Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Track Talk: Out Of Control
Posted by: BJPortugal ()
Date: September 9, 2013 22:29

Another good track on Bridges to Babylon thumbs up

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: September 9, 2013 22:56

Always dug this version:

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: September 9, 2013 23:19

Lyrically it reminds me of ALL THE WAY DOWN (Mick looking back).

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 9, 2013 23:20

Now wouldn't you rather here this than Shattered.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: September 9, 2013 23:52

andrewt
Always dug this version:

Me too, Keith doing his backup singer moves always makes me laugh. grinning smiley

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: September 10, 2013 00:14

Keith's guitar work at 4:22 underneath Ronnie's wah-wah is just menacing.

That's the part I was talking about in my prior post about his guitar howling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 04:11 by beachbreak.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 10, 2013 00:22

Well, judging by everyone's comments here it seems I've ignored the Bridges to Babylon album for too long. I must've give it a listen, or at least 3 or 4 tracks.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: September 10, 2013 06:24

Generally speaking, over the years, I think the live presentation of this song is basically silly. Jagger feels the need to cue the audience with his dancing, same with the unnecessary light show. Not a bad song. Ronnie makes noise on the wah-wah. But the long realization is that the band has lost confidence to allow the music, the lyrics, the playing stand on its own. It has lost confidence to be anything but exciting. Songs have to be sold. Over the years Jagger has over sold this song. It is a song about emotional turmoil and I think understating it would be more effective.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 10, 2013 07:04

treaclefingers
Godxofxrock9
i think its always worked better live

I agree...very rare in the Stones catalogue in that regard.

Midnight Rambler is the only other tune that immediately comes to mind.

Wrong. The studio version of Midnight Rambler is simply too complex and absorbing for the beer swilling, t-shirt grubbing set that makes up a concert audience. Have to simplify it for the masses.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 10, 2013 09:19

andrewt
Always dug this version:

I have never seen this version, so thank you. It's The Stones doing what they do best!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-10 09:20 by strat72.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 10, 2013 09:21

Yeah, one of their best songs from their late period. Musically no equavalent in their earlier material, so also a rare moment of inspiration and creativity, thereby richening their musical vocabulary. The beginning reminds me of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", if any prior 'source' needs to be mentioned.

That said, I have always felt that the original studio version is a bit underworked, so the song's full potentiality can be heard better in live versions. That's why I take the NO SECURITY version to be THE version (the strong audience reaction - was it in Argentina? - helps nicely the version to 'flow').

I have always thought the song to be a pure Jagger's brain child so that odd quote by Keith sounds confusing to my ears. I never heard it either. If true, a rare glimpse of the Glimmer Twins being able to produce together something novel and memorable since the 70's.

- Doxa

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 10, 2013 09:51

Mick was really living this song at that point of his life, and it has all the makings of a classic. It's full of tension, conflict, and yearning, and these elements make for the most engaging and effective art, be it music or literature or whatever.

That's why Mick--or Keith, for that matter--doesn't have another Out Of Control in him as a songwriter. His life is now too settled, too domestic, too.... controlled.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 10, 2013 11:43

OOC could have have become a warhorse, unfortunately it did not. It was always fantastic live, I love the drums on the studio version.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 10, 2013 13:18

andrewt
Always dug this version:

Wow!! This really kicks the studio version's ass. Everything works here and lifts the track to a much higher plane. Thanks andrewt.

seitan

Keith said in an interview that he wrote it with Mick. - Mick wrote the lyrics. Keef wrote the music.

This surprises me too. Seitan, do you have the source for this interview? Thanks.

Drew

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 10, 2013 13:27

Their best song from '89 to the present, hands down.

Date: September 10, 2013 16:46

drewmaster
andrewt
Always dug this version:

Wow!! This really kicks the studio version's ass. Everything works here and lifts the track to a much higher plane. Thanks andrewt.

seitan

Keith said in an interview that he wrote it with Mick. - Mick wrote the lyrics. Keef wrote the music.

This surprises me too. Seitan, do you have the source for this interview? Thanks.

Drew

There is no need for another source. It is now stated here - in iorr. If it is stated multiple times on iorr, then it becomes a source onto itself.

Date: September 10, 2013 16:51

andrewt
Always dug this version:

Perfection! thumbs up

Date: September 11, 2013 01:43

wanderingspirit66
drewmaster

seitan

Drew

There is no need for another source. It is now stated here - in iorr. If it is stated multiple times on iorr, then it becomes a source onto itself.

Uhh, ok. Sure.

Drew

Date: September 11, 2013 01:45

DandelionPowderman
andrewt
Always dug this version:

Perfection! thumbs up

Agreed. They took something rather ordinary and transformed it into something very special.

Drew

Date: September 11, 2013 02:24

Doxa
Yeah, one of their best songs from their late period. Musically no equavalent in their earlier material, so also a rare moment of inspiration and creativity, thereby richening their musical vocabulary. The beginning reminds me of "Papa Was A Rolling Stone", if any prior 'source' needs to be mentioned.

That said, I have always felt that the original studio version is a bit underworked, so the song's full potentiality can be heard better in live versions. That's why I take the NO SECURITY version to be THE version (the strong audience reaction - was it in Argentina? - helps nicely the version to 'flow').

I have always thought the song to be a pure Jagger's brain child so that odd quote by Keith sounds confusing to my ears. I never heard it either. If true, a rare glimpse of the Glimmer Twins being able to produce together something novel and memorable since the 70's.

