Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...214215216217218219220221222223224...LastNext
Current Page: 219 of 257
Re: Keith Richards solo album 'Crosseyed Heart' - out September 18
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 03:38

lucasd4
Hairball

Well it's not just Keith fans that are giving the album higher ratings, if you read through the entire thread it's Rolling Stones fans in general.
The only ones who really don't like it - even hate it - seem to be the die-hard Mick/SheBoss/Primitive/Wandering/Superheavy/Goddess fans, at least that's the impression I've been getting.

As for Metacritic, never heard of it.
I wonder what it has to say about some of Micks solo outings...

I'm one of the hard core Keith fans myself. I think his album is better than anything the Stones have done since at least Tattoo You. But the fact remains that Crosseyed Heart is not getting the rave reviews in the press that it's getting on Stones message boards. And it's not getting rave reviews on ALL the Stones message boards either. Can you provide a link to a 5 star or 10 out of 10 review from ANY major music publication?

As for Metacritic, they take published reviews and average the ratings to determine a score. They've been doing this since the late 90's. Recent Stones related scores...

Goddess in the Doorway......62/100
A Bigger Bang........73/100
Shine a Light.......76/100
Exile Reissue........100/100
Sticky Fingers Reissue........100/100
Some Girls reissue.......93/100
Crosseyed Heart........76/100
Back To Basics (Wyman)......46/100

Nice to know we can agree that Keith's album is better than anything the Stones have released since at least Tattoo You. thumbs up
But I consider myself first and foremost a Stones fan that just happens to think that Keith is/was the mastermind and integrity behind the band when they were really great - if that's considered a hard core Keith fan, then count me in.

I'm not one for 'numbered' reviews, as I think it was Rolling Stone mag who gave it a 3 of 4 (which is great by all standards) or was it 4 of 5 (?), and then continued to write a stellar review without any blemishes.
So what exactly did this number mean? On the other hand I believe the same magazine gave Goddess a 100% positive - either 4 of 4 or 5 of 5, and most would agree that simply is not the case.
Generally speaking, I don't pay much attention to professional critics and their reviews one way or the other, but when they're brought up or a link is posted I will read.
Interesting to see that Metacritic gave Goddess only a 62, that's pretty dismal. Out of curiosity I wonder what they say about Superheavy and Alfie...

As for providing you with any links, due to time constraints I can only point you to this thread as there are plenty of reviews linked and posted many pages ago around the time if initial release.
If memory serves, a vast majority were stellar reviews, but can't recall if they were graded by a numbering system - not that numbers really make a difference imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-28 04:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: October 28, 2015 03:45

Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball
But one only needed to listen to the Faces, Humble Pie, and Exile era Stones (among others) to hear the real McCoy.
.... Nobody could accuse them of copying anybody but themselves! ...

This is what they have been doing for the past 26 years.

I knew someone would say that. smoking smiley If that's the case why haven't they produced another Exile, Sticky Fingers, BB or LIB? Like Keith's record has shown, production methods and song selection are the key. Fingers crossed.

?

Those albums were great because they weren't copies of anything, they were forging new ground. That's why copying them will never produce anything as great as them.

You think like Mick and look what good that's done. lol I don't care if it's a copy...I want another Exile but with new songs man! That's great enough for me. smoking smiley

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: October 28, 2015 08:35

Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Turner68
Naturalust
Hairball
But one only needed to listen to the Faces, Humble Pie, and Exile era Stones (among others) to hear the real McCoy.
.... Nobody could accuse them of copying anybody but themselves! ...

This is what they have been doing for the past 26 years.

I knew someone would say that. smoking smiley If that's the case why haven't they produced another Exile, Sticky Fingers, BB or LIB? Like Keith's record has shown, production methods and song selection are the key. Fingers crossed.

?

Those albums were great because they weren't copies of anything, they were forging new ground. That's why copying them will never produce anything as great as them.

You think like Mick and look what good that's done. lol I don't care if it's a copy...I want another Exile but with new songs man! That's great enough for me. smoking smiley

So any LP with 18 random blues-rock-based songs will satisfy you? I can have one of those recorded in about a month... just slap some generic, overused riffs and lyrics together and there's the next "Exile" tongue sticking out smiley

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 28, 2015 12:16

I hope the Stones won't make any albums anymore, and Keith will tour on his own solo albums and, hell, maybe even make another solo album in another 5 years.
It's nobody's fault, it never is, but a band in which people have grown apart, have different ideas and tastes, there is no point in making music together. The whole is no longer more than the sum of its parts, it has become less. Another Stones album would be like drinking stale water after a bottle of exquisite wine, as has been proven by any of their albums after Undercover. It would be such an anti-climax after Crosseyed Heart.

