Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WADDY's TOP 11 ALBUMS
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 28, 2013 22:50

Hello all,
Interesting tales from Waddy and the top 11 discs he played on. He talks about Talk is Cheap and Bridges.

Nothing most of us haven't heard before

[www.musicradar.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-28 22:53 by Cafaro.

Re: WADDY's TOP 12 ALBUMS
Date: August 28, 2013 22:52

Bridges:

The Rolling Stones – Bridges To Babylon (1997)

“It’s strange to find yourself in the studio with the Stones, that’s for sure. Woody wasn’t in town yet, so Keith called me up and said, ‘Why don’t you come down and play?’ I had met the guys before, and Don Was the producer – I knew him. Keith wanted somebody to play off of him. It was great – every night was a shared musical experience. I kept being invited back.

“They had every room at Ocean Way booked; there was something happening all the time. Tracking, editing, mixing – every room had some kind of activity. We’d get there at seven at night and wouldn’t leave till five or seven the next morning. It went on for a month and a half. So many great sessions went down.

“On interesting story about this record: Don Was came to me and said that he wanted me to play lead on a song called Has Anybody Seen My Baby? I said, ‘Really?’ And he said, ‘Yeah, it’s Mick’s tune, and Keith doesn’t want to play on it, but if you play on it, I know he will.’ So I said, ‘OK.’

“So we’re setting up, and I’m listening to it with Mick and Don, and every time this one spot came up, something sounded wrong to me. Mick went out, and I looked at Don and said, ‘Somebody is playing something wrong in this spot. Listen.’ So we started isolating the parts, and it came down to Mick was the one who was playing it wrong. Don was like, ‘Waddy, you gotta tell him.’ I said, ‘Me? I’m not producing this!’

“But he asked me and asked me, and so finally I went out and said, ‘Mick, isn’t the chorus supposed to go like this?’ I played it for him, and he said, ‘Yeah, that’s right.’ I said, ‘Well, you’re playing it wrong.’ He was like, ‘What?! What the @#$%&!’ We go to the lounge and he pulls out his notebook, and he’s got chord symbols for himself written on the page. ‘See?’ he says. ‘It’s right there.’ And I said, ‘Yeah, it’s right on the page, but you’re not playing it right.’ And he went, ‘@#$%&!’ So he went back in and replayed his part.

“But that’s the way it is with him and the rest of the guys. Every note is important to them. And to his credit, Mick was cool. He was totally grateful and totally into the fact that it had to be fixed.”

Re: WADDY's TOP 11 ALBUMS
Date: August 28, 2013 22:55

Talk is Cheap:

I entered into Keith’s orbit when he was in L.A. working on Hail! Hail! Rock ‘N’ Roll, the Chuck Berry movie. I got a call from somebody who said, ‘I represent Keith Richards, and he’s looking for you. ‘He’s looking for me?’ I said. ‘Well, why don’t you give him my number – you found me!’

“He told me to call Keith at Larrabee Studios. I got him on the phone and he said, ‘Waddy! How are you? Listen, I’m putting a band together, and you’re in it.’ I said, ‘Well, OK. There goes the audition process.’ Keith was like, ‘No audition. You’re in.’

“Working with Keith’s guitar style was interesting. Because of the way I approach things, I’m looking for those holes. That’s what Danny Kortchmar and I would do: Find where the other guy isn’t, and that’s where you have to be. With Keith, if he’s playing a trebly sound, I’ll use my Les Paul; if he’s doing a big, fat rhythm sound, I’ll play my Strat. We locked very quickly, in fact. It was very easy for me to find the right spots.

“We were all amazed at how it came together. We barely rehearsed before we went to Canada. The only song I knew was Take It So Hard, and that’s because it was the one that was the most finished. We didn’t even rehearse before we started working on the record. With the song Struggle, there’s the part where there’s a drum break, and I remember looking around and nobody knew what to do – we hadn’t rehearsed it. Steve Jordan did his bit on the drums, and I thought, ‘If somebody doesn’t do something here, it’s going to come to a halt.’ So I did a walk-down bit that was completely improvised. I went for it. It was like that – very loose but totally remarkable.”

