Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 223
Re: OT : AUCTION ... NASTY 1971 Letter From John to Paul About Breaking Up
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:53

schillid
Redhotcarpet
"I took Ry Cooder for everything I could get" Keith Richards

Wondering what Ry Cooder and Keith Richards have do to with this

I dont get it either

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: November 15, 2016 18:54

mickschix
I have a totally different slant on this! I'm amazed by the anti-John vibe here. John was in LOVE, no matter what any of us THINK about Yoko, it was real to John. He did not get a lot of respect back then concerning Yoko...I am not a fan of Yoko's but really, to not understand things from Johns' perspective is a bit narrow-minded, don't you think? I adore Paul, then & now, but he was a bit arrogant and high & mighty back then.
They were so YOUNG, and shared so much, it's a shame to see this kind of nastiness. A good read, however. Very enlightening indeed.

The word adore on music forums is starting to challenge brilliant as the most overused. It too has lost its meaning.

If John didn't like the way Yoko was treated then write a letter expressing it and stay away from the other nasty nonsense. The problem with John and Yoko is they were totally self absorbed ( like nobody I have ever seen ) and expected everyone else to be impressed with their crap. It was nasty letter and was typical for Lennon. he was a nasty guy who would flip out at any small slight. he has issues.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 15, 2016 19:00

The Beatles will always reign supreme despite the squabbling amongst themselves pre and post breakup.
The groundbreaking music they accomplished in such a short period (and the resulting phenomenon) is what will always be remembered for.
Trailblazers for all that followed...

With that said, Lennon could be a dick.
Musically speaking he's always been my favorite Beatle, but I wouldn't have wanted to be his friend.
I love George, and it might have been fun to smoke a joint with him, but the following conversation might have been too 'out there' for me.
Paul - great music (albeit some of it really sappy), but way too full of himself....never could have hung out with him.
Ringo...'fun loving and lovable'...'peace and love'...blah, blah, blah...no thank you please.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: November 15, 2016 19:08

schillid
Redhotcarpet

Because Lennon wrote this letter after jamming with Ry Cooder and getting some ideas.
winking smiley

Posted by: stone66 ()
Date: November 15, 2016 19:29

The trouble with being so huge and iconic in one's time is that it leaves your entire life open to public scrutiny and judgement, so much so that even after your dead some hatchet-wielding slob like Albert Goldman will be making a buck off your name.

Some even get so high and mighty that they say "...but I wouldn't want to hang out with him". Like that would ever even happen! News flash: People at close proximity are never the same as they appear from a distance. Very few celebrities we admire would ever make a good close personal friend -- what would there be in common? Best to just enjoy what they gave -- their body of work -- and leave their personal lives to those who actually knew them, since you and I were never a part of their personal life experience to begin with.

Lennon self-absorbed? Oh, and I'm certain that term would never apply to a certain Mick Jagger or Keith Richards.

Alas, Beatle-related threads never do well on such a reactionary Stones board as this.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 15, 2016 19:32

dcba
Poor John he really hated everyone... while "selling" hismelf as a peace-loving hippie. cool smiley

Ain't that the truth...is everything packaged with artificial ingredients?

Date: November 15, 2016 19:42

stone66
The trouble with being so huge and iconic in one's time is that it leaves your entire life open to public scrutiny and judgement, so much so that even after your dead some hatchet-wielding slob like Albert Goldman will be making a buck off your name.

Some even get so high and mighty that they say "...but I wouldn't want to hang out with him". Like that would ever even happen! News flash: People at close proximity are never the same as they appear from a distance. Very few celebrities we admire would ever make a good close personal friend -- what would there be in common? Best to just enjoy what they gave -- their body of work -- and leave their personal lives to those who actually knew them, since you and I were never a part of their personal life experience to begin with.

Lennon self-absorbed? Oh, and I'm certain that term would never apply to a certain Mick Jagger or Keith Richards.