Date: October 28, 2015 12:39

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:39 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 28, 2015 13:08

DandelionPowderman
Some people may not like «by numbers»-tracks like The Storm, Back Of My Hand, Mean Disposition, Break The Spell and Rough Justice.

But I'd say: Bring it on, we want a new album! thumbs up

We want it...but not 8 Mick's solo demos and 2 Keith's ballads produced by Don Was.

Date: October 28, 2015 13:15

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: October 28, 2015 13:18

i want a new album, but I want it mature like Crosseyed Heart. Mick's lyrics cant be " teenager like" for shock value or sappy love songs. I still think to equal CH will be a difficult challenge. I think Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie should head to the studio without Mick for a couple of months to get the groove going, jam it out.

Ever since Steel Wheels they have rushed the process for product( albums have really been an after thought of a big tour idea). This album needs to take its time.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: October 28, 2015 13:31

Bashlets
i want a new album, but I want it mature like Crosseyed Heart. Mick's lyrics cant be " teenager like" for shock value or sappy love songs. I still think to equal CH will be a difficult challenge. I think Keith, Ronnie, and Charlie should head to the studio without Mick for a couple of months to get the groove going, jam it out.

Ever since Steel Wheels they have rushed the process for product( albums have really been an after thought of a big tour idea). This album needs to take its time.

...and needs a new producer.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: October 28, 2015 14:39

Hairball
Having a Stones regurgitation c.'68-'73 is in essence maybe a good idea Naturalust, but Mick is too contemporary to allow it.
He even shelved the blues album he cut with Rick Rubin and the Red Devils, and the only reason I can think of is because it wasn't commercially viable enough.

As for the Black Crowes, I've never been much of a fan which probably goes against the grain of alot of people here.
I always thought it was too retro and/or contrived. From the way they dress, to using the blueprint for the classic rock bands in which they copied.
I know alot of people do like them, as that type of music was certainly missing from the current airwaves at the time they came out.

Turner's speculation could be true, or at least not far from the truth. Even Keith recently said he doesn't like A Bigger Bang, and I would speculate the reason is because it was dominated by Mick's ideas on what it should be, and what it should sound like. Clearly not a great album by anyone's standards, and if even Keith doesn't like and/or listen to it, that speaks volumes. Maybe/hopefully things will change for the 'grand finale' recording sessions, and we'll be blessed with the 'Mother' of all Stones albums.

I hadn't read that, where Keith is talking of 'A Bigger Bang' and his dislike. Was that a recent interview, and did he elaborate a bit on it?

Date: October 28, 2015 14:53

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 28, 2015 15:01

Bashlets

Much of what you said above is what I've though for years.

Ever since hearing the story that, before Steel Wheels, when Keith left to meet with Mick, he told Patti that he'd be home in either two weeks or two years and then learning that there was, in fact, a schedule which allotted a certain amount of time for recording prior to the tour, I've thought that, Mick's "schedule" has forced the band to work under time restraints that have not allowed for enough work to be done to produce GREAT recorded material.

Please note, I don't want to place all the blame on Mick. He's merely the one that I've heard that puts/sets time restrictions on the recording process. Possibly Charlie and Ronnie and even Keith have stated that they don't want to spend all that much time in the studio. Who of us can blame any one of them? I think that they do "the best they can" within the parameters they set for themselves. Unfortunately, the preset amount of time hasn't always been enough.

It's kind of sad that the individuals involved are no longer motivated to produce greatness at any cost (time). If I'm not mistaken, Crosseyed Heart was produced over a couple of years of on and off work by Jordan & Keith. I imagine that if Mick & Keith & Ronnie & Charlie were to work on a similar schedule, we might get the results that we, the fans, have been wishing for the past 25 years.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 28, 2015 19:21

I'm still wondering if there will be a 2nd single...
I think this was discussed way back when somewhere in this thread, but its seems now would be a good of time as ever release it.
I'd suggest Illusion w/Norah Jones, or perhaps Robbed Blind - both slower and different than Trouble.
And it would be nice to have an actual 7" 45 to purchase. thumbs up

Date: October 28, 2015 19:26

BreakingBlues
So any LP with 18 random blues-rock-based songs will satisfy you? I can have one of those recorded in about a month... just slap some generic, overused riffs and lyrics together and there's the next "Exile" tongue sticking out smiley

Well it's a pretty big stretch to consider Exile an LP with 18 random blues rock record with generic overused riffs, but if that's what you think it is and you think you can make a similar one in a month all I can say is give it your best shot man!

