Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: Goats Head Soup - 40th anniversary
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2013 11:37

ROCKMAN

Date: September 3, 2013 11:38

grinning smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 3, 2013 11:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 3, 2013 18:35

DandelionPowderman
Happy belated birthday, Roll 73 smileys with beer

Cheers DP thumbs up

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 3, 2013 18:50

GHS: Classic. Beautiful. Part of my life!

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: September 3, 2013 19:19

Well, i like GOATS HEAD SOUP more than anything the Stones have released since, and that includes SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU, although perhaps those albums may seem a lot more accessible to a larger audience (perhaps being a little more tight and focused and energetic). What i love most about GOATS HEAD SOUP is the fact that it's pretty unusual in places, in a sense. Songs like '100 Years Ago', 'Winter' and 'Can You Hear The Music?' belong to a very different era, from that of the glossy corporate pop/rock we are subjected to today, and the slightly blurred and meandering feel to many of these songs are also part of its appeal, for me.

In a sense i agree with Dandelion's estimation of tracks such as 'Silver Train' being lazy, or at the very least a little too typical of what has gone before, although i felt that a little about 'All Down The Line' too, which has some pleasing elements too, but which i have never felt fully enamoured with as a whole. Maybe all the elements don't fit together so well as they might? 'Silver Train' is a little softer than 'All Down The Line', and fits in well within the mood of GOATS HEAD SOUP. For me it is still a long way off from the more forced and ever more formulaic 'If You Can't Rock Me' and 'Dance Little Sister'. 'Star Star' however, doesn't really fit in with the mood of the album at all, but it is actually positioned well on the album as its final track, as it lifts the mood so effectively.

What i think GOATS HEAD SOUP may lack in relation to BEGGARS BANQUET - EXILE ON MAIN STREET are conventionally great songs. The Stones around this period sound a little tired, and frayed around the edges. Those songs like 'Dancing With Mr D', 'Can You Hear The Music?', 'Winter', and to a degree 'Heartbreaker' , sound strangely self indulgent, and lacking, almost as though the Stones were slipping into some sort of musical haze, as if perhaps they may have been lacking a little in terms of clarity. However, the beauty of GOATS HEAD SOUP is what many of these songs manage to reveal over repeated listens. Like, for example, 'Hot Stuff' and Hey Negrita' off BLACK AND BLUE, it isn't the sum of the parts which makes many of these songs great, but some of the individual elements they happen to possess. Taken on these terms, GOATS HEAD SOUP makes for a beautifully compelling listen.

Date: September 4, 2013 08:10

Munichhilton
Mathijs
michaelsavage
Mathijs
kleermaker
I simply love GHS. It defines the summer of 1973 for me. And after that the autumn in which I saw them play in Rotterdam, October 13. Good lord, what a sensation that was!

Even though I prefer the Stones live, GHS is one of my favourite studio albums, in the same league with Buttons, Fingers, Exile and Aftermath. Silver Train on a sunny summer day, man, it's as if you're going on a trip by train to unknown territory. Exciting!

And this is how it works of course -your memory to a great summer can make a lame album historic. That's just how it worked with me and Undercover. It's not so much about the quality of the music.

Mathijs

Right, it's "lame" because you said so.

Nope, because it is quite a lame record, with a bad sound (ever listened to the snare drum?) and half-baked songs that either don't work, or work much better live.

Mathijs

I don't think I've ever seen nor heard such a majestic piece of brilliance described as 'lame' until now...you seem to be absolutely puzzled by quality rock n roll...I've assessed you a 15 yard penalty

grinning smiley

Posted by: rob51 ()
Date: September 5, 2013 06:35

Thank's for mentioning this album on it's 40th year of exsistance anzk. A fine record and one with special meories for me. I was 16 the year of it's release and lost my virginity due to my love of the ballad Angie that sweet summer of discovery way back then. My friend I quess, thought it cool that I could get so wound up over what to her was probably nothing but another sucky love song on the radio in the summer of 73 but to me it was magical and I still love to hear the original single to this day.
Somehow I'd heard that the band were to do this tune live on tv one saturday afternoon and this was something rare in those days. I picked up my little sweetheart and knowing no one was to be home at my parants house that day we headed down there to see the live broadcast. You can still see that particular broadcast on youtube. The band plays Angie, probably NOT live but for us kids that hardly ever got to see our heros in those days (no internet and few live tv broadcasts) it was a shock to see what the Stones looked like then and especially how femminin Jagger seemed. Whatever? I loved the whole thing and long story short I learned a lot on my parents couch that long ago saturday afternoon. Thank's Rolling Stones and thanks L.B. wherever you are!

