Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...137138139140141142143144145146147...LastNext
Current Page: 142 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: September 15, 2015 17:19

with sssoul
Mel Belli
I think it's more like he's honestly mystified that critics are so in the tank for "rootsy" recordings by legacy musicians.

If so he should read Elijah Wald: [www.iorr.org]

You could just as easily read Wald as in favor of Mick's point of view. If I rememember it right, Wald fingered the Beatles for, in effect, resegregating the charts into "art" and "dance" music. Before the Beatles got artsy-fartsy, you located the pulse of pop music in what people were dancing to. Then the shit got all intellectual. A bevy of white male critics came along. Etc.

For better or worse, Mick, from the mid-'70s onward, desperately tried to keep the Stones within striking distance of that pulse. Even closer on his solo records. But he was routinely flagellated (not least by Keith!) in the process.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 15, 2015 17:29

Mel Belli
You could just as easily read Wald as in favor of Mick's point of view.

Ohhh Mel sweetie, you didn't read my post in that Wald thread did you - *sniff!*
Of course Wald is "on Mick's side" on this issue. You said Mick might be baffled.
If he's baffled, reading Wald would help him understand why people who love old black dance music
have so often rejected any newer forms of black dance music. Wald explains (or at least describes) that quite well.

Date: September 15, 2015 17:32

Apparently I (mis)-read it. smileys with beer

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 15, 2015 17:51

Maindefender
Mel Belli
I think it's more like he's honestly mystified that critics are so in the tank for "rootsy" recordings by legacy musicians.

He shouldn't be based on the successful deluxe/archive products the Stones have recently released. Mick's the savvy businessman who doesn't get it versus gut feel Keith who can't miss? Put out a new "rootsy" album next time please Mick, duh confused smiley

Pretty clear to me that Mick's musical tastes just include more diverse and contemporary stuff than Keith's. He obviously hasn't taken all his Stone's fans on that journey. He probably still enjoy's roots music ala Keith, but possibly not enough to be writing in that style anymore. Let them both record what moves them I say and not worry about pleasing anyone but themselves. Anything else is creative death.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 15, 2015 18:08

Naturalust
Maindefender
Mel Belli

He shouldn't be based on the successful deluxe/archive products the Stones have recently released. Mick's the savvy businessman who doesn't get it versus gut feel Keith who can't miss? Put out a new "rootsy" album next time please Mick, duh confused smiley

Pretty clear to me that Mick's musical tastes just include more diverse and contemporary stuff than Keith's. He obviously hasn't taken all his Stone's fans on that journey. He probably still enjoy's roots music ala Keith, but possibly not enough to be writing in that style anymore. Let them both record what moves them I say and not worry about pleasing anyone but themselves. Anything else is creative death.

Well-said. At the end of the day, most casual--i.e., non-board-posting--Stones fans--otherwise known as 'their ticket-buying public'--are going to be as blissfully unaware of CROSSEYED HEART as they were of SUPERHEAVY. Let 'em both do their things creatively as they see fit.

Date: September 15, 2015 18:28

LongBeachArena72

At the end of the day, most casual--i.e., non-board-posting--Stones fans--otherwise known as 'their ticket-buying public'--are going to be as blissfully unaware of CROSSEYED HEART as they were of SUPERHEAVY.

Although you're probably right, I've got a feeling there will be considerably more Stones fans and other rock music fans aware of Keith's record than we may think. The PR for this record has been massive...billboards, radio slots, films, interviews, internet contests.

I've got the feeling this more than about selling records. This has become a media celebration of Keith Richards, the man. A gift from Jane Rose to the guy who made her career. A nod to the cultural icon who has influenced a couple of generations. One big lifetime achievement award....at least that's what it feels like.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 15, 2015 18:35

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

At the end of the day, most casual--i.e., non-board-posting--Stones fans--otherwise known as 'their ticket-buying public'--are going to be as blissfully unaware of CROSSEYED HEART as they were of SUPERHEAVY.

Although you're probably right, I've got a feeling there will be considerably more Stones fans and other rock music fans aware of Keith's record than we may think. The PR for this record has been massive...billboards, radio slots, films, interviews, internet contests.