“The level of musicianship in that band was astonishing. Keith, Steve Jordan, Charley Drayton, Bobby Keys, and then you add Ivan Neville – the match was so great. What a lot of fun.”

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 29, 2013 00:59

Thanks for the transcriptions!
Especially the story about Bridges was great. Funny how Don Was didn't wanna tell Mick he was playing the wrong notes -- and how Keith didn't wanna play on Mick's song (which is kinda sad too).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 29, 2013 01:11

LieB
Especially the story about Bridges was great. Funny how Don Was didn't wanna tell Mick he was playing the wrong notes -- and how Keith didn't wanna play on Mick's song (which is kinda sad too).

yeah, I found that quite sad as well. I wonder if Mick refuses to sing Keith songs too?

Date: August 29, 2013 01:12

It might have something to do with it being a Michael Jackson-esque disco tune? winking smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 29, 2013 01:13

Keith was right about "Anybody Seen My Baby". The song is a total rip-off (Constant Craving, KD Lang).

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 29, 2013 02:33

Stoneage
Keith was right about "Anybody Seen My Baby". The song is a total rip-off (Constant Craving, KD Lang).

It would only be a rip off if they didnt credit the original composer. Which they did. Even though it was only a few notes that were identical.

Wachtel's solo at the end of that song is the best thing on the entire album IMO. Beautiful.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 29, 2013 02:45

I know they did, Gazza. I think there is a greater similarity between the songs than just a few notes though. The first thing I thought when I listened to ASMB the first time was KD Langs (brilliant) hit.
And I was astonished that they chose this song as their first single on the album.

Date: August 29, 2013 05:30

DandelionPowderman
It might have something to do with it being a Michael Jackson-esque disco tune? winking smiley

I must profess I don't know the Michael Jackson catalogue intimately.

What of his songs do you think it is similar too?

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 29, 2013 07:10

LieB

And he didn't play on Saint Of me also. So what happened here keith? Stomping your feet again.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: August 29, 2013 08:00

Why are they getting other people playing on their records? I don't understand their process. They can't just do it all themselves anymore? Where was Ronnie? Shouldn't he have played the solos? Nothing against Waddy at all, I am just curious as to why.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: August 29, 2013 08:07

sanQ
Why are they getting other people playing on their records? I don't understand their process. They can't just do it all themselves anymore? Where was Ronnie? Shouldn't he have played the solos? Nothing against Waddy at all, I am just curious as to why.

Charlie was having a tough time with You Can't Always Get What You Want, which he doesn't play on. Jimmy Miller played on that recording instead.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 29, 2013 08:11

sanQ

Me too. Who in this world could possibly have replaced Keith Richards or Ronnie Wood on a Rolling Stones album for a guitar-solo/riff? If Bob Dylan uses different musicians on his albums is a thing I can understand on the other hand.

2 1 2 0

Date: August 29, 2013 08:51

Come On
sanQ

Me too. Who in this world could possibly have replaced Keith Richards or Ronnie Wood on a Rolling Stones album for a guitar-solo/riff? If Bob Dylan uses different musicians on his albums is a thing I can understand on the other hand.

Maybe Jimmy Page wasn't available...he used to be a Rolling Stone too, no?

Date: August 29, 2013 09:34

treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Not so much similar in notes as in feel. The opening riff in particular has this Billy Jean/Bad-feel. And it is lightweight in the same way, imo.

That doesn't mean that I don't like the tune in many ways - I actually do. And I think Keith's playing on the chorus is very nice - the clean sounding guitar.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: August 29, 2013 11:12

More Hot Rocks
LieB

And he didn't play on Saint Of me also. So what happened here keith? Stomping your feet again.

Why also?...he as a matter of fact did play finally on HASMB.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 29, 2013 11:51

treaclefingers
LieB

yeah, I found that quite sad as well. I wonder if Mick refuses to sing Keith songs too?

Probably for that reason BRIDGES TO BABYLON contains the best individual tracks of the late-day Stones. Neither Mick or Keith didn't need to make compromises with each other, but just follow their own intuitions.