Goat's Head Soup Reheated - 30th Anniversary edition
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: October 8, 2013 17:34

Interesting sound, more bass, on this bootleg "remix" that's new on youtube but must be from 10 years ago since they are calling it the 30th Anniversary edition.

Re: Goat's Head Soup Reheated - 30th Anniversary edition
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 8, 2013 17:43

Mickboy isn't it?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 8, 2013 17:56

Yes, its MB. Even while most here are not fans, I've found the studio stuff to be ex.I'm not a big fan of his live "remasters" but on Goat's he hit paydirt. Even my friend Erik Snow who is probably one of MB's biggest critics admitted this is the best Goat's around.I think even the latest Universal remaster comes up short next to it...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 17:57 by scottkeef.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 8, 2013 18:44

How many Stones albums did Mickboy remaster?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 18:44 by Silver Dagger.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 8, 2013 18:54

Off topic but what a great outtake.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 18:58 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 8, 2013 18:56

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 18:58 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 8, 2013 18:57

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-08 18:57 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 8, 2013 21:07

Redhotcarpet

This version sounds a million times better than what they threw in the original Soup.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: October 8, 2013 22:27

Yeah, I agree, that one is better than the sluggish master version. Dang!

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: October 9, 2013 08:56

Redhotcarpet

Is this included in the MickBoy outtakes or another outtakes CD?

Date: October 9, 2013 10:19

loog droog
Redhotcarpet

This version sounds a million times better than what they threw in the original Soup.

One of the best vocals by Mick ever. Mick Jagger was on fire in 1972/1973. Edit: and Taylor...And Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-09 10:20 by Redhotcarpet.

Date: October 10, 2013 01:00

loog droog
Redhotcarpet

I couldn't possibly agree less. There's nothing in the killer studio version that can be topped AND this isn't really the speed of this outtake to begin with but a leaked bootleg version where the pitch is sped up, giving it a faster tempo (another comment mentions the original is sluggish). It was never played in this key. Mick Taylor's guitar solos on this outtake version are lame and tentative; a later take was rightly chosen. The studio version that opens the record is by far the best version of this song, naysayers be damned! The live versions on that tour are great but can't touch the note-perfect solos Taylor plays on the record, to say nothing of the killer vocal performance by Jagger and the tempo isn't sluggish, it's perfect. They never recorded a rocker quite like this one before or after and the tempo is PERFECT if you're stoned, and, I'd imagine (since I've never tried the stuff) if you're on heroin, which Keith was, hence the grooving tempo. IMHO it opens the album brilliantly and immediately seduces you with the very unique vibe, sound, and blue feeling of GHS. It's not sluggish, it's sexy and slinky! The muddy, kinda creepy, blurry production gives it a really cool feel as well. It's my favorite Stones song and I will fly that freak flag high till the day I die!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 10, 2013 01:32

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this album!!!

Dancing with Mr. D - ***1/2
100 Years Ago - *****
Coming Down Again - *****
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - *****
Angie - ***
Silver Train - ****
Hide Your Love - ****
Winter - *****
Can You Hear the Music - ****
Star Star - * (the only $#!t song on the album, thankfully at the end).

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: October 10, 2013 06:58

GHS was very likely the worst-reviewed Stones album up to that point in time. Time has been a little kinder to it, I think ... but it's still fun to remember what rock'n'roll anarchists like Lester Bangs thought about it at the time:

"Last year he was singing about what he looks like this year. It sounded better than it looks. Just like Jagger on the Goats Head Soup album cover, the filmy scarf or whatever it is making him look sorta like Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis... don't like that smile, it's just vacant... who is this guy anyway... and inside Charlie and Bill no longer likeable, but not even interestingly unpleasant... the whole thing is just pretentious, Mick Taylor is a big @#$%& obviously trying to look bad, amoral, like early Lou Reed or something.... But that's not their image anymore, Mick. What is? Nothing. Nondescript fabulousness... There is a sadness about the Stones now, because they amount to such an enormous So what? The sadness comes when you measure not just one album, but the whole sense they're putting across now against what they once meant... Just because the Stones have abdicated their responsibilities is no reason we have to sit still for this shit! Because there is just literally nothing new happening. Bowie is a style collector with almost no ideas of his own, Reed's basically just reworking his old Velvets ideas, people like Elton John are reaching back into nostalgia but that's a blind alley, and everybody else is playing the blues. So unless we get the Rolling Stones off their asses IT'S THE END OF ROCK 'N' ROLL!"

