Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: WADDY's TOP 11 ALBUMS
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2013 13:17

Doxa
But let us change the subject, for god sakes...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

If Ronnie could, for what ever reason, not remain in the stones, would Waddy work as a replacement? Obvious answer there, so more a case of would Mick accept him as a replacement? grinning smiley

Date: August 29, 2013 13:29

Doxa
Doesn't make you move... I'm worried about you, something terribly wrong with you, man! grinning smiley You guitar nerds a bit too one-track minded sometimes, you know (but yes, I also hate Eddie Van Halen). But okay okay, okay, we all have our own tastes...smileys with beer

So the day became when I was forced to defend Michael Jackson here... I'm not any fan of his, but I recognize the extraordinarity when there is one... But let us change the subject, for god sakes...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

It's just like with Dirty Work for many fans. The songs wouldn't be THAT bad (apart from BTZ and WU) if they weren't produced so horrendously grinning smiley

You'll go under the name "Timo Jackson" from now on (and I won't forget) winking smiley

PS: I like several songs on Thriller...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 29, 2013 13:45

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Doesn't make you move... I'm worried about you, something terribly wrong with you, man! grinning smiley You guitar nerds a bit too one-track minded sometimes, you know (but yes, I also hate Eddie Van Halen). But okay okay, okay, we all have our own tastes...smileys with beer

So the day became when I was forced to defend Michael Jackson here... I'm not any fan of his, but I recognize the extraordinarity when there is one... But let us change the subject, for god sakes...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

It's just like with Dirty Work for many fans. The songs wouldn't be THAT bad (apart from BTZ and WU) if they weren't produced so horrendously grinning smiley

You'll go under the name "Timo Jackson" from now on (and I won't forget) winking smiley

PS: I like several songs on Thriller...

Here we go, Dandie Van Halen...

To me "Billie Jean" and THRILLER are so era-defining releases that I cannot think them sounding any different as they do. I mean, DIRTY WORK might suffer from 80's production, and the band sounds like not being home with those sounds, but Jacko's stuff is so trend-leading, and masterful in those premises. It sounds "natural". A monument of its times with an eternal appeal.

- Timo Jackson

Date: August 29, 2013 13:49

"Era-defining"

Yep, they were.

But today it sounds lightweight - hence not timeless and good grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 14:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:18

sanQ
Why are they getting other people playing on their records? I don't understand their process. They can't just do it all themselves anymore? Where was Ronnie? Shouldn't he have played the solos? Nothing against Waddy at all, I am just curious as to why.

It´s not strange that they invite guests to play from time to time. I think that only can be refreshing. What I do find is rather odd is the vast number of songs Bill Wyman doesn´t play on.

Date: August 29, 2013 14:29

Imagine Torn And Frayed without Al Perkins' solo, for instance...

Sometimes guests will spice it up nicely, that's why.

Heck, even the Beatles had Brian Jones as a guest grinning smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:46

Indeed. The Stones have used guest musicians on almost every album, and some of their best efforts had major input from those people. I guess it only becomes controversial when guests play important guitar parts, since it puts Keith and Ronnie (or Mick T) into question.

What I do find is rather odd is the vast number of songs Bill Wyman doesn´t play on.
grinning smiley

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:47

What has Eddie Van Halen got to do with Billie Jean?

It's the great David Williams who plays guitar on Billie Jean.
Eddie Van Halen plays on Beat It, and only the solo. The riff is played by Steve Lukather.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 15:03 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 29, 2013 14:55

Waddy is a better guitarist than Woody. Anyway you look at it. Woody is a habil guitarist at best.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 29, 2013 15:04

LieB
Indeed. The Stones have used guest musicians on almost every album, and some of their best efforts had major input from those people. I guess it only becomes controversial when guests play important guitar parts, since it puts Keith and Ronnie (or Mick T) into question.

I think every album has additional musicians.

Date: August 29, 2013 15:11

Stoneage
Waddy is a better guitarist than Woody. Anyway you look at it. Woody is a habil guitarist at best.

This video is a "barely competent" guitarist playing? LOL! It's incredible that you even believe what you're writing grinning smiley

Waddy is brilliant, but he hasn't got half of Ronnie's signature style - and he hasn't made half of the brilliant songs Ronnie have written.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 15:13 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: August 29, 2013 15:22

Okey, put it like this. Maybe he was brilliant with The Faces (I don't know I never followed them) but in The Stones he hasn't made that mark for himself. He's been more of a support guitarist to Keith. I'm sure it's not his fault though. And the drugs haven't made things better. Don't get me wrong though. I'm not saying he's not a good guitarist.

Date: August 29, 2013 15:25

Just listen to the Faces albums. They speak for themselves.

If you still believe he was barely competent, you'll think the same about Waddy - trust me.

Remember, it isn't easy playing with Keith - and Waddy didn't stand out in any other way with the Winos - than being solid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-08-29 15:31 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 29, 2013 15:45

The Cowsills number 1 - are you serious? eye popping smiley

Date: August 29, 2013 15:55

BowieStone
What has Eddie Van Halen got to do with Billie Jean?

It's the great David Williams who plays guitar on Billie Jean.
Eddie Van Halen plays on Beat It, and only the solo. The riff is played by Steve Lukather.

Ha ha, good question grinning smiley

While confusingly mentioning Billie Jean constantly, we're indeed talking about Beat It drinking smiley

Date: August 29, 2013 16:02

Elmo Lewis
The Cowsills number 1 - are you serious? eye popping smiley

Sentimental reasons, as he says. "But that’s how I got to Los Angeles and got my name on a record"...

Date: August 29, 2013 16:33

Doxa
Anyways, Waddy's tale about Keith didn't want to contribute to "Anybody Seen My Love?" reminds me of bad vibes I get of reading LIFE. There Keef makes it so important to tell all of us that (was it) one of his kids recognizing the KD Lang connection. And not just that but telling this as an example of how Mick "writes". Yeah, a book full of macho blade showing, but what actually he does there is to use that weapon for back-throbbing of his most important work partner ever.

- Doxa

In Jagger's untold auto-biography, he talks of how one of his daughters came up to him and told him that while listening to Bridges, she fell into deep sleep during the snoozapalooza towards the end of the album. Suddenly she woke up from the dozefest to finally hear something interesting in the last 11 minutes of the album - the instrumentals - there was a stunning sax solo. She thought hey – it’s nice to be woken up to a sax solo from the End of the Innocence or is it the sax solo from Sting’s version of Little Wing.....

Date: August 29, 2013 16:49

grinning smiley

Posted by: deeppurple ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:25

The first time I heard "Anybody seen my baby", I knew it was not Keith nor Ron playing the solo at the end of the song. Having read the Waddy was in the studio with them, I assumed it was him. I agreed about it being the best thing on the entire album. Btw, I prefer "BTB" to "ABB" any day.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: August 29, 2013 17:59

Don Was was afraid to tell Mick that he was playing something wrong? Surely that´s the problem with latter - day Stones album. A producer with no balls to push the musicians a bit.

"Yes Mick!"
"Sound´s great Mick"
"I love it Mick"

And (most of) the results? Zzzzzzzzz

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:21

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
One of the highlights on that album for me is Ronnie's beautiful dobro-playing on Already Over Me thumbs up

To hear that, one needs to listen the song, which is a pain in the ass...

- Doxa

LOL!!

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 29, 2013 21:32

John Cowsill was the drummer on the Beach Boys reunion tour. I've seen him a few times make a guest appearance at the Joint for Waddy's shows.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home