Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Goats Head Soup - 40th anniversary
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 31, 2013 06:12

DandelionPowderman
Well-known territory, you mean? winking smiley

Oh, I thought you were posting a funny about Kleerie's view that studio recordings having no surprises after you get to know them. smiling bouncing smiley

Date: August 31, 2013 07:56

Delta
Favorite Stones album.

Mine, too! Their best, IMHO! smileys with beer

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 31, 2013 08:32

DandelionPowderman
You never heard ADTL, Mickscarey? winking smiley

Hold on a done deal moment - is Mickscarey still really with us?

Date: August 31, 2013 10:23

slew
Great album.

Question: Why does Dancing With Mr. D get trashed by so many of you? I love that song it has a great vibe. The album really has no weak tracks in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more! My Stones taste is apparently pretty weird though, because two of my three all-time favorite Stones songs EVER are the extraordinarily divisive "Dancing With Mr. D" and "Can You Hear The Music" (the other is "Midnight Rambler," if you were wondering). I do NOT think that a) "D" works better live (the definitive version is the recorded one! so dirty, murky and the best studio guitar solos from Taylor ever) or b) that "D" was lazy, a self-parody or a "groove track" only. In fact, I find it to be a very original rocker of theirs, and nothing they've done before or since has a feel, sound or riff quite like it. The lyrics and vibe are great; the riff is great; the way it builds is great. It's great!

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 31, 2013 10:38

kleermaker
I simply love GHS. It defines the summer of 1973 for me. And after that the autumn in which I saw them play in Rotterdam, October 13. Good lord, what a sensation that was!

Even though I prefer the Stones live, GHS is one of my favourite studio albums, in the same league with Buttons, Fingers, Exile and Aftermath. Silver Train on a sunny summer day, man, it's as if you're going on a trip by train to unknown territory. Exciting!

And this is how it works of course -your memory to a great summer can make a lame album historic. That's just how it worked with me and Undercover. It's not so much about the quality of the music.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-31 10:38 by Mathijs.

Posted by: gibsonman ()
Date: August 31, 2013 12:25

Great album! Heartbraker is one of my favorite stones songs. There`s something about the sound on that one that appeals to me. I also like Dancing with Mr. D. And although Star Star seems pretty simple I also like that one. It sort of brings that little good old rocknroll touch to the album.

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: August 31, 2013 12:33

GasLightStreet
How bout a revamped GSH? Although I don't have Save Me on CD (so my playlist is one short) this would be great.

Dancing With Mr D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Through The Lonely Nights
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Save Me
Tops
Wintet
Waiting On A Friend
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

First of all, GOATS HEAD SOUP is good, in fact very good, as it is, and masterfully represents a coming down feeling, as have been stated in earlier GHS threads . That would be the result of the creative strain in the studio after several great albums and probably(?) a mood of the moment (that is, their moment).

However, in order to make GHS not only a good album , but an outright great one, I like the approach. I have first to say that whereas "Angie" played on its own might be found a little too sweet, in the context of the album I think not, and I would very much like to keep it. You have then identified and taken away the two tracks which for me make GHS fall apart, as an album aspiring to be great, "Silver Train" and "Hide Your Love". As substitutes you propose "Save Me" and "Tops". I have to admit that I have not heard "Save Me" (and when I now sought it and tried to listen to it, it was blocked for me.). "Tops" as it is on TATTOO YOU, is one of the two or three Stones songs I like the least. Possibly (with versions of "Hang Fire" as an example) it might have been in a rather different version then, so perhaps. Otherwise preferably not.

When I have felt that "Winter" does not function so good as album track on GHS and ought instead to have been a good single and be replaced on the album by allegedly available "Waiting on a Friend" (as I therefore have posted in another GHS thread), you suggest most interesting another solution. That is to keep "Winter" and let it be immediately followed by "Waiting on a Friend". If the two preceding songs, the replacements for "Silver Train" and "Hide Your Love", would be adequate, then I think that you have come up with an alternative that could make "Winter" (isolated a very good ballad) work as a classy album track, where, despite its quality, it now to me can't save GHS from the fall from greatness and less than the following "Can't You Hear the Music" .

Possibly "Dancing With Mr D" might have been made more "gothic". On the other hand maybe as it is, it more suits the lethargic feel of the album. I remain undecided about that.

