Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Marianne
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 10, 2013 19:54

WENN, Monday, September 9, 2013, 12:01am (PDT)
• Marianne Faithfull has shattered her 1960s sex kitten reputation, insisting she was disgusted by men when she was younger.
RELATED: 2013's biggest breakups so far
The singer-songwriter was linked to rockers including Sir Mick Jagger and David Bowie in the '60s, but admits she needed drugs or alcohol before she could be physically intimate with a partner.

Speaking on BBC TV series "Who Do You Think You Are?," Faithfull explains, "I think my mother and her unconscious and unspoken loathing of men had a huge effect on me. It was a big problem for me in the Sixties, especially as I had to pretend that everything was so wonderful, wild and sexual. But it really wasn't."
• She continued, "It took me years, until the time I got to 50 or so, before I could be in a relationship and love and not have to take drink or drugs to have sex."
RELATED: Shocking celebrity couples
Faithfull also romanced Rolling Stones legends Keith Richards and Brian Jones, but admits her relationship with Sir Mick was the most difficult to get over.
In the show, due to air in the U.K. on Sept. 18, she says, "He loved me and I loved him. I just walked away. I don't really know why. I had to move on. Of course it was very, very hard because I loved him."
Faithfull began dating the Rolling Stones frontman in the late '60s, but she ended the relationship in 1970 after miscarrying his child.

Re: Marianne
Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: September 10, 2013 20:01

Cafaro
but she ended the relationship in 1970 after miscarrying his child.
did not know this

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: September 10, 2013 20:07

Just saw this today: [www.telegraph.co.uk]

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: September 10, 2013 20:13

I'm sure people here have read her book. I'm at the chapters about the "bust".
The part about MJ wanting to have a go on KR made me cringe. I also finding the mixing of French phrases into sentences pretentious. It's weird how she says now that she didn't really like sex cuz in the book she doesn't come across like that.

I read it for 5-10 minutes and then put it down and wonder why I spent $5.00 on it.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 10, 2013 20:49

I saw a notice on some website about this..the photo of her with it was ...really strange...

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 10, 2013 21:40

Is she one of the saddest stories in rock and roll? In terms of women? She was really was one of the most beautiful women ever, with an amazing voice, and then just ruined all of that.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 11, 2013 03:41

I think Faithfull is a fairly good book, as honest as you can expect in an autobiography. Cafaro, you are right..in the book, Marianne says she really enjoyed sexual experimentation, particularly during her time with Mick.

The Telegraph article does have a particular slant, the author obviously sees Marianne as a victim of the sexual revolution, exploited by men, coerced into promiscuity by all that free love jazz.

So, says the very sincere author, beware all you young women, or you too can turn out like sad Marianne. I'm not buying it...Marianne's troubles seem to stem from a lot of problems, not just her difficulty with sex, if that is to be believed.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: September 12, 2013 06:02

Always enjoyed her music....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 12, 2013 08:08

I don't get this "sad" angle -- she's still actively producing vital music.

Edited to add: and if you mean drugs, she most likely gave them up before any of the current Stones other than Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-12 08:11 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: September 12, 2013 08:14

Godxofxrock9
Cafaro
did not know this

"The baby's dead my lady said", refers to the event, I believe.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 12, 2013 08:43

Ah, nothing makes a man feel better than to know the reason his lover is so wild and open is because she was abused, and he's just taking advantage of her. We never hear from women who are sexually open and fun because they like being sexually open and fun. Ones that actually liked their fathers and had a good healthy relationship with their mother.

Marianne Faithful - Who do you think you are?
Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: September 12, 2013 15:17

Wednesday 18.9.2013 - 9.00 - 10 PM. BBC1

A genealogy series tracing various celebrities' family trees. This week, Marianne Faithful................

