Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...219220221222223224225226227228229...LastNext
Current Page: 224 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 04:59

I was hoping for a heavier album. He doesn't sound like the Main Offender nor does he sound like Keef Riffhard. It's a heartfelt album, no doubt about it. I listened to Talk Is Cheap and MO once again, and I have to say that those albums are focused, cohesive, spontaneous, have the ATTITUDE, and have songs that stay with you. They are CLASSICS. For me CH's songs just fly away to a faraway land after listening to it. I wish he had revisited outtakes like Deep Love from the DW sessions. Deep Love is a lost treasure, and it's Keith all over the track.

CH feels like an album from a guy who knows that whatever he does, people will love it, and it will sell (not that he wants to sell millions of albums). It feels too self-assured, too confident.

We know that KR loves ballads and he has a soft heart, and I love him for that. But it's been how many years since MO? I was really looking forward to the new album, and I have to say I am disappointed. sad smiley Two stars out of five. Would have given one more star if it wasn't for the overblown, in-your-face production.

I know most of you won't agree with me, and that's fine. It's just an opinion.

Anyway, he is still THE man. And I love him dearly, and I wish he would go on the road again.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: November 3, 2015 11:07

frenki09

[...]

Anyway, he is still THE man. And I love him dearly, and I wish he would go on the road again.

Yes, he should. I think it's a big mistake that he's not promoting the album more (more singles, and a tour to back it up). What a waste.
Even if he really wants to make another Stones album, couldn't it wait a bit? I don't understand: he made a great album, at least much better than any Stones album of the past 30 years or so, and he just leaves it at that? Songs like "Lover's plea" or "Illusion" could find a bigger audience, I'd think.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: November 3, 2015 15:43

After only 5 weeks the album is out of the Billboard 200, the US sales are close to 60,000 copies after 6 weeks.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:00

After 5 weeks this 'old school' album sold 350k with: no radio airplay, no touring, no video on youtube and limited visibility.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:04

frenki09
For me CH's songs just fly away to a faraway land after listening to it.

Thanks for writing what I've been feeling about this record, but couldn't put into words.

Date: November 3, 2015 16:14

KRiffhard
After 5 weeks this 'old school' album sold 350k with: no radio airplay, no touring, no video on youtube and limited visibility.

350k where?

According to Mediatraffic (a good source) it sold 210k after 5 weeks.
According to Musiccharts (not so good) it sold 240k after 5 weeks.

Stop with the inflation of sales numbers.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:37

The board looks bizarre without this thread as a sticky anymore. It's very confusing.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2015 17:52

I agree GasLightStreet ...even though the posts were somewhat dwindling, it could have been a sticky for at least another month or two?!! cool smiley

With a bit of creativity. a post per day should keep it on page one! grinning smiley

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:03

georgelicks
KRiffhard

350k where?

OK thanks,
how do these sales figures compare to the other band members solo albums?
Please and thank you.

Date: November 3, 2015 18:10

jlowe
georgelicks
KRiffhard

350k where?

OK thanks,
how do these sales figures compare to the other band members solo albums?
Please and thank you.

Given that it's a different era of how things are sold and what makes up the charts, etc, it would be difficult to fully compare fairly.
With that said, it would interesting to see the highest chart position for each of them.

But georgelicks should have the full details on sales , chart positions, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 18:16 by Hairball.

Posted by: lucasd4 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 18:16

georgelicks
KRiffhard

350k where?

These are the numbers georgelicks predicted the album would sell.....and he was right as usual.....unlike others who predicted it would sell over a million and others would said it would still be selling well through the holidays and the end of the year.

Date: November 3, 2015 18:26

lucasd4
unlike others who predicted it would sell over a million and others would said it would still be selling well through the holidays and the end of the year

There were predictions of this selling over a million? Sounds a bit unrealistic.
But it could still sell fairly well up until Christmas - nothing earth shattering or record breaking, but 'tis the season for gift buying.

All in all, and when all is said and done, the results have been pretty damn good.
From critics and fans who liked it, and most importantly Keith himself who was surprised by all the attention it's been given...a success no matter how one looks at it.

Date: November 3, 2015 19:18

georgelicks
KRiffhard

350k where?

...and stop with the Crosseyed Heart's deflation too! You seem to have a lot of pleasure to say that CH is "out of the Billboard 200", "Down to #192 on the Billboard 200" or "Sadly the album is done on the charts, out of the Top 100 in the UK and #117 on the Billboard 200"...
'Sadly', '..after only', 'Down to..', 'Out of..'always negative meaning.

