Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7
Re: Goats Head Soup - 40th anniversary
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 30, 2013 11:41

Munichhilton
CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton
My favorite Mick Taylor involved project...

Mine too! You live in Austin don't ya? I grew up there but moved to SF in 1998. Anyway, definitely my fave Mick Taylor-involved Stones LP; is it, as such, your fave Stones LP period then? It's mine (with Exile 2nd)!

Austin it is...and a huge 49er fan because I grew up south of San Fran...guess we switched...but ah yes, the era. I'm torn between 69-73 and 77-83...both are stellar to the unbiased eye...but GHS is the best output of all

49ers are about to find out who the best team really is on 9/15. That would be my beloved Seattle Seahawks! Just got an awesome ticket last week. It's going to be a war. WOO HOO! smileys with beer

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: August 30, 2013 12:05

I think of all Stones albums until 1983 this one I like the least. It's the vibe, the sound of it that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Mathijs

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: August 30, 2013 12:07

^^ And what happened after 1983 ?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 30, 2013 12:44

A beautiful album with an unique feel on it. If ever has an album suffered of its release date - after the big four - this is it. I think the critical comments given by both Jagger and Richards back then reflected the creative situation then. It has this peculiar "after the peak" feeling in it, but its fascinating and natural.

But after the big four and SOME GIRLS this belongs to the next group of albums in my book. Actually, I would rank only SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU higher of it of the albums ever since.

- Doxa

Date: August 30, 2013 12:54

The blue songs on the album are really, really good (Angie, CDA and CYHTM). IMO, it's a pity that silly songs like Mr D, Silver Train and Star Star got dominant spots on the album. It does something with the listening experience and the album as a whole.

EDIT: Just to ellaborate a little. The Stones were near making a rare art piece with this album - hence the unnecessary "lazy" rockers shouldn't have been included, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 13:02 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 30, 2013 13:29

Yeah, Dandie, it sounds like they were not content with to really follow the muse there, and go more to that "blue" direction, but made some sort of compromises, probably, to not sound too different for commercial reasons. "Mr. D" is boring and doesn't work at all, and "Silver Train" is rather lame after the high-octane EXILE stuff in where they perfected the templete (even I do like the tune). "Star Star" is not bad - actually a clever Berry-pastishe with killer lyrics - but a bit "odd man out" in that album.

But the reason why I like the album is all those mature, reflective melodic songs in it - "100 Years Ago", "Down Again", "Heartbreaker", "Angie", "Hide Your Love" and "Winter" - which is the substance in the album for me, and I think the most time-lasting material there. "Can't You Hear The Music" fits nicely to the atmophere as well (even though I don't care too much about it).

But thinking of all those songs individually, most of them are damn strong material, something I think they only could compete with SOME GIRLS later. Back then, even a bit tired artistically, they were riding so high that they couldn't do much wrong.

- Doxa

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 30, 2013 13:43

Mathijs
I think of all Stones albums until 1983 this one I like the least. It's the vibe, the sound of it that just doesn't appeal to me at all.

Mathijs

For me, it's the vibe I love with it. And the songs are pretty good. And Mick T's guitar playing.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 30, 2013 16:54

Doxa
A beautiful album with an unique feel on it. If ever has an album suffered of its release date - after the big four - this is it. I think the critical comments given by both Jagger and Richards back then reflected the creative situation then. It has this peculiar "after the peak" feeling in it, but its fascinating and natural.

But after the big four and SOME GIRLS this belongs to the next group of albums in my book. Actually, I would rank only SOME GIRLS and TATTOO YOU higher of it of the albums ever since.

- Doxa

I go back and forth with SOME GIRLS, mainly because of its thin sound (especially compared to EMOTIONAL RESCUE). Respectable and Imagination bland it up. Perhaps the issue is knowing what they didn't finish that is considerably better than what is on the album overall (Misty Roads, for example). With the double disc reissue there were only two tracks that stuck out, No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care (You Win Again is OK). The rest were a wash (although the post SOME GIRLS tracks Tallahassee Lassie and We Had It All are supreme, they just aren't part of SOME GIRLS).

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:14

crholmstrom
Munichhilton
CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton
My favorite Mick Taylor involved project...

Mine too! You live in Austin don't ya? I grew up there but moved to SF in 1998. Anyway, definitely my fave Mick Taylor-involved Stones LP; is it, as such, your fave Stones LP period then? It's mine (with Exile 2nd)!

Austin it is...and a huge 49er fan because I grew up south of San Fran...guess we switched...but ah yes, the era. I'm torn between 69-73 and 77-83...both are stellar to the unbiased eye...but GHS is the best output of all

49ers are about to find out who the best team really is on 9/15. That would be my beloved Seattle Seahawks! Just got an awesome ticket last week. It's going to be a war. WOO HOO! smileys with beer

Enjoy the game sir...