Alas, Beatle-related threads never do well on such a reactionary Stones board as this.

Newsflash: Party pooper.

"People at close proximity are never the same as they appear from a distance".

Never the same? Wrong. There are many people who are just as real in person/up close as they are from a distance. Perhaps you haven't met any?

"Very few celebrities we admire would ever make a good close personal friend -- what would there be in common"?

Uhhh...if we're speaking about musicians, maybe music?

"Best to just enjoy what they gave -- their body of work -- and leave their personal lives to those who actually knew them, since you and I were never a part of their personal life experience to begin with".

Agree to a certain extent, but the fact is their lives are literally an open book - that goes with the territory of being a well known celebrity.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 15, 2016 19:44

So what is the letter from Paul he is responding to?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 01:26 by Koen.

Date: November 15, 2016 20:05

Hairball
The Beatles will always reign supreme despite the squabbling amongst themselves pre and post breakup.
The groundbreaking music they accomplished in such a short period (and the resulting phenomenon) is what will always be remembered for.
Trailblazers for all that followed...

With that said, Lennon could be a dick.
Musically speaking he's always been my favorite Beatle, but I wouldn't have wanted to be his friend.
I love George, and it might have been fun to smoke a joint with him, but the following conversation might have been too 'out there' for me.
Paul - great music (albeit some of it really sappy), but way too full of himself....never could have hung out with him.
Ringo...'fun loving and lovable'...'peace and love'...blah, blah, blah...no thank you please.

I think John and George were just nasty from everything I have seen. I have seen Mick Jagger agree with this.

I agree with your take on Ringo. But I have never understood why anyone had a negative impression of Paul. Besides a small amount of Beatles stuff I don't like him musically at all but he always seemed like a nice guy from everything I have seen.

And yes I know we can only go by what we know about them.

The difference between Paul and John. Same opinion but one totally nasty and overboard about it and one trying to be as respectful as possible.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-15 20:08 by stanlove.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 15, 2016 20:39

More Hot Rocks
schillid
Redhotcarpet

I dont get it either

It's my signature, it appears on all my posts.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 15, 2016 21:00

If this letter was never actually sent then it's truely a shame it was released
for the public to see. Takes a sad song and makes it worse.

If the letter was in 1971 than this was about the time John wrote and recorded
"how do you sleep" which is a track on John's Imagine album. This track was about Paul and is in a similar tone as this letter.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 15, 2016 21:10

Redhotcarpet
More Hot Rocks
schillid
Redhotcarpet

I dont get it either

Yes I know ...I remember asking you to put a line before your signature.....so I don't have to read it over and over again grinning smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 15, 2016 21:17

stanlove
I think John and George were just nasty from everything I have seen. I have seen Mick Jagger agree with this.

I agree with your take on Ringo. But I have never understood why anyone had a negative impression of Paul. Besides a small amount of Beatles stuff I don't like him musically at all but he always seemed like a nice guy from everything I have seen.

I don't agree that George was nasty. I've never heard that. As for Paul, I agree with you, although I understand why some maybe feel that way. He seems like a really nice guy, but I feel, especially since like 1989, he's become a larger than life figure and he acts that way. There's this air of "I'm a god" which I don't think he purposefully gives off but just happened after being loved for so many years. He kinds of seems to be above things. It could be a total misread on my part, and its not how I judge him, but I definitely do think he has this "holier than thou" attitude at times that I think is unintentional but just ingrained now. Seems like a really nice guy though, for all he's been through.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 15, 2016 21:34

NICOS
Redhotcarpet
More Hot Rocks
schillid
Redhotcarpet

I dont get it either

Yes I know ...I remember asking you to put a line before your signature.....so I don't have to read it over and over again grinning smiley

I just added a line in my signature............

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 15, 2016 22:23

stanlove
Hairball

First off, anyone who has been immensely successful, vastly rich and obviously sensationally gifted and in the public eye since their 20's is bound to be a bit "different" to the rest of us.

