Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: alternate takes 1989 - blinded by love / mixed emotions - terrifying
Date: September 19, 2013 12:03

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

However, making songs ready to play live is the way to go. Still, the whiners will complain about the songs sounding generic on record, but so what - IORR!

A-ha, that very word belongs to your vocabulary as well. I hope everything's alright in the cheerleaders' section...

- Doxa

Everything's all right in the FAN section winking smiley

You have never heard me criticise anything about the Stones, right? drinking smiley

Not much, unless there is Mick Taylor involved...winking smiley

- Doxa

You've been here long enough to recall my countless thoughts about Ronnie's playing in the 90s and Keith's playing in the 00s - this is solely a case of subjective memory grinning smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 19, 2013 16:41

DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
flacnvinyl
Steel Wheels was butchered in post-production. We all love hearing the guys together in a room grooving together. Hold On To Your Hat is a great example of what went wrong. I do not have the recording handy (currently redoing my RAID server at home) but there is a great version of HOTYH where you can actually hear the rhythm guitar which SLAYS. Keith's fills are ok, but the rhythm drives it like crazy. The studio version puts snare and vocals up front with guitars in the background... ruins it.

The other hidden thing is that the main problem with the record is the drum sound. Charlie's snare sounds like a nail being driven by a hammer. Give me the sound off Emotional Rescue or Voodoo Lounge for Charlie ANYDAY! Steel Wheels gives us the thinnest and worst drum mix of any album aside from the early 60s material.

Guitars are no longer prominent. The production blends everything together. Sad Sad Sad is a great example... by far my favorite track on the record. The guitars are great but still too low in the mix and often very thin. If you have a decent stereo you can make some adjustments to bring out the hidden/buried guitars in the mix and tune them to the surround speakers. Dolby M (music) does this PERFECTLY. Great little guitar fills across the spectrum and just buried in the mix!!

FX - That is the main thing that destroys the vibe. I have thought many times that I would love for the Stones to do what the Beatles did with Let It Be... 'naked'. Get rid of the Spector stuff on it, and present the tracks as originally recorded. Steel Wheels without the 80s sheen could be a fantastic record. Heck, let Don Was at it but make him use a good mastering engineer who wont destroy the dynamic range.

EQ - It is just too bright and thin. Listen to She's So Cold, then listen to Mixed Emotions. The drum sound is most startling.. a decade later and they managed to RUIN the great sound the Stones had over in Parthe.

this is exactly what i was thinking,though you expressed it better than i ever could have.listening to these tracks really brought out something that i had been suspecting for years-the stones are the stones,its the production thats killing these latter day records.

i'm not saying they could've made let it bleed in the 80's but these records seem like they could've held up against maybe a goats head or an emotional rescue if they were recorded properly.
when you said "listen to she's so cold, then listen to mixed emotions" that was perfect.

people think i'm joking when i say i like dirty work,but its the same kind of thing.listen to the actual guitar playing on DW ,they are playing their asses off on that record.
at the time keith said dirty work "cooked just below the surface,its built for the road" -looking back,the production IS that surface.without it,it would've just cooked.
[-and you guys, spare me the "its micks vocals on DW,its the lyrics, it just sucks blah blah.i know its a badge of honor to outdo each other about not liking the record but its redundant at this point]

theres a thread about"should the stones make another record" -i've actually changed my mind about it-yes they should,just dont make it sound like it was recorded through the filter in my fishtank.

thumbs up

I'd also like to see a new album, but to say Dirty Work is bad just because of the production is ridiculous. The writing is important, the lyrics are important, Mick's singing is important, the playing is important...in total they suck on this album. Saying the production would have improved it is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Date: September 19, 2013 16:44

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
flacnvinyl
Steel Wheels was butchered in post-production. We all love hearing the guys together in a room grooving together. Hold On To Your Hat is a great example of what went wrong. I do not have the recording handy (currently redoing my RAID server at home) but there is a great version of HOTYH where you can actually hear the rhythm guitar which SLAYS. Keith's fills are ok, but the rhythm drives it like crazy. The studio version puts snare and vocals up front with guitars in the background... ruins it.

The other hidden thing is that the main problem with the record is the drum sound. Charlie's snare sounds like a nail being driven by a hammer. Give me the sound off Emotional Rescue or Voodoo Lounge for Charlie ANYDAY! Steel Wheels gives us the thinnest and worst drum mix of any album aside from the early 60s material.

Guitars are no longer prominent. The production blends everything together. Sad Sad Sad is a great example... by far my favorite track on the record. The guitars are great but still too low in the mix and often very thin. If you have a decent stereo you can make some adjustments to bring out the hidden/buried guitars in the mix and tune them to the surround speakers. Dolby M (music) does this PERFECTLY. Great little guitar fills across the spectrum and just buried in the mix!!

FX - That is the main thing that destroys the vibe. I have thought many times that I would love for the Stones to do what the Beatles did with Let It Be... 'naked'. Get rid of the Spector stuff on it, and present the tracks as originally recorded. Steel Wheels without the 80s sheen could be a fantastic record. Heck, let Don Was at it but make him use a good mastering engineer who wont destroy the dynamic range.