Date: October 8, 2015 16:22
What? Half a million?
It won't happen, even with a second single or video.
I'll be amazed if it reaches 300k worldwide, about 200-250k is the best he can get now"

...so, aren't you amazed now?! And isn't finished yet!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-03 19:24 by KRiffhard.

Date: November 3, 2015 19:29

...still #12 on Amazon's rock charts (4.3 out of 5 stars)
Go on Keef!
[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 19:39

Nobody can deny Keith's victory!

Date: November 3, 2015 20:09

MonkeyMan2000
thumbs up

...as written on 'Guitars World' magazine: 'Celebrates his latest solo victory!'

How Do You Like Keith´s Work On "Crosseyed Heart"? Vox AND playing...
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: November 3, 2015 04:30

I just would like to know,

1 1/2 year ago I was totally sure that I would never see Keith come alive not just on stage, but... being aware, you know what I mean?
I just CAN´T say bad things about this album, I always liked the Winos, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel...very clear...

Nope, I just CAN´T say something bad about this very album....

Welcome back, you SON OF A GUN!!!!

Re: How Do You Like Keith´s Work On "Crosseyed Heart"? Vox AND playing...
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 05:20

smileys with beer

Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: November 3, 2015 05:41

Or....let me put it like THIS...:

[www.music-bazaar.com]

Date: November 3, 2015 06:29

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: November 3, 2015 16:03

Best Stones related album since at least Some Girls, maybe Exile. I have not had a record I played over and over like this since I was in college 30 years ago.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: November 3, 2015 23:43

I have to say, I miss Keith's biggest and most loyal fan. I really liked his youthful thinking.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 3, 2015 23:50

Interestingly data on the dynamic range of Keith's new record. The download definitely lacks the dynamic range and shows peak readings which show it was brickwalled. The difference in the vinyl and the 24/96 download is pretty big, the vinyl of course having better numbers.

The database doesn't include the CD version of the release, perhaps it is closer to the vinyl numbers who knows, but probably not. It would be interesting to hear from folks who have both as to whether they can hear a difference.

Vinyl - DR 10
24/96 Studio Master lossless download - DR 6 !!

compare the numbers to Let It Bleed

Vinyl - DR 12
Lossless Downloads - DR 10

Before anybody decides to rail on me about how unimportant this sort of stuff is to enjoying a piece of music please know that I am just posting it for people who are interested in such data. I was actually a bit shocked at how compressed the lossless download is, looks to me like they made a real mess of it in an effort to make it LOUD! Just look at the numbers! It's compressed and turned up, classic brickwalling.

-----------------------------------------------------------

foobar2000 1.3.8 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.0
log date: 2015-10-18 17:00:12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Keith Richards / Crosseyed Heart - Vinyl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR10 -5.04 dB -20.11 dB 1:52 01-Crosseyed Heart
DR11 -0.74 dB -13.41 dB 3:04 02-Heartstopper
DR11 -1.62 dB -14.56 dB 3:37 03-Amnesia
DR9 -2.36 dB -15.55 dB 4:01 04-Robbed Blind
DR11 -0.63 dB -13.39 dB 4:18 05-Trouble
DR11 -1.54 dB -15.53 dB 3:29 06-Love Overdue
DR10 -1.99 dB -14.38 dB 3:48 07-Nothing On Me
DR10 -2.68 dB -14.90 dB 3:45 08-Suspicious
DR9 -1.27 dB -12.05 dB 4:26 09-Blues In The Morning
DR10 -0.27 dB -13.69 dB 3:29 10-Something For Nothing
DR10 -1.06 dB -13.69 dB 3:51 11-Illusion
DR10 -3.52 dB -15.80 dB 4:02 12-Just A Gift
DR10 -2.92 dB -15.71 dB 5:17 13-Goodnight Irene
DR9 -2.43 dB -13.12 dB 4:22 14-Substantial Damage
DR10 -2.64 dB -15.39 dB 4:23 15-Lover's Plea

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed folder: /Users/NN/Desktop/Keith Richards - Crosseyed Heart WEB FLAC 24-96
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR Peak RMS Filename

