Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 223
Re: OT : AUCTION ... NASTY 1971 Letter From John to Paul About Breaking Up
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 17, 2016 04:53

stan gets grumpy. Needs a release.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 17, 2016 05:01

whitem8
stan gets grumpy. Needs a release.

Almost as vexed as John, who also tells someone to shut up in his screed. winking smiley

A friend who is a real Beatles freak and I were discussing this letter today, and he made a great point that, essentially, that in the course of the Beatles being together John was often the fly in the ointment, the tough-truth teller, burning off the bullshit. But after they broke up, that kind of carelessly unleashed scorched earth approach is not terribly useful--when there's less trust and relationships are already strained.

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-17 05:07 by swiss.

Date: November 18, 2016 02:01

I think John's whole motive was to napalm the Beatles so he could sever the past and move onto the future. That whole exaggeration of him and Yoko being self absorbed is a cliche. He wrote about what he knew best. Himself. And how his life mirrored the human condition. Love, loss, psychosis, lonliness and passion. So is that any different than The Stones and their writing about drugs and women ad naseum? Again they write about what they know best, themselves.

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 18, 2016 02:42

stanlove
If you didn't know George was nasty
What did George Harrison ever do to you?

Martin Scorsese made a movie on his life, and many who knew him participated to pay tribute.

Lots of people liked him. Which is way more than can be said for you, in this thread.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 18, 2016 02:50

stone66
stanlove

Martin Scorsese made a movie on his life, and many who knew him participated to pay tribute.

Lots of people liked him. Which is way more than can be said for you, in this thread.

Garbage point. he didn't have to do anything to me to be nasty. I have seen his interviews and read his quotes. he often went out of his way to be nasty.

Like I already said Mick Jagger said that was funny but was very combative. He said that Harrison would attack the Stones with the fact that the Beatles were bigger then the Stones. he said Lennon would think it was nasty also. I have seen go out of his way to insult other people also.

One example of him going out of his way to be nasty..This is who Harrison was to me.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-18 02:53 by stanlove.

Date: November 18, 2016 03:21

That video is highly suspect. The voice doesn't sound like George, the quality is terrible and looks like the dialog doesn't even match his lips. But at the end of the day, even if that is really George talking that is nasty? ReallY? That is so tame and typical stuff they all say about each other. At the end of the day George helped The Stones get their contract with Decca! He loved going to see them in the clubs.

But George definitely had his dark side and a big criticism of the Scorsese document was he glossed over that. George had hep and was a ragging coke addict in the mid 70s. Slept with Ringo's wife, and a lot of other questionable stuff... but we all have our dark sides don't we?

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 18, 2016 03:38

stanlove
stone66
stanlove

Garbage point. he didn't have to do anything to me to be nasty. I have seen his interviews and read his quotes. he often went out of his way to be nasty.

Like I already said Mick Jagger said that was funny but was very combative. He said that Harrison would attack the Stones with the fact that the Beatles were bigger then the Stones. he said Lennon would think it was nasty also. I have seen go out of his way to insult other people also.

One example of him going out of his way to be nasty..This is who Harrison was to me.

[www.youtube.com]

Here's the whole interview and there is absolutely no mention of Mick on it, unless I am wrong.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 18, 2016 03:41

whitem8
That video is highly suspect. The voice doesn't sound like George, the quality is terrible and looks like the dialog doesn't even match his lips. But at the end of the day, even if that is really George talking that is nasty? ReallY? That is so tame and typical stuff they all say about each other. At the end of the day George helped The Stones get their contract with Decca! He loved going to see them in the clubs.

But George definitely had his dark side and a big criticism of the Scorsese document was he glossed over that. George had hep and was a ragging coke addict in the mid 70s. Slept with Ringo's wife, and a lot of other questionable stuff... but we all have our dark sides don't we?

Although the sound and video are out of synch, that's DEFINITELY George saying those words.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 18, 2016 03:56

So how do you know that? Did you film it? Do you have the transcript from the interview? I will watch the two clips from Cristiano Radtke and get back to you.

Date: November 18, 2016 04:20

Cristiano Radtke
stanlove
stone66
stanlove

[www.youtube.com]

Here's the whole interview and there is absolutely no mention of Mick on it, unless I am wrong.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

I saw the interview at the time when Harrison said it. The discussion was who did the first rock video and he went out of his way to be nasty like he often did.

Its one thing if you are asked if you like someone's music to answer honestly, its another thing to go out of your way to be nasty.