EQ - It is just too bright and thin. Listen to She's So Cold, then listen to Mixed Emotions. The drum sound is most startling.. a decade later and they managed to RUIN the great sound the Stones had over in Parthe.

this is exactly what i was thinking,though you expressed it better than i ever could have.listening to these tracks really brought out something that i had been suspecting for years-the stones are the stones,its the production thats killing these latter day records.

i'm not saying they could've made let it bleed in the 80's but these records seem like they could've held up against maybe a goats head or an emotional rescue if they were recorded properly.
when you said "listen to she's so cold, then listen to mixed emotions" that was perfect.

people think i'm joking when i say i like dirty work,but its the same kind of thing.listen to the actual guitar playing on DW ,they are playing their asses off on that record.
at the time keith said dirty work "cooked just below the surface,its built for the road" -looking back,the production IS that surface.without it,it would've just cooked.
[-and you guys, spare me the "its micks vocals on DW,its the lyrics, it just sucks blah blah.i know its a badge of honor to outdo each other about not liking the record but its redundant at this point]

theres a thread about"should the stones make another record" -i've actually changed my mind about it-yes they should,just dont make it sound like it was recorded through the filter in my fishtank.

thumbs up

I'd also like to see a new album, but to say Dirty Work is bad just because of the production is ridiculous. The writing is important, the lyrics are important, Mick's singing is important, the playing is important...in total they suck on this album. Saying the production would have improved it is like putting lipstick on a pig.

I agree, but the playing on DW was probably just as good as what they'd done in the past.

Date: September 19, 2013 16:47

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
flacnvinyl

thumbs up

I agree, but the playing on DW was probably just as good as what they'd done in the past.

one out of 5 ain't bad!

Date: September 19, 2013 17:00

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
flacnvinyl

thumbs up

one out of 5 ain't bad!

It's something...

Date: September 19, 2013 17:10

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
flacnvinyl

thumbs up

one out of 5 ain't bad!

It's something...

Maybe they should have played on someone else's album from 1986?

JUST THINK OF THE POSSIBILITIES!

Date: September 19, 2013 17:14

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
flacnvinyl

thumbs up

one out of 5 ain't bad!

It's something...

Think Visual (1986)by The Kinks was a little light on guitars...

Date: September 19, 2013 17:15

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman
lem motlow
flacnvinyl

thumbs up

one out of 5 ain't bad!

It's something...

Think Visual (1986)by The Kinks was a little light on guitars...

You see, now we're making progress!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2013 18:35

Gazza
GasLightStreet
When y'all ape about Continental Drift are you talking about the actual song or what the Master Musicians Of Joujouka did?

the song in general. Its probably the best thing theyve done post-Tattoo You.

I've never been able to understand the love for Conitnental Drift. The actual song, the Stones, is just... meandering. It sounds like a Matt Clifford keyboard song or a Primitive Cool leftover. Is there even any guitar on it? So Keith plays a spoon on a bicycle wheel.

It's way too processed, sterile sounding. Oh well. I like the instrumental part and found it brilliant for the opening of their shows on that tour. The rest of it does nothing for me.

Date: September 19, 2013 20:00

There are lots of very audible analog instruments there as well smiling smiley

Not much guitar on RT either, but it's great.

However, I can see that this is very different cut, and it's obviously not everyone's cup of tea...

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 19, 2013 23:08

DandelionPowderman
He wasn't a contemporary producer in the musical sense. He was "contemporary" because he took the bands he worked with back to their roots and stripped them down. Listen to what he did with the Cult. Amazing!

Before Rubin:

With Rubin as the producer:

Then you know of Electric Ocean and how that changed. Although the first version of it is excellent without a doubt (and is essentially the closest thing they've ever done to imitiating Rain outright) the one on Peace is way too long and rambling. The Electric version is astounding.

Aphrodisiac Jacket didn't change a whole lot, possibly the only song from Peace to make the transisition to Electric without losing the most.

Wild Flower is almost a completely differnt song, although I like the bridge from the Peace version.

Rubin did a great job of stripping down that "pussy English music" as he put it.

Date: September 19, 2013 23:37

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
He wasn't a contemporary producer in the musical sense. He was "contemporary" because he took the bands he worked with back to their roots and stripped them down. Listen to what he did with the Cult. Amazing!

Before Rubin:

With Rubin as the producer:

Then you know of Electric Ocean and how that changed. Although the first version of it is excellent without a doubt (and is essentially the closest thing they've ever done to imitiating Rain outright) the one on Peace is way too long and rambling. The Electric version is astounding.

Aphrodisiac Jacket didn't change a whole lot, possibly the only song from Peace to make the transisition to Electric without losing the most.

Wild Flower is almost a completely differnt song, although I like the bridge from the Peace version.

Rubin did a great job of stripping down that "pussy English music" as he put it.

Not to forget his decision to insert the SMU-riff in Love Removal Machine. Shamelessly brilliant!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-19 23:37 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 20, 2013 06:03

Erik_Snow
NICOS
They sound much better to me than what they released on Steels Wheels

I bet Blinded By Love sound better in an even earlier stage.....before the song was ever written!

I love Blinded By Love ... pretty sappy I suppose, but I just think its a great song.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2104
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home