- Doxa

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 29, 2013 11:52

Being a massive Jackson and Stones fan my entire life, this is the first time I read a comparison between the two, but to each his own.
Besides the Black or White riff (sounds like It must be hell).

Btw...happy birthday Michael!

(Billie Jean is not lightweight. Pop is not by definition lightweight.)

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: August 29, 2013 11:54

DandelionPowderman
treaclefingers
DandelionPowderman

Not so much similar in notes as in feel. The opening riff in particular has this Billy Jean/Bad-feel. And it is lightweight in the same way, imo.

That doesn't mean that I don't like the tune in many ways - I actually do. And I think Keith's playing on the chorus is very nice - the clean sounding guitar.

Payback for him stealing "Soul Survivor" and/or "It Must Be Hell" for his "Black or White" song. >grinning smiley<

Date: August 29, 2013 11:56

Gazza

Wachtel's solo at the end of that song is the best thing on the entire album IMO. Beautiful.

And I have always thought that "that was a nice one, Ronnie"...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: August 29, 2013 12:00

DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I have also get those Michael Jackson - especially Billy Jean - vibes of it, but I don't understand why is that "lightweight", especially concerning the "original", which is one of the hottest riffs ever in popular music? Sounds a bit pejorative expression.

- Doxa

Date: August 29, 2013 12:01

One of the highlights on that album for me is Ronnie's beautiful dobro-playing on Already Over Me thumbs up

Date: August 29, 2013 12:11

Anyways, Waddy's tale about Keith didn't want to contribute to "Anybody Seen My Love?" reminds me of bad vibes I get of reading LIFE. There Keef makes it so important to tell all of us that (was it) one of his kids recognizing the KD Lang connection. And not just that but telling this as an example of how Mick "writes". Yeah, a book full of macho blade showing, but what actually he does there is to use that weapon for back-throbbing of his most important work partner ever.

- Doxa

Date: August 29, 2013 12:14

DandelionPowderman
One of the highlights on that album for me is Ronnie's beautiful dobro-playing on Already Over Me thumbs up

To hear that, one needs to listen the song, which is a pain in the ass...

- Doxa

Date: August 29, 2013 12:25

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

Yeah, I have also get those Michael Jackson - especially Billy Jean - vibes of it, but I don't understand why is that "lightweight", especially concerning the "original", which is one of the hottest riffs ever in popular music? Sounds a bit pejorative expression.

- Doxa

Lightweight musically, imo. No grit, no punch, no swing. The same goes for Billie Jean.

Date: August 29, 2013 12:25

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

To hear that, one needs to listen the song, which is a pain in the ass...

- Doxa

The choruses are awful, but I really like the intro, the verses and Keith's guitar theme. The latter sounds fresh and good still today.

Date: August 29, 2013 12:50

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Lightweight musically, imo. No grit, no punch, no swing. The same goes for Billie Jean.

A wrong opinion.grinning smiley Surely, the riff of "Anybody Seen My Love?" can be called "lightweight", but hell no that of "Billie Jean", which is one of the most effective riffs ever made to move your ass, to like it or not, something people like Jagger can only dream of... Claiming that is has no "grit, punch, swing" just tells that you have no clue, man...

- Doxa

Date: August 29, 2013 12:53

Wrong opinion? LOL! grinning smiley Eddie Van Halen makes me cringe, whatever he does.

The guitar sounds like it's pasted on top of the song, for starters. That alone makes it as unswinging as it gets. The melody in the riff, however, is really nice. So is the riff-melody in ASMB.

It doesn't make me move...

Bad makes me move a couple of toes at best...

Date: August 29, 2013 13:08

Doesn't make you move... I'm worried about you, something terribly wrong with you, man! grinning smiley You guitar nerds a bit too one-track minded sometimes, you know (but yes, I also hate Eddie Van Halen). But okay okay, okay, we all have our own tastes...smileys with beer

So the day became when I was forced to defend Michael Jackson here... I'm not any fan of his, but I recognize the extraordinarity when there is one... But let us change the subject, for god sakes...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home