I've got the feeling this more than about selling records. This has become a media celebration of Keith Richards, the man. A gift from Jane Rose to the guy who made her career. A nod to the cultural icon who has influenced a couple of generations. One big lifetime achievement award....at least that's what it feels like.
Agreed Naturalist well said- it's become more than just a new album release. The media blitz is in full swing, and it probably won't end soon. I don't remember Mick or anyone from Superheavy doing very much promo, but then again I don't remember much about Superheavy at all...or at least try not to.

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: September 15, 2015 20:15

super heavy or crosseyed heart its still by one of the stones,fans go out and buy what they think is good music,just get STONED by the music,we live in free society.
I AM FREE SO I BUY BOTH,LOT OF GOOD MUSIC BY SUPERHEAVY TOO AND BY KEITH TOO.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 15, 2015 20:16

Naturalust
LongBeachArena72

Yes very well said NL

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: September 15, 2015 20:17

Good reviews all over the World, number one in the top 10 Amazon's rock charts...Old lion roar again!

Date: September 15, 2015 20:52

KRiffhard
Good reviews all over the World, number one in the top 10 Amazon's rock charts...Old lion roar again!

''Old Lion Roar again'' I love that smiling smiley

I can see this album selling all the way to Christmass

Keith is full of surprises, just when you think you heard it all from him
He comes back better than ever

A true Legend smoking smiley

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 15, 2015 21:15

Naturalust
Maindefender
Mel Belli

I agree on solo projects, but the next Stones album should be a STONES album. Hopefully they show a little patience once recordings start.

Date: September 15, 2015 22:09

Maindefender
Naturalust
Maindefender
Mel Belli

I agree on solo projects, but the next Stones album should be a STONES album. Hopefully they show a little patience once recordings start.

I understand what you are saying for sure. We all have our expectations of what a Stones record should sound like. But then I think of times like Beggars Banquet and even Some Girls where they totally changed gears and came out with something that was uniquely Stones but still awesome.

Speaking for myself, I too would love for them to get back to the production sensibilities and roots feelings they had with BB and LIB. I would even welcome some of the 70's excess feelings that came later but I think a simpler, guitar based, folksy, bluesy record with great songs would be best. They need to discard the approach they've taken in the 90's and 00's, discard any attempt to sound like modern pop music and basically keep it simple. Lots of acoustic playing, killer harmonies, soulful slide and no obvious attempt at fast tempo party boy rockers for the sake of it unless the songs are very good. Just the best songs they can come up, done with older school production.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 15, 2015 22:14

NME review:

[www.nme.com]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 15, 2015 22:17

I am not just suggesting this because i am in the Keith camp, but is it possible that at 72 Mick may well have writers block
Hence virtually nothing from the man for 10 years
I mean he may never write a good album again
We all just assume he can
Paul McCartney has been unable to pen a decent song in decades, it happens

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: September 15, 2015 22:55

Rockman

David Fricke reviewed Crosseyed Heart in the October edition of MOJO magazine

i love the caption for the photo - still refusing to go quietly

ha!
he absolutely should always continue to do so

Date: September 15, 2015 23:16

Paste magazine: 9.0 rating(sorry can't provide link)

Date: September 15, 2015 23:22

Maindefender
My Best Buy purchase is on the way. thumbs up
Still waiting on Keef (signed?)bundle email.

thanks for sharing your joy of the notice from best buy. i had pre-ordered from there as well, and your post inspired me to check the best buy website today because i had not received any email notices to get ready to receive the goods.

they cancelled my order! arrrrghhhhh!
not only that! but they also became sold out! whilst i was trying to change my address to something that the web form would accept for shipping (for some reason my nyc addresses were a no-ship zone for the cd).

so i would have been sitting around like a fool on a bump waiting for my previously confirmed pre-order to become an order-order, had you not posted that you got an email confirmation.

thank you!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-16 00:08 by CloudCat.

Date: September 15, 2015 23:30

That sucks totally, CloudCat, especially if they didn't even alert you that you'd been disqualified or whatever.