DR9 -0.00 dB -12.20 dB 01 - Crosseyed Heart.m4a
DR5 over -6.31 dB 02 - Heartstopper.m4a
DR6 over -7.10 dB 03 - Amnesia.m4a
DR6 -0.00 dB -7.93 dB 04 - Robbed Blind.m4a
DR5 over -5.96 dB 05 - Trouble.m4a
DR6 -0.00 dB -8.21 dB 06 - Love Overdue.m4a
DR5 over -7.01 dB 07 - Nothing On Me.m4a
DR6 over -7.51 dB 08 - Suspicious.m4a
DR5 -0.00 dB -5.27 dB 09 - Blues In The Morning.m4a
DR6 over -6.89 dB 10 - Something For Nothing.m4a
DR5 -0.06 dB -6.91 dB 11 - Illusion.m4a
DR6 -0.00 dB -8.34 dB 12 - Just A Gift.m4a
DR6 -0.07 dB -8.36 dB 13 - Goodnight Irene.m4a
DR5 over -6.50 dB 14 - Substantial Damage.m4a
DR6 -0.00 dB -7.85 dB (null)

Number of files: 15
Official DR value: DR6

===============================================================================

Date: November 3, 2015 23:50

RawIguanaCologne
I just would like to know,

1 1/2 year ago I was totally sure that I would never see Keith come alive not just on stage, but... being aware, you know what I mean?
I just CAN´T say bad things about this album, I always liked the Winos, but I see a light at the end of the tunnel...very clear...

Nope, I just CAN´T say something bad about this very album....

Welcome back, you SON OF A GUN!!!!
thumbs up

Date: November 4, 2015 00:13

KRiffhard
MonkeyMan2000
thumbs up

...as written on 'Guitars World' magazine: 'Celebrates his latest solo victory!'

Indeed there's no denying the amazing success - we shall never forget what a great chapter in Rolling Stones history this has been. cool smiley

V. - victoroius
I. - inspirational
C. - celebration
T. - truth
O. - original
R. - righteous
Y. - YES

Chart (2015) Peak position
Argentinian Albums - 1
Australian Albums - 15
Austrian Albums - 1
Belgian Albums - 8
Canada Top Albums - 11
Czech Albums - 6
Danish Albums - 8
Dutch Albums - 4
Finnish Albums - 25
French Albums - 7
German Albums - 3
Greek Albums - 6
Irish Albums - 19
Italian Albums - 7
Japanese Albums -6
New Zealand Albums - 5
Norwegian Albums - 4
Polish Albums - 16
Portuguese Albums - 14
Korean Albums - 81
Spanish Albums - 12
Swedish Albums - 7
Swiss Albums - 4
UK Albums - 7
US Billboard 200 - 11 (Sales #8)

Cheers to Keith! smileys with beer

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: November 4, 2015 00:38

Would some of the experts like to say what is technically wrong with that horrible YouTube video of Trouble to make it so painful on the ears?

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: November 4, 2015 01:22

Here in Sweden it has been very little commotion about the new album. It recieved decent but reserved reviews, 3/5, in the two big tabloids (Aftonbladet and Expressen).
Since then it has been more or less quiet. Very little or no airplay at all.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 4, 2015 01:36

Green Lady
Would some of the experts like to say what is technically wrong with that horrible YouTube video of Trouble to make it so painful on the ears?

Sound to me like they intentionally just increased the gain to the point of audible distortion in the track, likely in order to provide a version with so much less fidelity nobody would want to copy it. If someone liked the song they would still be compelled to buy it somewhere else.

It is very strange for an official video like that! Especially after they had the much better sounding one up with the video of Keith in the studio for a while. Probably just some record company decision to protect the creative property. confused smiley

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: November 4, 2015 02:58

My two cents.....

Part of the pleasure of being a true longterm fan is being critical of an album, tour whatever. Saying that everything is classic or the greatest or was a huge success is actually worthless. There's no barometer, nothing to gauge or compare.

Personally, I'm thrilled that Keith released a new solo record. Any new material by any Stones relation to me is cause for celebration (including the new Bill Wyman album this year).

I really like Wyman's solo career and with the Rhythm Kings, but his new album was simply OK and didn't last much on my playlist.

Keith's album was very good - a solid 3 stars out of 5. To me Robbed Blind is the closest to a truly great track on the album. But in general few real "highs" just a solid release that will not get much play over the years. But that's fine. I'm thrilled he released an album.

But this talk of classic and comparing to Exile and worse is the sales figures.

