by the way—we've had more intelligent interest in our new activities in one year than we had throughout the Beatle era.

Finally, about not telling anyone that I left the Beatles—PAUL and Klein both spent the day persuading me it was better not to say anything—asking me not to say anything because it would 'hurt the Beatles'—and ‘let's just let it petre out’—remember? So get that into your petty little perversion of a mind, Mrs. McCartney—the cunts asked me to keep quiet about it. Of course, the money angle is important—to all of us—especially after all the petty shit that came from your insane family/in laws—and GOD HELP YOU OUT, PAUL—see you in two years—I reckon you'll be out then—inspite of it all, love to you both, from us two.” Lennon adds a brief handwritten postscript, “P.S. about addressing your letter just to me—STILL….!!!”

In fine condition, with center crease and a few small stains.

Referenced in the 2012 book The John Lennon Letters, this biting missive is in response to a letter from Linda in which she had chided Lennon for, among other things, not openly announcing his departure from The Beatles. Triggered by the death of manager Brian Epstein, the dissolution of the Fab Four and, in particular, the relationship between McCartney and Lennon, escalated over the subsequent control of Apple Corps., and the introduction of both Linda and Yoko Ono into the Beatles circle. Lennon, who was prepared to leave the band and formally announce the end to the Beatles era, shares his side of the story, explaining that McCartney’s interference ultimately stayed him from reaching out to the media. McCartney’s eventual ‘break-up’ announcement, given in a public relations coup with his debut solo album, was viewed by a Lennon as a ‘preemptive strike.’ Likely written shortly before Lennon and Ono’s departure for America, this draft captures the intense rivalry between the two men in the months, and even years, surrounding the breakup of the Beatles. Pre-certified REAL.

Interesting, thank you for posting.
I never this existed or how they became this petty. It sure makes them look silly.

I am rolling my eyes and chortling at... what... this... is what became of whatever so many claim this band to be??.... lol.... they were nothing but short timers who got lucky, made some money (too much too fast) and then allowed Yoko and Linda petty bickering to ruin it. Yoko freekin OH NO!!

Nice work John and Paul! guffaw!

They lucked in to some good songs but this short timer band is not even in my top 20 bands of all time.

And again I am delighted to have been on the Rolling Stones band wagon all these years!

STONES!!!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 15, 2016 09:42

Wow - that's eye popping smiley wowza! Thanks for posting.

I wonder who put it up for auction?

Since it's a draft, would be interesting to know whether John ever finalized/sent the letter. And whether John's archives contain the original letter from Linda, or whether John used it to clean out the cat's litter box tongue sticking out smiley

But daayum! Love John, and how he was struggling ardently to stay humble and not believe his or the Beatles' own hype, and to be awake and aware in the moment.

-swiss

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 15, 2016 10:11

This appears to be a letter primarily to Linda, not (just, or even mostly) Paul.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 15, 2016 10:54

Poor John he really hated everyone... while "selling" hismelf as a peace-loving hippie. cool smiley

Date: November 15, 2016 11:30

To me John sounds very confused. Within a sentence he jumps from one plot-line to another.
This was a guy barely 30 who had seen so much, and was most likely just beginning to digest it, and trying to make sense of it all. It was so HUGE. I think the Beatles unconsciously did a lot of things right: to quit touring, technical advances,Apple Records, and then to disband.
There's the ending if the band, there is Yoko in his life, there is the intense rivalry with Paul, now complicated by women in both of their lifes, adding more jealousy. There is him trying to find spiritual growth in the early days that movement, the press throwing each casual comment in front pages.
I am a Stone-r for life; but I will not deny the Beatles their crown.. To say that they "lucked into a few good songs" is off.

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: November 15, 2016 14:49

Interesting. Be nice to see the letter than this was a reply to. Lennon is a little full of himself....but then again so are/were Paul McCartney and George Harrison. Great band with enduring influence.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 15, 2016 16:05

Good post, RollingFreak.
Great letter by Lennon. For all his excesses, I think he 'got it.' The Beatles were a great band, and he wouldn't let anybody knock them, but at the same time he knew they rode the wave/they didn't create it, and he knew they had to take a lot of shit to make it big (lots of kow-towing to the establishment, which, remember, gave the Stones freedom to do things on their own.) And he knew that nobody deserves that level of adulation.
Like swissz wrote, he was trying to stay humble. I believe he left the band to be true to himself.
Fame is a corrosive agent in many ways. Probably the worst thing that ever happened to our boys was that 'world's greatest rock n' roll band' label, which has limited their artistic endeavors, imo.
And John had to be pissed that he quietly left the band and moved on to other things, but then Paul wound up leaving to great fanfare and both getting credit for that AND blaming John (and John's wife, let's say what we want about Yoko but the man was true to her, unlike many stars of his time.). Paul always played the good guy, even though John knew he was as nasty and conniving as any of them.
PS: Hank, you might think the letter 'petty' but at least he didn't say that Paul had a 'tiny todger.' Ha!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2016 16:15

Totally agree wonderboy. For everything they went through, its great they found women they truly loved. Paul was married to Linda for like 30 years and seemed to adore her. John seemed to feel the same about Yoko, and despite my feelings about her (she WAS a good and bad influence on him) I've always applauded her handling of his catalogue since his death. She's released some really great stuff and I've personally never thought she's used his name but for fame but truly feels indebted to him.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 15, 2016 17:23

dcba
Poor John he really hated everyone... while "selling" hismelf as a peace-loving hippie. cool smiley

Lennon always responded to knocks like a true narcissist. The guy was self absorbed and nasty. I can never understand how anyone could admire him at all.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 15, 2016 17:33

stanlove
dcba

Lennon always responded to knocks like a true narcissist. The guy was self absorbed and nasty. I can never understand how anyone could admire him at all.

I really did grow up admiring him, but the more I heard how he treated Julian the more of a flake I thought he was. Still love the music.

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:01

I have a totally different slant on this! I'm amazed by the anti-John vibe here. John was in LOVE, no matter what any of us THINK about Yoko, it was real to John. He did not get a lot of respect back then concerning Yoko...I am not a fan of Yoko's but really, to not understand things from Johns' perspective is a bit narrow-minded, don't you think? I adore Paul, then & now, but he was a bit arrogant and high & mighty back then.
They were so YOUNG, and shared so much, it's a shame to see this kind of nastiness. A good read, however. Very enlightening indeed.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:33

thumbs up

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:39

Redhotcarpet
"I took Ry Cooder for everything I could get" Keith Richards

Wondering what Ry Cooder and Keith Richards have do to with this

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:52

schillid
Redhotcarpet
"I took Ry Cooder for everything I could get" Keith Richards

Wondering what Ry Cooder and Keith Richards have do to with this

It's his signature, it appears on all his posts.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8283848586878889909192...LastNext
Current Page: 87 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1883
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home