Date: September 15, 2015 23:31

Key point in that interview with Andrew Marr is Keith talking about pressure of deadlines on Stones recording projects. Maybe now that there are no more 18-month megatours followed by years of hibernation, the next Stones album can be given time to develop like CH.

Date: September 15, 2015 23:40

with sssoul
That sucks totally, CloudCat, especially if they didn't even alert you that you'd been disqualified or whatever.

Ditto

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 00:00

keefriffhards
I am not just suggesting this because i am in the Keith camp, but is it possible that at 72 Mick may well have writers block
Hence virtually nothing from the man for 10 years
I mean he may never write a good album again
We all just assume he can
Paul McCartney has been unable to pen a decent song in decades, it happens

That 'again' above is a little disingenuous, no? In your opinion, has he EVER written a "good album"?

Date: September 16, 2015 00:01

Mel Belli
Key point in that interview with Andrew Marr is Keith talking about pressure of deadlines on Stones recording projects. Maybe now that there are no more 18-month megatours followed by years of hibernation, the next Stones album can be given time to develop like CH.

Sounds good but I'm guessing Europe will be screaming for their own Stones tour since they have been somewhat neglected, with Hyde Park and the O2 being the only big showings since 2007. The guarantees and demand will be tough to resist and that coupled with the momentum from the SA tour...I'm guessing Jagger will be opting for that option while the band is hot and will neglect Keith's new album wishes till a European tour is complete.

Date: September 16, 2015 00:10

Naturalust
Sounds good but I'm guessing Europe will be screaming for their own Stones tour since they have been somewhat neglected,
with Hyde Park and the O2 being the only big showings since 2007.

Only if you leave out the 14 shows in the summer of 2014
(well, 13 since Israel isn't Europe)

Date: September 16, 2015 00:11

Naturalust

Sounds good but I'm guessing Europe will be screaming for their own Stones tour since they have been somewhat neglected, with Hyde Park and the O2 being the only big showings since 2007. The guarantees and demand will be tough to resist and that coupled with the momentum from the SA tour...I'm guessing Jagger will be opting for that option while the band is hot and will neglect Keith's new album wishes till a European tour is complete.

what was 14 on fire, then?

london yes, but poor neglected nyc has been left lorn and longing since december 2012.

almost hear me sigh.....................

Date: September 16, 2015 00:15

CloudCat
[Best Buy] cancelled my order! arrrrghhhhh!
not only that! but they also became sold out! whilst i was trying to change my address to something
that the web form would accept for shipping (for some reason my nyc addresses were a no-ship zone for the cd).

Am I reading this right - Best Buy confirmed your order when you placed it,
then cancelled it without notice, and refuse to ship the CD to New York City??

That's crazy! eye popping smiley

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 16, 2015 01:39

with sssoul
CloudCat
[Best Buy] cancelled my order! arrrrghhhhh!
not only that! but they also became sold out! whilst i was trying to change my address to something
that the web form would accept for shipping (for some reason my nyc addresses were a no-ship zone for the cd).

Am I reading this right - Best Buy confirmed your order when you placed it,
then cancelled it without notice, and refuse to ship the CD to New York City??

That's crazy! eye popping smiley

Try again, CloudCat. I got the sold out meme too, but I checked back a few days later and it let my order go through. I kinda half think that I'll get an email soon with an apology and an order cancellation, but I'm hoping it means that they got another shipment so they have some more CD's. The whole thing seems a bit chaotic. Keith's website sent me a message that my order from them has been delayed. I'm beginning to think I would have been better off walking into the Best Buy a mile down the street and picking up a few there. I bet you anything they'll have some in the stores. Grrrrrr......

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: September 16, 2015 03:45

I'm not getting any joy from Best Buy either - keeps removing it from the basket, and the record doesn't even exist on the Target, Walmart and Amoeba websites.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 03:47

i ordered from amazon. they sent me an email 3 days ago saying i could expect it at my door on the 18th. i believe them.

Posted by: ohmercy61 ()
Date: September 16, 2015 03:56

Got a text from best buy today my CD has been shipped!!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...137138139140141142143144145146147...LastNext
Current Page: 142 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1648
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home