This would make "Coming Down Again" and "Waiting on a Friend" the axis of the album. Provided suitable replacements for the first two songs of what was the B-side of the vinyl album, had been found, and preferably with "Angie" kept, the resulting alternative GOATS HEAD SOUP" could, I don't say it necessarily would, but it could (with "Dancing With Mr D" given a more "gothic" substance and edge(?)), have joined what mignt have been known as the great five '68 - '73. Personally, I don't think the revised GOATS HEAD SOUP would fully qualify among them even then, but it could have been close.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-31 12:54 by Witness.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 31, 2013 12:56

Witness

However, in order to make GHS not only a good album , but an outright great one, I like the approach. I have first to say that whereas "Angie" played on its own might be found a little too sweet, in the context of the album I think not, and I would very much like to keep it. You have then identified and taken away the two tracks which for me make GHS fall apart, as an album aspiring to be great, "Silver Train" and "Hide Your Love". As substitutes you propose "Save Me" and "Tops". I have to admit that I have not heard "Save Me" (and when I now sought it and tried to listen to it, it was blocked for me.). "Tops" as it is on TATTOO YOU, is one of the two or three Stones songs I like the least. Possibly (with versions of "Hang Fire" as an example) it might have been in a rather different version then, so perhaps. Otherwise preferably not.

Here it is:

Date: August 31, 2013 13:15

Thank you very much, Kleermaker!

Yes, this would have been a very adequate substitute for "Silver Train". And it could have given a good balance to a kept preceding "Angie".

Added: Usually, I don't like in these hypothetical cases to propose songs taken away from release, songs that have been the joy of others. So I would have liked "Silver Train" to remain B-side of the "Angie" single, which I then would have bought. And "Hide Your Love" could have been a B-side of another single, without featuring on an album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-31 13:36 by Witness.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: August 31, 2013 14:12

Don Was mentioned the track "Scarlet" as a leftover from GHS, while they were working on the bonus disc for Exile in 2010. He announced it to be "a killer track which will knock everyone off their feet".

So what are you waiting for, release it!!

Pete.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: August 31, 2013 14:46

Witness
GasLightStreet
How bout a revamped GSH? Although I don't have Save Me on CD (so my playlist is one short) this would be great.

Dancing With Mr D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Save Me
Tops
Wintet
Waiting On A Friend
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

First of all, GOATS HEAD SOUP is good, in fact very good, as it is, and masterfully represents a coming down feeling, as have been stated in earlier GHS threads . That would be the result of the creative strain in the studio after several great albums and probably(?) a mood of the moment (that is, their moment).

When I have felt that "Winter" does not function so good as album track on GHS and ought instead to have been a good single and be replaced on the album by allegedly available "Waiting on a Friend" (as I therefore have posted in another GHS thread), you suggest most interesting another solution. That is to keep "Winter" and let it be immediately followed by "Waiting on a Friend". If the two preceding songs, the replacements for "Silver Train" and "Hide Your Love", would be adequate, then I think that you have come up with an alternative that could make "Winter" (isolated a very good ballad) work as a classy album track, where, despite its quality, it now to me can't save GHS from the fall from greatness and less than the following "Can't You Hear the Music" .

Possibly "Dancing With Mr D" might have been made more "gothic". On the other hand maybe as it is, it more suits the lethargic feel of the album. I remain undecided about that.

This would make "Coming Down Again" and "Waiting on a Friend" the axis of the album. Provided suitable replacements for the first two songs of what was the B-side of the vinyl album, had been found, and preferably with "Angie" kept, the resulting alternative GOATS HEAD SOUP" could, I don't say it necessarily would, but it could (with "Dancing With Mr D" given a more "gothic" substance and edge(?)), have joined what mignt have been known as the great five '68 - '73. Personally, I don't think the revised GOATS HEAD SOUP would fully qualify among them even then, but it could have been close.

I think GHS is guite perfect as it is - and almost in the league of the Big Five (GYYYO has to be included). The revised version suggested by GasLightStreet would IMO have weakened GHS. GHS without Angie you must be kidding. Through the lonely nights included instead? The inclusion of Save me would have been fine to me, I do not care that much for Silver Train (was fond of it as a child though). And I think Waiting on a friend and Tops fits so perfect to TY (which I doubt they would in GHS context).
GHS is not only a great record but also interesting when seen as beeing the first Stones record made in certain knowledge that Beatles was no longer on the sideline. It is moody, and a try of being more at home on main street. The only true rocker Star star is a meta-rocker, a deconstructed Berry-pastiche. Why? Maybe because the muse had left the real rockers by that time - listen for instance to that considerable amount of energy they sort forced in to All Down The Line from Exile, which made it work, but not fly like Brown Sugar et al.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: August 31, 2013 17:35

Just from packing station:

German
COC
as good as new

Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:11

One of the Mick Taylor albums, it can't be bad!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 31, 2013 19:18

Mathijs
kleermaker
I simply love GHS. It defines the summer of 1973 for me. And after that the autumn in which I saw them play in Rotterdam, October 13. Good lord, what a sensation that was!

