Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Linda Ronstadt Book
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 3, 2013 08:49

Interest in Linda Ronstadt on this site I think is very interesting ... I might think that Dolly Parton is at least as good and that Lucinda Williams is a superstar in pure comparison...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 3, 2013 09:42

Come On
Interest in Linda Ronstadt on this site I think is very interesting ... I might think that Dolly Parton is at least as good and that Lucinda Williams is a superstar in pure comparison...

Dolly never guested with the Stones or covered their songs, though winking smiley

Date: October 3, 2013 10:56

DandelionPowderman
Come On

Dolly never guested with the Stones or covered their songs, though winking smiley

AHAAAAH. ...Is that why she is popular here ... She has done a cover of a Stones song. ...It's actually nice that Dolly hasn't ... winking smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 3, 2013 11:49

Come On
DandelionPowderman
Come On

AHAAAAH. ...Is that why she is popular here ... She has done a cover of a Stones song. ...It's actually nice that Dolly hasn't ... winking smiley

She also guested on the 78 tour on Tumblin' Dice thumbs up

Date: October 3, 2013 12:02

...and most of all also wearing hot-pants huh! tongue sticking out smiley

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: October 3, 2013 12:17

grinning smiley

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 3, 2013 18:08

stonesrule
He's mentioned in passing only.

I can't recall any "chick" of that time who was more dedicated to her sense of work and desire to improve.

Emmylou Harris?

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: October 3, 2013 18:39

loog droog
stonesrule

I can't recall any "chick" of that time who was more dedicated to her sense of work and desire to improve.

Emmylou Harris?

Joni Mitchell?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 3, 2013 19:07

I can't take Dolly Parton seriously, I'm sorry. I like Jolene and Nine to Five, though.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 3, 2013 19:14

Claire_M
loog droog
stonesrule

Emmylou Harris?

Joni Mitchell?

Ginger Lynn?

Date: October 3, 2013 19:21

Elmo Lewis

Emmylou Harris?

Joni Mitchell?[/quote]

Ginger Lynn?[/quote]

Diana Ross?

Date: October 3, 2013 20:18

Tina Turner?
Lucinda? (A bit later, though)

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 3, 2013 21:54

Come On

I wasn't listening to my sister's Lucinda Williams albums when I was 12 years old in 1978 or whatever...
Many of us grew up when Linda was a big star and have very fond memories of her music and what it meant in our lives.
If it wasn't for Linda, I would never have discovered the Stones...or Emmylou and Dolly for that matter.
and others were introduced to songwriters she sang the praises of etc...
I never understood why Linda didn't get the credit she deserved because she didn't write her own hits.
Tina, Emmylou...they were not known as songwriters either...
Linda had massive mainstream success and so she defined much of that era for some of us.
She was the it girl of rock in mainstream radio from 75-78..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-03 21:56 by stupidguy2.

Date: October 3, 2013 22:06

Nice post, stupidguy2. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about country or country-rock music, but Ronstadt really speaks to me. I became aware of her through an appearance on the Johnny Cash Show. I was blown away by the purity of her voice and how she looked. She had a 'coolness'about her circa 1969-70. I was a fan instantly.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: October 3, 2013 22:10

stupidguy2
Come On

I wasn't listening to my sister's Lucinda Williams albums when I was 12 years old in 1978 or whatever...
Many of us grew up when Linda was a big star and have very fond memories of her music and what it meant in our lives.
If it wasn't for Linda, I would never have discovered the Stones...or Emmylou and Dolly for that matter.
and others were introduced to songwriters she sang the praises of etc...
I never understood why Linda didn't get the credit she deserved because she didn't write her own hits.
Tina, Emmylou...they were not known as songwriters either...
Linda had massive mainstream success and so she defined much of that era for some of us.
She was the it girl of rock in mainstream radio from 75-78..

Says it all. thumbs up

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 3, 2013 23:50

I admire the fact that Linda always stayed true to her Mexican roots and admiration for many Mexican musicians and singers. I recall thinking in her early LA career that she must be somewhat of an airhead. In reading her book, I learned how wrong my first impression had been.

Date: October 4, 2013 06:44

Big Al
Nice post, stupidguy2. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about country or country-rock music, but Ronstadt really speaks to me. I became aware of her through an appearance on the Johnny Cash Show. I was blown away by the purity of her voice and how she looked. She had a 'coolness'about her circa 1969-70. I was a fan instantly.

I remember looking at the inside cover of Simple Dreams...the photo of the band, and Linda sitting on the giant amp case....she seemed so cool and like one of the guys, which made her even sexier. She wasn't 'prim and proper' - there was an cool swagger in her demeanor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-04 06:46 by stupidguy2.

Date: October 4, 2013 06:55

DandelionPowderman
Come On

And they were never as countrified/funky as this.
*I just found out she dated Jim Carey in the mid-80s...
I also remember her dating Albert Brooks in the 70s...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 4, 2013 06:59

All these constant "comparisons" on IORR...Isn't it alright to enjoy numerous lady singers?

Date: October 4, 2013 08:12

I have an answer to how it is possible that Linda Ronstadt is popular even among Rolling Stones Fans ...Thank You!

smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Date: October 4, 2013 10:58

stonesrule
All these constant "comparisons" on IORR...Isn't it alright to enjoy numerous lady singers?

Absolutely, but this time you started the comparison by saying:
"I can't recall any "chick" of that time who was more dedicated to her sense of work and desire to improve"

The first thing I thought about when reading that was "who were the other dedicated singers/artists at the time"? smiling smiley

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: October 4, 2013 16:25

stonesrule

True - lots of good ones.

BTW, Ginger Lynn was not a singer but, I like the way she held a "microphone"..... drinking smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home