- Doxa

The song is of course fantastic - on record and live; but which odd quote Doxa? There is no quote from Keith - just quotes from iorr members who purport some nonsense, repeat it often enough until others start believing that there was a quote from Keith

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 11, 2013 04:29

A terrific track. Bridges To Babylon is overly long and patchy in places, but Out Of Control and Saint Of Me are two genuine moments of shinning majesty.

Date: September 11, 2013 10:13

wanderingspirit66
Doxa

- Doxa

The song is of course fantastic - on record and live; but which odd quote Doxa? There is no quote from Keith - just quotes from iorr members who purport some nonsense, repeat it often enough until others start believing that there was a quote from Keith

Well, I left the option open that Seitan's reference might be true, but, frankly, I doubt it very much (so, the song is a pure Jagger song, but, then again, is that confirmed either ever, or is that just an assumption, or an educated guess?). But since Seitan is my country fellow, and we Finns don't bullshitgrinning smiley, I assume that he might have misremembered something. We all do that.

But what goes for your idea that "By talking IORR makes facts" - a good one, though, and I think that is very much a disease of social media - I think it works other way round here. Since there is a rather big amount of us Stones devotees here, it forms a 'critical mass' that is able to put any claim under a tough scrutiny. I mean, the fact that everyone sounded surprised by that claim, and not a single one backing it up - like "oh yeah, I do remember that quote as well" - that makes rather likely that the quote doesn't exist at all.

We are a quasi-scientific Stoneslogy department here...>grinning smiley<smileys with beer

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 10:17 by Doxa.

Date: September 11, 2013 10:18

The only Keith-quote I've seen on this song is this:

"Out of Control has that bass riff from Papa Was a Rolling Stone... (H)ey, if anybody can do that (joke), it's us (laughs). Mick played the harmonica solo on that one. He's getting better, man".

- Keith Richards, 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: September 11, 2013 10:36

DandelionPowderman

"Out of Control has that bass riff from Papa Was a Rolling Stone... (H)ey, if anybody can do that (joke), it's us (laughs). Mick played the harmonica solo on that one. He's getting better, man".

- Keith Richards, 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

A riff rip off from a soul tune? Obviously, it is a Keith song then...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: September 11, 2013 10:57

DandelionPowderman

- Keith Richards, 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Funny how they would give the (musically) Mick song Anybody Seen My Baby a kd Lang co-credit (at Keith's insistence), but the (musically) Keith song Out Of Control doesn't give co-credit to Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong--and from what we have learned lately Barrett Strong sure could have used the publishing.[www.nytimes.com]

Date: September 11, 2013 11:34

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

- Keith Richards, 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Funny how they would give the (musically) Mick song Anybody Seen My Baby a kd Lang co-credit (at Keith's insistence), but the (musically) Keith song Out Of Control doesn't give co-credit to Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong--and from what we have learned lately Barrett Strong sure could have used the publishing.[www.nytimes.com]

Well, it is a Mick-song, and the bass riff isn't really a rip-off. If one could rip off feel, it would have been, though smiling smiley

However, they did indeed rip off the Faces arrangement of another Temptations-tune, and used it on OOC:

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: September 11, 2013 11:37

stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

- Keith Richards, 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

"I had written a lot of songs coming into this project that I´d already done. I´d written them and thy were all finished and completed. I didn´t really necessarily know we were going to do a Stones record at that point...(I wrote)Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint of Me...Gunface, Out of Control, Might As Well Get Juiced."

- Mick Jagger 1997

Date: September 11, 2013 11:48

DandelionPowderman
stonehearted
DandelionPowderman

- Keith Richards, 1997

[timeisonourside.com]

Well, it is a Mick-song, and the bass riff isn't really a rip-off. If one could rip off feel, it would have been, though smiling smiley

However, they did indeed rip off the Faces arrangement of another Temptations-tune, and used it on OOC:

The bass riff along with those snatches of wah-wah guitar at the beginning of OOC and in the interludes between the chorus--I mean the very structure of the song is virtually a re-write of PWARS, it's the only thing I could think of first time I heard the song and every time since. But I guess it only really matters, from a lawsuit for plagiarism sense, if the main chorus hook is similar--like in My Sweet Lord--as it's the chorus/melody hook that is the main selling point of a song anyway.

As for the Faces rip-off--I'm sure Ronnie okayed that, to get at Rod the Mod most likely.

Date: September 11, 2013 12:45

elunsi

"I had written a lot of songs coming into this project that I´d already done. I´d written them and thy were all finished and completed. I didn´t really necessarily know we were going to do a Stones record at that point...(I wrote)Anybody Seen My Baby, Saint of Me...Gunface, Out of Control, Might As Well Get Juiced."

- Mick Jagger 1997

Okay, that quote makes the possible Keith contribution out of question. It was a song from upcoming Jagger's solo album (okay, he doesn't "necessarily" claim that, but hey...), like we had been thinking throughout the years ... Would have been a nice follower of WANDERING SPIRIT, but I guess it was still better option to use the best songs - made seemingly out of creative freedom without the "necessary" 'this needs to sound like The Stones' constraint in his mind - in a Stones project.

If a modern Andrew Loog Oldham would exist, he should lock up Jagger in the kitchen, and say "okay, Mick, you write songs for your solo album there". Then, as he had done the job, force him to use them to a Stones project...grinning smiley Might work with Keith as well...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-09-11 12:47 by Doxa.

Date: September 11, 2013 12:51

Yes, for once, you can say that Jagger gave the best songs he had going at the time for a Stones project, and without those five B2B might have been a real clunker. But why was not playing on Saint Of Me and apparently also Anybody Seen My Baby? Has that been covered here?

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home