Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10
Re: The Last Great Stones Song?
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 17, 2013 00:27

paulywaul
NedKelly
ONE MORE SHOT! GREAT SONG!

You ARE joking .......... right ? It's worthless crap !

It's a great song! What do you like? Shattered?

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: September 17, 2013 00:29

paulywaul
NedKelly

Great Pick!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:06

The Last Time

After that, they were just sort of on autopilot.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: September 17, 2013 01:28

Saint of me

Out of Control (Live version of course)

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: September 17, 2013 03:50

mtaylor
Richard from Canada
Back to Zero. :-)

Yeah exactly - reminds me, when I hear Macca's "New", how ridiculous and uncritically songs can be written.

Melody my man. Good pop song, what do you want electric argument opener

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 03:51 by black n blue.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: September 17, 2013 13:00

Always with the Doom and Gloom here...

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 17, 2013 13:43

i know everybody will laugh at this Doom and Gloom . classic stones rocker !!!!!!!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 17, 2013 13:53

TheGreek
i know everybody will laugh at this Doom and Gloom . classic stones rocker !!!!!!!

Why? I think it has most votes so far.grinning smiley

But interesting phenomenon is that there seem to be a tendency to either pick up some SOME GIRLS/TATTOO YOU era track, or go all the way to "Doom & Gloom"...

- Doxa

Posted by: goingmad ()
Date: September 17, 2013 14:33

Love is strong
Saint of me
Out of control (live)
How can I stop
Rough Justice
Laugh I nearly died
Doom & Gloom

Classics and great songs for me...

Date: September 17, 2013 15:14

Doxa
TheGreek

But interesting phenomenon is that there seem to be a tendency to either pick up some SOME GIRLS/TATTOO YOU era track, or go all the way to "Doom & Gloom"...

- Doxa

Many VL, B2B and ABB-tracks have also been mentioned. My guess is that many of the fans who like those songs also like Undercover or SW-tracks - hence they won't be mentioned, since they also love songs that came later smiling smiley

Date: September 17, 2013 15:44

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
TheGreek

- Doxa

Many VL, B2B and ABB-tracks have also been mentioned. My guess is that many of the fans who like those songs also like Undercover or SW-tracks - hence they won't be mentioned, since they also love songs that came later smiling smiley

Well, that's what I was hinting at... The issue is if there is 'greatness' after classical SOME GIRLS/TATTOO YOU days, or not. Those who think there is, seem to be much willing to see greatness almost anything the Stones have done ever since. But quite many sees not. That seems to be a borderline - to accept post-TATTOO YOU greatness, or not...

- Doxa

Date: September 17, 2013 15:47

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
TheGreek

- Doxa

Well, that's what I was hinting at... The issue is if there is 'greatness' after classical SOME GIRLS/TATTOO YOU days, or not. Those who think there is, seem to be much willing to see greatness almost anything the Stones have done ever since. But quite many sees not. That seems to be a borderline - to accept post-TATTOO YOU greatness, or not...

- Doxa

That is way too simple to conclude on, imo.

I'm pretty sure there are lots of fans who absolutely love How Can I Stop and Saint Of Me, but at the same time almost despise Can't Be Seen and Had It With You - not to mention Streets Of Love and Back To Zero grinning smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: September 17, 2013 15:51

Another vote for Rough Justice. Then Doom 'n' Gloom.

Date: September 17, 2013 15:54

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
TheGreek

- Doxa

- Doxa

That is way too simple to conclude on, imo.

I'm pretty sure there are lots of fans who absolutely love How Can I Stop and Saint Of Me, but at the same time almost despise Can't Be Seen and Had It With You - not to mention Streets Of Love and Back To Zero grinning smiley

Okay, I was provocative. Let's put the sentence this way: "Those who think there is, seem to be much willing to see greatness in the highlights of any new Stones material ever since". Will that do?grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: September 17, 2013 16:06

And then there are those who are so unwilling, bound and determined to never see any possible greatness in any new Stones material. Those who are predetermined that nothing new from The Stones can be good, they are stuck in 1972, and that is that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 16:07 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 17, 2013 16:20

TATTOO YOU was the last gasp of greatness from the Stones, in my opinion. Maybe not quite STICKY FINGERS or EXILE ON MAIN STREET greatness, but there are songs on that album that can stand up alongside the classics, without feeling largely inferior, even if, in using a more critical eye, they may not be quite of the same calibre. For example, put 'Start Me Up' alongside their hits, say 'Jumpin' Jack Flash', 'Brown Sugar', 'Honky Tonk Women' etc. within a compilation, and it doesn't sound wildly out of place. However, if you do the same with 'Doom And Gloom', 'Love Is Strong', 'Mixed Emotions' and 'Rough Justice', they do sound, if not bad (which i think is being rather generous on my part), still rather anonymous and no more than just another song, another riff etc. without the distinction and individuality to make them anything special. That's the story of the later Stones, unfortunately. Even when they do sound vaguely like their former selves, there's just not enough content to accuse them of doing any more than going through the motions. That doesn't just account for the mainly rocker type Stones songs i have mentioned either, it's fairly true of all catagories of music within their output (although i admit some of the later ballads are marginally more successful, but no more than that). Perhaps the last song that comes closest to staking a claim as the last great Stones song, is 'Undercover Of The Night', but i still don't think it quite gets there.

