Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7
Goats Head Soup - 40th anniversary
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:58

Goats Head Soup was released in UK on 31st of August 1973. Very nice record, I like to come back to it every now and then, some great, underrated tracks there. And it introduced a bit more "mature" Stones, more collected, musically less "all over the place", more focused on melody. True it's less powerful than SF and EOMS and does not have that many hits, but there is some kind of true charm to this record.

Songs I love:
- Heartbreaker (grrreat guitars)
- 100 Years Ago (nice piece of Motown funk)
- Coming Down Again (amazing ballad, one of the best by Keith)
- Star Star (a tasty bit of R&B inspired by Chuck Berry)

Songs I Like very much:
- Winter (beautiful)
- Hide Your Love (great piano)

Songs that are OK:
- Angie (the strings make it too much pop, "But Angie, I still love you baby")
- Can You Hear The Music (some nice funk here but it lacks a bit of imagination)

Songs that I don't like
- Dancing With Mr. D (starts promising, but quickly it's obvious it's going nowhere)
- Silver Train (too much glam for me)

What do you think about GHS?

Re: Goats Head Soup - 40th anniversary
Posted by: michaelsavage ()
Date: August 29, 2013 22:15

Superb album

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 29, 2013 22:16

My favorite Mick Taylor involved project...great LP and recording sessions that produced excellent out takes in an atmosphere never duplicated prior or since...

This ones to the soup!

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()

Love it. Gonna go put it on now

\m/

Posted by: reg thorpe ()

Love it

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 29, 2013 22:20

I LOVE it.

I wish they'd do something with it. I have Rarities so that's nice to have Through The Lonely Nights but it would be great if they'd put out Save Me officially. Short And Curlies made it on the next LP and everyone knows what happened to Tops and Waiting On A Friend.

Perhaps the only other finished track is Windmill. They didn't do a lot compared to other sessions.

Date: August 29, 2013 22:25

Munichhilton
My favorite Mick Taylor involved project...

Mine too! You live in Austin don't ya? I grew up there but moved to SF in 1998. Anyway, definitely my fave Mick Taylor-involved Stones LP; is it, as such, your fave Stones LP period then? It's mine (with Exile 2nd)!

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:05

I remember hearing it for the first time the week it came out very well. Liked it very much and and the more so as I heard it a few more times. Nothing has changed except if anything I think even more highly of it now. Have always said it's a top three for me alongside Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:10

100 Years Ago is an ace song, just not so keen on the arrangement. Coming Down Again is also ace and the arrangement fits the words very well.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:18

Adore GHS...there's just something about this album that makes it special and it's hard for me to put my finger on it. At times, it has been my favorite Stones album...contemplative, wistful, mysterious, sometimes sad, and then raucous and raunchy. I never get tired of listening to it.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:18

Didn't this topic just get covered recently?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:20

1st Stones album, loved it then, love it now..............

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:25

Would LOVE a DELUXE VERSION !!!!
Great album, one of my favorites.

Jeroen

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:27

Coming down again, Winter.................

My God ...

Those were the songs...They put a tear right in my eye.

Jeroen

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: August 29, 2013 23:56

corriecas
Coming down again, Winter.................

My God ...

Those were the songs...They put a tear right in my eye.

Jeroen

thumbs up

Date: August 29, 2013 23:59

Angie, CDA and CYHTM are great songs.

Date: August 30, 2013 00:03

loog droog

[www.iorr.org]

Well, sure, but this thread title is better.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: August 30, 2013 01:25

its a great,great record. it has many misconceptions about it,the main one being that the band was in a "lull" at that point in time.it was actually recorded on a break between the 1972 u.s tour and the 1973 european tour,hardly a time when the stones werent playing well.

the problem alot have fans have is that its not exile or let it bleed or sticky-

of course not.its strength lies in what makes the stones the best rock and roll band ever-the ability to not repeat themselves over and over.

to this day even records such as bigger bang,voodoo lounge etc with all their flaws,sound very different from one another.

how anyone who likes the stones can find songs they "dont like" on goats head just baffles me,but to each their own.

Date: August 30, 2013 01:31

CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton

Mine too! You live in Austin don't ya? I grew up there but moved to SF in 1998. Anyway, definitely my fave Mick Taylor-involved Stones LP; is it, as such, your fave Stones LP period then? It's mine (with Exile 2nd)!

Austin it is...and a huge 49er fan because I grew up south of San Fran...guess we switched...but ah yes, the era. I'm torn between 69-73 and 77-83...both are stellar to the unbiased eye...but GHS is the best output of all

Date: August 30, 2013 01:32

loog droog

[www.iorr.org]

This is the second of 40 planned threads regarding GHS...it's an anniversary thing, don't ruin it...

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: August 30, 2013 02:29

GHS is a great album: great cover, great songs, great musicians. Yet I always see disparaging comments about it: how Jimmy Miller dropped the ball on this album, how it pales compared to the three (or four) before it, and so forth. I even read something about how either Mick or Keith (I think the former) said he knew it wasn't going to be a good album even as GHS was being recorded.

I have always liked GHS and I like it more & more as time goes on. I'm glad to see others fans feel like I do.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 30, 2013 03:19

Yes, good album. But nowadays I only listen to my favorites on my iphone:

Dancing with mr. d
Angie
100 years ago
Silver train
Star Star
Coming down again
Heartbreaker

Date: August 30, 2013 04:17

Munichhilton
CanYouHearTheMusic
Munichhilton

Austin it is...and a huge 49er fan because I grew up south of San Fran...guess we switched...but ah yes, the era. I'm torn between 69-73 and 77-83...both are stellar to the unbiased eye...but GHS is the best output of all

So GHS is your #1 fave Stones album? I guess the way I phrased that sounded like "period they recorded albums" but I meant "is it your favorite album, period?" grinning smiley

Yeah, we switched! Austin is awesome though . . .

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: August 30, 2013 04:34

Just listened to some of the 30th anniversary edition, the mixes sound beautiful.

Date: August 30, 2013 04:41

Dancing with Mr. D - ***1/2
100 Years Ago - *****
Coming Down Again - *****
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) - *****
Angie - **
Silver Train - ***
Hide Your Love - ***1/2
Winter - *****
Can You Hear the Music - ****
Star Star - ****

Undoubtedly they could have, had they finished them, put some different songs on this LP to lively it up a bit. Save Me in place of Silver Train is the most obvious. I know Angie is a big track but... Through The Lonely Nights is the better song. I do like Hide Your Love for its laziness as well as it's somewhat dirty in a way (not rated X dirty, just a grimey song) but certainly Tops, had they finished it - and obviously it would not have turned out the way it did on TATTOO YOU - would have been the better choice.

That leaves Waiting On A Friend. I have yet to understand the 'cha cha cha' and Spanish influenced guitar playing that all these reviewers continue to spew about. I hear nothing of the kind with that song. Clearly it would not have turned out the way it did for TATTOO YOU as well (Wikipedia is the only place, that I've ever seen, that claims Taylor's guitar was wiped from it and it's only Keith on the track) since that killer sax was added in 1981.

Chuck Leavell needs to really listen to Nicky Hopkins ie How To Play The Piano.

Posted by: Delta ()
Date: August 30, 2013 06:42

Favorite Stones album.

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: August 30, 2013 07:37

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: August 30, 2013 09:16

simply great!

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: August 30, 2013 11:21

I think it's a great and totally underrated album. I like it more than Beggars Banquet and at times even more than Exile. GHS is a forgotten gem.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 30, 2013 11:36

40 years. Eesh!smoking smiley

Goto Page: 1234567Next
Current Page: 1 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1216
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home