Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...184185186187188189190191192193194...LastNext
Current Page: 189 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: October 6, 2015 22:50

laertisflash
"...what's depressing is that albums don't sell anymore even if they reach number 4.."

That's right, keefriffhards. But in the era of downloading, I wonder whether the things could be different.

I hear you, and you're absolutely right, its a love hate relationship with the internet, its so insidious and seductive but it comes at a high price

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 6, 2015 23:14

# 3 in Amazon's top 10. Go Keef!

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 6, 2015 23:27

#3 on Amazon but #45 on Billboard, that's the importance of Amazon on the charts.

Date: October 6, 2015 23:38

georgelicks
#3 on Amazon but #45 on Billboard, that's the importance of Amazon on the charts.

Do you like this album yourself ? Just curious

Date: October 6, 2015 23:38

laertisflash
"Nothing On Me" sounds really good in my ears...

I favour other tracks like Heart Stopper, Robbed Blind, Suspicious, Illusion, Just a Gift, Lover´s Plea etc.

BUT
Nothing On Me
followed me night and day in my mind and ears, just after listening twice to the complete CD.
Should be the next single!!
I think it would get some pretty good attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 23:41 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Date: October 6, 2015 23:41

HMS
134,000 worldwide in the first two weeks is indeed depressing and sad. After the first hype is gone it will not be selling much more... It´s simply unbelievable that an artist of that calibre isnt able to sell more, I expectet 1,000,000+ worldwide at least... And you cant say the album had no promotion, there was even heavy promo going on in the days of its release. Keith can be lucky if he not loses money with Crosseyed Heart. That´s obviously the main reason why Mick Jagger hasnt released anything on his own since 2001. To get him actually in a studio to record a new Stones-album will be a hard task for Keith, when there is obviously no or almost no money to be made...

If you want to sell an album today you need:

1 - Radio Airplay
2 - Videos on Youtube
3 - TV/media appearence
4 - A Tour

Keith's album has no single on the radio now, never had a video on youtube, he spent, what? 10 minutes? on TV on a Friday night and, finally, he didn't play a single song from the album live.
How can you sell an album like that?
Giving magazzine interviews?

Date: October 6, 2015 23:43

keefriffhards
georgelicks

I love it, just hate the promo about it.
Where are the videos?
Where is the second single?

Date: October 6, 2015 23:44

..."never had a video" on youtube....????

Think you are wrong.

Besides that I think he took his freedom to just release the music he wanted to do, no matter how much it sells. Fortunately it´s appreciated very much and sells quite well, or am I wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 23:54 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Date: October 6, 2015 23:49

ThroughTheLonelyNights
..."never had a video" on youtube....????

Think you are wrong.

The "Trouble" audio-only video that sounds like hell counts?

Date: October 6, 2015 23:49

georgelicks
keefriffhards
georgelicks

Where are the videos?

Cool man and i do agree with you, although there was Trouble on you tube but it had terrible quality and it didn't get replaced. They had a great video on you tube for Doom And Doom, made a difference

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-06 23:52 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: frtg55 ()
Date: October 6, 2015 23:52

aftergeography
"But I love ALL Keith-Songs on Stones albums between 1968-1985!
After that the fire was gone!"

Odd year, (1985) to choose as Keith's cut off...are you putting his Dirty Work cuts in the year '85 or are you saying that DW was where he "lost the fire"?

1985/86: "Sleep tonight" and "Too rude" are both great!
The last great Keith-stuff on an Stones-Album!
In fact, I love Dirty Work, too! Don't mind, what critics talk!

After that no Keith-Song on any Stones album really turned me on.

So in 1989: Both Steel Wheels Songs (Can't be seen, Slipping away) were rubbish!
And then so on ...

Date: October 7, 2015 00:03

keefriffhards
georgelicks
keefriffhards
georgelicks

Where are the videos?