- Lester Bangs, Creem, December 1973

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: October 10, 2013 12:10

I hope we'll get to hear all the outtakes from these sessions one day...although I supposed they reused the best ones, Tops, WOAF.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 10, 2013 12:16

LongBeachArena72
GHS was very likely the worst-reviewed Stones album up to that point in time. Time has been a little kinder to it, I think ... but it's still fun to remember what rock'n'roll anarchists like Lester Bangs thought about it at the time:

"Last year he was singing about what he looks like this year. It sounded better than it looks. Just like Jagger on the Goats Head Soup album cover, the filmy scarf or whatever it is making him look sorta like Judy Garland in Meet Me in St. Louis... don't like that smile, it's just vacant... who is this guy anyway... and inside Charlie and Bill no longer likeable, but not even interestingly unpleasant... the whole thing is just pretentious, Mick Taylor is a big @#$%& obviously trying to look bad, amoral, like early Lou Reed or something.... But that's not their image anymore, Mick. What is? Nothing. Nondescript fabulousness... There is a sadness about the Stones now, because they amount to such an enormous So what? The sadness comes when you measure not just one album, but the whole sense they're putting across now against what they once meant... Just because the Stones have abdicated their responsibilities is no reason we have to sit still for this shit! Because there is just literally nothing new happening. Bowie is a style collector with almost no ideas of his own, Reed's basically just reworking his old Velvets ideas, people like Elton John are reaching back into nostalgia but that's a blind alley, and everybody else is playing the blues. So unless we get the Rolling Stones off their asses IT'S THE END OF ROCK 'N' ROLL!"

Spot on review of the album and the stones.

Date: October 10, 2013 12:24

grinning smiley

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 10, 2013 12:39

It is funny to read those old reviews from the 70's.... The rock critics were so damn critical and serious at the time... Now no one bothers any longer, since the 'dream is over', everything said and done, and nothing will get any better, it's all either cynical big business for big masses, or then some marginal 'indie' or 'trashbashhackdeath-subvided heavy/metal' stuff, for some devoted nerds, neither having an actual 'say' in the culture or the world, etc. But those old idealists in their mission, the self-acclaimed voices and commentators of rock and roll revolution, oh boy...grinning smiley

But that said, no matter how good album GOATS HEAD SOUP is (and aged damn well), it actully presents the moment when the Stones visibly turned out to "irrelevant old farts", and not any longer the voice of the day. It happened so damn quickly, and I guess not many even noticed clearly at the time. Just a few years earlier, they had released about the most relevant music of their generation with BEGGARS BEGGARS and LET IT BLEED, and STICKY FINGERS had showed how they still sound a damn contemporary and skillful rock band. But in two years - I claim - something happened. I think it has something to do with their most famous album ever. What was, arguably, their biggest artistic triumph, turned out to be their fate as well.

Namely, if anything, after the sophisticated, a claim to modern professionalism of STICKY FINGERS, EXILE ON MAIN STREET transformed the band into such a self-sufficient "universal" rock and roll mood, going beyond time and place (= into contextual irrelevance). It was also a kind of "mission accomplished" album - it gathered all the things the guys had learned since the London club days aping American blues artists, but sounding now arrogantly original. With its loosier feel, much more than more 'uptight' STICKY FINGERS did. But there was no any longer (like there was no in STICKY FINGERS either) "Satisfaction", no "Paint It Black", no "Street Fighting Man", no "Gimme Shelter" to put the time and place into music - but just a damn groovy rock and roll band speaking timeless language, mastering all kinds of forms of American "roots" music.

EXILE, trusting solely finally on their non-compromise instincts, was actually so strong statement that - I claim - it emptied their career-defining creative pockets. A kind of Pyrrho's win in creativewise. Namely, what there was for them, becoming from certain circumstances with certain ideals, to really add? How much more we can do of Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters?