Even though I prefer the Stones live, GHS is one of my favourite studio albums, in the same league with Buttons, Fingers, Exile and Aftermath. Silver Train on a sunny summer day, man, it's as if you're going on a trip by train to unknown territory. Exciting!

And this is how it works of course -your memory to a great summer can make a lame album historic. That's just how it worked with me and Undercover. It's not so much about the quality of the music.

Mathijs

Right, it's "lame" because you said so.

Date: August 31, 2013 21:31

GetYerAngie
The revised version suggested by GasLightStreet would IMO have weakened GHS. GHS without Angie you must be kidding.

I'm not kidding. As much as I love the Stones and the particular sound of this album I can't stand Angie. It's beyond sappy. At least on that tour they made it heavy.

GetYerAngie
Through the lonely nights included instead?

Absolutely. A much better song. In fact it's a fantastic song. When I first heard it I started doing that high-pitched "WHY DID THEY LEAVE THIS OFF!??" voice of my newly felt incredulous exasperation. If you listen to the timbre and overall sonic quality of Through The Lonely Nights and Save Me you'll notice that it has the same sonic vibe as Dancing With Mr D, Heartbreaker - those two tracks would clearly fit the album.

GetYerAngie
The inclusion of Save me would have been fine to me, I do not care that much for Silver Train (was fond of it as a child though). And I think Waiting on a friend and Tops fits so perfect to TY (which I doubt they would in GHS context). GHS is not only a great record but also interesting when seen as beeing the first Stones record made in certain knowledge that Beatles was no longer on the sideline. It is moody, and a try of being more at home on main street. The only true rocker Star star is a meta-rocker, a deconstructed Berry-pastiche. Why? Maybe because the muse had left the real rockers by that time - listen for instance to that considerable amount of energy they sort forced in to All Down The Line from Exile, which made it work, but not fly like Brown Sugar et al.

I know Tops and Waiting On A Friend really don't work with a revamped GHS, although Tops is the closest of the two that, when I listen to it at home with the revamped GHS I usually don't notice.

It's just something fun to do. I've done it with LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE, SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE as well.

There's a very certain sound with GHS that is not quite as prominent in Tops (Charlie's drums are the biggest give away) and is not evident at all in Waiting On A Friend (would someone please explain the Carlos Santana thing, the cha-cha thing? I hear neither and just don't get it).

Star Star was probably written to be just what it is - a simple rocker that is Chuck Berry except actually saying the words instead of implying them. Mick gets to sing his nasty little lyrics while Keith gets to Berry himself. It's a hilarious song. It's not always about having another Moonlight Mile.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: September 1, 2013 13:50

GasLightStreet
GetYerAngie
The revised version suggested by GasLightStreet would IMO have weakened GHS. GHS without Angie you must be kidding.

I'm not kidding. As much as I love the Stones and the particular sound of this album I can't stand Angie. It's beyond sappy. At least on that tour they made it heavy.

GetYerAngie
Through the lonely nights included instead?

Absolutely. A much better song. In fact it's a fantastic song. When I first heard it I started doing that high-pitched "WHY DID THEY LEAVE THIS OFF!??" voice of my newly felt incredulous exasperation. If you listen to the timbre and overall sonic quality of Through The Lonely Nights and Save Me you'll notice that it has the same sonic vibe as Dancing With Mr D, Heartbreaker - those two tracks would clearly fit the album.

GetYerAngie
The inclusion of Save me would have been fine to me, I do not care that much for Silver Train (was fond of it as a child though). And I think Waiting on a friend and Tops fits so perfect to TY (which I doubt they would in GHS context). GHS is not only a great record but also interesting when seen as beeing the first Stones record made in certain knowledge that Beatles was no longer on the sideline. It is moody, and a try of being more at home on main street. The only true rocker Star star is a meta-rocker, a deconstructed Berry-pastiche. Why? Maybe because the muse had left the real rockers by that time - listen for instance to that considerable amount of energy they sort forced in to All Down The Line from Exile, which made it work, but not fly like Brown Sugar et al.

I know Tops and Waiting On A Friend really don't work with a revamped GHS, although Tops is the closest of the two that, when I listen to it at home with the revamped GHS I usually don't notice.

