Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 224
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 25, 2016 11:32

up until august -66 they were a pretty good live-band...they kind of quitted the live-thing after that...please tell Keith...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 25, 2016 12:46

I think they were an excellent live band until they started filming A Hard Days Night. That break for filming was the longest they went without playing gigs for years and they never recovered from it. The reduced, repetitive setlists and the mania that surrounded them with people not listening and them not being able to hear themselves all contributed to their live performances going downhill.
Their live shows just became personal appearances by a human jukebox rather than music events.
The Atlanta 65 show is interesting because they can actually hear themselves and they get really excited actually commenting to each other about it...iirc they blew their voices and the next day in Houston it shows.
I wish there were more early club shows available of the Beatles and The Stones for the early years.
If The Beatles had started playing concerts again in 1969 they would have been brilliant. Look at the rooftop concert - after a month of bickering, heroin and depression and walk-outs, almost out of nowhere they play a great set. Listening to that month's rehearsals (a deeply painful experience!) you wouldn't dream that they could get it together but they did.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 25, 2016 13:14

I think you nailed it Ash. But there is the Swedish TV show that sounds pretty good. Maybe they'll get around to releasing it someday. Still, I'm expecting this new version of Hollywood Bowl to be somewhat great. Can't believe they'd put it out otherwise.

Date: July 25, 2016 14:48

yep, the Swedish show is from Oct 1963.
I am a Fab fanatic but can't get excited about the Hollywood Bowl. Boys and Long Tall Sally from 64 are outstanding but the rest is not great or interesting imo.
I wonder if Apple will ever decide to cater for Beatle fans rather than the general public who don't care that much anymore ? Personally the most interesting live shows to hear would be things like Paul's July 62 Cavern reel to reel, the Star Club and the 1963 shows. A desk tape of a mid 63 concert was bought a few years back at auction by Apple.
The Quarrymen tape from the day John met Paul is also a key document.
The Beatles and The Stones are being badly let down by their 1960s back catalogue policy. Charlie Is My Darling was great and to a lesser extent so was RnR Circus (could've had more outtakes) but their live and studio outs and radio sessions have not been well served. Dylan and The Beach Boys people have the right idea.

Date: July 25, 2016 16:36

Great, didn't know about a desk tape from 1963, or the fact Paul has a reel to reel tape from The Cavern. Do you think there's a tape from The Quarrymen's first date? That would be crazy cool. I agree about Charlie Is My Darling. I think it's the best document of early Stones. Got Live EP is pretty great too. Maybe they can work some new technology magic on some of the early Stones tapes and surprise us.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: July 25, 2016 18:00

Come On
up until august -66 they were a pretty good live-band...they kind of quitted the live-thing after that...please tell Keith...

I am a huge Stones fan and not much of a Beatles fan anymore, but I think the Beatles were a better live band then the Stones through 1966. The only advantage the Stones had was Jagger's showmanship.

The Stones were not very good live until 1969.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 25, 2016 19:13

stanlove
Come On

I am a huge Stones fan and not much of a Beatles fan anymore, but I think the Beatles were a better live band then the Stones through 1966. The only advantage the Stones had was Jagger's showmanship.

Though didn't see either band live in their heydey (the 1960s), I've seen plenty of old clips via youtube. And based on those youtube clips can't agree with you on the Stones not being good live band till 1969. The Stones got to be noticed (for contract recordings) because of their distinctive live act.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: July 25, 2016 20:12

I suspect that the best years of the Beatles as a live band were when they played the Cavern and Hamburg, prellied out of their skulls before Epstein suited and booted them and made them bow to the audience after each song.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: July 25, 2016 21:07

Horrid bowing.

Date: July 25, 2016 21:56

nightskyman
stanlove
Come On

Though didn't see either band live in their heydey (the 1960s), I've seen plenty of old clips via youtube. And based on those youtube clips can't agree with you on the Stones not being good live band till 1969. The Stones got to be noticed (for contract recordings) because of their distinctive live act.

Could you show me some great performances from the Stones before 1969?

Date: July 25, 2016 22:27

I suspect that we are unlikely to see/hear "really good" pre 69 Stones shows because lugging reel to reels to early concert venues was out of the question and as with the Fab4, the madness of the 64 to 66/7 years meant concert broadcasts were frequently poorly balanced like the TV shows and radio sessions often were.
I believe there are a couple of 1963-ish shows on reel to reel that Mick bought at auction.
Would love to hear those Mick.
On the assumption that I'm Movin On from the ep is actually 100% live, the Stones sound absolutely smokin' hot on that.
It is a great shame that the very early live appearances by the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Johnny Kidd and The Pirates, The Shadows (and Cliff) and all those other fabulous British bands are so poorly documented.
I know people who saw the Beatles early on (62-63) who said they were phenomenal.
Personally I love the Star Club tapes, prellied, punky, drunk and Ringo.
Don't know anyone who saw the Stones 63-64 but i bet they were bloody great too in a small club.
Oh for a time machine, iphone and a few nights at the Cavern and Crawdaddy !