The significance of EXILE could only be seen afterwards. Funnily, the always trendy-reflective critics actually were right at the time - unlike the big audience who welcomed the album much better - in recognizing certain lack of relevance in the album, and that the band was way too 'self-satisfied" in their doings, and taking some way too easy or obvious routes. Some "discipline" or "ambition" should have been needed, they said. But in the long run that attitude of "fvck, we do an album kind of music we just love", turned out to be its lasting merit, and EXILE seemingly still fascinates the listeners needing a proof what a pure "rock and roll spirit" is in its highest form.

So funnily, EXILE's significance - its real originality - was more clearly seen as the band tried to construct followers to it. GOATS HEAD SOUP, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL and BLACK AND BLUE, not being any bad albums at all, but compared to the past - or to the contemporary world then - what was their point? In GOATS HEAD SOUP we can clearly see where EXILE had put them - really 'exile on their own musical never-never-land' - and there was no way getting back to the nerve of the times. Little glam make-up in Jagger's face didn't do that. The years of coping with the trends - and not leading or being a front group of them - started from there, even though they never escaped far from their home vocabulary, manifested in EXILE (sometimes adapting new things better, sometimes worse).

But I think GOATS HEAD SOUP is a beautiful statement how the band was in self-reflective mood, and expressing nicely the sentiments they then were having. The feel of 'no direction' after a creative peak. They want to 'say' something different than in EXILE but not sure what, since they musically are still too bounded to the vocabulary of EXILE. As a result they end up fascinately 'tired', melancholic or even contemplative. But what is remarkable in GOATS HEAD SOUP is also that it starts to 'mean' something only as a part of their own artistic journey, and not how it communicates with the rest of the world. A Stones album only important as a Stones album per se. The band is not any longer a mirror of contemporary music world, but a project of its own.

That didn't mean that the band wasn't so popular any longer. They truely were, but they were "superstars", "big names", "legends" - but not any longer expressing and reflecting the surrounding world in music, but just wandering further their own created path. They were to the 70's as what Elvis was for the 60's.

Ugh, just tried to say a few sarcastic words about 70's rock journalism, but this turned out to be an essay (inspired by that!)grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-10 16:31 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 10, 2013 13:11

To put the long story short: GOATS HEAD SOUP was the first instance of The Stones making not 'trendy' music; by contrast, everything The Stones had done by then had been 'trendy' an sich. My controversial claim is that it was actually EXILE that had put them there musically, but it was still released at the time when The Stones still were highly relevant, trendy an sich.

- Doxa

Date: October 10, 2013 13:23

I don't know if BB, LIB or SF were that trendy. By 1972 the combo of musical styles that wound up on Exile was at least trendy...

In the promotion work for GHS they did all they could to appear trendy, though - in all their make up, glam and stash. Some of that gloss + early funk is to be found on the album musically as well, imo (Silver Train, Dancing With Mr. D and Heartbreaker come to mind).

So, to sum it up: IMO, GHS is as (un)trendy as any Stones record smiling smiley

Posted by: howled ()
Date: October 10, 2013 14:33

Doxa
It is funny to read those old reviews from the 70's.... The rock critics were so damn critical and serious at the time... Now no one bothers any longer, since the 'dream is over', everything said and done, and nothing will get any better, it's all either cynical big business for big masses, or then some marginal 'indie' or 'trashbashhackdeath-subvided heavy/metal' stuff, for some devoted nerds, neither having an actual 'say' in the culture or the world, etc. But those old idealists in their mission, the self-acclaimed voices and commentators of rock and roll revolution, oh boy...grinning smiley

But that said, no matter how good album GOATS HEAD SOUP is (and aged damn well), it actully presents the moment when the Stones visibly turned out to "irrelevant old farts", and not any longer the voice of the day. It happened so damn quickly, and I guess not many even noticed clearly at the time. Just a few years later, they had released about the most relevant music of their generation with BEGGARS BEGGARS and LET IT BLEED, and STICKY FINGERS had showed how they still sound a damn contemporary and skillful rock band. But in two years - I claim - something happened. I think it has something to do with their most famous album ever. What was, arguably, their biggest artistic triumph, turned out to be their fate as well.

Namely, if anything, after the sophisticated, a claim to modern professionalism of STICKY FINGERS, EXILE ON MAIN STREET transformed the band into such a self-sufficient "universal" rock and roll mood, going beyond time and place (= into contextual irrelevance). It was also a kind of "mission accomplished" album - it gathered all the things the guys had learned since the London club days aping American blues artists, but sounding now arrogantly original. With its loosier feel, much more than more 'uptight' STICKY FINGERS did. But there was no any longer (like there was no in STICKY FINGERS either) "Satisfaction", no "Paint It Black", no "Street Fighting Man", no "Gimme Shelter" to put the time and place into music - but just a damn groovy rock and roll band speaking timeless language, mastering all kinds of forms of American "roots" music.