BY the way according to Jagger when Harrison would attack him about he Beatles being bigger then the Stones Lennon would say to Jagger just ignore it some people don't handle success well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-18 04:22 by stanlove.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 18, 2016 05:38

George was instrumental (no pun intended) in getting The Stones signed in the first place. He nabbed Dick Rowe to see them at The Crawdaddy; Rowe had become infamous for passing on The Beatles. I'd like to see the actual nasty quotes from George in print or video. I'd laugh if he did get a little nasty but I tend to doubt it. I can totally love The Stones, and have since their England's Newest Hitmakers, and still have no problem noting that The Stones and ALO (who came from The Beatles team) did their best to wear the hair do's and matching suits. It made it even cooler when they ditched them. The only direct factual information that I know about George and The Stones is that he brought Rowe, and the next week The Rolling Stones were a signed recording act.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 18, 2016 06:32

whitem8

I knew most of that, except the Ringo thing which seems bad, although they almost remained good friends and the same thing happened with Clapton and George and they always got along so who the @#$%& knows what is going through their minds. I will say, I remember that doc touching on the fact that George used to get blow jobs, I think while he played the sitar. I think it either implied he was unfaithful or his wife outright says it was something she had to live with. Unless I'm totally making that up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guy is a saint, I just didn't know he was "mean".

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2016 06:39

No matter how nasty George was (winking smiley), we can thank him for helping the Stones get their start.
And with Lennon/McCartney writing and gifting the Stones' their first hit, it's clear that without the Beatles there would be no Stones as we came to know them.

Date: November 18, 2016 06:48

whitem8

It's funny you bring this up, in this way. After reading this thread yesterday I realized I couldn't and didn't feel inclined to try to express that very thing about George. Instead, I went and listened to the song Dark Horse, which, to me, has always been scathingly plain, self-critical autobiography.

George Harrison - Dark Horse
-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-18 06:51 by swiss.

Date: November 18, 2016 08:07

RollingFreak
I will say, I remember that doc touching on the fact that George used to get blow jobs, I think while he played the sitar. I think it either implied he was unfaithful or his wife outright says it was something she had to live with. Unless I'm totally making that up.

Anyone with George knew that he was not monogamous. I don't remember that Olivia said about George in that regard --- but I really don't recall anyone mentioning the practice of George having women go down on him as he was playing the sitar.

This is what I did find, and the source seems pretty dubious (note: should see what this tabloidish book says about Keith and Mick).

I may be mistaken, but this seems like an urban myth.

-swiss

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: November 18, 2016 09:36

swiss
RollingFreak
I will say, I remember that doc touching on the fact that George used to get blow jobs, I think while he played the sitar. I think it either implied he was unfaithful or his wife outright says it was something she had to live with. Unless I'm totally making that up.

Anyone with George knew that he was not monogamous. I don't remember that Olivia said about George in that regard --- but I really don't recall anyone mentioning the practice of George having women go down on him as he was playing the sitar.

This is what I did find, and the source seems pretty dubious (note: should see what this tabloidish book says about Keith and Mick).

-swiss

Hmmm, I’d need to talk to the blow job giver myself before deciding whether or not to believe this anecdote - have you attempted to interview her, Swiss? - but I can’t say I care for her moaning. I could understand her being pissed if George were talking on the phone whilst receiving head but playing a musical instrument seems to be a gentlemanly act of reciprocity. As a nod to George, the next time my wife is feeling amorous I might just pull out my guitar.

Posted by: FeelinRealWell ()
Date: November 18, 2016 15:04

I've also seen Love twice and man did it blow me away. Went in 06 and 08 and remember subtle differences between the two. I wonder if it's constantly evolving? Anyway I love the Beatles but unfortunately can't seem to find any literature that really excites me about the history of the band. That giant black book with all their heads on the cover served better as a footstool. McCartney's biography cured my insomnia. An ex once bought me this little throwaway book about the rumors and coincidences of Paul's death....now that was fun. I enjoyed reading about silly, stupid stuff like that. Turn me on dead man! Are there any Beatles message boards or forums similar to IORR?

Date: November 18, 2016 15:29

Swayed1967
swiss
RollingFreak

-swiss

Hmmm, I’d need to talk to the blow job giver myself before deciding whether or not to believe this anecdote - have you attempted to interview her, Swiss? - but I can’t say I care for her moaning. I could understand her being pissed if George were talking on the phone whilst receiving head but playing a musical instrument seems to be a gentlemanly act of reciprocity. As a nod to George, the next time my wife is feeling amorous I might just pull out my guitar.

The anecdote and excerpt of the book I posted is a great example of what people are referring to these days as "fake news." It's from one garbage source known for spreading nonsense.
(As to your suggestions, easily spotted as a taunt from an angry guy trying to get under someone's skin like a 5th grade boy. Generally iorr isn't creepy like that.)

Date: November 18, 2016 16:12

Date: November 18, 2016 17:33

Good for George for criticizing Oasis. They basically are Beatlemania the cover band.