Date: August 30, 2013 17:17

How bout a revamped GSH? Although I don't have Save Me on CD (so my playlist is one short) this would be great.

Dancing With Mr D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Through The Lonely Nights
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Save Me
Tops
Winter
Waiting On A Friend
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-30 17:18 by GasLightStreet.

Posted by: howled ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:25

Star Star sounds like something they threw together in 5 minutes.

Heartbreaker is ok for an album track.

Angie is the stand out track as was Tumbling Dice on Exile.

All of the rest are boring.

The Stones know when a song stands out and those songs were usually released as singles.

Great keyboards from Nicky Hopkins on Angie.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:35

Winter, the best.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:51

GasLightStreet
How bout a revamped GSH? Although I don't have Save Me on CD (so my playlist is one short) this would be great.

Dancing With Mr D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Save Me
Tops
Winter
Waiting On A Friend
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

Sounds good to me

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:55

love it

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 30, 2013 17:56

Apart from 100 years ago and Winter, the rest is forgettable.
Although, its a better album than anything they have done after Tattoo You..but thats not saying alot

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 30, 2013 19:12

goats head soup.

very good album, dont know why its dissed so much.

songs i like very much.

silver train
star star
heartbreaker
angie

songs i like.

winter
hide your love
dancing with mr d

songs which are ok

coming down again
can you hear the music

songs i dont really like

100 years ago

i loved this stones period, not as good as the 1968-72 period but what is.

also loved the period from 1964-67 and from 1976-83 which was underrated aswell.

stones were excellent for 20 years, and even since the comeback tour of 1989 and the steal wheels album, they have produced around 90 songs that were written themselves, thats enough to fill 9 albums in a little over 24 years, so its not exactly the lean period people make out.

Date: August 30, 2013 20:24

GasLightStreet
Doxa

- Doxa

I go back and forth with SOME GIRLS, mainly because of its thin sound (especially compared to EMOTIONAL RESCUE). Respectable and Imagination bland it up. Perhaps the issue is knowing what they didn't finish that is considerably better than what is on the album overall (Misty Roads, for example). With the double disc reissue there were only two tracks that stuck out, No Spare Parts and Do You Think I Really Care (You Win Again is OK). The rest were a wash (although the post SOME GIRLS tracks Tallahassee Lassie and We Had It All are supreme, they just aren't part of SOME GIRLS).

Only the rockers have a somewhat thin sound, not MY, SG, FAE, BOB, BTMMR and Shattered.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 30, 2013 21:24

I simply love GHS. It defines the summer of 1973 for me. And after that the autumn in which I saw them play in Rotterdam, October 13. Good lord, what a sensation that was!

Even though I prefer the Stones live, GHS is one of my favourite studio albums, in the same league with Buttons, Fingers, Exile and Aftermath. Silver Train on a sunny summer day, man, it's as if you're going on a trip by train to unknown territory. Exciting!

Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 30, 2013 22:39

Mathijs

Mathijs

Wrong. GREAT album

Date: August 30, 2013 22:40

GasLightStreet

Dancing With Mr D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Save Me
Tops
Winter
Waiting On A Friend
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

No. The album is Great as released

Date: August 30, 2013 22:42

Well-known territory, you mean? winking smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 30, 2013 22:44

DandelionPowderman

grinning smiley

Date: August 30, 2013 23:05

DandelionPowderman

No

Date: August 30, 2013 23:07

You never heard ADTL, Mickscarey? winking smiley

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 30, 2013 23:32

I think he did, just like me. But those songs differ very much as to their respective mood. Anyone can hear that. It's not because they both have something to do with railways and trains that they are similar!

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 30, 2013 23:36

DandelionPowderman
You never heard ADTL, Mickscarey? winking smiley

You could fill albums with the Stones songs that sound, or have a similar theme, to other ones. No big thing to me.

Date: August 30, 2013 23:39

No, something about the tempo, the chords, the feel and the energy as well.

I agree that they aren't as alike as Mick claimed, but ADTL will always be the big brother, the real deal or the masterpiece of those two songs.

Taylor plays excellent on both, btw.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: August 30, 2013 23:48

If I'm remembering right, I think I actually like the more Exily outtake of Silver Train. The mix is muddier and it's got a little more drive.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: August 31, 2013 06:07

Great album.

Question: Why does Dancing With Mr. D get trashed by so many of you? I love that song it has a great vibe. The album really has no weak tracks in my opinion.

Date: August 31, 2013 06:08

michaelsavage
GasLightStreet

Dancing With Mr D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Save Me
Tops
Winter
Waiting On A Friend
Can You Hear The Music
Star Star

No. The album is Great as released

Well, OK, sure. It is. BUT. I like it better the way I made it.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 2 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2073
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home