EXILE, trusting solely finally on their non-compromise instincts, was actually so strong statement that - I claim - it emptied their career-defining creative pockets. A kind of Pyrrho's win in creativewise. Namely, what there was for them, becoming from certain circumstances with certain ideals, to really add? How much more we can do of Chuck Berry and Muddy Waters?

The significance of EXILE could only be seen afterwards. Funnily, the always trendy-reflective critics actually were right at the time - unlike the big audience who welcomed the album much better - in recognizing certain lack of relevance in the album, and that the band was way too 'self-satisfied" in their doings, and taking some way too easy or obvious routes. Some "discipline" or "ambition" should have been needed, they said. But in the long run that attitude of "fvck, we do an album kind of music we just love", turned out to be its lasting merit, and EXILE seemingly still fascinates the listeners needing a proof what a pure "rock and roll spirit" is in its highest form.

So funnily, EXILE's significance - its real originality - was more clearly seen as the band tried to construct followers to it. GOATS HEAD SOUP, IT'S ONLY ROCK'N'ROLL and BLACK AND BLUE, not being any bad albums at all, but compared to the past - or to the contemporary world then - what was their point? In GOATS HEAD SOUP we can clearly see where EXILE had put them - really 'exile on their own musical never-never-land' - and there was no way getting back to the nerve of the times. Little glam make-up in Jagger's face didn't do that. The years of coping with the trends - and not leading or being a front group of them - started from there, even though they never escaped far from their home vocabulary, manifested in EXILE (sometimes adapting new things better, sometimes worse).

But I think GOATS HEAD SOUP is a beautiful statement how the band was in self-reflective mood, and expressing nicely the sentiments they then were having. The feel of 'no direction' after a creative peak. They want to 'say' something different than in EXILE but not sure what, since they musically are still too bounded to the vocabulary of EXILE. As a result they end up fascinately 'tired', melancholic or even contemplative. But what is remarkable in GOATS HEAD SOUP is also that it starts to 'mean' something only as a part of their own artistic journey, and not how it communicates with the rest of the world. A Stones album only important as a Stones album per se. The band is not any longer a mirror of contemporary music world, but a project of its own.

That didn't mean that the band wasn't so popular any longer. They truely were, but they were "superstars", "big names", "legends" - but not any longer expressing and reflecting the surrounding world in music, but just wandering further their own created path. They were to the 70's as what Elvis was for the 60's.

Ugh, just tried to say a few sarcastic words about 70's rock journalism, but this turned out to be an essay (inspired by that!)grinning smiley

- Doxa

Back then, some people believed in the music and there were a lot of newer movements springing up and disappearing.

I don't agree about Exile, which I think is basically a load of blues filler crap and the Stones started to make bigger money especially after Sticky Fingers and as Keith said, the Stones could do what they liked and Mick and Keith were no longer 20 and they were going there own ways with a fair bit of money and independence and not having to do things for a hit all the time and that's when the early Stones are over, with Sticky Fingers being their last great album.

Goats Head Soup was another pile of crap except for a few things and Angie is a very good song and Star Star is a pile of filler crap and the rest of it isn't great either.

I had Goats Head Soup when it came out and when Black and Blue came out I wasn't even interested in it and the radio wasn't playing it where I was either and Ronnie joining the band didn't excite me much either.

IORR is another thing with only a few good things on it like IORR.

When I look back to that period, the Eagles and Led Zep were really big and Disco was getting big and then Punk and New Wave were just around the corner and the Stones diminished IMO and I think Some Girls is just total trendy crap from a Stones catalog viewpoint.

I think Mick realized that the Stones hadn't had a hit for a while and he might need to shore up his finances a bit and so Some Girls was the result as Blues/Rock wasn't in the charts much then so the Stones went with the trends hoping to score a hit and they did.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-10-10 14:43 by howled.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 10, 2013 14:45

LongBeachArena72
So unless we get the Rolling Stones off their asses IT'S THE END OF ROCK 'N' ROLL!"

Not much has changed in the last 40 years then winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1970
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home