Cool man and i do agree with you, although there was Trouble on you tube but it had terrible quality and it didn't get replaced. They had a great video on you tube for Doom And Doom, made a difference

Forget about worn out marketing strategies - Mick is the master of this (lately with Taylor Swift) he knows how to do it -
but Keith is different -
AND Crosseyed Heart will get/has got enough attention anyway!!!
I´m sure he is more than satisfied with it.....and so am I and many others spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 00:12 by ThroughTheLonelyNights.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 7, 2015 00:04

All this hubbub about charts,numbers, stats, sales, etc., etc., etc.
No offense to those who find all that interesting, but as an artist myself, all I hear is "blah, blah, blah, blah...blah"!
Math was always confusing to me, so I took the creative route and utilized the right side of my brain instead .

I wouldn't think Keith pays much too attention one way or another, but he himself said he's happily surprised by the 'big bang' it has caused on the music world.
Beyond that, he's probably planning another get away to his home in Jamaica to chill with his Rasta buddies.
As for me, I'll simply enjoy the quality art that's been produced, and leave all chart position mumbo jumbo to to the mathematicians and statisticians.
Might have been a disappointment if it totally sucked and barely cracked the 100, but that's obviously not the case.

But please carry on.smoking smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 7, 2015 01:26

My CD did arrive, NOT signed. Crud. Oh well. I really do have rotten RS luck.

Date: October 7, 2015 01:36

35love

Oh no sad smiley now your a Debbie Downer too lol
never mind just play the thing, might cheer you up smiling smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: October 7, 2015 01:53

keefriffhards
35love

Oh no sad smiley now your a Debbie Downer too lol
never mind just play the thing, might cheer you up smiling smiley

*Onto the blues.

Posted by: rockville ()
Date: October 7, 2015 02:29

I don't know if this has been posted here. A nice review: Test Spins: Keith Richards — Crosseyed Heart

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: October 7, 2015 02:35

georgelicks

Keith's album has no single on the radio now, never had a video on youtube, he spent, what? 10 minutes? on TV on a Friday night and, finally, he didn't play a single song from the album live.
How can you sell an album like that?
Giving magazzine interviews?

10 minutes on the USA TV, but he gave interviews that were aired on a lot of different countries. But I agree with your point, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-07 02:35 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 02:42

Keith Richards took his time to complete Crosseyed Heart. It arrives 23 years after Main Offender, his last solo studio album, but also 11 years after A Bigger Bang, the last official Rolling Stones record, but Richards hasn't exactly been quiet in all those years. He helped Mick Jagger flesh out the leftover demos for expanded editions of Exile on Main St. and Some Girls -- conspiracists argued some of the writing happened in the new millennium -- and toured with the Stones on various anniversaries, but the feather in his cap was Life, the 2010 memoir that established Keith as a razor-sharp raconteur for the masses that may never have paid attention to Talk Is Cheap. When compared to that publication date, Crosseyed Heart arrives a mere five years later, so that's not such a long wait. Certainly, Crosseyed Heart hardly feels like it was labored over; it's not the work of a perfectionist hoping every element lands in its right place. It sounds like it was knocked out in a week, which is about the highest compliment that can be paid to a record as casual as this. Main Offender felt like the result of endless hours of expensive studio jams, but Crosseyed Heart feels like it fell into place, with its songs arising out of jams with a drummer instead of being excuses for jams. Bookended by acoustic numbers -- the first is the charmingly tossed-off title track, a song that feels clipped in its conclusion, the last a version of Lead Belly's "Goodnight Irene," with the lyrics slightly modified -- the album does indeed bear the suggestion of a construction, a record that slides from obsession to obsession without calling attention to transitions. Nothing here is surprising, not the overdriven Chess boogie of "Blues in the Morning" or the ska shuffle of "Love Overdue," but that familiarity is an asset, because Keith luxuriates in his detours so much he winds up synthesizing his affections into a signature, a move highlighted by the soulful crawl of the Norah Jones duet "Illusion," a song where both singers seem seduced by the slow groove. "Illusion" mildly recalls "Make No Mistake," but where that Talk Is Cheap number underlined its Stax connections, Crosseyed Heart isn't so edgy: Keith no longer has to prove what he has to contribute to either the Stones or the culture at large, so he settles into his favorite sounds, loving to play the blues, rock & roll, country, and folk he's always savored, then sliding into the open-chord boogie that's unmistakably his. He may not forcibly claim this ground here but that's the appeal of Crosseyed Heart: it's a winningly low-key record, where the atmosphere matters more than the songs, yet Richards doesn't neglect writing tunes this time around.