It's probably been a difficult task for the Stones to compete against their best work and walk the line between copying there own styles and creating new original stuff. In general I think any artist has to create the music that truly moves them and just hope everybody else gets it. That's exactly why Keith's record worked so well, imo.

I guess I'm just hoping the music that moves Mick in particular these days is going to also move me. There would be something disingenuous about them actually trying to create another Exile styled record if they weren't truly feeling it and it would probably be obvious to us all, but on the other hand they are such good actors/performers they just might get away with it! lol

To respond to Mr. DJA's post about the time involved to make a record and the pressure to produce in that time period....those time constraints existed in the old days too, when they were contracted to produce X number of records in an allotted period of time. I think the real difference these days is they don't stay up for days on end trying to get it right and that you are probably right in assuming the best results now days will probably me produced if they take however long is necessary to get it right.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: October 28, 2015 20:09

Hairball
I'm still wondering if there will be a 2nd single...
I think this was discussed way back when somewhere in this thread, but its seems now would be a good of time as ever release it.
I'd suggest Illusion w/Norah Jones, or perhaps Robbed Blind - both slower and different than Trouble.
And it would be nice to have an actual 7" 45 to purchase. thumbs up

I suppose it's too late to get one out for Record Store Day.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: October 28, 2015 20:35

Naturalust
To respond to Mr. DJA's post about the time involved to make a record and the pressure to produce in that time period....those time constraints existed in the old days too, when they were contracted to produce X number of records in an allotted period of time. I think the real difference these days is they don't stay up for days on end trying to get it right and that you are probably right in assuming the best results now days will probably me produced if they take however long is necessary to get it right.

And I did think about that as well. About the only thing I could think of them releasing "early", on a theoretical "schedule", was the Satisfaction single (which apparently was more ready than MJ&KR thought it was). It's not like they put a rush job on "Let It Bleed" so they could have it out before the '69 tour. They released the album when it was done, not when it was "needed".

I don't think that they need to stay up for days on end to get things right even if that m.o. was productive years ago. In some ways if mixing for 120 hours is what it takes, who is to say that doing it in five days, 24 hrs per day, is more efficient than doing it in 30 days a 4 hrs per day?

I've heard Keith say that it's his job to inspire Mick. Imagine if Mick & Keith both would allow each other the time to inspire themselves. Look at Sympathy for example. Mick had the song and played it for the band. Imagine if they would have just recorded it the way Mick played it for them and were done with it. Thankfully they didn't do that. They found something that inspired them and took Mick's song and created magic. Didn't matter how long it took to get there, just that they got there.

Imagine if MJ&KR would send each other their demos weeks or months in advance of "recording". The songs would have a chance to be developed, inspired even. As it is, we get the Rolling Stones playing on a MJ or KR song that never got a chance to become a Rolling Stones or Jagger/Richards song.

OK... I have officially started rambling and I don't want to think hard enough to make the rest of this post worth reading any farther! Time to get back to my job and maybe I'll come up with something worth adding to the discussion a bit later!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: BreakingBlues ()
Date: October 28, 2015 20:40

Naturalust
BreakingBlues

Well it's a pretty big stretch to consider Exile an LP with 18 random blues rock record with generic overused riffs, but if that's what you think it is and you think you can make a similar one in a month all I can say is give it your best shot man!

It's probably been a difficult task for the Stones to compete against their best work and walk the line between copying there own styles and creating new original stuff. In general I think any artist has to create the music that truly moves them and just hope everybody else gets it. That's exactly why Keith's record worked so well, imo.

I guess I'm just hoping the music that moves Mick in particular these days is going to also move me. There would be something disingenuous about them actually trying to create another Exile styled record if they weren't truly feeling it and it would probably be obvious to us all, but on the other hand they are such good actors/performers they just might get away with it! lol

I'm not sure you got my sarcasm... but you seem to have picked up on my line of thinking in the third paragraph of your post, that trying to recreate EOMS would be "disingenuous" as you put it. What I was trying to say was that if you want a "new Exile with new songs" as you so eloquently put it - well, to be careful what you wish for, because you'd probably be getting 18 generic blues-rock songs with overused riffs and lyrics (which even I could produce tongue sticking out smiley) rather below the quality the Mick, Keith, and the gang can produce.

As for making music that truly moves them, I say - go for it, Glimmers. M&K have each been making music that truly moves them, but most Stoners seem to hate Mick's music and love Keith's.

So I guess my point is, the Stones should just try something new and creative, and neither Glimmer should care what anyone thinks, and they should, effectively, ignore the impossibly high standards set by their previous records, and just do what they think sounds good to them now, since Exile II won't be coming any time soon.