Date: September 17, 2013 16:25

Give it 50 years and no one will be cutting it apart like this, there will simply be the Stones catalog of music, start to finish, no cut off points, no past their prime points, just The Stones music.

No one in 50 years will say....
"I dont like The Stones after this album, or this song".

Date: September 17, 2013 16:34

<However, if you do the same with 'Doom And Gloom', 'Love Is Strong', 'Mixed Emotions' and 'Rough Justice'>

Well, there could be many reasons for that. One of them has to do with sound, mixing and production. Out of the songs you mention here, I think Love Is Strong would have been a good fit in their early 70s albums - with analog sound, that is. There is something about those 1s and 0s that makes digital a bad match for the Stones's sound imo. LIS has the mystique, darkness and danger to be a classic.

Although I love D&G, the song is a bit too one-dimensional to hold up to the old classics, but it's still great.

More mature songs like Biggest Mistake, The Worst, How Can I Stop and Already Over Me (minus the weak chorus!) are not far behind the old greatness of songs like Waiting On A Friend, Coming Down Again and Memory Motel, imo.

And the brave (and imo successful) effort of Continental Drift deserves way more love on this board!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 17, 2013 16:41

Max'sKansasCity
Give it 50 years and no one will be cutting it apart like this, there will simply be the Stones catalog of music, start to finish, no cut off points, no past their prime points, just The Stones music.

Unfortunately though, few will ever acknowledge anything the Stones have done post 1981, or perhaps even much earlier, the difference in quality is just so great (and just so obvious!). It's the same with some of the albums by Paul McCartney (PRESS TO PLAY and BACK TO THE EGG) when compared with his Beatles output, REVOLVER, SGT PEPPER and ABBEY ROAD etc (and as if that's not already happening now). Of course, there will always be obsessives who may prove an exception, and devour everything they have done, but even then i suspect it may be more for reference, than enjoyment purposes.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: September 17, 2013 16:43

treaclefingers
The Last Time

>grinning smiley<

Date: September 17, 2013 16:49

Edward Twining
Max'sKansasCity

Unfortunately though, few will ever acknowledge anything the Stones have done post 1981, or perhaps even much earlier, the difference in quality is just so great (and just so obvious!). It's the same with some of the albums by Paul McCartney (PRESS TO PLAY and BACK TO THE EGG) when compared with his Beatles output, REVOLVER, SGT PEPPER and ABBEY ROAD etc (and as if that's not already happening now). Of course, there will always be obsessives who may prove an exception, and devour everything they have done, but even then i suspect it may be more for reference, than enjoyment purposes.

We don't know if people will view it that way in 50 years. Remember, the group of hard core Taylorites on this board is relatively small. Many have VL and even ABB among their favourite 5 albums. It's a little easy saying that it's obvious that the quality gap is huge, even if you and I think so smiling smiley

Date: September 17, 2013 17:01

So some people thinks there is a huge quality gap
between this song and other Stones songs... really?

And a huge quality gap for this one too?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-17 17:06 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: September 17, 2013 17:23

I give points to Rough Justice, for being the one exception that REALLY proved the "there aren't any more good riffs left in open G" theory.

Date: September 17, 2013 17:26

Max'sKansasCity
So some people thinks there is a huge quality gap
between this song and other Stones songs... really?

And a huge quality gap for this one too?

Beats me! Both songs are awesome thumbs up

Date: September 17, 2013 17:40

DandelionPowderman

Beats me! Both songs are awesome thumbs up

smileys with beer I think so too!

STONES!

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 17, 2013 18:04

Doom and Gloom

Date: September 17, 2013 18:44

DandelionPowderman
Edward Twining
Max'sKansasCity

We don't know if people will view it that way in 50 years. Remember, the group of hard core Taylorites on this board is relatively small. Many have VL and even ABB among their favourite 5 albums. It's a little easy saying that it's obvious that the quality gap is huge, even if you and I think so smiling smiley

Hmm... let's say that The Rolling Stones themselves are not particularly proud of their post-TATTOO YOU material if we look at their set lists, for example, during this recent celebrational tours of theirs.... And I don't think Jagger particularly has some marginal Taylorities in his mind when he chooses the songs to play... One needs a lot of fancy if one thinks that some day A BIGGER BANG is seen as worthy as EXILE ON MAIN STREET or "Doom & Gloom" equivalent to "Satisfaction" or "Gimme Shelter" in greatness... Probably someone always will do, like some idiosyncratic diehard fans today, but in a larger scale, no way...

- Doxa

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 17, 2013 19:45

treaclefingers
The Last Time

smiling smiley I think they already sold out after they changed their name from Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys to the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: September 17, 2013 19:48

People who think Doom and Gloom is on the same level as anything from Beggers Banquet up to Exile..., well, they are lucky I guess, because they can expect a lot more where that came from. They don't need even have to wait for the next Stones album. Just tune a guitar in open G, hit all strings and after each alternating beat but a finger on the second string and hit again, repeat this process until 4 minutes have gone by.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: September 17, 2013 20:18

More Hot Rocks
paulywaul
NedKelly

It's a great song! What do you like? Shattered?

Shattered is one of the classics from the era of greatness. I love it, one of their best. Shes so cold is in the same league.

Goto Page: Previous12345678910Next
Current Page: 5 of 10

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1296
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home