It's just something fun to do. I've done it with LET IT BLEED, STICKY FINGERS, EXILE, SOME GIRLS and EMOTIONAL RESCUE as well.

There's a very certain sound with GHS that is not quite as prominent in Tops (Charlie's drums are the biggest give away) and is not evident at all in Waiting On A Friend (would someone please explain the Carlos Santana thing, the cha-cha thing? I hear neither and just don't get it).

Star Star was probably written to be just what it is - a simple rocker that is Chuck Berry except actually saying the words instead of implying them. Mick gets to sing his nasty little lyrics while Keith gets to Berry himself. It's a hilarious song. It's not always about having another Moonlight Mile.

I don't think we will ever agree about Angie (guess you hate the phantastic second promotion video of Angie too?) - or Through the lonely nights. I can see your point about the vibe but, and quite liked it when I heard it as the b-side to IORR back then, but now I find it somewhat boring in it's californian laidbackness.

Date: September 1, 2013 14:40

Witness
GasLightStreet

Dancing With Mr D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Save Me
Tops
Wintet
Waiting On A Friend
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

When I have felt that "Winter" does not function so good as album track on GHS and ought instead to have been a good single and be replaced on the album by allegedly available "Waiting on a Friend" (as I therefore have posted in another GHS thread), you suggest most interesting another solution. That is to keep "Winter" and let it be immediately followed by "Waiting on a Friend".

This would make "Coming Down Again" and "Waiting on a Friend" the axis of the album. .

There are two objections to my own suggestion here and in an earlier thread. One is most probably not important, but the second possibly is.

I doubt that Mick Taylor on guitar would have taken more away from the song, as we know it, than he would have added to it. Without writing it, this reflection I had made. However, what I have not been aware of, but should have noticed, the lyrics being written several years later than the early version of the song, is more decisive. For some of the attraction of the song is how lyrics and mood interplay with the music. Then it is an open question, whether the resulting song with another lyrics, hypothetically finished and employed on GOATS HEAD SOUP, would have been able to serve as axis of the album together with "Coming Down Again" in the way I have speculated about.

Date: September 1, 2013 19:01

Yeah I get it but for shits and giggles put it on a GHS playlist and enjoy it regardless of context. It's simply about it being recorded for GHS initially. It's not like we're committing Fukushima here and killing most of the Pacific Ocean.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 1, 2013 19:34

michaelsavage
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

Nope, because it is quite a lame record, with a bad sound (ever listened to the snare drum?) and half-baked songs that either don't work, or work much better live.

Mathijs

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 1, 2013 19:35

GHS...it's like an old friend.

Date: September 1, 2013 19:38

"Oh my, did you catch that subtle snare drum. Just terrible"

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: September 1, 2013 19:54

Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

congratulations !! must have been SOME summer !

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: September 1, 2013 21:12

what about the 30th anniversary of "Undercover"????

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: September 1, 2013 23:28

Love Mickboy's "Dancing So Free" remaster of GHS. The whole thing sounds like a contemporary rock album. While there may have been a drought with inspired lyrics, I find the music itself to be quite captivating. Mick Taylor bringing his fluid guitar work.

Imagine what could have been had MJ+KR been "on" lyrically with those backing tracks? They'd be revisited later on to give us Tops and WOAF.

Posted by: ChrisG ()
Date: September 2, 2013 02:54

my first stones album that I bought in '73. was in the eight grade. I still like most of it.

Date: September 2, 2013 04:20

Mathijs
michaelsavage
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

Nope, because it is quite a lame record, with a bad sound (ever listened to the snare drum?) and half-baked songs that either don't work, or work much better live.

Mathijs

I disagree. Listen to how they played Star Star, Mr D or Angie on that 1973 tour and compare them to anytime after that. Yeah they've never played Mr D since and Star Star was pretty good on the next few tours but Heartbreaker and Angie... they can't play them worth a SHIT compared to then.

Date: September 3, 2013 02:30

GREAT GReat album

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: September 3, 2013 03:09

Mathijs
michaelsavage
Mathijs
kleermaker

Mathijs

Mathijs

I don't think I've ever seen nor heard such a majestic piece of brilliance described as 'lame' until now...you seem to be absolutely puzzled by quality rock n roll...I've assessed you a 15 yard penalty

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 3, 2013 07:20

Always have a special place in my heart for GHS as it was released on the day of my birth. But that means I've also now hit the big 4-0 sad smiley

Date: September 3, 2013 11:10

Happy belated birthday, Roll 73 smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home