But their next one doesn't need to be Exile II.

"I hope you didn't record any of this""No I didn't"

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: October 28, 2015 21:44

DandelionPowderman
KRiffhard
DandelionPowderman
Some people may not like «by numbers»-tracks like The Storm, Back Of My Hand, Mean Disposition, Break The Spell and Rough Justice.

But I'd say: Bring it on, we want a new album! thumbs up

We want it...but not 8 Mick's solo demos and 2 Keith's ballads produced by Don Was.

Exactly!

+1

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: October 29, 2015 01:23

Naturalust
Rip This
georgelicks
KRiffhard
300k copies sold after 4 weeks. Imo nowadays is a great success, considering that is an 'old school' album no radio friendly, without video on you tube and a solo tour to support it.
Go Keef!

It sold 240k worldwide so far, it will reach 300k in a couple of months with a bit of luck.
Sadly the album is done on the charts, out of the Top 100 in the UK and #117 on the Billboard 200 after only 4 weeks.

..just to put in some perspective...Adele's you tube hits for HELLO have exceeded 89,000,000 in just 5 days. I can only imagine what first week sales might be on her record...

Hard to believe those numbers. Vevo has been pretty well proven to pay companies to provide bot hits, likes and even comments to some of it's most promoted artists.

cut it in half...and its still an incredible number after less than 1 week...116,000,000 views to date.

Date: October 29, 2015 09:08

Another version of Goodnight Irene from Kelly Joe Phelps I figured might be enjoyed by the folks digging Keith''s new record. He plays it live wonderfully too.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2015 11:04

mr_dja

I've heard Keith say that it's his job to inspire Mick.

I think you hit the nail here. The reason for the downhill for Stones music in quality and quantity for the last 35 years or so: Keith just doesn't inspire Mick any longer. I think the problem was obvious by the time of making EMOTIONAL RSECUE but it could be that the hailed EXILE was teh last time The Glimmer Twins had a creative respect towards each other - or Mick was actually paying attention into what Keith did,and being even excited about it.

Usually this is seen that the reason is that Mick and Keith had developed very different tastes for what they consider good music; Mick being a trend follower, and Keith a rootsman (which is to say: Keith creatively stopped to the musical premises of EXILE, Mick not). That partly is true, but the style or a genre of music is not the whole point: the question is has someone something to say, that is, can one form inspiring, great music from a given genre? If one digs blues or country that alone will not constitute great, authentic music - something the Stones actually did during their heyday (The Big Four), and excelled and completed in EXILE.

So if we consider this from Mick's point of view - not popular here - after EXILE or so Keith's music just weren't exciting for him - just repitive and seemingly going downhill in quality (and in quantity as well). And remember: Mick had seen what this man once was - how great, unique, fresh stuff he could have come up with. But he also saw and understood the change in creativity. As the 70's go further, it was clear that there were no any longer any gimmesheltesr, honkytonkwomens or streetfightingmans to be born. There were half-baked riffs saying the same thing over and again, the recording processes just taking longer and longer, when a certain right 'feel' was waited to be come, and the result of all that time, money and drugs wasted would be something as mind-blowing as "Dance Little Sister".

I don't think the music in CROSSEYED HEART means much to Jagger (or, like hoped here, "open his eyes"). I guess for him it is stuff he has seen Keith doing for decades (he probably knows this man musically better than anyone else). He once commented TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER by a telling remark that it sounds the same as the half-finished songs Keith does for the Stones. Probably he is just pleased that Keith get it out by himself and he doesn't need to bother himself with it...

It is no any wonder that their most fruitful colloboration of the last decades happens to be the one on which Keith made his contribution almost 40 years earlier - Jagger sounds surprisingly inspired in "Plundered My Soul", and probably put more effort into it than to any Keith song for ages.

So this was just some food for thought to those who see the artistic downhill of the Stones solely as a fault of Mick Jagger, and if Keith had more say on things, Mick would listen him more, etc the things would have been better or even so great again. Bullshit. The guy just stopped delivering the goods. It takes two to a tango..

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-10-29 11:19 by Doxa.

Date: October 29, 2015 11:17

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: October 29, 2015 12:05

Doxa

So this was just some food for thought to those who see the artistic downhill of the Stones solely as a fault of Mick Jagger, and if Keith had more say on things, Mick would listen him more, etc the things would have been better or even so great again. Bullshit. The guy just stopped delivering the goods. It takes two to a tango..