Date: July 25, 2016 22:31

ash
I suspect that we are unlikely to see/hear "really good" pre 69 Stones shows because lugging reel to reels to early concert venues was out of the question and as with the Fab4, the madness of the 64 to 66/7 years meant concert broadcasts were frequently poorly balanced like the TV shows and radio sessions often were.
I believe there are a couple of 1963-ish shows on reel to reel that Mick bought at auction.
Would love to hear those Mick.
On the assumption that I'm Movin On from the ep is actually 100% live, the Stones sound absolutely smokin' hot on that.
It is a great shame that the very early live appearances by the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who, Johnny Kidd and The Pirates, The Shadows (and Cliff) and all those other fabulous British bands are so poorly documented.
I know people who saw the Beatles early on (62-63) who said they were phenomenal.
Personally I love the Star Club tapes, prellied, punky, drunk and Ringo.
Don't know anyone who saw the Stones 63-64 but i bet they were bloody great too in a small club.
Oh for a time machine, iphone and a few nights at the Cavern and Crawdaddy !

There is some Stones performances out there from 1967 and I don't think their performances are impressive at all.

THis is just one example.

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-07-25 22:32 by stanlove.

Date: July 25, 2016 22:39

and as far as bowing goes, yes it sucks but you have to remember what the scene in England was at the time and the games you had to play to "make it".
Even the Stones did the suit thing for a bit and even (an admittedly brilliant) breakfast cereal jingle !
Cliff and The Shads, Billy Fury, Shane Fenton et al. not only had to wear suits, bow etc... they had to move their music to the middle of the road away from that rock n roll stuff despite their initial success. Only Johnny Kidd stuck to his guns and pursued R 'n' B and RnR with a bit of pop thrown in and he paid for that in terms of chart success.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 25, 2016 23:05

It's very easy for anyone of us to say that we like or don't like certain performances of the Stones based on what we listen on bootlegs or watch on YouTube or DVDs. But those who were actually there (and we have a lot of users here on IORR who were there) might have a different opinion.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: July 26, 2016 00:26

Believe me, I saw the Stones in 1963 and 1965 in Bradford. They blew everyone else off the stage.
Little Richard, Everly Brothers, Bob Diddley....huge Acts at the time.
You had to be there.

Date: July 26, 2016 03:16

awesome. i'm seriously jealous !!

Date: July 27, 2016 00:01

stanlove
nightskyman
stanlove
Come On

Could you show me some great performances from the Stones before 1969?

Obviously I can't show you. However there's plenty of good performances (not lip synched) on youtube and some BBC performances that are equal to the Beatles from roughly same era. These would be pre-1969.

And there's got to be a lot more that were not recorded or filmed that you've never seen. In addition, there's the legendary year of 1963..no one will ever get to see those except from the memories shared here frome those that were there.

You're statement implies that Brian Jones, Keith, Charlie, Bill...none of them were any good (until 1969?).

Date: July 27, 2016 00:09

Rare Lost Beatles Demo For It's For You Found!

Every now and again we come across a real treasure for our auction and it really does take our breath away. This year we are extremely excited to have stumbled across a piece of Beatles history.

Back in 1964 the Lennon/McCartney song “It’s For You” was written especially for Cilla Black and Paul McCartney recorded a demo acetate that he sent round to the London Palladium for her to listen to. (This is mentioned in Cilla’s autobiography). Since then the whereabouts of this acetate has been unknown.

Well, until now that is.

Mislabelled in a collection of other acetates as being by Cilla this super-rare recording has resurfaced and will be up for sale in our annual Liverpool Beatle Memorabilia Auction on 27th August this year.

We could hardly believe it when we played through the collection of Cilla demos we had taken in for the auction and came across Paul’s voice.

This is an important, and previously considered lost, piece of musical history. It is expected to sell for £15,000 - £20,000, perhaps even more.

To preserve the value of the item we can only provide a 20 second clip of the recording. You can hear Paul introduce the song with the words “It’s For You take one” at the beginning.

Cilla’s version features Paul on piano and the single peaked at number 7 in the charts.

[www.beatlesauction.co.uk]

Date: July 27, 2016 02:01

Wow, this is great news. Always nice to know when a treasure like this has been discovered. Hope we can all hear it some time soon.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 27, 2016 02:25

Love to hear the whole version..............................

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 5, 2016 14:50

50 Years ago today -- on August 5, 1966 the Beatles released their 7th Studio-Album 'Revolver':

Wikipedia: Revolver

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 5, 2016 16:38

Irix
50 Years ago today -- on August 5, 1966 the Beatles released their 7th Studio-Album 'Revolver':

Wikipedia: Revolver

Jeeze I remember it as it was yesterday I Heard it for the first time....George Sitar-track (4) was my first favorite I remember...