To many people the sales figures are irrelevant and that's fine too. But for those who care, stop preaching what a huge success it was. Sorry 60k in the US is a dismal failure for someone of the magnitude of Keith Richards. The publicity in the US was HUGE. Multiple magazine articles and covers. Major press in every major newspaper. Oh what else - a film documentary released at the same time which also gathered huge press and exposure. Oh what else - major TV exposure and interviews. And 60k sales in the US? Sorry from a commercial standpoint that is a failure.....and that's not a criticism it's a fact. And you know what - that's OK. Just accept it for what it is.

Similar solo releases at similar times - like David Gilmour and Don Henley were way more commercially successful with far less press and exposure.

It is what it is. The Stones are a huge public relations machine and get exposure like few others....but certainly don't translate to huge sales.

They're "my" band. I love them and am thrilled when they release new material, but thru the hyperbole, be damn honest about being disappointed when it doesn't translate to overall commercial success.

Posted by: frenki09 ()
Date: November 4, 2015 03:52

kammpberg
My two cents.....

Part of the pleasure of being a true longterm fan is being critical of an album, tour whatever. Saying that everything is classic or the greatest or was a huge success is actually worthless. There's no barometer, nothing to gauge or compare.

Personally, I'm thrilled that Keith released a new solo record. Any new material by any Stones relation to me is cause for celebration (including the new Bill Wyman album this year).

I really like Wyman's solo career and with the Rhythm Kings, but his new album was simply OK and didn't last much on my playlist.

Keith's album was very good - a solid 3 stars out of 5. To me Robbed Blind is the closest to a truly great track on the album. But in general few real "highs" just a solid release that will not get much play over the years. But that's fine. I'm thrilled he released an album.

But this talk of classic and comparing to Exile and worse is the sales figures.

To many people the sales figures are irrelevant and that's fine too. But for those who care, stop preaching what a huge success it was. Sorry 60k in the US is a dismal failure for someone of the magnitude of Keith Richards. The publicity in the US was HUGE. Multiple magazine articles and covers. Major press in every major newspaper. Oh what else - a film documentary released at the same time which also gathered huge press and exposure. Oh what else - major TV exposure and interviews. And 60k sales in the US? Sorry from a commercial standpoint that is a failure.....and that's not a criticism it's a fact. And you know what - that's OK. Just accept it for what it is.

Similar solo releases at similar times - like David Gilmour and Don Henley were way more commercially successful with far less press and exposure.

It is what it is. The Stones are a huge public relations machine and get exposure like few others....but certainly don't translate to huge sales.

They're "my" band. I love them and am thrilled when they release new material, but thru the hyperbole, be damn honest about being disappointed when it doesn't translate to overall commercial success.

Totally agree with everything you wrote.

The number of sales means nothing, especially when we are talking about a huge star like Keef. Most people who buy new releases don't buy them, because the albums are good, but because they are curious, or because they loyal fans. You don't necessarily know what you are buying before you listen to it...

We have to see how CH will stand the test of time. Unfortunately even classics like Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender are forgotten, get no airplay at all. And it doesn't help that KR doesn't get the Winos back together for a rockin' tour. I think that's a mistake. KR loved every minute of the Winos shows back in the day. It's too bad he doesn't get active. And I had the feeling he was 'Happy' to be free again, far from the Stones machine.

Chart success? Seriously? Who cares? Was Start Me Up a number 1? No, it wasn't. Was We Are The Champions or We Will Rock You (from Queen) number 1? No, they weren't. You would think that these songs are instant classics, but they are not if you look at the charts. And the list goes on... Millions of songs and albums that didn't do well in the charts, and became classics.

Does anyone seriously think that Rolling Stone magazine wouldn't give a Rolling Stone 4 or 5 stars?! I am talking about the last decade or so. The Rolling Stones are untouchable, and no matter what they do critics will bow down.

Here there's no Take It So Hard, no Wicked As It Seems. It just lacks focus. Maybe I have this feeling, because it was done over many years, piece by piece.

There was an enormous pressure on KR to finally come out with a new solo album. But I never felt he had the will to really do the album. The spark, the attitude, the danger and the genius is definitely missing. It's just a warm, feel-good album.

When it comes to KR, the name is enough to sell anything in the range of 10's of 1000's.

It was lovely to hear his singing again. But as I said before: this album will 'Fade Away', and only die-hard fans will appreciate it and remember it.

It is NOT a classic.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...219220221222223224225226227228229...LastNext
Current Page: 224 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1822
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home