- Doxa

It's neither the fault of Mick nor of Keith. They just - as you correctly put it - don't inspire each other anymore. It's nobody's fault and it's actually quite a natural thing. I can't think of any songwriter team that could inspire each other for so long as Jagger and Richards did.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: October 29, 2015 12:07

Your post was a good read, Doxa!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 29, 2015 13:23

matxil
Doxa

- Doxa

It's neither the fault of Mick nor of Keith. They just - as you correctly put it - don't inspire each other anymore. It's nobody's fault and it's actually quite a natural thing. I can't think of any songwriter team that could inspire each other for so long as Jagger and Richards did.

Exactly. It is no one's fault. You can't force creativity, you can't force yourself being inspired by other's ideas, if you find them dull (this goes both ways). That needs to be natural; the miracle of muse. As far as I am concerned, the best music these guys have done since the 80's is their solo works. None of that is even close to the stuff they did together in their hey-day, but usually better and more inspired than their forced-sounding, compromised Stones co-efforts. I mean, WANDERING SPIRIT was better than VOODOO LOUNGE; CROSSEYED HEART is is better album than A BIGGER BANG, etc. But of course, neither of them is any EXILE ON MAIN STREET.

- Doxa

Date: October 29, 2015 13:33

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 29, 2015 13:41

Doxa
mr_dja

I think you hit the nail here. The reason for the downhill for Stones music in quality and quantity for the last 35 years or so: Keith just doesn't inspire Mick any longer. I think the problem was obvious by the time of making EMOTIONAL RSECUE but it could be that the hailed EXILE was teh last time The Glimmer Twins had a creative respect towards each other - or Mick was actually paying attention into what Keith did,and being even excited about it.

Usually this is seen that the reason is that Mick and Keith had developed very different tastes for what they consider good music; Mick being a trend follower, and Keith a rootsman (which is to say: Keith creatively stopped to the musical premises of EXILE, Mick not). That partly is true, but the style or a genre of music is not the whole point: the question is has someone something to say, that is, can one form inspiring, great music from a given genre? If one digs blues or country that alone will not constitute great, authentic music - something the Stones actually did during their heyday (The Big Four), and excelled and completed in EXILE.

So if we consider this from Mick's point of view - not popular here - after EXILE or so Keith's music just weren't exciting for him - just repitive and seemingly going downhill in quality (and in quantity as well). And remember: Mick had seen what this man once was - how great, unique, fresh stuff he could have come up with. But he also saw and understood the change in creativity. As the 70's go further, it was clear that there were no any longer any gimmesheltesr, honkytonkwomens or streetfightingmans to be born. There were half-baked riffs saying the same thing over and again, the recording processes just taking longer and longer, when a certain right 'feel' was waited to be come, and the result of all that time, money and drugs wasted would be something as mind-blowing as "Dance Little Sister".

I don't think the music in CROSSEYED HEART means much to Jagger (or, like hoped here, "open his eyes"). I guess for him it is stuff he has seen Keith doing for decades (he probably knows this man musically better than anyone else). He once commented TALK IS CHEAP or MAIN OFFENDER by a telling remark that it sounds the same as the half-finished songs Keith does for the Stones. Probably he is just pleased that Keith get it out by himself and he doesn't need to bother himself with it...

It is no any wonder that their most fruitful colloboration of the last decades happens to be the one on which Keith made his contribution almost 40 years earlier - Jagger sounds surprisingly inspired in "Plundered My Soul", and probably put more effort into it than to any Keith song for ages.

- Doxa

A post Ive been waiting for. Good read. Thank you. Just one thing though: Dance little sister is great! But yes, it's a lucky strike, a groove that happens to be great. It's a throw-away but they were very good at producing those back then.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 29, 2015 14:55

Redhotcarpet
Doxa
mr_dja

- Doxa

A post Ive been waiting for. Good read. Thank you. Just one thing though: Dance little sister is great! But yes, it's a lucky strike, a groove that happens to be great. It's a throw-away but they were very good at producing those back then.

I guess we'll have to see what transpires over the next few months. It's very likely the Stones will be recording a new album. I can only assume everyone is on board, why would they go through another painful creative period? Why would Jagger put himself thru this if there's no inspiration provided by Keith? What's to be gained?

I will say if they put out an underwhelming album it's their loss more than the fans loss this time around. That being said I'm excited for the prospects that we'll get a good bunch of tunes. thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: October 29, 2015 15:09

I agree with Doxa's post.

Date: October 29, 2015 15:23

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-10 14:40 by DandelionPowderman.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...214215216217218219220221222223224...LastNext
Current Page: 219 of 257

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1706
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home