And that is nasty? And even the supposed comment about Jagger is nasty? I think not, it is pretty tame stuff. And nasty? Well John's famous Rolling Stone interview where he talks about "Jagger's faggy dancing..." Shock and awe sells print.

Date: November 18, 2016 18:05

To be fair to George, A LOT of people criticize Liam. Sounds like I'm getting him off the hook, but seriously there's a ton of people that hate that guy. Thats nothing new.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: November 18, 2016 20:01

Yeah, not sure what that video was suppose to prove. Although I like Oasis, George was right.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 18, 2016 20:19

I liked the first two Oasis albums when they were first released (along with the many b-sides), but to be honest I haven't thought much about them for over 15 years.
All I know is they broke up, they're now obsolete, and several of them crawled back into the holes from where they came from.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 18, 2016 20:32

RollingFreak
whitem8

I knew most of that, except the Ringo thing which seems bad, although they almost remained good friends and the same thing happened with Clapton and George and they always got along so who the @#$%& knows what is going through their minds. I will say, I remember that doc touching on the fact that George used to get blow jobs, I think while he played the sitar. I think it either implied he was unfaithful or his wife outright says it was something she had to live with. Unless I'm totally making that up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the guy is a saint, I just didn't know he was "mean".

I recall a quote from Olivia Harrison in the Scorcese movie.
When asked if there was a secret to having an enduring marriage her response was:
'Don't get divorced'.
Quite revealing really.

Date: November 20, 2016 23:33

Angry Beatles' break-up letter sells at auction

A furious letter from John Lennon to Paul McCartney and his wife, Linda, written after The Beatles' break-up has sold for nearly $30,000 (£24,200).

In the two-page typed draft with handwritten notes, Lennon criticises the couple for their treatment of him and his wife, Yoko Ono.
The attack is said to be in response to Linda's criticism of him not publicly announcing his departure from the band.

The letter was sold at a US auction to an anonymous collector in Dallas.
The opening paragraph makes reference to a letter Lennon received which he said made him wonder "what middle-aged cranky Beatle fan wrote it".

He said: "I resisted looking at the last page to find out—I kept thinking who is it—Queenie? Stuart's mother?—Clive Epstein's wife?—Alan Williams?—What the hell—it's Linda!"

Lennon went on to respond to accusations he was "self indulgent" by criticising the couple for their treatment of him and Yoko.
Using strong language, he said he hoped they realised the trouble "you and the rest of my 'kind and unselfish' friends laid on Yoko and me, since we've been together".

'God help you'

Making direct reference to his former bandmate McCartney, Lennon questions the notion that "today's art" came about because of the Beatles.

He wrote: "I don't believe you're that insane - Paul - do you believe that? When you stop believing it, you might wake up!"

He also responds to the criticism that he did not publicly announce he was leaving the band, saying he was asked by Paul and former manager Allen Klein to keep quiet as it would "hurt the Beatles".

In his last attack directed at Linda, he says he suffered because of her "insane family/in laws" before adding in capitals "God Help You Out, Paul".

US auctioneers RR Auction said it believed the letter was written around 1971 - a year after McCartney publicly announced he was leaving the band.

It said the letter, which sold for $29,843.45, "captures the intense rivalry between the two men in the months, and even years, surrounding the break-up of the Beatles".

[www.bbc.com]

Date: November 26, 2016 05:31

Date: November 26, 2016 09:39

Looks good! Gotta say, I kinda laughed at the idea of a Ringo documentary (just as I did of him getting into the Hall Of Fame), but he's an awesome guy and always seemed so cool. He had a very interesting post Beatles career and looks like a fun documentary.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 26, 2016 11:09

RollingFreak
Looks good! Gotta say, I kinda laughed at the idea of a Ringo documentary (just as I did of him getting into the Hall Of Fame), but he's an awesome guy and always seemed so cool. He had a very interesting post Beatles career and looks like a fun documentary.

I wonder if they are rushing this out to beat the inevitable tsunami of 'special' TV (etc etc etc) programmes to mark the 50th Anniversary of the release of Sgt. Pepper (June 2017).

Just think, there are production companies all over the world making them at this very minute.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

The Beatles - 9 seconds ??
Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: November 30, 2016 23:24

So, I received an early Christmas gift of a record player.

As I was testing it out today I decided to play The Beatles 'Red Album'
On Side 3 at the beginning there is about 9 seconds of horns & sitar & a quick guitar riff/run that slightly resembles 'Title 5'..

My question is: What is this from? I've never heard this anywhere. ???

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Re: The Beatles - 9 seconds ??
Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: November 30, 2016 23:51

If it's before Help, it's the "James Bond Theme" (from the Capitol North American version of the "Help!" LP).

video: [www.youtube.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8485868788899091929394...LastNext
Current Page: 89 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home