Re: Marianne Faithful - Who do you think you are?
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 12, 2013 20:41

EddieByword

Wednesday 18.9.2013 - 9.00 - 10 PM. BBC1

A genealogy series tracing various celebrities' family trees. This week, Marianne Faithful................

"Singer and '60s pop icon Marianne Faithfull had a difficult relationship with her mother, Eva. In this film Marianne investigates Eva's earlier life, as a dancer in 1920s Berlin- the era immortalised in the film Cabaret. Marianne also discovers her half-Jewish mother's precarious existence in Vienna during World War Two and investigates whether there is any truth in the rumour that the family was involved with the Austrian Resistance."

[www.bbc.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: September 24, 2013 12:13

I've never seen these photos

The Red Army rapists, an aborted baby and the horrors that made Marianne Faithfull hate sex for 30 years

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 26, 2013 11:45

Carnaby
Godxofxrock9
Cafaro
did not know this

"The baby's dead my lady said", refers to the event, I believe.

But Memo was recorded in 1968.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 26, 2013 11:57

The article's implication that she left Mick directly after the miscarriage is misleading -
the miscarriage was 1968, and they parted ways in 1969/70.

As for the conflicting statements about sex: Marianne always seems to say whatever any given interviewer wants her to say.
I find that trait of hers really annoying. I bet I'm not the only one :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 12:55 by with sssoul.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 26, 2013 13:01

RollingFreak
Is she one of the saddest stories in rock and roll? In terms of women? She was really was one of the most beautiful women ever, with an amazing voice, and then just ruined all of that.

Nope - She was a mediocre bimbo singer with a tiny, thin voice and stupid songs - and she became a powerful smart woman with powerful strong voice full of emotion, experience and guts - over the years marianne has become a true artist and not just some celebrity groupie hangin on Mick's arms. It's not the saddest story - it's one of the best and happiest stories ever told in rock n roll.

From a naive little pop celebrity groupie to becoming a real woman and a real artist - what more could you want.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-26 13:10 by seitan.

Date: September 26, 2013 14:04

As for the conflicting statements about sex: Marianne always seems to say whatever any given interviewer wants her to say.

Agree, Marianne seems to be easily led in an interview. On the other hand, she's rarely boring and predictable.

From a naive little pop celebrity groupie to becoming a real woman and a real artist - what more could you want.

Well, probably not the heroin addiction and health problems, but I get your drift. cool smiley

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 26, 2013 14:14

Marianne Faithful is probably what Nico would have been today if she had been living ...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: September 26, 2013 14:42

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 26, 2013 15:32

That footage of her in the beginning, in her school uniform (just like mine)!

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 30, 2013 22:36

Anyone who loves the RS' 'Golden Era' should really see this. Marianne was Mick's muse and inspired a great deal of his work at that time. Thanks to seitan for posting the link so those of us outside the UK could see it.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 30, 2013 23:10

Agree with www.soul.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 02:15

In her first memoir she said the first time she gave oral to a man was David Bowie when she was 28. I thought how bizarre that Mick—with all his options as a major 1960's sex symbol— would've tolerated that deprivation.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 04:22

stonesrule
Agree with www.soul.

Agree with stonesrule and with sssoul.

Date: October 1, 2013 14:07

stupidguy2
stonesrule
Agree with www.soul.

Agree with stonesrule and with sssoul and with stupidguy2.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:36

latebloomer
stupidguy2
stonesrule
Agree with www.soul.

Agree with stonesrule and with sssoul and with stupidguy2.

Agree with them guys.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:39

I don't see it that way.
I liked her book and I think she's quite open and honest and a good observer.

With such a life and drugs incl. you can forget some things or mix them up.
And reg. themes like sexuality it can take a lot of time to realize such problems and be honest to public - and yourself.

The rest may be business . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-01 15:53 by CousinC.

Posted by: Godxofxrock9 ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:43

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: October 1, 2013 15:56

There's quite a few pics from that day.I always thought Mick's hair was at the max than.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2008
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home