That said, my own first hand personal knowledge of Paul has left me with a very positive impression of his personality and his genuine concern for his fan base.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 16, 2016 00:30

CaptainCorella
stanlove

First off, anyone who has been immensely successful, vastly rich and obviously sensationally gifted and in the public eye since their 20's is bound to be a bit "different" to the rest of us.

That said, my own first hand personal knowledge of Paul has left me with a very positive impression of his personality and his genuine concern for his fan base.

Fixed your quote Captain, as stanlove's reply above was accidentally attributed to me.

Date: November 16, 2016 01:16

Hairball

Fixed your quote Captain, as stanlove's reply above was accidentally attributed to me.

Sorry. My bad. I still find the multiple nested quotes on IORR hard to edit out, and their geometrically expanding nature in long(er) topic is more than a little vexing. IMHO of course.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 16, 2016 02:23

RollingFreak
stanlove

I don't agree that George was nasty. I've never heard that..

f you didn't know George was nasty then you didn't pay much attention. I have seen Jagger mention that also. he said something like for a guy who likes to play of the peace think he was difficult and argumentative.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 16, 2016 02:30

stanlove
RollingFreak
stanlove

I don't agree that George was nasty. I've never heard that..

f you didn't know George was nasty then you didn't pay much attention. I have seen Jagger mention that also. he said something like for a guy who likes to play of the peace think he was difficult and argumentative.

Had never heard that. Not saying its wrong, just never heard it. But I also don't read Beatles books. All I know is Jagger portrays him as a quiet nice guy in that Hall Of Fame induction. "You're not gonna say anything bad about me are you?"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 16, 2016 02:32

stanlove

The problem with John and Yoko is they were totally self absorbed ( like nobody I have ever seen )

You knew them personally, then?

ETA: Count me among those who never heard George described as nasty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-16 02:41 by Aquamarine.

Date: November 16, 2016 18:37

Aquamarine
stanlove

The problem with John and Yoko is they were totally self absorbed ( like nobody I have ever seen )

Shut up. That gets old. There is a ton of statements by them, tons of interviews by them, tons of songs by them, tons of things written about them. Get tired of that silly argument that you can't know someone at all with all of that stuff.

If you are not aware that John Lennon was self absorbed then there is nothing much left to say to you, you are just silly.

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Date: November 16, 2016 21:58

To me Lennon came of mainly as very insecure; and probably lost. All that jumping from one bandwagon to another is someone who is searching. And all that nasty comments about Paul and the Beatles...I mean, it was John after all, who was keeping tabs on who wrote each word, and each note. That is someone insecure.
But since he found himself in a position of power all his jabs came off as a lot more powerful than they were.
It's so f*cked up what happened because one can tell from the last interviews, videos, music that he had found some serenity.

But like someone else said here - I also thought that George came off as bitter re. anything Beatles. In those clips when Paul, Ringo and George got together to finish those two Lennon songs, George looks like some peed in his Wheaties.

OT: The Beatles Love in Vegas
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: November 16, 2016 18:48

I had the good fortune to spend a few quick nights in Vegas this weekend, and went to see Cirque du Soleil's production of The Beatles Love at the Mirage. WOW. What a show. A couple parts didn't quite work for me, but overall - like most of the Cirque shows I've seen over the years - it was just amazing. I know some Beatles 'purists' might object to what they have done with the music (several of the songs are sort of 'mash ups' combining two or more Beatles tunes), but I thought that part was fine. There's even an almost acoustic version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps that is one of the more beautiful moments in the show.
Sadly, I didn't get to Vegas a few weeks ago when the Wed. show got cancelled (I heard about if just as I was getting ready to head to the airport) - and the touristy magazine at my hotel with the Stones on the cover was salt on a still open wound.
But anyway - if you find yourself in Sin City, go see Love. It's all you need. ;-)

Re: OT: The Beatles Love in Vegas
Posted by: virgil ()
Date: November 16, 2016 19:31

My wife and I saw it when we were in Vegas for the Stones, It was awesome I would highly recommend it. As DEmerson mentioned I was not that excited about the way they mixed some of the songs and they also played a few songs that I absolutely hate. Their were also songs that were not used that surprised me.