-Stephen Thomas Erlewine

[www.allmusic.com]

Date: October 7, 2015 03:05

Fair review above by Stephen Thomas Erlewine, but a couple minor quibbles....

"Bookended by acoustic numbers -- the first is the charmingly tossed-off title track, a song that feels clipped in its conclusion, the last a version of Lead Belly's "Goodnight Irene,"..."

Bookended by the title track and Goodnight Irene?
Perhaps he skipped Substantial Damage, Lovers Plea, and no doubt Love Overdue (bonus version).
And maybe he's being ironic, but the title track is indeed clipped - literally: "That's all I've got".

"the ska shuffle of "Love Overdue,"'

I wouldn't consider this a 'ska shuffle' as ska usually has a quicker tempo and a steadier beat. Ska evolved into Rock Steady (a bit slower), and then into Reggae (even slower).
'Love Overdue' is more along the lines of a typical Reggae tune with a slower groove, but I suppose it could be just a matter of semantics.

Other than that, a very nice review! thumbs up

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2015 07:31

Trouble video...

[www.stereogum.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 7, 2015 07:32

Trouble video...

[itunes.apple.com]

Date: October 7, 2015 07:53

Cool - I was wondering what happened to that video, saw it a couple of times prior to album release.
Weird it's still not on youtube though....?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2015 09:38

Hairball
Other than that, a very nice review!

Yes, other than the reviewer not even realizing he hadn't bothered to listen to the whole album.
What do they pay journalists for these days?! Grr & bah humbug

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 7, 2015 09:50

Obviously he thought the long pause after the end of Goodnight Irene was the end - maybe he should have read the track list? Substantial Damage might have changed his "no surprises" verdict.

Date: October 7, 2015 10:02

with sssoul
Hairball
Other than that, a very nice review!

Yes, other than the reviewer not even realizing he hadn't bothered to listen to the whole album.
What do they pay journalists for these days?! Grr & bah humbug

Cant remember what track its at the end of, but my CD ends for longer than it should before the next track starts. I just wonder if that's what happened to the reviewer. Did he switch it off at the end of that pause thinking it was the end of the album. Don't have time to find out now, will pay it later, it may well be after goodnight Irene

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2015 10:06

Yes, after Goodnight Irene there's a longer-than-usual pause before Substantial Damage,
followed by Lovers Plea. Not much of an excuse if you're being paid to review albums.
He couldn't even look at the track list? Bah humbug.

Date: October 7, 2015 10:52

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 15:17 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 7, 2015 11:33

famous quote about album sales from Brian Eno: "The Velvet Underground & Nico only sold 30,000 copies when it came out, but all 30,000 of those people started bands"

i feel crosseyed heart will be around for a while, not because it's at all like the VU album (!) but rather because cream does eventually rise to the top.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 7, 2015 11:56

Turner68
famous quote about album sales from Brian Eno: "The Velvet Underground & Nico only sold 30,000 copies when it came out, but all 30,000 of those people started bands"

i feel crosseyed heart will be around for a while, not because it's at all like the VU album (!) but rather because cream does eventually rise to the top.

thumbs upsmoking smiley

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...184185186187188189190191192193194...LastNext
Current Page: 189 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home