2 1 2 0

Date: August 8, 2016 22:47

Shea Stadium gig to screen as part of theatrical release of The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years

The restored, remastered Shea Stadium performance will screen as part of the worldwide theatrical release of Academy Award®-winner Ron Howard’s authorized documentary feature film

The Beatles - Eight Days a Week - Theatrical Trailer

The Beatles played Shea Stadium on August 15th 1965 in what was to be the first rock concert ever staged in a stadium in front of more than 55,000 people. The event was filmed using fourteen 35mm cameras by Ed Sullivan Productions and Brian Epstein and for the very first time, the fully restored, remastered, 30-minute performance will be available to screen as part of the worldwide theatrical release of Academy Award®-winner Ron Howard’s authorized documentary feature film, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years.
Only available in theatres, the 4K restoration with sound remastered at Abbey Road Studios by Giles Martin and Sam Okell, includes performances of the classic songs such as “A Hard Day’s Night,” “I’m Down,” and “Dizzy Miss Lizzy.”
Part of the theatrical release package also includes an opportunity to use your original Beatles concert ticket stub from the 1960s for a chance to win a free ticket for the US theatrical release of the film. For more information, visit www.thebeatleseightdaysaweek.com.
Apple Corps Ltd., White Horse Pictures and Imagine Entertainment also launched a new trailer for the film heading to theatres September 15th through Richard Abramowitz’s Abramorama. Hulu is the presenting partner for the theatrical release of the film.
Featuring rare and exclusive footage, the film is produced with the full cooperation of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison. White Horse Pictures’ Grammy Award-winning Nigel Sinclair, Scott Pascucci and Academy Award®-winner and Emmy® Award-winner Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment are producing with Howard. Apple Corps Ltd.’s Jeff Jones and Jonathan Clyde are serving as executive producers, along with Imagine’s Michael Rosenberg and White Horse’s Guy East and Nicholas Ferrall. Also executive producing is the film’s award-winning editor Paul Crowder and Crowder’s long-time collaborator, Mark Monroe, who is also serving as writer. Marc Ambrose is the supervising producer.
The project was originally brought to Apple Corps by One Voice One World. OVOW’s Matthew White, Stuart Samuels, and Bruce Higham are co-producing the film.
Studiocanal and PolyGram Entertainment are anchor partners on the film, having acquired U.K., France, Germany and Australia and New Zealand rights.
The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years is based on the first part of The Beatles’ career (1962-1966) – the period in which they toured and captured the world’s acclaim. Ron Howard’s film will explore how John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr came together to become this extraordinary phenomenon, “The Beatles.” It will delve into their inner workings – how they made decisions, created their music and built their collective career together – all the while, highlighting The Beatles’ extraordinary and unique musical gifts and their remarkable, complementary personalities. The film will focus on the time period from the early Beatles’ journey in the days of The Cavern Club in Liverpool to their last concert at Candlestick Park in San Francisco in 1966.
Shea Stadium Set list
Twist and Shout
She’s a Woman
I Feel Fine
Dizzy Miss Lizzy
Ticket to Ride
Everybody’s Trying To Be My Baby
Baby’s in Black
Act Naturally
A Hard Day’s Night
Help!
I’m Down

[thebeatleseightdaysaweek.com]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: August 10, 2016 00:48

okay, this is "freakin' me out!" have NEVER seen this connection displayed anywhere. this is unbelievable. also, perfect fake college lecture discussion, "the beatles were better at being the rolling stones than the rolling stones. discuss". the only thing you can do is say a prayer.

[i55.photobucket.com]

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 10, 2016 10:43

Notice 'White Horse Pictures' and "Imagine Entertainment'.
Wonder what inspired the names.

Date: August 10, 2016 19:19

Paul McCartney Looks Back: The Rolling Stone Interview

Ex-Beatle reflects on Yoko, Kanye and why no one could replace John Lennon

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: August 10, 2016 20:03

I really feel like writing my own book and dispelling all these silly comparisons.
Most of these comparisons are so ridiculous I can't even believe people actually believe them. When I read blogs from people like Jake Pollard and see the responses on Youtube, I am amazed.

Sincerely
SOULSURVIVOR

Date: August 15, 2016 19:23

This is probably one of the coolest fan stories I've ever read. grinning smiley

Their goal: Meet the Beatles on tour in 1966. Their solution: Impersonate the opening act.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: August 16, 2016 23:39

"Ringo Starr is the first Beatle to become a great-grandfather
Tatia Starkey gave birth to baby boy Stone Zakomo Low on August 14"

They named him Stone. ha that's great. Blessings to all involved.

[www.nme.com]

Posted by: Toxic34 ()
Date: August 17, 2016 02:10

I'm looking forward to the release of the Eight Days A Week film, though I hope we will have releases besides Hulu. What are the odds that we'll have a DVD and Blu-ray release? Oh, wait, it's a certainty if it has to do with The Beatles. The fact that the Shea Stadium concert in its entirety will shown is wonderful, as is the simultaneous remastered released of the Hollywood Bowl with 4 bonus songs. Next to Let It Be, these are the biggest things Beatles fans have been waiting for!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7980818283848586878889...LastNext
Current Page: 84 of 224

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1389
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home