Anyway my sister who has seen this show six times gave me some good advice.
Buy the cheapeast seats and sit up high it's a much better visual. The place is not that big so even up top your pretty close.

Re: OT: The Beatles Love in Vegas
Date: November 16, 2016 21:51

virgil
My wife and I saw it when we were in Vegas for the Stones, It was awesome I would highly recommend it. As DEmerson mentioned I was not that excited about the way they mixed some of the songs and they also played a few songs that I absolutely hate. Their were also songs that were not used that surprised me.

Anyway my sister who has seen this show six times gave me some good advice.
Buy the cheapeast seats and sit up high it's a much better visual. The place is not that big so even up top your pretty close.

Very good advice from your sister! Another hint is that if you sit back in your seat you'll get the benefit of the built in speakers in the headrests.

Totally brilliant.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: November 16, 2016 23:56

I could be wrong, but I think it was George Martin who mixed the songs specifically for the show - with approval from Paul McCartney and Ringo (and Yoko?). I also think the entire Cirque/Beatles idea was the brainchild of George Harrison before he died. I bought the LOVE cd when released at the time the Cirque show was still new after seeing it in 2006 (or 2007?), and listened once or twice. It's more of a novelty which works well within the show itself, but outside of that it's unnecessary.

Date: November 17, 2016 00:41

Hairball
I could be wrong, but I think it was George Martin who mixed the songs specifically for the show - with approval from Paul McCartney and Ringo (and Yoko?). I also think the entire Cirque/Beatles idea was the brainchild of George Harrison before he died. I bought the LOVE cd when released at the time the Cirque show was still new after seeing it in 2006 (or 2007?), and listened once or twice. It's more of a novelty which works well within the show itself, but outside of that it's unnecessary.

It originated from George's friendship with the bloke who founded Cirque. Then when he died, Dani took over "driving" it. The music was mixed by GILES Martin - by that time George's hearing was as good as gone.

There's a great documentary about it... in it Giles talks about taking ALL of the individual Beatles tracks, digitising them, and having them accessible by tempo - which obviously helps blend tracks together.

It had, and has, the support of Paul, Ringo, Yoko and Olivia. They were at the opening just over 10 years ago, and were again there (with Giles) at the 10 year anniversary a few weeks ago. (Everything, but everything, issued by The Beatles needs the unanimous approval of the above four. It's always been like that, so that probably explains the lack of 'Let it Be' - which is a shame as the whole rooftop concert is great fun.)

It really is a special show.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 17, 2016 00:59

OFF TOPIC.

thumbs down

Please change the title of this thread.

THE RUTLES vs THE BEATLES - and other Rutles stuff.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 17, 2016 01:10

RipThisBone
OFF TOPIC.

thumbs down

Please change the title of this thread.

THE RUTLES vs THE BEATLES - and other Rutles stuff.

Rutles vs Stones
[www.youtube.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: November 17, 2016 01:12

stanlove
Aquamarine
stanlove

Shut up. That gets old. There is a ton of statements by them, tons of interviews by them, tons of songs by them, tons of things written about them. Get tired of that silly argument that you can't know someone at all with all of that stuff.

If you are not aware that John Lennon was self absorbed then there is nothing much left to say to you, you are just silly.

Excuse me?? You may or may not believe what you read, to the extent of being able to compare levels of self-absorption among strangers, and we can disagree about it--but telling another poster to shut up is about as low as it gets.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...8384858687888990919293...LastNext
Current Page: 88 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home